Sign in with
Your question

video tuning on a graphics card?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 23, 2005 1:42:26 PM

Hi all,
I have an old geforce 4mx460 (sigh) but it has a video input connection (RCA or s video i think). I have beefed up the pc it is in (1.5Ghz 1 gig ram, 19inch monitor) and was wondering if i can use my games console on the video input of the card and watch the game off the monitor? As far as a know, it was designed to record cam corder footage and the software given reflects this, but is there any app that can display the video live instead of recording it?
thanks
April 24, 2005 9:13:37 PM

If that connection is between the VGA and DVI connectors, it's probably an svideo "out" instead of video in.
April 25, 2005 10:58:11 AM

there is no DVI connection, it's just a monitor and a few s video and an RCA inputs/output. I know there is a separate s video input because i connected my cam corder a long time ago to it, and used windows movie maker to record the vids. Didn't have enough ram to pull it off but the live footage being shown from the cam corder worked well so that's what got me thinking... don't wanna have to use the preview window in windows movie maker to see my games console... is there another application that just does the live bit?
April 26, 2005 8:21:54 AM

The GeForce 4 460-MX reference design did include a Philips SAA7108 or SAA7109 (can't recall which off the top of my head) which could be programmed via the GPU i2c master controller to do either video encoding or decoding via the S-video port. That theoretically gives you 9-bit CVBS or Y/C decoding in PAL, NTSC or SECAM.
!