System restore errors

I saw this in a message a few minutes ago. Unfortunately, the response
addressed another error, not this one. My laptop is running XPProSP2, and
recently I was getting a "can't logon interactively" error when I logged on
my normal user name. When I tried System Restore, I got the error mentioned
below

I tried to use System Restore to roll back a few days but
*no matter what date I chose, I get a message saying that
system restore could not restore my system.* Just two
weeks earlier I had used those same restore points to fix
another problem and they worked fine.

Does anyone have any thoughts to how to fix this problem?
The thread before was about the CDGONE problem. I think my CD drive still
works... Is that the only thing that would cause this problem, or could it be
something else? (I'm fairly sure my CD drive is working right now)...

~Yb
2 answers Last reply
More about system restore errors

    "Yblitzka" <Yblitzka@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I saw this in a message a few minutes ago. Unfortunately, the response
    >addressed another error, not this one. My laptop is running XPProSP2, and
    >recently I was getting a "can't logon interactively" error when I logged on
    >my normal user name. When I tried System Restore, I got the error mentioned
    >below
    >
    >I tried to use System Restore to roll back a few days but
    >*no matter what date I chose, I get a message saying that
    >system restore could not restore my system.* Just two
    >weeks earlier I had used those same restore points to fix
    >another problem and they worked fine.
    >
    >Does anyone have any thoughts to how to fix this problem?
    >The thread before was about the CDGONE problem. I think my CD drive still
    >works... Is that the only thing that would cause this problem, or could it be
    >something else? (I'm fairly sure my CD drive is working right now)...

    If you used these same restore points two weeks ago then you should
    not be using them now. Going back more than two weeks with System
    Restore is not advisable except in the most extreme circumstances.

    System Restore is for the situations where you want to restore the
    computer to "10 minutes ago, before I installed the new version of
    CrudWorks" or "yesterday".

    See MVP Bert Kinney's System Restore pages:
    http://home.earthlink.net/~mvp_bert/index.html

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Here are some troubleshooting tips for System Restore in Windows XP.

    Go to Start - Run and type eventvwr.msc and press enter.
    Click on System in the left pane.
    Click the gray title "Source" at the top of the source name column in
    the right pane to sort by source name, look for "sr" and "srservice".
    Double click on each of these events, then click on the button below
    the two arrows in the upper right corner. This will copy the event
    information to the clipboard. Paste the information for each of the
    two event here. This will help us in diagnosing the problem.
    System Restore Failures to restore:
    http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srfail.html
    System Restore fails to create an automatic restore point:
    http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srauto.html

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

    Yblitzka wrote:
    > I saw this in a message a few minutes ago. Unfortunately,
    > the response addressed another error, not this one. My
    > laptop is running XPProSP2, and recently I was getting a
    > "can't logon interactively" error when I logged on my
    > normal user name. When I tried System Restore, I got the
    > error mentioned below
    >
    > I tried to use System Restore to roll back a few days but
    > *no matter what date I chose, I get a message saying that
    > system restore could not restore my system.* Just two
    > weeks earlier I had used those same restore points to fix
    > another problem and they worked fine.
    >
    > Does anyone have any thoughts to how to fix this problem?
    > The thread before was about the CDGONE problem. I think
    > my CD drive still works... Is that the only thing that
    > would cause this problem, or could it be something else?
    > (I'm fairly sure my CD drive is working right now)...
    >
    > ~Yb

Microsoft System Restore Windows XP