Psykro

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2005
I dunno if this is the right place to ask this question. I have a Nforce board that supports DDR 400 Mhz RAM. I currently have one 512 MB DDR 333 Mhz and one 128 MB DDR 333 Mhz installed on the board. Is it possible that the slower than supported RAM might cause lagging/freezing problems in high end games like Far Cry.

The rest of my machine :
MSI Neo Nforce 3 board
socket 754 amd 64 3000 +
nvidia nx6600gt 128 mb
80 gb sata hdd (main drive)
80 gb ide hdd

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my DOS the most !<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by psykro on 04/25/05 05:14 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

BrentUnitedMem

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
Slower memory does not necessarily cause anymore freezing than faster memory; it's more an issue of memory quality.

Memory that is built and tested for compatibility with the target motherboard should never cause your system to freeze. If your system freezes, it's most likely the power supply or CPU.

In anycase, the performance difference between DDR-333 and DDR-400 is only about 5-7% at most.

<font color=green>*****
"Memory with lifetime warranty? So, whose lifetime is that?"
<A HREF="http://www.brentcrowley.com/" target="_new">homepage</A>
<font color=red>AIM BrentUnitedMem

Psykro

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2005
cool thanks. It only seems to happen in Far Cry. I installed Republic Commando last night and everything runs smoothly. So I'm guessing that it's a Far Cry game setting ?
Thanks for the info.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my DOS the most !

BrentUnitedMem

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
Some games are picky with the sound card drivers also. The wrong drivers can cause unwanted problems during game play.

If you further suspect your memory to be the culprit, you can always download Memtest86 to test the memory for errors.

To create a memtest86 CD you'll need burning software capable of burning .ISO files as images to CD. WindowsXP cannot do this.

<font color=green>*****
"Memory with lifetime warranty? So, whose lifetime is that?"
<A HREF="http://www.brentcrowley.com/" target="_new">homepage</A>
<font color=red>AIM BrentUnitedMem