harlan_pepper

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2005
I had to reinstall XP recently and ever since my 3+3 USB 2.0 PCI card (3 ports attached to card in back of PC and 3 ports in the front accessible hub)is only running at USB 1.1 speeds. I updated to SP2 right away.

XP gives me the warning that "This USB device can perform faster..." The current drivers for this card appears to be "usbd.sys" and "usbhub.sys" - both located in the system32\drivers directory (I got this info from Device Manager under the USB controllers section). The actual controller names are "ALi PCI to USB Open Host Controller" (I got this info from the "HI-SPEED Device Attached To non-HI-SPEED Hub" dialog box that popped up with my warning.

Interestingly, the driver disk that came with my card/hub installs the drivers "ousb2hub.sys" and "ousbehci.sys" into a "C:\WINDOWS\Drivers\ousb2" directory." I'm confused because I don't know which are the right drivers. Everything I've read online seems to say that the usbd.sys and usbhub.sys drivers are the standard XP USB 2.0 drivers, yet the install disk put in the others. I've tried having all of them in the system32\drivers folder and I've tried leaving the "ousb2hub.sys" and "ousbehci.sys" ones in their original folder, but neither way works.

Before my XP reinstall, I had 2.0 speed, so I don't think there's anything wrong with the card or hub. I'm guessing there must be a driver conflict somewhere or some other missing file. Any suggestions are hugely appreciated.

Thanks.
XP Home SP2
1.8 Ghz Celeron

sturm

Splendid
Try removing the card and deleting any installed drivers for the card.
Once that is done reinstall the card and let windows find it. When windows wants to install drivers tell it to get them from the cd or use the install program off of the cd.