Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Windows Genuine Advantage 2005

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 5:56:27 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

What's going on with Windows Genuine Advantage?

This article asked counterfit users to name their vendors in exchange
for free replacement software. If a bunch of vendors were arrested I'd
expect news reports. Is this just another example of Microsoft's
confusion with Genuine Advantage?
http://www.microsoft-watch.com/article2/0,2180,1812890,...

The latest story is a deadline for India. Windows Genuine Advantage is
supposed to start on Tuesday, July 26th.
http://informationweek.securitypipeline.com/news/166401...

I'd like to know when Windows Genuine Advantage is going to start for
America. There have been some dates suggested in previous articles and
threads, but I'd like to see some real information. I'd like to do
some planning.

The fact is that I administer machines that have not been activated.
It's not because we don't own the licenses. We own plenty of licenses.
We own more licenses then we are using. Money is not the issue.

The reason that I won't activate these machines is because I don't have
to. I won't make appointments with my users to perform an unecessary
task, and I probably won't remember to activate all of my new
roll-outs.

Someone please tell the date. That's when 'unecessary' becomes
'necessary' and I take this initiative seriously.
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 8:02:29 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Tom;
I am not sure when, but that date sounds like what I have heard before.

How are the computers used if they are not activated?
Once installed, there is normally only 30 days to activate before Windows
will cease to function.
If the computers need to be activated, your time is running out very soon
with or without WGA.

If you are using Volume License, Activation is not an issue for you.
Or are you possible confusing activation with registration?
There has not been and will not be a requirement for registration.

This link has more information:
http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx?dis...

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
http://www.dts-l.org


"Tom Penharston" <thinkpersuasion@netscape.net> wrote in message
news:1122065786.975288.182750@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> What's going on with Windows Genuine Advantage?
>
> This article asked counterfit users to name their vendors in exchange
> for free replacement software. If a bunch of vendors were arrested I'd
> expect news reports. Is this just another example of Microsoft's
> confusion with Genuine Advantage?
> http://www.microsoft-watch.com/article2/0,2180,1812890,...
>
> The latest story is a deadline for India. Windows Genuine Advantage is
> supposed to start on Tuesday, July 26th.
> http://informationweek.securitypipeline.com/news/166401...
>
> I'd like to know when Windows Genuine Advantage is going to start for
> America. There have been some dates suggested in previous articles and
> threads, but I'd like to see some real information. I'd like to do
> some planning.
>
> The fact is that I administer machines that have not been activated.
> It's not because we don't own the licenses. We own plenty of licenses.
> We own more licenses then we are using. Money is not the issue.
>
> The reason that I won't activate these machines is because I don't have
> to. I won't make appointments with my users to perform an unecessary
> task, and I probably won't remember to activate all of my new
> roll-outs.
>
> Someone please tell the date. That's when 'unecessary' becomes
> 'necessary' and I take this initiative seriously.
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 8:03:46 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I'm always impressed when responses come in quickly. Thanks. I
administer multiple computers. Some have volume licenses, some are
single device license. I believe I've activated when necessary. None
of my clients have ceased to function.

I never registered my machines. I was under the same impression as
you, that registration would not be required. I'm glad that
registration is not connected to WGA.

The WGA faq disscusses validation and activation: "Volume License
customers need to validate, but do not need to enter their Windows
Product Key. Volume License customers typically receive updates from
their IT department, and usually do not have access to Windows Product
Keys"

When I read the phrase, "from thier IT department" I know that this is
a reference to my SUS. As far as I know SUS is still current
technology. Yet, I was under the impression that I would be forced
to replace my SUS with a new version (or make significant updates to my
current SUS) in order to support WGA validation.
Related resources
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 8:03:59 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Well, it's not yet July 26th, is it? Stay tuned....

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/window...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Tom Penharston" wrote:

| What's going on with Windows Genuine Advantage?
|
| This article asked counterfit users to name their vendors in exchange
| for free replacement software. If a bunch of vendors were arrested I'd
| expect news reports. Is this just another example of Microsoft's
| confusion with Genuine Advantage?
| http://www.microsoft-watch.com/article2/0,2180,1812890,...
|
| The latest story is a deadline for India. Windows Genuine Advantage is
| supposed to start on Tuesday, July 26th.
| http://informationweek.securitypipeline.com/news/166401...
|
| I'd like to know when Windows Genuine Advantage is going to start for
| America. There have been some dates suggested in previous articles and
| threads, but I'd like to see some real information. I'd like to do
| some planning.
|
| The fact is that I administer machines that have not been activated.
| It's not because we don't own the licenses. We own plenty of licenses.
| We own more licenses then we are using. Money is not the issue.
|
| The reason that I won't activate these machines is because I don't have
| to. I won't make appointments with my users to perform an unecessary
| task, and I probably won't remember to activate all of my new
| roll-outs.
|
| Someone please tell the date. That's when 'unecessary' becomes
| 'necessary' and I take this initiative seriously.
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 1:05:12 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Will SUS be updated to support Windows Genuine Advantage?
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 4:21:13 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Thanks Torgeir.

I started a thread in this same group
(microsoft.public.windowsxp.general) six months ago. The URL for the
thread is cumbersome, but I'll provide it here for reference:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.wi...
It's a very long thread with some difficult reading and disagreements,
but overall it was helpful at the time. Most of my questions were
answered by an MVP by the name of Mike Brannigan. He worked on that
thread diligently. I'm still not entirely sure what motivates MVPs but
the MS site says that Microsoft MVPs "share a passion for technology
and a demonstrated willingness to help others." That's convenient for
me, because there are certain subjects where MVPs can articulate in two
sentences what it takes technet thousands of words to express. I'd
rather hear it from an MVP.

So, I appreciate MVPs andI hope the MVPs don't take MS criticism
personally.

Given what I've read I'm under the impression that WGA poses a problem
for individual pirates. However, a group of pirates could distribute
update binaries from servers or media to keep their software current.

If this is true, imagine a group of pirates running a profit making
company on unlicensed MS software, but the ones getting stuck on WGA
are the casual users.
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 10:24:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Tom Penharston wrote:

> Will SUS be updated to support Windows Genuine Advantage?
>
Hi,

As SUS and WSUS supports updating clients with no Internet access, and
also non-admin users having no access to any WU/AU interface, I doubt
very much that there will be introduced a requirement for that.

Note that support for SUS will stop working June 6, 2006, so you
should consider update to WSUS.


Windows Server Update Services
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/updateserv...



--
torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway
Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of
the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/default.m...
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 11:36:40 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

On 25 Jul 2005 12:21:13 -0700, "Tom Penharston"
<thinkpersuasion@netscape.net> wrote:

>Thanks Torgeir.
>
>I started a thread in this same group
>(microsoft.public.windowsxp.general) six months ago. The URL for the
>thread is cumbersome, but I'll provide it here for reference:
>http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.wi...
>It's a very long thread with some difficult reading and disagreements,
>but overall it was helpful at the time. Most of my questions were
>answered by an MVP by the name of Mike Brannigan. He worked on that
>thread diligently. I'm still not entirely sure what motivates MVPs but
>the MS site says that Microsoft MVPs "share a passion for technology
>and a demonstrated willingness to help others." That's convenient for
>me, because there are certain subjects where MVPs can articulate in two
>sentences what it takes technet thousands of words to express. I'd
>rather hear it from an MVP.
>
>So, I appreciate MVPs andI hope the MVPs don't take MS criticism
>personally.
>
>Given what I've read I'm under the impression that WGA poses a problem
>for individual pirates. However, a group of pirates could distribute
>update binaries from servers or media to keep their software current.
>
>If this is true, imagine a group of pirates running a profit making
>company on unlicensed MS software, but the ones getting stuck on WGA
>are the casual users.

Hi,

Just to set the record straight Mike Brannigan works for Microsoft and
is not an MVP. He comes here from time to time and inputs his advice.
I agree that the MVP and others that post here are offering a very
valuable service for people all on their own time. I have learned a
heck of a lot from these people, that would probably cost thousands
and thousands of dollars otherwise.

Driver
Anonymous
July 26, 2005 4:20:25 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Thanks Driver. That would explain why Brannigan was responding head-on
in that thread; he works for MS. I just did a Google Groups search for
his name and it looks he takes a lot of abuse from anonymous posters.

I still have questions about WGA. If I need to cross-post to other
groups please let me know.

Here's my latest question. Although I will be relying on SUS/WSUS for
most updates, I have several systems that do not access to my update
server. One example of this is a notebook computer off of my LAN.
Another example of this is a manual clientside update - because forced
updates from the WU GUI always go to the www instead of the SUS/WSUS
(the behavior is apparently normal for MS but it's completely counter
intuitive for me.)

The way I see it, Torgeir's answer was incomplete, and my volume
licenses will, in fact, have reason to get updates from the web in
certain cases. Right?




> Hi,
>
> Just to set the record straight Mike Brannigan works for Microsoft and
> is not an MVP. He comes here from time to time and inputs his advice.
> I agree that the MVP and others that post here are offering a very
> valuable service for people all on their own time. I have learned a
> heck of a lot from these people, that would probably cost thousands
> and thousands of dollars otherwise.
>
> Driver
Anonymous
July 26, 2005 10:57:41 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

On 26 Jul 2005 12:20:25 -0700, "Tom Penharston"
<thinkpersuasion@netscape.net> wrote:

>Thanks Driver. That would explain why Brannigan was responding head-on
>in that thread; he works for MS. I just did a Google Groups search for
>his name and it looks he takes a lot of abuse from anonymous posters.
>
>I still have questions about WGA. If I need to cross-post to other
>groups please let me know.
>
>Here's my latest question. Although I will be relying on SUS/WSUS for
>most updates, I have several systems that do not access to my update
>server. One example of this is a notebook computer off of my LAN.
>Another example of this is a manual clientside update - because forced
>updates from the WU GUI always go to the www instead of the SUS/WSUS
>(the behavior is apparently normal for MS but it's completely counter
>intuitive for me.)
>
>The way I see it, Torgeir's answer was incomplete, and my volume
>licenses will, in fact, have reason to get updates from the web in
>certain cases. Right?
>
Hi,
I would follow the link that you have been given by Torgeir as he
knows MUCH more about this subject that I do. Yes, you may have to
crosspost, and yes Mike does take a lot of abuse. More than you know.
Good luck!!

Driver
!