Throw MN-700 Out the Window!?!?!?!?!?!?

This thing is driving me crazy. I apppreciate all of you
who gave me suggestions last time, but none have seemed
to work. I have an HP laptop with an integrated b/g
wireless card. I bought the MN-700, mostly because of
the good reviews and how everyone said it was 'so easy to
set up' out of the box. I have to say, I am not finding
this to tbe the case. I do not have a desktop computer
to set this up with; my only computer at home is this
laptop. I set up the base station as stated in the start
manual, and it connected just fine, found the base
station, programmed just fine, etc. Now, as I understand
it, I should be able to unplug the blue ethernet cable
used during setup that was connecting the base station
and my computer. After doing this and then turning on
the wireless function (my HP has a dedicated button to
turn the wireless on and off), I would expect to be able
to connect to the internet. It tells me it has found my
network by name (and even one of my neighbor's networks).
I have no printers or other computers to connect to. I
thought I did everything right, but when I unplug the
blue ethernet cable, it tells me that a network cable is
unplugged and I have not internet connection. I thought
I had the problem licked when I cloned the MAC address,
but to no avail. Please, can one of you very intelligent
and knowledgeable wireless network people out there help
me? It's driving me crazy!!! Thanks in advance for any
and all suggestions.
8 answers Last reply
More about throw window

    Did you install the new firmware that was released today.

    http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/d/5/8d5f3570-e0aa-4ac4-8448-579870373a0f/MSBNDownload.exe

    --
    Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

    Find out about the MS MVP Program -

    "Josh" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > This thing is driving me crazy. I apppreciate all of you
    > who gave me suggestions last time, but none have seemed
    > to work. I have an HP laptop with an integrated b/g
    > wireless card. I bought the MN-700, mostly because of
    > the good reviews and how everyone said it was 'so easy to
    > set up' out of the box. I have to say, I am not finding
    > this to tbe the case. I do not have a desktop computer
    > to set this up with; my only computer at home is this
    > laptop. I set up the base station as stated in the start
    > manual, and it connected just fine, found the base
    > station, programmed just fine, etc. Now, as I understand
    > it, I should be able to unplug the blue ethernet cable
    > used during setup that was connecting the base station
    > and my computer. After doing this and then turning on
    > the wireless function (my HP has a dedicated button to
    > turn the wireless on and off), I would expect to be able
    > to connect to the internet. It tells me it has found my
    > network by name (and even one of my neighbor's networks).
    > I have no printers or other computers to connect to. I
    > thought I did everything right, but when I unplug the
    > blue ethernet cable, it tells me that a network cable is
    > unplugged and I have not internet connection. I thought
    > I had the problem licked when I cloned the MAC address,
    > but to no avail. Please, can one of you very intelligent
    > and knowledgeable wireless network people out there help
    > me? It's driving me crazy!!! Thanks in advance for any
    > and all suggestions.

    No. Somehow since I can't get this thing to work in the
    first place that upgrading the firmware won't solve my
    basic problems.

    Some other questions include.

    What form of wireless security are you using if any?

    Which OS are you running?

    If you are running Windows XP did you install the 826942 update?

    If you are running Windows XP do you have the following services startup
    type set to automatic? (SSDP Discovery Service, Universal Plug and Play
    Device Host, & Wireless Zero Configuration.)

    Are you using any other 2.4 Ghz. equipment?

    Is there anything between the MN-700 & the laptop?

    Which version of the firmware are you running on the MN-700?

    Josh wrote:

    > This thing is driving me crazy. I apppreciate all of you
    > who gave me suggestions last time, but none have seemed
    > to work. I have an HP laptop with an integrated b/g
    > wireless card. I bought the MN-700, mostly because of
    > the good reviews and how everyone said it was 'so easy to
    > set up' out of the box. I have to say, I am not finding
    > this to tbe the case. I do not have a desktop computer
    > to set this up with; my only computer at home is this
    > laptop. I set up the base station as stated in the start
    > manual, and it connected just fine, found the base
    > station, programmed just fine, etc. Now, as I understand
    > it, I should be able to unplug the blue ethernet cable
    > used during setup that was connecting the base station
    > and my computer. After doing this and then turning on
    > the wireless function (my HP has a dedicated button to
    > turn the wireless on and off), I would expect to be able
    > to connect to the internet. It tells me it has found my
    > network by name (and even one of my neighbor's networks).
    > I have no printers or other computers to connect to. I
    > thought I did everything right, but when I unplug the
    > blue ethernet cable, it tells me that a network cable is
    > unplugged and I have not internet connection. I thought
    > I had the problem licked when I cloned the MAC address,
    > but to no avail. Please, can one of you very intelligent
    > and knowledgeable wireless network people out there help
    > me? It's driving me crazy!!! Thanks in advance for any
    > and all suggestions.

    "upgrading the firmware won't solve my basic problems"

    That doesn't make any sense. You should be thinking "I've nothing to lose".

    Josh wrote:
    > This thing is driving me crazy. I apppreciate all of you
    > who gave me suggestions last time, but none have seemed
    > to work. I have an HP laptop with an integrated b/g
    > wireless card. I bought the MN-700, mostly because of
    > the good reviews and how everyone said it was 'so easy to
    > set up' out of the box. I have to say, I am not finding
    > this to tbe the case. I do not have a desktop computer
    > to set this up with; my only computer at home is this
    > laptop. I set up the base station as stated in the start
    > manual, and it connected just fine, found the base
    > station, programmed just fine, etc. Now, as I understand
    > it, I should be able to unplug the blue ethernet cable
    > used during setup that was connecting the base station
    > and my computer. After doing this and then turning on
    > the wireless function (my HP has a dedicated button to
    > turn the wireless on and off), I would expect to be able
    > to connect to the internet. It tells me it has found my
    > network by name (and even one of my neighbor's networks).
    > I have no printers or other computers to connect to. I
    > thought I did everything right, but when I unplug the
    > blue ethernet cable, it tells me that a network cable is
    > unplugged and I have not internet connection. I thought
    > I had the problem licked when I cloned the MAC address,
    > but to no avail. Please, can one of you very intelligent
    > and knowledgeable wireless network people out there help
    > me? It's driving me crazy!!! Thanks in advance for any
    > and all suggestions.

    In no particular order,

    All the stuff in the above post by joker.

    Are you running a firewall. Disable it.

    Undo all your security until you get a network connection. This
    includes WEP, WPA, MAC address filtering, not SSID broadcasting, etc.

    Can you connect to the internet through the wired connection?

    Does the base station see your Laptop, ie does it have a mac address for it?

    If you run the Microsoft Broadband Utility with the blue wire unplugged, do
    you have an IP Address?

    If you open a dos window and run ipconfig do you have an IP Address?

    If you go to Network Connections > Wireless Network(or whatever it is
    called) > properties,
    do you see your Wireless network card, TCP/IP,QoS, and Client for Microsoft
    Networks?

    Does your Wireless network card appear in Control Panel > System >device
    manager > list of devices?

    Is your Wireless network enabled?

    Have you actually started your Browser? You may be connected and not know
    it. If you haven't
    removed your wired network card, you will have two screens with a red x on
    them in the system
    tray. And it will say you aren't connected. If you haven't checked the box
    on the Wireless Network properties page, you won't get
    an indication in the system tray that the wireless network is connected. If
    the box is checked
    and you still have the wired card in place you should have two indicators in
    the system tray, one for
    the wireless card and one for the wired.

    Hope this helps.

    Dick Kistler

    Wow. A wealth of knowledge, and I thank you all for your
    input. unfortunately, I'm not computer savvy enough to
    even understand half the terms some of you guys are
    throwing out there. Most people say this system is so
    easy to set up, but I don't know enough about computers
    to even find half the setting being referred to or feel
    confident changing settings out of fear that I'll mess
    something else up.

    Once your base station is ocnfigured, connect it to the
    Modem only. I would uninstall the Broadband software so
    that your laptop is not seen as a "wired" computer.
    restart everything and click "Configure" when your laptop
    says it detected your network.

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    Let me simplify the questions for you that I asked then.

    What form of wireless security are you using if any (Are you using WEP,
    WPA, &/or MAC filtering)?

    Which OS are you running (which version of Windows are you running)?

    If you are running Windows XP did you install the 826942 update (if you
    go into add/remove programs do you see an update that mentions "826942"
    in it's title)?

    If you are running Windows XP do you have the following services startup
    type set to automatic? (SSDP Discovery Service, Universal Plug and Play
    Device Host, & Wireless Zero Configuration.)

    Are you using any other 2.4 Ghz. equipment (This would be 2.4 Ghz.
    phones, microwaves, & any other wireless device that uses the 2.4 Ghz.
    frequency)?

    Is there anything between the MN-700 & the laptop (is there anything
    other then air between the MN-700 & your laptop)?

    Which version of the firmware are you running on the MN-700 (Sign into
    http://192.168.2.1 and you should be able to see what the firmware
    version is)?

    Another way to check is to download the following file and run it. That
    will update you to the latest firmware for the MN-700 which is 2.01.02.0590.

    MSBNDownload (This is the update package. It will update software
    (including drivers) and firmware as needed)

    http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/d/5/8d5f3570-e0aa-4ac4-8448-579870373a0f/MSBNDownload.exe

    (note that this URL is very long and might get truncated)

    One other note if you have questions about words used here you can
    always enter the word at http://www.dictionary.com to get a definition
    or http://www.google.com to learn more.

Routers Networking