Sign in with
Your question

WinXP Install and sATA

Last response: in Storage
April 23, 2005 10:06:19 PM

whats the deal with Serial ATA?
i mean, i install a computer every 2 or 3 weeks.. and all the new computers i build clearly have sATA drives. but why do i have to do the floppy thing EVERY time i install windows on them.
damn it, even the newest winXP sp2 bootable cd installation doesnt have a built in serial ATA driver
come on people, tell me what to do?
i'm sick of adding a floppy to high quality systems just for that!
there has to be some solution..

~ forgive my stupid questions ~

More about : winxp install sata

April 24, 2005 6:29:31 AM

Oh, the answer is simple: XP doesn't need a special Serial ATA driver and you don't need a floppy.

Most of today's chipsets have built in SATA controllers that tell windows "Hey, here's an ATA drive" Windows doesn't know it's SATA, it doesn't matter, the installation works perfectly without a floppy.

Windows setup doesn't have every driver in existance, so if you do something stupid, like leave RAID mode turned on for the chipset's controller, or use a third party RAID controller such as a Highpoint or Promise controller (even one the board maker added to the board itself), Setup won't see the drive.

Windows will never have every RAID drive imaginable. If it did, it would probably take an hour just to go through the driver list and start loading windows. If you disable RAID mode, the onboard controller tells Windows Setup it's an ATA drive, and you don't need a driver floppy.

So the only reason you're having problems is because you're doing things wrong.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
Related resources
April 24, 2005 9:10:06 PM

Yes, well, slipstreaming files into an XP CD isn't something most of us have done, you're in the minority there. But I've set up several SATA systems and never needed a driver floppy for them, because I used the on-chipset controller and disabled RAID mode. Windows Setup sees whatever drives appear in BIOS using some generic driver.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
April 24, 2005 9:14:10 PM

I made a XP Pro SP2 slipstream CD for the installation I am using now. Was not difficult at all.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>
April 24, 2005 9:23:30 PM

A minority is less than 50% by definition. Most defines a majority, which is anything larger than 50%...

April 25, 2005 3:57:21 PM

I have a Win XP/SP2 CD how can I add the sata drivers to a copy of this CD.
April 25, 2005 4:07:18 PM

<i>>I made a XP Pro SP2 slipstream CD for the installation I am using now</i>

Ditto.
April 27, 2005 6:57:32 PM

I'm a noob when it comes to sata. I have XP PRO SP2. I'm trying to just install XP on a single RAPTOR. All I get is a blure screen error. I have a via chipset. I've tried with F6, and without. Will a RTC clear, and start fresh help. It hasn't worked from the get go. Even when I found out you sometimes need a third party program driver for Windows to see the sata drive. The only luck I've got was the system seen it only on RAID CHANNEL 0. When it's on a regualr sata channel it doesn't see it at all. I have the option in the bios to set the RAID function to ide master or something. (it says to do this If your using a single drive). I'm really lost, and would like to know what I'm doing wrong, or if theres a problem with my system. I have latest bios drivers. The HD works for sure. I have formatted it. Ummm.....I used sandra to check for some stuff, and it shows that the drivers are their. So I assume when I boot the system from the INSTALL CD, and having only the SATA drive hooked up it would see it, but it doesn't. When is starts to say (WINDOWS IS NOW STARTING) it cuts to a blue screen. What's the deal!!??

ASUS A8V DELUXE K8T800 PRO
AMD ATHLON 64 +3200 (939)
(2)1 GB CORSAIR RAM PC3200 400 MHZ
BFG 6800 GEFORCE ULTRA OC (AGP)
(2) WD 74GB RAPTORS (SATA)
(1) WD 120GB (IDE)
!