Internet connection problem

July 22, 2005 8:13:17 PM

I'm having some sort of an Internet connection problem. After restarting my
system, I can connect to the Internet okay. I then surf a few URL's and
suddenly I get a "Server Not Found" error message. "SOMETIMES" I can hit
"Refresh" serveral times and I'll get a connect, but the is rare.

When this error occurs, instead of restarting the system, I just try to use
the dialer supplied by my ISP (ATTGlobal.net), I'll get a "An unrecoverable
socket error occurred while authenticating with the server on the network."
error. My ISP claims it due to some firewall, virus checker, spam check, etc
that is causing the problem. One thing I have done is disabled everyone of
my startup programs (via msconfig). What about the programs listed under the
Services Tab? Can I disable any or all of them?

This problem started a couple of weeks ago. I have not tried a "System
Restore" from back that long ago. Does doing that seem like a good thing to
do?

Thanks.

Bruce
July 22, 2005 8:29:08 PM

Bruce A. Julseth wrote:

> I'm having some sort of an Internet connection problem. After
> restarting my system, I can connect to the Internet okay. I then surf
> a few URL's and suddenly I get a "Server Not Found" error message.
> "SOMETIMES" I can hit "Refresh" serveral times and I'll get a connect,
> but the is rare.
>
> When this error occurs, instead of restarting the system, I just try
> to use the dialer supplied by my ISP (ATTGlobal.net), I'll get a "An
> unrecoverable socket error occurred while authenticating with the
> server on the network." error. My ISP claims it due to some firewall,
> virus checker, spam check, etc that is causing the problem. One thing
> I have done is disabled everyone of my startup programs (via
> msconfig). What about the programs listed under the Services Tab? Can
> I disable any or all of them?
>
> This problem started a couple of weeks ago. I have not tried a "System
> Restore" from back that long ago. Does doing that seem like a good
> thing to do?

The first thing to do is to determine if the computer is 100% malware
and virus-free. Here are some general steps to take:

http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Removing...

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

"Malke" <notreally@invalid.com> wrote in message
news:o KngpUxjFHA.3580@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Bruce A. Julseth wrote:
>
>> I'm having some sort of an Internet connection problem. After
>> restarting my system, I can connect to the Internet okay. I then surf
>> a few URL's and suddenly I get a "Server Not Found" error message.
>> "SOMETIMES" I can hit "Refresh" serveral times and I'll get a connect,
>> but the is rare.
>>
>> When this error occurs, instead of restarting the system, I just try
>> to use the dialer supplied by my ISP (ATTGlobal.net), I'll get a "An
>> unrecoverable socket error occurred while authenticating with the
>> server on the network." error. My ISP claims it due to some firewall,
>> virus checker, spam check, etc that is causing the problem. One thing
>> I have done is disabled everyone of my startup programs (via
>> msconfig). What about the programs listed under the Services Tab? Can
>> I disable any or all of them?
>>
>> This problem started a couple of weeks ago. I have not tried a "System
>> Restore" from back that long ago. Does doing that seem like a good
>> thing to do?
>>

> The first thing to do is to determine if the computer is 100% malware
> and virus-free. Here are some general steps to take:
>
> http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Removing...
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic"

Okay. I did everything listed in the above URL. I'm not sure if the problem
is cleaned or not. I need to "exercise" things for a while to see the
failure reoccurs. Some questions from my original message:

One thing I have done is disabled everyone of my startup programs (via
msconfig). What about the programs listed under the Services Tab? Can I
disable any or all of them?

I found three programs in my startup I don't know what they are:

MSDOS.PIF
ctfmon.exe
BCMSMMSG.exe (Microsoft messenger maybe?)

Thanks...

Bruce
Related resources
July 23, 2005 6:35:21 PM

Bruce A. Julseth wrote:

> Okay. I did everything listed in the above URL. I'm not sure if the
> problem is cleaned or not. I need to "exercise" things for a while to
> see the failure reoccurs. Some questions from my original message:
>
> One thing I have done is disabled everyone of my startup programs (via
> msconfig). What about the programs listed under the Services Tab? Can
> I disable any or all of them?
>
> I found three programs in my startup I don't know what they are:
>
> MSDOS.PIF
> ctfmon.exe
> BCMSMMSG.exe (Microsoft messenger maybe?)

When you want to know what a file is, Google using the file name as a
search term. I can't imagine why you would have msdos.pif in your
startup. Do you have DOS programs running at startup? Try
right-clicking the file and opening it in Notepad to see what it says.

The other files are legitimiate; ctfmon.exe is part of MS Office and
bcmsmmsg.exe is a modem file.

Do not disable services from the System Configuration Utility. Instead,
look up a service here:

http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm
http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/process...

and change anything by doing:

Start>Run>services.msc [enter]

Here are some other links where you can look up things you find in
Startup:

http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_index.htm
http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist....

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic"
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 6:51:52 PM

"Malke" <notreally@invalid.com> wrote in message
news:o KngpUxjFHA.3580@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Bruce A. Julseth wrote:
>
>> I'm having some sort of an Internet connection problem. After
>> restarting my system, I can connect to the Internet okay. I then surf
>> a few URL's and suddenly I get a "Server Not Found" error message.
>> "SOMETIMES" I can hit "Refresh" serveral times and I'll get a connect,
>> but the is rare.
>>
>> When this error occurs, instead of restarting the system, I just try
>> to use the dialer supplied by my ISP (ATTGlobal.net), I'll get a "An
>> unrecoverable socket error occurred while authenticating with the
>> server on the network." error. My ISP claims it due to some firewall,
>> virus checker, spam check, etc that is causing the problem. One thing
>> I have done is disabled everyone of my startup programs (via
>> msconfig). What about the programs listed under the Services Tab? Can
>> I disable any or all of them?
>>
>> This problem started a couple of weeks ago. I have not tried a "System
>> Restore" from back that long ago. Does doing that seem like a good
>> thing to do?
>>

> The first thing to do is to determine if the computer is 100% malware
> and virus-free. Here are some general steps to take:
>
> http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Removing...
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic"

Okay. I did everything listed in the above URL. I'm not sure if the problem
is cleaned or not. I need to "exercise" things for a while to see the
failure reoccurs. Some questions from my original message:

One thing I have done is disabled everyone of my startup programs (via
msconfig). What about the programs listed under the Services Tab? Can I
disable any or all of them?

I found three programs in my startup I don't know what they are:

MSDOS.PIF
ctfmon.exe
BCMSMMSG.exe (Microsoft messenger maybe?)

Thanks...

Bruce
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 6:55:51 PM

The above message is from me (Bruce A. Julseth). Why is listed as from
"Malke?"

Bruce

> Bruce A. Julseth wrote:
>

>> Okay. I did everything listed in the above URL. I'm not sure if the
>> problem is cleaned or not. I need to "exercise" things for a while to
>> see the failure reoccurs. Some questions from my original message:
>>
>> One thing I have done is disabled everyone of my startup programs (via
>> msconfig). What about the programs listed under the Services Tab? Can
>> I disable any or all of them?
>>
>> I found three programs in my startup I don't know what they are:
>>
>> MSDOS.PIF
>> ctfmon.exe
>> BCMSMMSG.exe (Microsoft messenger maybe?)
>>

> When you want to know what a file is, Google using the file name as a
> search term. I can't imagine why you would have msdos.pif in your
> startup. Do you have DOS programs running at startup? Try
> right-clicking the file and opening it in Notepad to see what it says.
>
> The other files are legitimiate; ctfmon.exe is part of MS Office and
> bcmsmmsg.exe is a modem file.
>
> Do not disable services from the System Configuration Utility. Instead,
> look up a service here:
>
> http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm
> http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/process...
>
> and change anything by doing:
>
> Start>Run>services.msc [enter]
>
> Here are some other links where you can look up things you find in
> Startup:
>
> http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_index.htm
> http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist....
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic"
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 6:55:52 PM

In news:%23TcKSFIkFHA.3064@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
Bruce A. Julseth <bruceajNoSpam@attglobal.net> typed:

> The above message is from me (Bruce A. Julseth). Why is listed
> as from
> "Malke?"

I'm not sure what's confusing you, but you asked a question and
the message is shown as coming from you. Then Malke wrote a reply
and the message is shown as coming from her (which it was). When
you replied to Malke's reply, your reply quotes her and shows
that the message you're replying to was from her (which it was).

Does that help, or am I not understanding what you're asking?

Please reply to the newsgroup

> "Malke" <notreally@invalid.com> wrote in message
>> Bruce A. Julseth wrote:
>>

>>> Okay. I did everything listed in the above URL. I'm not sure
>>> if the
>>> problem is cleaned or not. I need to "exercise" things for a
>>> while
>>> to see the failure reoccurs. Some questions from my original
>>> message: One thing I have done is disabled everyone of my
>>> startup programs
>>> (via msconfig). What about the programs listed under the
>>> Services
>>> Tab? Can I disable any or all of them?
>>>
>>> I found three programs in my startup I don't know what they
>>> are:
>>>
>>> MSDOS.PIF
>>> ctfmon.exe
>>> BCMSMMSG.exe (Microsoft messenger maybe?)
>>>

>> When you want to know what a file is, Google using the file
>> name as a
>> search term. I can't imagine why you would have msdos.pif in
>> your
>> startup. Do you have DOS programs running at startup? Try
>> right-clicking the file and opening it in Notepad to see what
>> it
>> says. The other files are legitimiate; ctfmon.exe is part of
>> MS Office and
>> bcmsmmsg.exe is a modem file.
>>
>> Do not disable services from the System Configuration Utility.
>> Instead, look up a service here:
>>
>> http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm
>> http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/process...
>>
>> and change anything by doing:
>>
>> Start>Run>services.msc [enter]
>>
>> Here are some other links where you can look up things you
>> find in
>> Startup:
>>
>> http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_index.htm
>> http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist....
>>
>> Malke
>> --
>> MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
>> Elephant Boy Computers
>> www.elephantboycomputers.com
>> "Don't Panic"
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 11:30:26 PM

> In news:%23TcKSFIkFHA.3064@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
> Bruce A. Julseth <bruceajNoSpam@attglobal.net> typed:
>
>> The above message is from me (Bruce A. Julseth). Why is listed as from
>> "Malke?"
>

> I'm not sure what's confusing you, but you asked a question and the
> message is shown as coming from you. Then Malke wrote a reply and the
> message is shown as coming from her (which it was). When you replied to
> Malke's reply, your reply quotes her and shows that the message you're
> replying to was from her (which it was).
>
> Does that help, or am I not understanding what you're asking?

> Please reply to the newsgroup

MY Error. Sorry..

Bruce

>> "Malke" <notreally@invalid.com> wrote in message

>>> When you want to know what a file is, Google using the file name as a
>>> search term. I can't imagine why you would have msdos.pif in your
>>> startup. Do you have DOS programs running at startup? Try
>>> right-clicking the file and opening it in Notepad to see what it
>>> says. The other files are legitimiate; ctfmon.exe is part of MS Office
>>> and
>>> bcmsmmsg.exe is a modem file.
>>>
>>> Do not disable services from the System Configuration Utility.
>>> Instead, look up a service here:
>>>
>>> http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm
>>> http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/process...
>>>
>>> and change anything by doing:
>>>
>>> Start>Run>services.msc [enter]
>>>
>>> Here are some other links where you can look up things you find in
>>> Startup:
>>>
>>> http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_index.htm
>>> http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist....
>>>
>>> Malke
>>> --
>>> MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
>>> Elephant Boy Computers
>>> www.elephantboycomputers.com
>>> "Don't Panic"

Anonymous
July 24, 2005 11:46:26 PM

"Malke" <notreally@invalid.com> wrote in message
> Bruce A. Julseth wrote:
>

>> Okay. I did everything listed in the above URL. I'm not sure if the
>> problem is cleaned or not. I need to "exercise" things for a while to
>> see the failure reoccurs. Some questions from my original message:
>>
>> One thing I have done is disabled everyone of my startup programs (via
>> msconfig). What about the programs listed under the Services Tab? Can
>> I disable any or all of them?
>>
>> I found three programs in my startup I don't know what they are:
>>
>> MSDOS.PIF
>> ctfmon.exe
>> BCMSMMSG.exe (Microsoft messenger maybe?)
>>

> When you want to know what a file is, Google using the file name as a
> search term. I can't imagine why you would have msdos.pif in your
> startup. Do you have DOS programs running at startup? Try
> right-clicking the file and opening it in Notepad to see what it says.
>
> The other files are legitimiate; ctfmon.exe is part of MS Office and
> bcmsmmsg.exe is a modem file.
>
> Do not disable services from the System Configuration Utility. Instead,
> look up a service here:
>
> http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm
> http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/process...
>
> and change anything by doing:
>
> Start>Run>services.msc [enter]
>
> Here are some other links where you can look up things you find in
> Startup:
>
> http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_index.htm
> http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist....
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic"

I can't find MSDOS.PIF when I did a search. McAfee did "Just now" tell me
that is had found a virus in MSDOS.PIF and cleaned it. So it must be
somewhere?

Also, McAfee has quarentined as "Potential Unwanted Programs",. PSEXESVC.EXE
and HDPlugin1101.dell. Anyone know what these programs are? If so, what
should I do with them?

Thanks..

Bruce
July 24, 2005 11:46:27 PM

Bruce A. Julseth wrote:

> I can't find MSDOS.PIF when I did a search. McAfee did "Just now"
> tell me that is had found a virus in MSDOS.PIF and cleaned it. So it
> must be somewhere?
>
> Also, McAfee has quarentined as "Potential Unwanted Programs",.
> PSEXESVC.EXE and HDPlugin1101.dell. Anyone know what these programs
> are? If so, what should I do with them?

Once again, when you want to find out what something is, your first step
is to Google the name.

Doing this with PSEXESVC.EXE clearly shows that it is a virus.
Doing this with HDPlugin1101.dell brings up nothing, which is suspicious
and usually indicates malware.

If you really did everything in my general malware removal steps - and
you did all the work in Safe Mode - you apparently have a tricky
infection. In that case, do a scan with TrendMicro's Sysclean in Safe
Mode. The links and directions are on my website. Here is the link
again for your convenience:

http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Removing...

Make sure your McAfee is a current version (not earlier than 2004) and
is using updated virus definitions. If it is, scan again in Safe Mode
after you've done the initial scan with Sysclean.

If after all that you still have problems, run HijackThis and post your
log to *one* of the following forums. Make sure you read the posting
FAQ first at whatever forum you choose. For your convenience, here are
the HJT links (also on the website):

http://www.aumha.org/a/hjttutor.htm - HijackThis tutorial by Jim
Eshelman
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtu... -
another tutorial
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30
http://castlecops.com/forum67.html
http://spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5 - Spyware Warrior HijackThis
forum
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/
http://forums.tomcoyote.org/

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic"
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 12:02:05 AM

In news:uEO8ueKkFHA.3356@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
Bruce A. Juliet <bruceajNoSpam@attglobal.net> typed:

>> In news:%23TcKSFIkFHA.3064@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
>> Bruce A. Julseth <bruceajNoSpam@attglobal.net> typed:
>>
>>> The above message is from me (Bruce A. Julseth). Why is
>>> listed as
>>> from "Malke?"
>>

>> I'm not sure what's confusing you, but you asked a question
>> and the
>> message is shown as coming from you. Then Malke wrote a reply
>> and the
>> message is shown as coming from her (which it was). When you
>> replied
>> to Malke's reply, your reply quotes her and shows that the
>> message
>> you're replying to was from her (which it was).
>>
>> Does that help, or am I not understanding what you're asking?
>>

>> --
>> Please reply to the newsgroup
>>

> MY Error. Sorry..

OK. Not a problem.

Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 8:12:54 PM

> Bruce A. Julseth wrote:
>

>> I can't find MSDOS.PIF when I did a search. McAfee did "Just now"
>> tell me that is had found a virus in MSDOS.PIF and cleaned it. So it
>> must be somewhere?
>>
>> Also, McAfee has quarentined as "Potential Unwanted Programs",.
>> PSEXESVC.EXE and HDPlugin1101.dell. Anyone know what these programs
>> are? If so, what should I do with them?
>
> Once again, when you want to find out what something is, your first step
> is to Google the name.
>
> Doing this with PSEXESVC.EXE clearly shows that it is a virus.
> Doing this with HDPlugin1101.dell brings up nothing, which is suspicious
> and usually indicates malware.
>
> If you really did everything in my general malware removal steps - and
> you did all the work in Safe Mode - you apparently have a tricky
> infection. In that case, do a scan with TrendMicro's Sysclean in Safe
> Mode. The links and directions are on my website. Here is the link
> again for your convenience:
>
> http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Removing...
>
> Make sure your McAfee is a current version (not earlier than 2004) and
> is using updated virus definitions. If it is, scan again in Safe Mode
> after you've done the initial scan with Sysclean.
>
> If after all that you still have problems, run HijackThis and post your
> log to *one* of the following forums. Make sure you read the posting
> FAQ first at whatever forum you choose. For your convenience, here are
> the HJT links (also on the website):
>
> http://www.aumha.org/a/hjttutor.htm - HijackThis tutorial by Jim
> Eshelman
> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtu... -
> another tutorial
> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30
> http://castlecops.com/forum67.html
> http://spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5 - Spyware Warrior HijackThis
> forum
> http://www.wilderssecurity.com/
> http://forums.tomcoyote.org/
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic"

First, HDPlugin1101.dell should be HDPlugin1101.dll. Google says this also
is an adware problem. McAfee found both and I quarantined them. I will now
delete them.

I think the problem was an "MSDOS.PIF" contaminiated file. Since I have is
blocked in my startup, I haven't had a problem with my internet connection.

Thanks for your help.
July 25, 2005 8:12:55 PM

Bruce A. Julseth wrote:

> First, HDPlugin1101.dell should be HDPlugin1101.dll. Google says this
> also is an adware problem. McAfee found both and I quarantined them. I
> will now delete them.
>
> I think the problem was an "MSDOS.PIF" contaminiated file. Since I
> have is blocked in my startup, I haven't had a problem with my
> internet connection.
>
> Thanks for your help.

Glad you got things sorted. Thanks for taking the time to let me know.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

> Bruce A. Julseth wrote:
>
>> First, HDPlugin1101.dell should be HDPlugin1101.dll. Google says this
>> also is an adware problem. McAfee found both and I quarantined them. I
>> will now delete them.
>>
>> I think the problem was an "MSDOS.PIF" contaminiated file. Since I
>> have is blocked in my startup, I haven't had a problem with my
>> internet connection.
>>
>> Thanks for your help.
>
> Glad you got things sorted. Thanks for taking the time to let me know.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

One other item. Have "MSDOS.PIF" unchecked in my start up. How can I
completely it delete from the start up items.

Thanks...

Bruce
July 26, 2005 2:18:49 AM

Bruce A. Julseth wrote:

> One other item. Have "MSDOS.PIF" unchecked in my start up. How can I
> completely it delete from the start up items.

I assume you've found and deleted the msdos.pif file and just want to
clean up the entries that show up when you use msconfig.

Start>Run regedit [enter]

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SharedTools\MSConfig\startupfolder
You'll find a subkey for each disabled item and can delete that item.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupreg
Again, you'll find a subkey for each disabled item and can delete the
item.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic"
Anonymous
July 27, 2005 12:50:45 AM

> Bruce A. Julseth wrote:
>
>> One other item. Have "MSDOS.PIF" unchecked in my start up. How can I
>> completely it delete from the start up items.
>
> I assume you've found and deleted the msdos.pif file and just want to
> clean up the entries that show up when you use msconfig.
>
> Start>Run regedit [enter]
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SharedTools\MSConfig\startupfolder
> You'll find a subkey for each disabled item and can delete that item.
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupreg
> Again, you'll find a subkey for each disabled item and can delete the
> item.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic"

I looked at the Register Keys you listed above

"startupfolder": The only folder listed here was C:^Documents and
Settings^All Users^Start Menu^Programs^Startup^Kodak EasyShare software.lnk
Not sure why this is listed/

"startupreg". Here there are several folder that seem to agree with the
startup folders I have "unchecked." One of the is "MSDOS Service" which
contains the commmand "MSDOS.PIF". That is the key I will delete.

I also have an "unchecked" item that has absolutely nothing showing except
under "Location" which is SOFTWARD\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run.
That is all that is listed on the line. Should I be worried?

Thanks..

Bruce
July 27, 2005 12:50:46 AM

Bruce A. Julseth wrote:

> I looked at the Register Keys you listed above
>
> "startupfolder": The only folder listed here was C:^Documents and
> Settings^All Users^Start Menu^Programs^Startup^Kodak EasyShare
> software.lnk Not sure why this is listed/
>
> "startupreg". Here there are several folder that seem to agree with
> the
> startup folders I have "unchecked." One of the is "MSDOS Service"
> which contains the commmand "MSDOS.PIF". That is the key I will
> delete.
>
> I also have an "unchecked" item that has absolutely nothing showing
> except under "Location" which is
> SOFTWARD\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run. That is all that is
> listed on the line. Should I be worried?

No, just leave it unchecked. It's something orphaned and I wouldn't
worry about it. The Kodak EasyShare is listed because it is starting up
with Windows, as is its wont. I usually disallow it at startup; it has
been known to cause problems on users' systems.

Remember, what you are doing now is cosmetic. You needed to remove the
msdos.pif file, not just its entry in the msconfig listing.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers