Best 24 inch LCD ~$500 - $600 (general use)

quikslyver

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Greetings all, and thank you for all the posts that have lead me to the choices that i'm currently considering!

Looking at, of course, the obligatory Dell 2408wfp, revision ao1
HP LP2475W
Thirdly, the Samsung ToC T260 HD (with built in HDTV tuner)
and 4thly, Benq FP241VW, the oldest of the bunch, but with pretty good reviews

The Dell and the HP are VERY comparable according to the reviews i've been perusing, though the dell is a pva panel if i recall correctly, and the HP is a new h-ips panel. Colorwise, according to reviews, they are incredibly close, though, interestingly, Dell claims 110% color, while HP only claims 92%, but after colorimeter calibration, the HP actually slightly beat the Dell. Spec for spec they trade blows; my biggest hesitation on the Dell is the input lag is rated as 64ms vrs the hps 25 ms, however, this was measured with a revision a00, not the a01, anyone know if this has been improved with the new revision?

The Benq has good reviews, but i understand it is being discontinued ... which means lower prices, but who knows what kind of support ...

The Samsung has good reviews as well, and it's a 26 inch; but my question with this one is, a consumer review said it had a TN panel, but i thought i read somewhere that it did not? Anyone able to confirm or deny that?

I use it for probably 40% gaming, 30% internet surfing, 20% HD movies (mixed in with a little home photography work and the occasional home movie making) and 10% document/ office stuff.

I hope to purchase one of these monitors this weekend and get it shipped on its way; any helpful info or insight you may have would be GREATLY appreciated to help me boost my confidence in my purchase!

Sincerely,
Quikslyver

I would go with the HP LP2475W since it has the lowest input lag of all non-TN 24" LCD monitor to the best of my knowledge; the exception is a Hazro 24" LCD that is only available in Europe.

Wide or standard color gamut is up to you. Personally, I don't have a preference since I do not do any professional graphics design or photograph editing.

The BenQ FP241VW can be purchased directly from BenQ and will have their standard 3 year warranty.

Based on the specs of the Samsung T260 HD, it is most certainly a TN panel. No doubt; the price is a hint as well.

quikslyver

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Thank you muchly for your reply Jag, ... i wish i would have checked it just a half hour sooner :-(, hehe, i ended up too close to my max budget on the rest of the build and found a Dell for $577, $30 less than the cheapest HP i could find.

I'm hopeing the A01 revision from Dell helps the input lag, but i'm not knowledgeable enough on the topic to know if a new revision is even capable of that, as the not so impressive input lag scores for this monitor were pre A01 release.

Also, i'm no competition level FPS gamer, so i'm sure i can suffer with a little more lag ... especially since, even after finding that Dell on sale, i'm still only $4 below the budget i agreed to with my wife! :-o.

I do wish that HP had worked out though ... ok, actually i wish i could afford the 30 inch dell monitor, Lol.

Anyway, with all the rave reviews that everybody and their proverbial dog has given the Ultrasharp, i'm sure i'll be satisfied. Thank you again for taking the time to check into those.

Sincerely,
Quikslyver