I am researching buying SATA drives and a RAID controller to plug them into.

I am reading about a new (to me) pci interface called PCI-X. When did this format come out and is it on only newer mother boards?

I believe my motherboard has only a 33mhz PCI 2.2 interface.

My other question is, What size partition can I create safely in Windows XP? Lets say I create a 300gb RAID5 array. What is the largest size partition can I create out of that 300gb array in Windows XP?

Also, can anyone recommend a good SATA controller card that is around $300?

Thanks for the help,
6 answers Last reply
More about raid sata newb
  1. Do you mean PCI-X, a 66mhz server implementation of PCI? It's been around for years. You probably mean PCIe (PCI Express). Its the next upgrade to PCI and has been out for about a year now. Eventually it will replace PCI. If you buy a PCIe motherboard, for now, you'll have both PCI and PCIe slots and they're not interchangeable.

300GB. The real limit is something in the multiple-terabyte range, and I haven't heard anyone hitting a reliable limit yet. Practical ones, yes, but in a server situation, I'd bet a terabyte partition is quite stable.

I've never needed to use a controller card so I can't help with a suggestion there.

2. Thanks for the help.

BUS: I am looking at a bunch of different SATA RAID controllers and some say:

64-bit 66MHz PCI 2.2
    32-bit 33MHz PCI 2.2
    133MHz PCI-X

I have a Intel motherboard I bought 2 years ago, so I suppose I have to check the manual to see what bus specifcation I have?

PARTITION SIZE: I am confused, I bought a 200gb IDE HD that came with its own controller and in the documentation it stated that the maximum size partition I could create in Windows XP was something like 127gb before you would start gettting corruption errors. Was this a limitation of the hardware controller or the operating system?
  3. I think that problem was solved in SP2 if you have Windows XP because I have a 200GB drive in only one partition and I can "see" it just fine
  4. "I think that problem was solved in SP2 if you have Windows XP because I have a 200GB drive in only one partition and I can "see" it just fine"

If this is true then I will be very happy. Can anyone else confirm this?

I have dreamed of creating massive single partitions. I have created 127gb and larger partitions, the OS can see them, but have experienced data corruption with data stored on those size partitions, so I have always created multiple partitions of 120gb or less to be safe.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Astinius on 04/21/05 07:14 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
  5. What about creating a 20gb boot partition, installing Base WinXP. Then patching the OS to SP2 and then mounting the 127+ partition within the OS?

Or is the only way this is going to work is to install the OS from a XP CD that has been patched with SP2?

Thanks again for all the help.
  6. like wusy said, google "slipstream SP2" and it will tell you how to add SP2 to your windows xp disk.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives SATA Controller PCI NAS / RAID Storage