Job Depends On This

I'm a finalist for a computer trainer/support position and Monday morning
they want me to do a 15 minute test teach "on some aspect or option in
Windows XP that users probably don't know but could probably benefit from."
The users are accountants and financial gurus who have a good but not great
knowledge of computers. I'm unable to come up with anything that would
impress them. Can anyone suggest anything? Desperate Dan
18 answers Last reply
More about depends this

    "R2D2Groupie" <R2D2Groupie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm a finalist for a computer trainer/support position and Monday morning
    > they want me to do a 15 minute test teach "on some aspect or option in
    > Windows XP that users probably don't know but could probably benefit
    > from."
    > The users are accountants and financial gurus who have a good but not
    > great
    > knowledge of computers. I'm unable to come up with anything that would
    > impress them. Can anyone suggest anything? Desperate Dan

    I would definitely focus on remote desktop, remote assistance, and personal
    system security. People will like that because they can go right home and
    do it on their own computers and laptops.

    The other thing that tends to be a big hit is showing people how to backup
    their own presonal data and application settings. If they are using Outlook
    with Exchange Server, this should include instructions for Exporting their
    Outlook Folders (ost) to a PST file called backup.pst or something like
    that. Another piggy-back onto this is how to use Archiving while giving
    them access to all their Archived folders locally.

    Another would be how to organize their own start menu and strategies for
    managing their My Documents folders (piggy-back this off the HowTo Backup
    explanation).

    Good Luck,

    Carl

    Talk about popup blocker in IE?

    JP

    "R2D2Groupie" <R2D2Groupie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm a finalist for a computer trainer/support position and Monday morning
    > they want me to do a 15 minute test teach "on some aspect or option in
    > Windows XP that users probably don't know but could probably benefit
    > from."
    > The users are accountants and financial gurus who have a good but not
    > great
    > knowledge of computers. I'm unable to come up with anything that would
    > impress them. Can anyone suggest anything? Desperate Dan

    Do a 15-minute tutorial on Task-Mgr. Show them how to monitor
    their system. Change or update the various columns in Processes &
    how to monitor network traffic. Demonstrate System loading by
    opening and closing applications. If it's Financial/Accounting folks
    they'll be impressed by all the numbers, graphs & charts.

    In news:4E760754-A85D-4518-8A14-4D59DFBEDD97@microsoft.com,
    R2D2Groupie <R2D2Groupie@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > I'm a finalist for a computer trainer/support position and Monday
    > morning they want me to do a 15 minute test teach "on some aspect or
    > option in Windows XP that users probably don't know but could
    > probably benefit from." The users are accountants and financial gurus
    > who have a good but not great knowledge of computers. I'm unable to
    > come up with anything that would impress them. Can anyone suggest
    > anything? Desperate Dan

    You have 15 minutes? Simple security practices of not opening attachments
    from unknown senders, reading email in plain text format, keeping their PC
    up to date, and avoiding surfing to unknown sites on what should be secure
    PCs. Keep it simple, short, and make sure to use words they understand.

    Galen

    without them."

    Sherlock Holmes

    "R2D2Groupie" <R2D2Groupie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm a finalist for a computer trainer/support position and Monday
    > morning
    > they want me to do a 15 minute test teach "on some aspect or option in
    > Windows XP that users probably don't know but could probably benefit
    > from."
    > The users are accountants and financial gurus who have a good but not
    > great
    > knowledge of computers. I'm unable to come up with anything that would
    > impress them. Can anyone suggest anything? Desperate Dan

    Tell them about Microsoft's support site (http://support.microsoft.com/)
    and show them how to perform basic and advanced searches. That way,
    with a hint towards inclining them to do even a little bit of
    investigation before crying for help, maybe they'll use that instead of
    calling or posting with their knee-jerk inquiries. Telling them how to
    use the Start -> Help and Support menu would be obvious but lots of
    users never even bother looking there, either.

    Otherwise, and besides the security topics already mentioned by other
    respondents, tell them the advantage of defragmenting their hard drives,
    how to run it, and how to schedule a regular defrag of their drives
    during off-hours (but note to them that the computer must not be in
    standby or hibernate mode unless they enable the wake-up option - but
    that will also bring their computer out of hibernate mode).

    Tell them how to use msconfig.exe to disable startup programs to help
    when troubleshooting a problem in behavior of their computer.

    Try to instill in them the need to backup their system either by saving
    drive images and/or by backing up their data. Yes, they are accountants
    and should be familiar with backing up their data but often they assume
    that a network admin is backing up some networked file server from which
    they retrieve and write their files and yet that doesn't help them when
    their own workstation crashes because of a hard drive failure. Mention
    to them that the included NT Backup program will only span tapes and not
    any other type of removable or fixed media, like CDRs, Zip disks, or
    hard drives, so they'll need a non-crippled 3rd party backup program to
    do that.

    For those still too lazy to do backups, tell them how to use the System
    Restore utility (to create their own restore points and how to use
    them). Remind them that this is for restoring the system and NOT for
    their data, so they should not be trying to use it as a equivalent to
    GoBack or RestoreIT.

    When using NTFS, you can create ADS (alternate data streams) on files.
    Their filesize reflected in Windows Explorer will only show the size for
    the primary data stream and yet when they try to copy a 10KB file onto a
    floppy they lose the 10MB ADS attached to that file. However, it is
    likely that you don't know how to manage and create ADS'es, either. See
    http://www.ntfs.com/ntfs-multiple.htm as an intro to the subject. There
    are tools to let you see if ADS is used, like LADS and CrucialADS. Some
    anti-virus products, like Kaspersky, use the ADS to store a hash code of
    the file and a status of a scan, so a subsequent scan on an unchanged
    file can be skipped and how Kaspersky sped up their scanning.
    Unfortunately, uninstalling the product does not also have it remove all
    those now superfluous alternate streams that they attached to the files.
    Few anti-spyware will scan the ADS (AD-Aware does but only since the SE
    version), so malware could reside in the ADS and not get detected;
    however, eventually it needs to be read by a program to load the content
    of the ADS (to read it or to execute it) and that is when, hopefully,
    the anti-spyware's real-time scanner or the anti-virus on-access scanner
    will detect the malware on your system. Few anti-virus programs scan
    the ADS of files, and some only do so by enabling some option that
    doesn't sound like anything to do with ADS, like archive scanning.

    Tell them how to create junctions and hard links to files and folders.
    Under Unix, you can create soft links and hard links. Soft links are
    like shortcuts in Windows: they are fixed in their definition and point
    to where the file was when the link was created. If you move the file,
    the soft link can't find it (unless the OS helps out to update the soft
    link). Deleting a soft link (i.e., shortcut) does not delete the file.
    A hard link is another entry in the file table for that file, so
    deleting a hard link will delete the file. A hard link will know
    wherever is the file after you move it. Peculiarly Microsoft calls hard
    links for files as hard links but hard links for folders are called
    junctions. Same thing.

    Install the Windows XP powertoy for multiple desktops, enable it in the
    taskbar, and show how they could have multiple virtual desktops to
    reduce the clutter of having lots of windows open on the same desktop.
    This powertoy is limited and sometimes popup dialogs will show up in
    other virtual desktops, but it will give them an idea if it is something
    that they might be interested in rather than using multiple monitors and
    video cards.

    Have them us the TweakUI powertoy for Windows XP and configure to group
    all icons for an application under one button in the taskbar. That way,
    they can get the equivalent of tabbed browsing, for example, for
    Internet Explorer. Click on the one taskbar button for IE and get a
    roll-up listing of all open instances of IE with the full text of their
    titles without ending up with a dozen buttons for IE in the taskbar that
    get squished into tiny buttons with useless truncated titles.

    Show them how to use Fast User Switching (provided your audience
    actually perceives any value for that feature).

    Tell them how to enable and setup the Fax Service so they can fax from
    their computer (provided they have an analog modem with fax
    capabilities). Unfortunately, it is not designed to send multi-page
    faxes but you could use Word to compose your fax and then print it to
    the Fax printer to then send your multi-page fax. Faxing isn't much
    used anymore but sometimes they may need to use it.

    Somehow, by asking what topics to discuss in just 15 minutes to train
    your pupils, it looks like instead are a wannabe trainer in need of
    training yourself. I've run out of interest in coming up with more
    topics since there are plenty. You could simply walk through your Start
    menu looking at all the submenus to pick out something that is little
    used or little understood by non-techie users. You could also just lurk
    around the newsgroups for Windows XP and look at past posts to see what
    type of questions are asked that you are qualified to answer.

    In article <4E760754-A85D-4518-8A14-4D59DFBEDD97@microsoft.com>,
    R2D2Groupie@discussions.microsoft.com says...
    > I'm a finalist for a computer trainer/support position and Monday morning
    > they want me to do a 15 minute test teach "on some aspect or option in
    > Windows XP that users probably don't know but could probably benefit from."
    > The users are accountants and financial gurus who have a good but not great
    > knowledge of computers. I'm unable to come up with anything that would
    > impress them. Can anyone suggest anything? Desperate Dan

    How about using their network and firewall to allow them easy remote
    access to their workstations from outside the office in a secure manner.

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

    In article <#CAjGzujFHA.3144@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>,
    jpbreton@videotron.ca says...
    > Talk about popup blocker in IE?

    Or to not use IE except in HIGH-SECURITY mode - something MS suggests
    but few follow - or just not using IE at all.

    --

    "" wrote:
> [...]
    > isn't much
    > used anymore but sometimes they may need to use it.
    >
    > Somehow, by asking what topics to discuss in just 15 minutes
    > to train
    > your pupils, it looks like instead are a wannabe trainer in
    > need of
    > training yourself. I've run out of interest in coming up with
    > more
    > topics since there are plenty. You could simply walk through
    > your Start
    > menu looking at all the submenus to pick out something that is
    > little
    > used or little understood by non-techie users. You could also
    > just lurk
    > around the newsgroups for Windows XP and look at past posts to
    > see what
    > type of questions are asked that you are qualified to answer.

    searching microsoft web sites is far easyer by just using
    site:support.microsoft.com on google, the search engian on microsofts
    site is the most pathetic search engian i have ever used.

    I think teaching "How to use google" should definitly be in basic
    computer training, how many poeple have i found that dont know how to
    google, more thne 1 is too many, i have found more then 10!!

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Job-Depends-ftopict399296.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1319053

    Something quick and easy - Lots of people used to use Office's Task Bar before
    upgrading to Office 2003 where it no longer was available.

    I created a folder called "shortcuts", dragged some shortcuts there, added it to
    my Windows task bar as a new tool bar, dragged it to the right side of my
    screen, right clicked it, and set it up to display icons but not labels.

    "R2D2Groupie" <R2D2Groupie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

    > knowledge of computers. I'm unable to come up with
    > anything that would
    > impress them. Can anyone suggest anything? Desperate Dan

    How about "Therefore I am not really qualified for this job
    position"?

    --
    Bob

    Yeah, and I'm sure all the ideas in your professional life have been
    original, if you've had any at all.

    "Opinicus" <gezgin@spamcop.net> wrote in message
    > "R2D2Groupie" <R2D2Groupie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
    >
    >> knowledge of computers. I'm unable to come up with anything that would
    >> impress them. Can anyone suggest anything? Desperate Dan
    >
    > How about "Therefore I am not really qualified for this job position"?
    >
    > --
    > Bob

    Avoid spreadsheets. They know more than you'll ever know.

    Perhaps a email mail merge in Word? How to use and customise the Sendto menu? Or customise the Start Menu.

    "" wrote:
    > Avoid spreadsheets. They know more than you'll ever know.
    >
    > Perhaps a email mail merge in Word? How to use and customise
    > the Sendto menu? Or customise the Start Menu.

    > ------------------------------------
    > "R2D2Groupie" <R2D2Groupie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message
    > > I'm a finalist for a computer trainer/support position and
    > Monday morning
    > > they want me to do a 15 minute test teach "on some aspect or
    > option in
    > > Windows XP that users probably don't know but could probably
    > benefit from."
    > > The users are accountants and financial gurus who have a
    > good but not great
    > > knowledge of computers. I'm unable to come up with anything
    > that would
    > > impress them. Can anyone suggest anything? Desperate Dan

    Id say you should tach them how to defend agenst spyware on there home
    computers, a quick spybot tutorial should do, and you should recomened
    (but dont insist) they use a diffrent intenret browser, such as
    firefox, if they have macs at home as well as IBM standard PC’s,
    there probably more suted to netscape, show them where they can get
    netscape for windows from!

    Of course if they only have a MAC at home, then all of this is rather
    irelevent.

    To make sure they listen, rather then just sit and stare, make it
    clear that not defending agenst spyware could mean that there computer
    might brake when a critical peice of work has to be done!

    If you need more for a 15min class (i carnt see how you would) but you
    should explain that "google is your friend", show them how to look
    things up using google!!

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Job-Depends-ftopict399296.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1318779

    No one asked you moron.

    "" wrote:
    > I'm a finalist for a computer trainer/support position and
    > Monday morning
    > they want me to do a 15 minute test teach "on some aspect or
    > option in
    > Windows XP that users probably don't know but could probably
    > benefit from."
    > The users are accountants and financial gurus who have a good
    > but not great
    > knowledge of computers. I'm unable to come up with anything
    > that would
    > impress them. Can anyone suggest anything? Desperate Dan

    Here’s a site full of usefull info...
    http://www.tweakxp.com/
    :)

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Job-Depends-ftopict399296.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1320372

    I Screwed up - Bad. I got some comments - deservedly so - about not being fit
    for the job if I couldn't come up with an example myself. I should have said
    that I worked with / trained users in MS SQL, VB, Pervasive SQL, Crystal
    Reports, Access VBA, etc., for six years and was very familiar with the DB
    world. I had come up with a few (dull) exercises in XP and needed, as I said,
    something to impress them. I was just looking for something "flashy" and
    impressive.
    I was told that the job will actually only have a couple of one-day Windows
    classes a month. Most will be Office and SQL/Crystal Rpts classes for inhouse
    staff. Its at the U of Kansas and since I'll be on the staff I'll have a
    chunk of my MBA with emphasis in IT paid for.
    Thanks for all responses.

    "rctechs" wrote:

    > "" wrote:
    > > I'm a finalist for a computer trainer/support position and
    > > Monday morning
    > > they want me to do a 15 minute test teach "on some aspect or
    > > option in
    > > Windows XP that users probably don't know but could probably
    > > benefit from."
    > > The users are accountants and financial gurus who have a good
    > > but not great
    > > knowledge of computers. I'm unable to come up with anything
    > > that would
    > > impress them. Can anyone suggest anything? Desperate Dan
    >
    > Here’s a site full of usefull info...
    > http://www.tweakxp.com/
    > :)

    > Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Job-Depends-ftopict399296.html
    > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1320372

    There is always one nasty person per thread!
    "Opinicus" <gezgin@spamcop.net> wrote in message
    > "R2D2Groupie" <R2D2Groupie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
    >
    >> knowledge of computers. I'm unable to come up with anything that would
    >> impress them. Can anyone suggest anything? Desperate Dan
    >
    > How about "Therefore I am not really qualified for this job position"?
    >
    > --
    > Bob

    Teach them how to post on a newsgroup without regurgitating every single
    sodding previous message.

> [...]
    > > more
    > > topics since there are plenty. You could simply walk through
    > > your Start
    > > menu looking at all the submenus to pick out something that is
    > > little
    > > used or little understood by non-techie users. You could also
    > > just lurk
    > > around the newsgroups for Windows XP and look at past posts to
    > > see what
    > > type of questions are asked that you are qualified to answer.
    >
    > searching microsoft web sites is far easyer by just using
    > site:support.microsoft.com on google, the search engian on microsofts
    > site is the most pathetic search engian i have ever used.
    >
    > I think teaching "How to use google" should definitly be in basic
    > computer training, how many poeple have i found that dont know how to
    > google, more thne 1 is too many, i have found more then 10!!

Microsoft Windows XP