Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

I found a BIOS update for my system, but I don't know how to install it. It
is a .bin file (ak31s20p.bin to be exact). I was told to make a bootable
floppy and do it that way, but the instructions that were given, are for .exe
and .rom files. Does anyone have any idea on how I can install this file?
Thanks.

In news:316CD959-81EC-4A04-AA70-A5DEE96B7FBF@microsoft.com,
Chris <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> I found a BIOS update for my system, but I don't know how to
> install
> it. It is a .bin file (ak31s20p.bin to be exact). I was told to
> make
> a bootable floppy and do it that way, but the instructions that
> were
> given, are for .exe and .rom files. Does anyone have any idea
> on how
> I can install this file? Thanks.

First of all, why do you *want* to install it? if it's simply
because you found it--because it exists-- I strongly recommend
that you do *not* install it.

Although a BIOS upgrade normally goes well, it is not without
danger. If something goes wrong while the upgrade is an progress
(for example, a lapse in power) you can be left with no BIOS at
all, and an unbootable computer.
Do a BIOS upgrade if you need to--because you are having a
problem that the new version is known to fix--not just because
one is available.

Please reply to the newsgroup

The support web site of the manufacturer of your computer
or motherboard should have detailed instructions for the correct
procedure for updating your BIOS.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Chris" wrote:

| I found a BIOS update for my system, but I don't know how to install it. It
| is a .bin file (ak31s20p.bin to be exact). I was told to make a bootable
| floppy and do it that way, but the instructions that were given, are for .exe
| and .rom files. Does anyone have any idea on how I can install this file?
| Thanks.

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

I tried this, and there are no instructions, just the files and their release
date.

Chris wrote:
> I found a BIOS update for my system, but I don't know how to install
> it. It is a .bin file (ak31s20p.bin to be exact). I was told to make
> a bootable floppy and do it that way, but the instructions that were
> given, are for .exe and .rom files. Does anyone have any idea on how
> I can install this file? Thanks.

If you can't figure it out from all the replies to your previous thread,
then you really should get someone who knows what they are doing to do
it for you. A computer professional.

--
Peace!
Kurt

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

Well most of teh replies on my previous thread were how to find the updates.
Once I gotone, it was a matter of installing it. It said to make a MS-DOS
bootable floppy and copy the bin over and try it, but it can't recognize the
file. Most of the instructions were for flash and exe files, so that is why I
am stuck.

"kurttrail" wrote:

> Chris wrote:
> > I found a BIOS update for my system, but I don't know how to install
> > it. It is a .bin file (ak31s20p.bin to be exact). I was told to make
> > a bootable floppy and do it that way, but the instructions that were
> > given, are for .exe and .rom files. Does anyone have any idea on how
> > I can install this file? Thanks.
>
> If you can't figure it out from all the replies to your previous thread,
> then you really should get someone who knows what they are doing to do
> it for you. A computer professional.
>
> --
> Peace!
> Kurt
> Self-anointed Moderator
> microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
> http://microscum.com/mscommunity
> "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

If you are unsure about how to proceed, a very good suggestion is to break
down and take it to a professional or someone you trust knows what they are
doing. This simple act alone, done incorrectly, can render your PC an
expensive door stop, either requiring you to send the motherboard back to
the manufacturer for EEPROM or if the manufacturer no longer supports it or
is out of business, purchasing and installing a new motherboard. But its
your choice and your headache if the update/flash process doesn't or you've
flashed with the wrong BIOS/CMOS.

--

Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your Service!

http://www.google.com
Google is your "Friend"

>I found a BIOS update for my system, but I don't know how to install it. It
> is a .bin file (ak31s20p.bin to be exact). I was told to make a bootable
> floppy and do it that way, but the instructions that were given, are for
> .exe
> and .rom files. Does anyone have any idea on how I can install this file?
> Thanks.

map

http://www.badflash.com/

--
Mike Pawlak

You need more than just the bios file. You also need the installer and
"instructions". I have never seen a manufacturers web site that allowed bios
update downloads that did NOT also have this additional program and the
instructions on how to use it.

As stated before, get a professional to do it for you. If you mess up, you
may be posting here inquiring how to install a new motherboard.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner
"If you knew as much as you think you know,

> Well most of teh replies on my previous thread were how to find the
> updates.
> Once I gotone, it was a matter of installing it. It said to make a MS-DOS
> bootable floppy and copy the bin over and try it, but it can't recognize
> the
> file. Most of the instructions were for flash and exe files, so that is
> why I
> am stuck.
>
> "kurttrail" wrote:
>
>> Chris wrote:
>> > I found a BIOS update for my system, but I don't know how to install
>> > it. It is a .bin file (ak31s20p.bin to be exact). I was told to make
>> > a bootable floppy and do it that way, but the instructions that were
>> > given, are for .exe and .rom files. Does anyone have any idea on how
>> > I can install this file? Thanks.
>>
>> If you can't figure it out from all the replies to your previous thread,
>> then you really should get someone who knows what they are doing to do
>> it for you. A computer professional.
>>
>> --
>> Peace!
>> Kurt
>> Self-anointed Moderator
>> microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
>> http://microscum.com/mscommunity
>> "Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
>> "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

email them.

Don't try any way other than the way they recommend- remember you can
totally disable the computer if it fails.

This also begs the question- What will you gain by doing the upgrade? If
there is no definite benefit to be gained don't do it.

>I tried this, and there are no instructions, just the files and their
>release
> date.
>
> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> The support web site of the manufacturer of your computer
>> or motherboard should have detailed instructions for the correct
>> procedure for updating your BIOS.
>>
>> --
>> Carey Frisch
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP - Shell/User
>> Microsoft Newsgroups

>> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

>> "Chris" wrote:
>>
>> | I found a BIOS update for my system, but I don't know how to install
>> it. It
>> | is a .bin file (ak31s20p.bin to be exact). I was told to make a
>> bootable
>> | floppy and do it that way, but the instructions that were given, are
>> for .exe
>> | and .rom files. Does anyone have any idea on how I can install this
>> file?
>> | Thanks.

What will you gain by the upgrade?