Sign in with
Your question

Toshiba Satellite A200 Random Shutdown

Tags:
  • Random Shutdown
  • Laptops
Last response: in Laptop General Discussion
September 28, 2009 7:31:33 PM

I have an A200-1YO, 1.66ghz, upgraded to Windows 7 RC and 4Gb 667mhz PC 5300 RAM.
My problem started about a month ago when i was still running Vista Home Premium and 3Gb of Ram.
The machine just started switching itself off randomly. No warning, no error codes, no shutting down or logging off screen...just instant OFF.
At first i thought it was a virus so i scanned the hell out of the whole laptop with my Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 and found nothing. Sometimes it would be on for days then suddenly switch off. sometimes when i plug in my external hard drive or my IR remote receiver it will switch off and sometimes it won't. The most annoying one is when it switches off about 2-3 mins after switching it on and i have done absolutely nothing to it.
I have blanked the hd using DBan and installed Windows 7 and it worked fine for a week or so until it started happening again.
There seems to be no repeat action that causes it to switch off. I have read about the overheating ideas and although i have had the laptop for about 16 months the airflow out of the vent on the side seems to be the same as it always has been..I keep the laptop raised at the back to improve the air flow and it doesn't seem to be overheating.
I have run a program called RealTemp and everything seems to be running within acceptable parameters at between 74-79 centigrade and the max showing at 86 degrees.
The ram i have upgraded to and installed is the correct type for the machine as i used Kingston's ram check function as well as checking the Toshiba website, plus it has been a long time since i installed the first 2gb of ram upgrade and nothing happened then.
The laptop is out of warranty so it would cost me an arm and a leg to get it fixed or at least looked at by Toshiba.
Has anybody got any ideas or suggestions as to what the cause may be??
If more information is needed please state what details required.
Many thanks in advance.

More about : toshiba satellite a200 random shutdown

September 28, 2009 7:53:31 PM

Does it shut down while its plugged in with the power supply? or when its running off the battery? sounds kind of like the battery is bad and or the power supply is bad. do you have another known good battery/power supply you could swap to test it?
September 28, 2009 8:03:24 PM

It doesn't seem to matter whether it's on battery or mains power, it still shuts down.
It's been running now for about 5hours on mains (with the battery in) with no problems. I'm constantly monitoring the temperature and at the moment it's down to 66-69 degrees c.
I don't have another power supply or battery that i could test it out with.
Wish i did!
Related resources
September 28, 2009 10:15:48 PM

Ok lets try this then.

1. Until you can get around to Step 2, go into Start > Settings > Control Panel > Toshiba Power Saver, be sure 'Full Power' is selected and highlighted, click "Details," then "Power Save Mode" tab at top, then drag the "Processor speed" slider down from "Full" to "Mid" (or even lower if the shutdowns continue).

2. If you are comfortable tinkering around inside your laptop (power off, remove all cables, remove battery, ground yourself, preferably wear plastic gloves), remove all screws on the underside (bottom) of the computer, gently open the case. Your aim is to expose the CPU (find where the heat comes out of your laptop on the side - that heat is from the fan that is cooling your CPU, which should be very closeby). Wipe off all the thermal grease that is on the top side of your CPU so that it is completely clean. Apply new thermal grease (usually $1.00 for a little tiny packet at a computer supplies shop, or $3-$15 for a more sizeable quantity) to the top side of the CPU. Carefully put your laptop back together. If you previously lowered the CPU speed (from Step 1), be sure you ratchet it back up to its maximum speed again.

If those steps dont work See if you can get hold of a boot floppy for Windows 98, if you can Boot to a DOS Prompt with that and the system remains stable your problem points to an Operating System fault.

If the system crashes it points to a hardware problem.

Let me know how this goes, good luck!
September 28, 2009 10:29:29 PM

almost forgot, check if theres an update for the bios.
September 29, 2009 1:27:09 AM

It just shutdown again completely when it was totally idle! I'm very close to throwing it at the wall then jumping on it!
I have the latest bios update already installed.
I'll try taking it apart tomorrow once i get some thermal grease.
The Toshiba Power Saver is no longer installed because i have changed to Windows 7.
Can the same thing be done with the advanced settings in the Power Options? It has options for the minimum and maximum power states and the system cooling policy.
September 29, 2009 1:30:30 AM

oh and btw, it's 64 bit Windows 7 i'm running.
September 29, 2009 4:07:16 PM

right click anywhere on screen
click on properties
then sreen saver tab
then power tab

this is just copy/past from someone else, im really not very familiar with the windows 7 setup. See if this is accurate
October 1, 2009 4:21:31 PM

I put it in for repair and i just got it back. The man in the shop said it's probably the motherboard that needs repairing/replacing!
I was hoping that it was just a build up of dust in one of the fans but to no avail.
He tested the ram, the power supply and the os and they're all fine.
You know where i can get a cheap motherboard for it in the UK?? haha!
Not sure if i trust them ones on eBay!
October 1, 2009 4:28:30 PM

ouch bad motherboard...sorry man im not sure where to get one in the UK. If you felt comfortable doing this you could replace the mboard your self. Ill bet you could find a manual for your laptop, its really not hard to swap out if you have directions. It would deffinetly save you a couple bucks, im sure wherever you take it to get replaced will charge an arm and a leg for their 1 hour of labor. And yes when dealing with a motherboard im not sure id trust ebay either.
October 22, 2009 4:33:41 AM

hi there br_15. just thought i'd let you know that i got it fixed and it wasn't the motherboard but it was an internal fault. the guy in the shop wouldn't tell me exactly what it was though (like it was a government secret!).
he had used a prog called speedfan and upgraded the bios (not sure where from as i had already checked on the toshiba site and had the latest version).
just before i put it in the shop it had only been working on the battery and whenever i plugged in the power cable it would switch off instantly.
i'm guessing that the fan speed had something to do with it obviously, but i don't care anymore! it's working now and i just wanted to say thanks for your help.
Cheers, Dude! (or is it Dudette?)
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 30, 2009 12:50:11 PM

i am also facing exactly the same problem. After thorough checkup, i came to a strange conclusion. The battery is causing the laptop to behave like this. in my case, while charger's cable plugged in and power and battery LEDs, both glowing, battery doesn't get charged. As window doesn't have any plan like hibernate, or standby for low battery while charger being plugged in. so sudden power loss is the result. another annoying thing is that i am unable to power up my laptop on ac power with battery out of it's compartment.
January 14, 2010 7:22:33 AM

Hi, same with me. I've been struggling with my A200 since a few months. And it's getting worst now. I can run fine with battery, but whenever I plug the power in, it's a random countdown to shutdown. I've tried everything I know which might cause this, cleaning my air vent, changing thermal grease (twice), cleaning all internal parts, testing many power configuration, etc.

However, I'm pretty sure this isn't a hardware issue, because when running safe mode it never happens. And I've tested running 2 live linux from cd and both are working just fine. Or even if it is a hardware issue, it must be something very specific. Now I'm using a workaround with live linux from usb (slax). It's working perfectly without shutdown.

I've also tried to use speedfan and realtemp to monitor my temperature, and my bios is already the latest version. COLOSOS70, can you please please asked what actually fixed by the techie? :(  this error is killing me
January 28, 2010 8:01:08 AM

OMFG i have the exact same laptop and exact same problem for over a month now. I have completely dissassemble it and test it like you guys did heatsink, clean, thermal paste and all the shits. But the god damn thing still shutting down on me randomly, driving me insane. I came to the conclusing it's a freaking small glitch but can't put my finger into it. Any help would be appreciated.
January 31, 2010 8:15:13 PM

Hi all, I might be having the same problem but want to verify the symptoms.

Seemingly random 'freezes' - power light stays on and, bizarrely, the DVD drive light turns on and stays on, but screen goes blank (display + backlight), no HD activity, utterly unresponsive. Thought maybe the DVD drive had some fault (eg throwing a bad interrupt) but I tried removing the drive and the problem still occurred. Independent of OS, has happened during startup as well as once Vista is booted up. Has occurred on battery power, mains power with the battery in, and mains power with the battery removed. The only thing to do at that point is hold down the power button until the hard power-off kicks in and reboot. Seems largely random but possibly linked to minor vibration/shock..? Not entirely sure.

Regards
Jim
February 9, 2010 9:28:54 AM

Yes it works. Yupiii. Just decrease speed of fan.
March 11, 2010 7:31:48 AM

onaro how do u decrease speed of fan.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 12, 2010 12:51:03 AM

I have a Toshiba Satellite A200 for two years, since brand new out of the box, it just randomly switches off suddenly, no shut down procedure, no warning, doesn't matter if it has a full battery and is on power.

When I got it, was pre-loaded with windows vista basic and 512 mb mem, which was rubbish, because it kept crashing and was painfully slow, couldn't use it at all for some weeks until I could afford to upgrade it, I upgraded it to 2 x 1gb toshiba ram chips, and loaded vista premium.

Much better, used it much more often, no more crashes and slowness, except noticed occasionally it just popped off, like the power had been cut completely, didn't use it that often back then so didn't really notice it too much. Apparently laptop repair experts insist it is likely an overheating problem, or possibly a power supply problem, however there are some problems with this theory:

1. fault since brand new out of box

2.can switch on immediately after shut down (was told that should not be able to restart straight away if overheated)

3. random, can have fault for days while downloading, can play games for hours without problem, can start up, within a couple of minutes will shut off, sometimes will do it several times a day, other times it can go many days without problem, possibly a week, however can still just pop off after just cold-starting it, and when only being idle on desktop only for 10 minutes.

4. I opened it up (don't recommend this) to check for dust, and it was clean.
Problem does seem to be more frequent these days, however could be that I use it much more often, though haven't ruled out overheating entirely.

Now I am not sure, but it seems to only do it when both battery and mains are plugged in at the same time. Battery is usually full, and charges fine, I use the battery every few days till flat then use mains, battery is often full while using laptop on mains for long periods of time, I haven't noticed the fault with just battery, but then I don't use just battery often. Recently I left the battery out for a week, to see if the fault would happen, and it hasn't, put the battery back in now, been going few hours, not had fault yet. Has anyone else had any success with this?

Ran speedfan to monitor. Cores run around 45C - 47C, jumps occasionally to 48C - 53C for a second.

Right now I am under the impression it does it only when on mains and battery is in. (could be wrong though not tested theory enough).

If it's a power supply fault why doesn't the battery prevent it from turning off, battery backs it up when power's switched off or unplugged suddenly.

I am more inclined to think it's a problem with the motherboard, although I do suspect ram as well, and I still suspect a fan problem too.
April 28, 2010 5:28:36 AM

So I finally took my notebook in to the shop to fix. Note that I am pretty savvy with computers, and I really did not find anything out of the ordinary with the Harddrive, RAM, Fan and Heatsink.

The first shop suggested me to buy a very strong cooling pad, which I did, but did not help.

The second shop, ran some diagnosis and concluded there was nothing wrong with the items stated above. Their conclusion, as well as mine, is that there was something wrong with the motherboard.

Seeing this, I formatted my Windows 7 (it was running on Vista before with the same problems) and installed Ubuntu on it.

Surprisingly, it's been over 3 days, and my computer have not powered off since, even for long durations of time (bout 12hours).

Conclusion: Hardware/software conflict with Windows. Ubuntu works. Honestly, I'm pretty impressed with the speed and simplicity of Ubuntu too..
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 12, 2010 1:13:56 AM

I also have Toshiba Laptop 2 and half year old encountered similar problem always shuts off anytime during any condition. I cannot do my work well due to it shuts off all my work will lost. I planning to upgrade to window & from window vista after I see your situation . I drop of this idea. Anywhere I used battery only without AC power adapter it work seem all right once I plug in AC power adapter the nightmare is start. It will shuts off anytime without any warning,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :cry: 
June 14, 2010 7:36:06 AM

Hi,

I think it's a time to write to Toshiba(to update the bios, maybe this is a problem).
Who will be the initiator?
June 28, 2010 11:54:08 AM

Btw., when you disable one core. It works fine. But not for long :( 
July 4, 2010 3:09:47 PM

Here is a solution that I found, and it has worked for me, so far.......

My guess is your laptops are exhibiting the same problem I faced, random crashes and freezes, with no warning.

I replaced the hard drive, reinstalled windows vista, same result.
Replaced ram, no better.
Replaced power supply, no good.
Run in safe mode, works fine, but very limited use.
Removed all the startup programs, still crashed.
Pulled my hair out, that worked for 10 minutes......
Replaced CPU, new thermal paste, reseated everything, and reassembled, and it worked perfectly, for about 3 hours, and then started crashing and freezing again.
Replaced vista with 7, and it wouldn't start at all........

Then I found a forum article that suggested that it only occurred when BOTH the battery and AC power supply where plugged in, disconnected the AC, started on battery only, and the problem seems to have completely dissappeared.

Not a solution, but certainly a step in the right direction. Now it appears then that something causes the computer to freeze on the motherboard at the AC point, or in the connection between the AC and the battery.

Forum suggested changing a bios setting.

Change the following setting in the bios setup, under the 'Advanced' tab
Dynamic CPU Frequency Mode = Always Low (NOT DYNAMIC)
Save and Restart

Now, this laptop has been running on battery only power without a problem for 2hours without a hitch, I was lucky if I could get 20 minutes out of it before, and most times it would not even start.

I am about to connect the AC power (whilst running) to see what happens, so I will report back on the result in the morning after it has been running for 5 or 6 hours.

Hope this helps. Will report back with further results
July 5, 2010 1:15:36 AM

Adding further to the previous post, woke up this morning to discover the computer FROZEN again. Worked for 1/2 hour with the AC plug in before I went to bed, not sure how long before it froze. So changing the Dynamic CPU Frequency Mode appears NOT to work.

Following another suggestion at the moment, and I have disabled the multi core feauture of the CPU in the bios, so now in Device Manager under processors i see only 1 processor, not 2.

First impression, I have had the computer working (with the AC plugged in) long enough to find this thread again, and write this reply, and no crash yet.......

The computer is occasionally pausing, sometimes for an instant, and sometimes for a few seconds, assuming this has something to do with only running in single core, it didn't do it before, but at least it comes back to life, and doesn't freeze or crash (so far).

Further reports to come.....

25 minutes later, pc still working, pausing appears to be related to this forum as it is not doing it with any other software. Going out for a couple of hours, let you know how it goes when I get back.
July 5, 2010 9:07:24 AM

6 hours later, and the a200 has NOT missed a beat. AC power attached, battery in, all the startup programs running, including the vdeo card drivers and utility, the CPU set to single core, and the Dynamic CPU Frequency Mode set to Always low, and the computer has NOT frozen or crashed once. Used it for 1 hour, then went to work for 5 hours. Never in the past week have I come back to find the PC not frozen. Maybe I have solved the problem from this computer, hope it works for you too......
July 5, 2010 9:35:46 PM

Hello,
Just joint this forum and to say thanks for your help guys as I am having problems with a200 toshiba,by the way toshiba used to be good but nowadays are all rubbish,anyway thanks,I just unistall processor and also display adapter,both are double under device manager,and put low instead dynamic CPU and seems to be working for the first time with ac charger. I tried previously almost everything,update CPU,new xp,silver compound,definitely toshiba fault,like all other models,eg,toshiba tecra 9100 yamaha sound problem with sp2,still not solved a problem,downloaded at least 50 drivers,using this one for diagnostics/com port,also qosmio g30,gpu repair program,toshiba fault again-at least theta admitted,asked for repair over 200 pounds,sold it.
Once again thanks and let you know if I have problems again.
I read so many replies regarding this but ussualy people say it's problem with gpu or dirt,it is nothing to do with that as laptop switching off sometimes in cole of seconds with ac charger,and finally I also tried to run benchmark and speed fun but could not Finnish it as it swithes off.
Regards
Donbato
July 6, 2010 4:13:26 PM

Good to hear Donbato

No need to uninstall the video card drivers. Although it works using a standard VGA adapter driver, using the settings I recommended for the CPU frequency, and only using a single core of the processor is STILL working for this computer using the ATI drivers after 24 hours of solid operation.

Much better screen resolution from the ATI drivers than from the VGA drivers.

No freezing or crashes, hopefully this will continue.
July 6, 2010 9:35:47 PM

Hi Corsa59,
You are right,as I restarted it asked me to install again display driver,which I did,also as I held a laptop on knees it happens again,same story,but I suspect that there is a loose contact somewhere,but I did not put screws back,so that maybe a case,anyway when I put back all I will let you know,in mean time I am even moving it,just typing.
Regards
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 9, 2010 1:44:59 AM

Hi!
Anyone try to connect another AC supply. An universal one, or kind of. Probably it helps, i would like to try, but i cant get anyone this days.

It's a new compatibility's problem between Windows and Toshiba, i dont know what, but sounds like everyone starts to have the problem since a few months. Who knows what the f*** is going on, but im starting to freak out with the random shutdowns.

By the way, using an only core...well, its a solution, but it decrease the potencial of our toshiba by 50%.

Thanks all!
July 9, 2010 2:22:00 PM

Hello all
tnx for the tip....ive been fighting with my machine (satellite a305) for some weeks with no success.
i did try the sugestions here on my bios...now running only 1 cpu....but did not solve it. running on battery or safe mode is ok .
How are you guys dealing with it.....are you planning to leve the machine half capacity....any new clues
tnx
July 10, 2010 12:28:33 AM

Well I am sure that there is a loose contact,I assemble a laptop and it starts again randomly switching off,I tried to bend a little bit and it works fine,actually put a lighter under the wireless switch,perfect,so in my case the problem is a connection somewhere,by the way the plastics are so cheap,very soft,not solid like some other models.
I will try again sometimes to dissemble and try to find a loose connection.
Regards
Donbato
July 12, 2010 8:38:40 AM

Maybe it's a cold joint somewhere on the motherboard :( 
July 13, 2010 11:44:38 AM

any newsss?? im getting crazy with this machine!!!
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 15, 2010 6:18:23 AM

I just registered on this forum to post a SOLUTION. I had the same symptoms, but working on Single core on my A200-1ZF (same as 1S9),always low cpu freq and only on battery is not a solution. Or is a solution if You'd like to go back to times like Commodore 64. Anyway. I called Toshiba Poland (as for my country) and they said nothing helpful cause my laptop is out of warranty. Anyway they said something about condensators but I didn't find any on my motherboard (sic!). Anyway problem occured after I upgraded Polish Vista 32 bit prof (the one sold on recovery disc) to US Win7 Prof. It occured after half a year of usage of Win7. Anyway I switched back to Vista,formatted the HD etc ,and NOTHING. I changed the RAM and the AC as my wife has the same laptop AND NOTHING. I cleaned the dust inside the laptop,changed thermal paste and NOTHING. Called Thosiba Poland again,they said that they can check my laptop for any faults which costs around 50 EUR! I said to myself FU Toshiba. I bought a laptop for nearly 700 EUR and I need it working. So after I switched back to Vista I d/l program called Toshiba Tempro. It has found like 15 drivers out of date and the ONE MOST IMPORTANT. BIOS UPDATE. I said to myself it's now or never. Guys when You update Your BIOS and the laptop will switch off it's gonna be dead and usless. Luckily for me it didn't shut down and after the BIOS update (I nearly ate all my finger nails) the problem VANISHED. Laptop is working now for like 2 days like it used to. High Performance with AC plugged in,2 cores working and the frequency Dynamic not always low. Hope it will help You guys as well

Cheers from Poland
Eden Prime
July 15, 2010 11:53:34 AM

Date of the BIOS?I have the last BIOS, it;s better but high perform. it's not working :( 
July 15, 2010 6:50:31 PM

thanks for the answer but not my case....since i have the latest bios found on toshiba site....perhaps should i downgrade it????
July 15, 2010 6:51:06 PM

by the way mine is not a200 is a305
July 15, 2010 8:34:49 PM

hi, i have toshiba t135D, this tends to happen when battery is under 20%, and only saw once it did when it was plugged in. screen would just freeze for a second, and screen turns to black, but LCD backlight is on with power LED, WIFI LED, no HDD acti. i would have to turn it off by holding the power button. i have this posted a forum here little lower on same page, no one is helping me -_-
i thought this was pretty similar problem. called toshiba, told me to reformat, which still doesnt work
July 16, 2010 7:33:39 AM

Yes, you can downgrade it
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 22, 2010 10:13:10 AM

Well, i have some news.
I think i solved the problem for now. For me, the random shutdown might be caused by the ******* wireless card. I shwitch off the wireless, and i've been with no problems for three days,playing, working, without shutdowns; and yesterday, i connect the wireless and....it shutdown! so i'm gonna buy a usb wireless, or maybe anoter wireless card to change it, i dunno now, i prefer to be sure that the wireless card is the problem, but i'm 80% sure that it is.

By the way, the solution with the bios update, im working with windows 7 64bits, and the bios updates from toshiba are only for vista 64bits/32bits. Should i update the bios whit the vista 64bits update, although im using windows 7 64bits?

Thanks and good look for all with this fu**ing problem!
August 12, 2010 9:39:11 PM

Hi There All!

I don't mean to be rude . . Computer Engineer here! . .but this is ALL BUNK! . . the problem with the A200 is simple . . . Toshiba dropped the ball on the fan exhausting into your desk, or maybe even lap! . . "Have you burned your thighs on this puppy yet?" . . In canada there was a very "Quiet recall" by certain retailers that were getting sick of these overheating complaints . . .Toshiba in its lets go the "extra inch" model, graciously repaired/replaced the fans in the laptops of it most ferverent complainers, thus absolving themselves from admitting it was a ridiculous design . .and those suckered into buying this unit from glossy well-hyped advertising should have had the refund/or rplace option! . . So there you have it! . . .if you stuffed insulation in the cooling coils of your refrigerator or radiator in your car, how well would they operate? . . So sorry to see so many trusting people duped by yet another mulinational swindler! . . . ."Hello Lenovo!" . .really too bad, Toshiba for years, was THE name in notebooks!

Best of luck all . . . no ill will intended by any of my comments!

RJ

Quote:
I have a Toshiba Satellite A200 for two years, since brand new out of the box, it just randomly switches off suddenly, no shut down procedure, no warning, doesn't matter if it has a full battery and is on power.

When I got it, was pre-loaded with windows vista basic and 512 mb mem, which was rubbish, because it kept crashing and was painfully slow, couldn't use it at all for some weeks until I could afford to upgrade it, I upgraded it to 2 x 1gb toshiba ram chips, and loaded vista premium.

Much better, used it much more often, no more crashes and slowness, except noticed occasionally it just popped off, like the power had been cut completely, didn't use it that often back then so didn't really notice it too much. Apparently laptop repair experts insist it is likely an overheating problem, or possibly a power supply problem, however there are some problems with this theory:

1. fault since brand new out of box

2.can switch on immediately after shut down (was told that should not be able to restart straight away if overheated)

3. random, can have fault for days while downloading, can play games for hours without problem, can start up, within a couple of minutes will shut off, sometimes will do it several times a day, other times it can go many days without problem, possibly a week, however can still just pop off after just cold-starting it, and when only being idle on desktop only for 10 minutes.

4. I opened it up (don't recommend this) to check for dust, and it was clean.
Problem does seem to be more frequent these days, however could be that I use it much more often, though haven't ruled out overheating entirely.

Now I am not sure, but it seems to only do it when both battery and mains are plugged in at the same time. Battery is usually full, and charges fine, I use the battery every few days till flat then use mains, battery is often full while using laptop on mains for long periods of time, I haven't noticed the fault with just battery, but then I don't use just battery often. Recently I left the battery out for a week, to see if the fault would happen, and it hasn't, put the battery back in now, been going few hours, not had fault yet. Has anyone else had any success with this?

Ran speedfan to monitor. Cores run around 45C - 47C, jumps occasionally to 48C - 53C for a second.

Right now I am under the impression it does it only when on mains and battery is in. (could be wrong though not tested theory enough).

If it's a power supply fault why doesn't the battery prevent it from turning off, battery backs it up when power's switched off or unplugged suddenly.

I am more inclined to think it's a problem with the motherboard, although I do suspect ram as well, and I still suspect a fan problem too.

August 23, 2010 9:13:03 PM

Got the same problem! Anyone has any solution? Im goin crazy seriously!! PLEASE HELP PLEASE
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 19, 2010 9:35:15 AM

even i am facing the same problem...its a toshina A 200 bought i india, only spec i am sure of is its got 1.73 dual core processor....while i was on windows genuine windows vista...same thing used to happen then one day macnine wont boot also and will give 3 beeps....i went to to two repair guys...one changedd grapichs card...then laptop worked fine...but then same problem...then i went to other repair guy he fixed mother board...then when i got it back i changed it to windows 7....now i am facing same problem again it just goes blank w/o warining....i have tried as some one suggested changing bios setting dynamic cpu frequency mode it didnt work....i tried running in safe mode where it dosent crash/ freeze at all..
Its hard to get exact specs of my machine as its not listed on indian toshiba website as well as international website....
November 22, 2010 2:59:48 PM

Hi guys, I have the same problem, the shutdown thing on my toshiba a200...

It's 3 years old and only recently the battery started to fail - it lasts like 40, 50% of the initial time. Since this happened the pc shuts down randomly if the battery and the charger are both plugged.

The rams are working properly, the cpu also, the graphical card also.

I suspect it is the motherboard, I just ordered a new one and I will try to see if it works. It might be the current 'thing' on the motherboard - the one which supplies it with current from the charger.

I bought meanwhile a new charger and it doesnt shutdown but it freezes instead :( 
I hope until the new motherboard arrives I wont fry the rams or anything else.

I will post some fresh news as soon as I will test the new motherboard.
November 27, 2010 7:40:23 AM

Finally the motherboard was the problem - The current received from the charger was not distributed correctly and this caused an overheating of the other components.

I bought one on ebay with 50 euros and voila - the laptop is running perfect again.

December 28, 2010 11:22:32 PM

It seems to me that toshiba ows us big time with their faulty laptops. We shouldnt be the bearer of these troubles ans costs. I'm seriously planning on contacting them and force them to acknowledge the problem and help us/ repay us, for the trouble we went trough. This is no different than all those asian cars being recalled from the US. If nessecary we can blow this out in the open. Very very bad marketing for toshiba.... They might be willing to listen, but we do need to act as a group then. By that i mean a groupcomplaint of all of us at the same time. Also from te people who already have it fixed by now. Im quite willing to take a lead in this (live in the netherlands), but i do need back up to make my point and to be taken seriously. Anyone interested?? Please let me know asap. With kind regards, J. Kievits
February 19, 2011 9:14:55 AM

Ok, I am the another one to join the problem... I have an A200-23K. The first time random shutdown started was about half a year after purchase. So I found authorised Toshiba service here, in Cracow, and gave them on the guarantee service. They... just changed the motherboard and it worked... for next half a year... Then it happened again. The guarantee was still valid, so I gave it to them again, and they changed the motherboard again... This time it was three months until it happened again. Again changing the motherboard... Finally, the guarantee was over, so when it happened again, I gave it to non-authorised service that I was recommended as more professional and into the hardware. They changed just the graphics and it worked again... but unfortunately not for long. This most recent random shutdown started, when I started to carry my laptop... and I discovered, that it reacts to movement. So I gave it again to the professional service. And it started... They haven' t localized the problem yet. Everything I know is that shutdown occurs when motherboard is tapped or slightly moved. This is due to some electrical problems on the motherboard or between components and motherboard or somewhere else. This service is still fighting with these (they have now also second A200 with the same symptoms on service), but there is only a slight chance of success and I am afraid that I will have to buy a new laptop... Ok, so this is my story, maybe someone can help? It is a hardware-related forum as I can see, so I hope to get some help here...
February 19, 2011 9:19:37 AM

Just to add - I am running Arch Linux on my laptop, all set by me from the beginning, so not supported by Toshiba, but the problem is definitely with hardware, not with software...
February 19, 2011 1:46:38 PM

colosos70 said:
It doesn't seem to matter whether it's on battery or mains power, it still shuts down.
It's been running now for about 5hours on mains (with the battery in) with no problems. I'm constantly monitoring the temperature and at the moment it's down to 66-69 degrees c.
I don't have another power supply or battery that i could test it out with.
Wish i did!

I have absolutely the same problem ):
February 21, 2011 11:21:51 AM

I've been having what appears to be a related problem. This is on a Toshiba A200 PSAF6A-07G01N, about 2.5 years old. A few months ago, the machine began spontaneously rebooting (presently at least a couple of times a week; it has been progressively more frequent, I think). The machine simply powers off briefly (1-5s or thereabouts), and then restarts. The power-off is instantaneous, with no blue-screen or other apparent software problem. It also occurs in Windows Vista x86, Windows 7 x86, and Ubuntu Linux x86 10.10.
I have tried running the system without a hard drive (from boot CD) - same problem
Fresh install of Windows - same problem
System restore - same problem

I have been monitoring the core temperatures while running burn-in tests. The cores reach 72ish degrees celcius (which they are on while I write this) and seem to operate fine at this peak temperature. Actually, it seems to be more frequent that the machine reboots when I am not actively using in rather than when I am. Mind you, that may simply be because it spends more time running without me actively working on it than with me working on it.

Anyway, after 1.5 continuous hours of burn-in testing the machine still hasn't rebooted during this process. Of course, that may be just pot luck.

Notable, the machine has *never* spontaneously rebooted while running on the battery. It does reboot with the AC power connected, with or without the battery inserted.

As I find more trends or patterns, I'll report them.
Also, the machine is running the most recent firmware (2.5?).
      • 1 / 3
      • Newest
!