Dell "Upgrade" pricing

itadakimasu

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
Ok... this is a rant.

WTF DEll? Upgrade?

This is a rant about how insane Dell's upgrade prices are. I was trying to compare a quote I got for a new server on dells site. This server defaults w\ a Celeron 330... what a piece of crap... $30 retail price maybe. so, lets upgrade !!!

What first catches my eye is the E7300 Core2, which I believe retails around $125... hell, lets over shoot and say $150.

Dell price ? $499!

WHAT THE F#$*% is that? seriously dell... WTF! I just bought a used server off ebay for $242 w\ better specs than this R200 celeron powered server, and the one I bought also has 2003 server coa / 5 cals ( $799 dell value ) LOL...

itadakimasu

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
I'm going to bump my previous rant...

Dell still hasn't done anything with this apparently.

I was browsing earlier and they have some poweredge servers " on sale " so, I'm browsing and I'm looking at the fairly new T110 model. It has a 2.4ghz quad core 1156 pin, so it's basically an i5 Xeon cpu... 2gb ram, and 250 gb hard drive fore $399.

The hard drive has a check box, and a quantity box too. So, I unchecked it and the price dropped to $270. Which, i thought seemed pretty good for a quad, and 2gb ram. BUT... Dells website won't let you add it to your cart without a hard drive.

If they're calculating $129 of the price as a 250gb sata hard drive... no thankyou. That's more than 1/4 of the price of the server. For $129 there are alot of options you could get for a hard drive ( not through Dell ).

This just reminded me of how poorly dell has set it's pricing on its website. I like dell systems, I really do. But I'm not going to pay $129 for a hard drive that is worth maybe $30.