Hi
Got the new UK British Telecom privacy software installed and it
blocks all numbers that you have not agreed too.
Last two log ons it showed a dialler trying to diall with numbers 19
then 03.
They don't look like phone numbers to me but how do I know who they
are?for all I know it could be my anti-virus trying to check up.Is
there any way of checking?I'm obviously not going to allow a number I
have not agreed too.Just wondered.Thanks

"Seafarer" <Seafarer@wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi
> Got the new UK British Telecom privacy software installed and it
> blocks all numbers that you have not agreed too.
> Last two log ons it showed a dialler trying to diall with numbers 19
> then 03.
> They don't look like phone numbers to me but how do I know who they
> are?for all I know it could be my anti-virus trying to check up.Is
> there any way of checking?I'm obviously not going to allow a number I
> have not agreed too.Just wondered.Thanks

For those few of us outside the UK, it might be helpful if you explained
exactly what this service is supposed to do. Otherwise the only people who
will be able to give an answer are those who are familiar with the
particular service you're using.

For example, is this a phone service add-on, or is it part of your Internet
service?
Is it supposed to block incoming or outgoing calls?
Where is this log that you checked found? Is it on your computer, or on some
sort of phone device, or what?
And what significance are 19 and 03, if any? Is that the whole thing that
was allegedly dialed, or just the beginning numbers, or what?

By the way, if your antivirus was trying to dial out, it wouldn't have its
own special phone number, it would try to make a connection through whatever
ISP you use. There's generally some sort of setting within the software
where you tell it to only update when you're already online, or you can
allow it to connect to your ISP independently.

Sparda

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2005

"" wrote:
> Hi
> Got the new UK British Telecom privacy software installed and
> it
> blocks all numbers that you have not agreed too.
> Last two log ons it showed a dialler trying to diall with
> numbers 19
> then 03.
> They don't look like phone numbers to me but how do I know who
> they
> are?for all I know it could be my anti-virus trying to check
> up.Is
> there any way of checking?I'm obviously not going to allow a
> number I
> have not agreed too.Just wondered.Thanks

WEll, if it’s not your ISP’s modems phone number, then dont alow
it. Why would noton dial a diffrent phone number to try and auto
update, it would dial the default phone number if any.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Rogue-Diallers-ftopict399301.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1318778

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 13:52:38 -0600, "D.Currie"
<dmbcurrie.nospam@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"Seafarer" <Seafarer@wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Hi
>> Got the new UK British Telecom privacy software installed and it
>> blocks all numbers that you have not agreed too.
>> Last two log ons it showed a dialler trying to diall with numbers 19
>> then 03.
>> They don't look like phone numbers to me but how do I know who they
>> are?for all I know it could be my anti-virus trying to check up.Is
>> there any way of checking?I'm obviously not going to allow a number I
>> have not agreed too.Just wondered.Thanks
>
>For those few of us outside the UK, it might be helpful if you explained
>exactly what this service is supposed to do. Otherwise the only people who
>will be able to give an answer are those who are familiar with the
>particular service you're using.
>
>For example, is this a phone service add-on, or is it part of your Internet
>service?
>Is it supposed to block incoming or outgoing calls?
>Where is this log that you checked found? Is it on your computer, or on some
>sort of phone device, or what?
>And what significance are 19 and 03, if any? Is that the whole thing that
>was allegedly dialed, or just the beginning numbers, or what?
>
>By the way, if your antivirus was trying to dial out, it wouldn't have its
>own special phone number, it would try to make a connection through whatever
>ISP you use. There's generally some sort of setting within the software
>where you tell it to only update when you're already online, or you can
>allow it to connect to your ISP independently.

thanks for any input,it is a service that British Telecom have
recently introduced[Free] it stops your computer dialling out numbers
that you have not agreed too.I have two at the moment,my ISP and
another private one.Whilst on line a mesaage pops up saying your
computer tried to dial out on the number 19 then later 03,today it
tried to dial out on number 593.
These cannot be telephone numbers and are some kind of area code of
the rogue diallers.
I never will allow the computer to dial out on any number not agreed
by me.My question was is there a way of finding out whose numbers they
are.
It was just curiousity as I have up to date anti-virus and firewall
installed,just wondered who was trying to get in my computer.Thanks
anyway.

Malke

Seafarer wrote:

(snippage)
> thanks for any input,it is a service that British Telecom have
> recently introduced[Free] it stops your computer dialling out numbers
> that you have not agreed too.I have two at the moment,my ISP and
> another private one.Whilst on line a mesaage pops up saying your
> computer tried to dial out on the number 19 then later 03,today it
> tried to dial out on number 593.
> These cannot be telephone numbers and are some kind of area code of
> the rogue diallers.
> I never will allow the computer to dial out on any number not agreed
> by me.My question was is there a way of finding out whose numbers they
> are.
> It was just curiousity as I have up to date anti-virus and firewall
> installed,just wondered who was trying to get in my computer.Thanks
> anyway.

If you have "rogue dialers" dialing out, then your computer is not
malware-free inspite of your av and firewall. Follow these malware
removal steps systematically, doing all work with updated tools in Safe
Mode:

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

> On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 13:52:38 -0600, "D.Currie"
> <dmbcurrie.nospam@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

> >"Seafarer" <Seafarer@wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> >> Hi
> >> Got the new UK British Telecom privacy software installed and it
> >> blocks all numbers that you have not agreed too.
> >> Last two log ons it showed a dialler trying to diall with numbers 19
> >> then 03.
> >> They don't look like phone numbers to me but how do I know who they
> >> are?for all I know it could be my anti-virus trying to check up.Is
> >> there any way of checking?I'm obviously not going to allow a number I
> >> have not agreed too.Just wondered.Thanks
[snip]
> These cannot be telephone numbers and are some kind of area code of
> the rogue diallers.
> I never will allow the computer to dial out on any number not agreed
> by me.My question was is there a way of finding out whose numbers they
> are.
> It was just curiousity as I have up to date anti-virus and firewall
> installed,just wondered who was trying to get in my computer.Thanks
> anyway.

I suspect from your comments that "who was trying to get in" is not
an issue --- "they" are already in if it is trying to dial out. Take it
down
to safe mode and run all scans (amazing what hides itself sometimes).
If you make a note of the full number it is dialing, you might get lucky
with google and find someone else that has figured out what it is, but
I would not bet on it. The other trick I remember from the past when
I used a modem/dial-up was some of those spyware/junk/*** would
disable the speaker on your modem card before dialing at 3 AM so
no one even realized what was going on until they got the phone bill
for $$$ to some place in lower geekobia. I do agree with the idea
of the service that allows you to block calls to wherever you have
not authorized.

mikey

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 18:40:14 GMT, Seafarer@wanadoo.co.uk (Seafarer)
wrote:

>Hi
>Got the new UK British Telecom privacy software installed and it
>blocks all numbers that you have not agreed too.
>Last two log ons it showed a dialler trying to diall with numbers 19
>then 03.
>They don't look like phone numbers to me but how do I know who they
>are?for all I know it could be my anti-virus trying to check up.Is
>there any way of checking?I'm obviously not going to allow a number I
>have not agreed too.Just wondered.Thanks
Thanks for all the input,opened my eyes a bit. I use Microsoft XP
Service pack 2 with that firewall updated often,AVG anti-virus updated
every two days,Anti Spyware blocker[updated often] Spyware
Blaster[same] Ad Aware and Spybot! If your saying they still get in
through all that lot then us occasional users really have no chance
have we?cheers and thanks again.