Preliminary features:

Aero Glass, the higher-end user experience, will be a true superset of Aero
and will come with higher hardware requirements. "Aero Glass will provide
a beautiful [UI] experience with transition animations. Window frames will
be a bit blurry and translucent, making text easier to read. Transparencies and
animations will be hallmarks of the Aero Glass user experience, with more
modern, high-quality visualizations than with [standard] Aero." Aero Glass
will require a DirectX 9-compliant 3-D graphics processor with at least 64MB
of RAM, although Microsoft will recommend 128MB to 256MB of RAM.

Article

Aero Glass experience
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/display/graphics-reqs.mspx

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Leonard" wrote:

| I hope the operating system is a lot better than the name!

Wow....we've waited years all these years for a new OS only to get a new
desktop theme? Can't wait! What's actually still going to be in
Longhorn/Vista that warrants a new OS? I know they will be backporting some
of the key items right into XP and some of the big improvements they've been
promising have just been thrown on the back-burner, so what reasons are
there for people to actually want to upgrade?

> Preliminary features:
>
> Aero Glass, the higher-end user experience, will be a true superset of
Aero
> and will come with higher hardware requirements. "Aero Glass will provide
> a beautiful [UI] experience with transition animations. Window frames will
> be a bit blurry and translucent, making text easier to read.
Transparencies and
> animations will be hallmarks of the Aero Glass user experience, with more
> modern, high-quality visualizations than with [standard] Aero." Aero Glass
> will require a DirectX 9-compliant 3-D graphics processor with at least
64MB
> of RAM, although Microsoft will recommend 128MB to 256MB of RAM.
>
> Article
> http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1130996/posts
>
> Aero Glass experience
> http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/display/graphics-reqs.mspx
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

-----------------

> "Leonard" wrote:
>
> | I hope the operating system is a lot better than the name!

You cannot upgrade until its released next year.
I'm sure the final version will be exciting with
a host of new features.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"GO" wrote:

| Wow....we've waited years all these years for a new OS only to get a new
| desktop theme? Can't wait! What's actually still going to be in
| Longhorn/Vista that warrants a new OS? I know they will be backporting some
| of the key items right into XP and some of the big improvements they've been
| promising have just been thrown on the back-burner, so what reasons are
| there for people to actually want to upgrade?

Leonard

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2002

Wow! Vista, and Aero Glass too! Wow man, I don't think I can take
all of that at once. :-(

"GO" <aa533@remove.this.chebucto.ns.ca> wrote in message
| Wow....we've waited years all these years for a new OS only to get a new
| desktop theme? Can't wait! What's actually still going to be in
| Longhorn/Vista that warrants a new OS? I know they will be backporting
some
| of the key items right into XP and some of the big improvements they've
been
| promising have just been thrown on the back-burner, so what reasons are
| there for people to actually want to upgrade?
|

| "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message
| > Preliminary features:
| >
| > Aero Glass, the higher-end user experience, will be a true superset of
| Aero
| > and will come with higher hardware requirements. "Aero Glass will
provide
| > a beautiful [UI] experience with transition animations. Window frames
will
| > be a bit blurry and translucent, making text easier to read.
| Transparencies and
| > animations will be hallmarks of the Aero Glass user experience, with
more
| > modern, high-quality visualizations than with [standard] Aero." Aero
Glass
| > will require a DirectX 9-compliant 3-D graphics processor with at least
| 64MB
| > of RAM, although Microsoft will recommend 128MB to 256MB of RAM.
| >
| > Article
| > http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1130996/posts
| >
| > Aero Glass experience
| > http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/display/graphics-reqs.mspx
| >
| > --
| > Carey Frisch
| > Microsoft MVP
| > Windows XP - Shell/User
| > Microsoft Newsgroups
| >
| > Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
| > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

| -----------------
| >
| > "Leonard" wrote:
| >
| > | I hope the operating system is a lot better than the name!

Hi,
Here is a link that should have more info by monday and a lot more info on
Aug 3rd it still has longhorn info on it but it will be updated to Vista
on monday
www.winsupersite.com The name change was anounced today so microsoft
hasnt linked out that munch deteals to the plubic. but save this site and
check back monday afternoon ( thats when the site is ushualy updated, weekday
afternoons) and the site should have more info on windows vista

"Leonard" wrote:

> Wow! Vista, and Aero Glass too! Wow man, I don't think I can take
> all of that at once. :-(
>

> "GO" <aa533@remove.this.chebucto.ns.ca> wrote in message
> | Wow....we've waited years all these years for a new OS only to get a new
> | desktop theme? Can't wait! What's actually still going to be in
> | Longhorn/Vista that warrants a new OS? I know they will be backporting
> some
> | of the key items right into XP and some of the big improvements they've
> been
> | promising have just been thrown on the back-burner, so what reasons are
> | there for people to actually want to upgrade?
> |

> | "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message
> | > Preliminary features:
> | >
> | > Aero Glass, the higher-end user experience, will be a true superset of
> | Aero
> | > and will come with higher hardware requirements. "Aero Glass will
> provide
> | > a beautiful [UI] experience with transition animations. Window frames
> will
> | > be a bit blurry and translucent, making text easier to read.
> | Transparencies and
> | > animations will be hallmarks of the Aero Glass user experience, with
> more
> | > modern, high-quality visualizations than with [standard] Aero." Aero
> Glass
> | > will require a DirectX 9-compliant 3-D graphics processor with at least
> | 64MB
> | > of RAM, although Microsoft will recommend 128MB to 256MB of RAM.
> | >
> | > Article
> | > http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1130996/posts
> | >
> | > Aero Glass experience
> | > http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/display/graphics-reqs.mspx
> | >
> | > --
> | > Carey Frisch
> | > Microsoft MVP
> | > Windows XP - Shell/User
> | > Microsoft Newsgroups
> | >
> | > Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
> | > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

> | -----------------

hi here is the link again
http://www.winsupersite.com/
hope this one works

"chrisg1990" wrote:

> Hi,
> Here is a link that should have more info by monday and a lot more info on
> Aug 3rd it still has longhorn info on it but it will be updated to Vista
> on monday
> www.winsupersite.com The name change was anounced today so microsoft
> hasnt linked out that munch deteals to the plubic. but save this site and
> check back monday afternoon ( thats when the site is ushualy updated, weekday
> afternoons) and the site should have more info on windows vista
>
> "Leonard" wrote:
>
> > Wow! Vista, and Aero Glass too! Wow man, I don't think I can take
> > all of that at once. :-(
> >

> > "GO" <aa533@remove.this.chebucto.ns.ca> wrote in message
> > | Wow....we've waited years all these years for a new OS only to get a new
> > | desktop theme? Can't wait! What's actually still going to be in
> > | Longhorn/Vista that warrants a new OS? I know they will be backporting
> > some
> > | of the key items right into XP and some of the big improvements they've
> > been
> > | promising have just been thrown on the back-burner, so what reasons are
> > | there for people to actually want to upgrade?
> > |

> > | "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message

> > | Aero
> > provide
> > will
> > | Transparencies and
> > more
> > Glass
> > | 64MB

> > > --------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > | -----------------

> You cannot upgrade until its released next year.

Yes, I realize that. Especially considering it's not even in beta form yet.

> I'm sure the final version will be exciting with
> a host of new features.

Like all of the exciting features offered in XP over Win2k? It about to be
released for beta testing which means it's pretty much in it's final form
right now, yet there's been no talk of anything exciting in it. I was being
serious when I asked if there was going to be any compelling reason for
people to upgrade. As near as I can tell there is none.

> "GO" wrote:
>
> | Wow....we've waited years all these years for a new OS only to get a new
> | desktop theme? Can't wait! What's actually still going to be in
> | Longhorn/Vista that warrants a new OS? I know they will be backporting
some
> | of the key items right into XP and some of the big improvements they've
been
> | promising have just been thrown on the back-burner, so what reasons are
> | there for people to actually want to upgrade?

bryce

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2001

Don't expect anything new in the Vista OS.

Marketers will attempt to make you think there is something beneficial, or
value added, but nothing worth moving from XP.

>> You cannot upgrade until its released next year.
>
> Yes, I realize that. Especially considering it's not even in beta form
> yet.
>
>> I'm sure the final version will be exciting with
>> a host of new features.
>
> Like all of the exciting features offered in XP over Win2k? It about to
> be
> released for beta testing which means it's pretty much in it's final form
> right now, yet there's been no talk of anything exciting in it. I was
> being
> serious when I asked if there was going to be any compelling reason for
> people to upgrade. As near as I can tell there is none.
>

>> "GO" wrote:
>>
>> | Wow....we've waited years all these years for a new OS only to get a
>> new
>> | desktop theme? Can't wait! What's actually still going to be in
>> | Longhorn/Vista that warrants a new OS? I know they will be backporting
> some
>> | of the key items right into XP and some of the big improvements they've
> been
>> | promising have just been thrown on the back-burner, so what reasons are
>> | there for people to actually want to upgrade?

Hopefully the nonsense can be turned off. Better yet, we won't buy it in
the first place.

> Preliminary features:
>
> Aero Glass, the higher-end user experience, will be a true superset of
> Aero
> and will come with higher hardware requirements. "Aero Glass will provide
> a beautiful [UI] experience with transition animations. Window frames will
> be a bit blurry and translucent, making text easier to read.
> Transparencies and
> animations will be hallmarks of the Aero Glass user experience, with more
> modern, high-quality visualizations than with [standard] Aero." Aero Glass
> will require a DirectX 9-compliant 3-D graphics processor with at least
> 64MB
> of RAM, although Microsoft will recommend 128MB to 256MB of RAM.
>
> Article
> http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1130996/posts
>
> Aero Glass experience
> http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/display/graphics-reqs.mspx
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Leonard" wrote:
>
> | I hope the operating system is a lot better than the name!

>> It about to be released for beta testing which means it's pretty much in it's final form right
>> now

Incorrect. Windows Vista (formerly known as Windows codename "Longhorn") is in a very preliminary
stage and is set to enter beta on 3rd August. These is a long way to go and many new features would
be added to Windows Vista. The expected RTM date of Windows Vista is late 2006 or even 2007.

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

In memory of Alex Nichol

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> wrote in message
> >> It about to be released for beta testing which means it's pretty much
in it's final form right
> >> now
>
> Incorrect. Windows Vista (formerly known as Windows codename "Longhorn")
is in a very preliminary
> stage and is set to enter beta on 3rd August. These is a long way to go
and many new features would
> be added to Windows Vista. The expected RTM date of Windows Vista is late
2006 or even 2007.

Well, I believe you are incorrect and you don't know anything about software
development. If MS continues to add features now it just goes to show at
how incompetent they really are. When a product enters the beta stage that
means it is more or less complete and it is typically issued to a target
audience to find any remaining bugs. If they continue to add features now
they are adding unknowns with potential bugs to what the developers consider
a final/stable product.

Oh, don't worry....I'm not expecting anything. But all of these lovely MVPs
think it'll be the best thing since sliced bread, although no one can say
why.

"Bryce" <fukuzz---at---hotmail---dot---com> wrote in message
> Don't expect anything new in the Vista OS.
>
> Marketers will attempt to make you think there is something beneficial, or
> value added, but nothing worth moving from XP.
>

> "GO" <aa533@remove.this.chebucto.ns.ca> wrote in message
> >> You cannot upgrade until its released next year.
> >
> > Yes, I realize that. Especially considering it's not even in beta form
> > yet.
> >
> >> I'm sure the final version will be exciting with
> >> a host of new features.
> >
> > Like all of the exciting features offered in XP over Win2k? It about
> > be
> > released for beta testing which means it's pretty much in it's final
form
> > right now, yet there's been no talk of anything exciting in it. I was
> > being
> > serious when I asked if there was going to be any compelling reason for
> > people to upgrade. As near as I can tell there is none.

> >> new
> > some
> > been

Really?
Can you support that statement?
Or do you use the word "all" very loosely?

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

> Oh, don't worry....I'm not expecting anything. But all of these lovely
> MVPs
> think it'll be the best thing since sliced bread, although no one can say
> why.

Obviously not *all* mvp's as I don't know all of them. It was more of a
general "all" but I guess targeted at the fanatical mvps in this group. But
you missed the whole point of the reply....I just want to know what Vista is
going to offer besides a cpu busting GUI and the introduction to draconian
DRM (digital rights management).

> Really?
> Can you support that statement?
> Or do you use the word "all" very loosely?
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> http://www.dts-l.org
>

> "GO" <aa533@remove.this.chebucto.ns.ca> wrote in message
> > Oh, don't worry....I'm not expecting anything. But all of these lovely
> > MVPs
> > think it'll be the best thing since sliced bread, although no one can
say
> > why.

Please revisit this newsgroup in about a year.

We shall all have to wait and see what all is included.
As I understand it when a product enters Beta most is set, but there is
still a lot of time and room for a change.
For the most part there may be no reason for most to upgrade unless there is
something specific needed in Vista.
Many will just because it is new.
Others will get Vista simply because it is time for a new computer and Vista
will be included.
No one will be forced to upgrade and those that do upgrade will do it
because they will choose to.

Ignore all propaganda both for and against Vista, make your decisions on
your needs.

--

"Leonard" <lennykocksman@swplace.net> wrote in news:e#2#COwjFHA.2156
@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl:

> I hope the operating system is a lot better than the name!

Frankly, I would prefer more simplicity over "clarity" (whatever *that*
means!) but I guess "Windows Simplista" sounds too much like an artifical
sweetener.

I predict mild initial excitement and then groans when we see that it's
really just a new gloss (with new hardware requirements) on an otherwise
overly complex, unintuitive old OS (WinXP).

Leonard

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2002

I agree. Everytime I load Win XP and read all the great things
it says it does on the screen during setup...how great the new security
features are (yeah, right!), etc., I have the feeling that "thou doth toot
thy horn too mucheth". Then I spend a lot of time disabling this
feature, and that one, getting rid of the dog, ad naseum... If Vista
is proportionately larger than XP, as XP was to 98...whooeeee mon
gotta have one of them new 850 GB hard drives.

"listener" <listener@nospam.net> wrote in message
| "Leonard" <lennykocksman@swplace.net> wrote in news:e#2#COwjFHA.2156
| @TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl:
|
| > I hope the operating system is a lot better than the name!
| >

| Frankly, I would prefer more simplicity over "clarity" (whatever *that*
| means!) but I guess "Windows Simplista" sounds too much like an artifical
| sweetener.
|
| I predict mild initial excitement and then groans when we see that it's
| really just a new gloss (with new hardware requirements) on an otherwise
| overly complex, unintuitive old OS (WinXP).

"listener" <listener@nospam.net> wrote in message
> "Leonard" <lennykocksman@swplace.net> wrote in news:e#2#COwjFHA.2156
> @TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl:
>
>> I hope the operating system is a lot better than the name!
>>

> Frankly, I would prefer more simplicity over "clarity" (whatever *that*
> means!) but I guess "Windows Simplista" sounds too much like an artifical
> sweetener.
>
> I predict mild initial excitement and then groans when we see that it's
> really just a new gloss (with new hardware requirements) on an otherwise
> overly complex, unintuitive old OS (WinXP).

It will require rather significant hardware power, including 3-D graphics
cards....nothing less.

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Leonard wrote:
> I agree. Everytime I load Win XP and read all the great things
> it says it does on the screen during setup...how great the new security
> features are (yeah, right!), etc., I have the feeling that "thou doth toot
> thy horn too mucheth". Then I spend a lot of time disabling this
> feature, and that one, getting rid of the dog, ad naseum... If Vista
> is proportionately larger than XP, as XP was to 98...whooeeee mon
> gotta have one of them new 850 GB hard drives.
>
> "listener" <listener@nospam.net> wrote in message
> | "Leonard" <lennykocksman@swplace.net> wrote in news:e#2#COwjFHA.2156
> | @TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl:
> |
> | > I hope the operating system is a lot better than the name!
> | >

> | Frankly, I would prefer more simplicity over "clarity" (whatever *that*
> | means!) but I guess "Windows Simplista" sounds too much like an artifical
> | sweetener.
> |
> | I predict mild initial excitement and then groans when we see that it's
> | really just a new gloss (with new hardware requirements) on an otherwise
> | overly complex, unintuitive old OS (WinXP).

Hey Pal

If you're such a naysayer, don't buy it. Simple.. right? Why belly-ache
and whine like a baby when you have no intentions of learning what the
new system will include? Hey... there's Linux. Go download a copy of
Linux and stop your whining. I've a feeling, though, that whining is
your specialty. Right?

Plus The OS will eventuly go in to all 64 bit but when vista first comes
out it probluly be in 32 bit and 64 bit and by 2007/08 it might go in all 64
bit

"Alpha" <logos1@trip.net> wrote in message

> "listener" <listener@nospam.net> wrote in message
>> "Leonard" <lennykocksman@swplace.net> wrote in news:e#2#COwjFHA.2156
>> @TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl:
>>
>>> I hope the operating system is a lot better than the name!
>>>

>> Frankly, I would prefer more simplicity over "clarity" (whatever *that*
>> means!)

As I intimated, the UI will be very, very fancy with 3-D structure,
apparently. I guess that creates a Vista.

James
Dont put down other peoples posts. Everyone is intitled to their opaion
and so are you, but you need to be a little bit nicer when responding to
others posts.

"James" wrote:

> Leonard wrote:
> > I agree. Everytime I load Win XP and read all the great things
> > it says it does on the screen during setup...how great the new security
> > features are (yeah, right!), etc., I have the feeling that "thou doth toot
> > thy horn too mucheth". Then I spend a lot of time disabling this
> > feature, and that one, getting rid of the dog, ad naseum... If Vista
> > is proportionately larger than XP, as XP was to 98...whooeeee mon
> > gotta have one of them new 850 GB hard drives.
> >
> > "listener" <listener@nospam.net> wrote in message
> > | "Leonard" <lennykocksman@swplace.net> wrote in news:e#2#COwjFHA.2156
> > | @TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl:

> > | Frankly, I would prefer more simplicity over "clarity" (whatever *that*
> > | means!) but I guess "Windows Simplista" sounds too much like an artifical
> > | sweetener.
> > |
> > | I predict mild initial excitement and then groans when we see that it's
> > | really just a new gloss (with new hardware requirements) on an otherwise
> > | overly complex, unintuitive old OS (WinXP).
> >

> Hey Pal
>
> If you're such a naysayer, don't buy it. Simple.. right? Why belly-ache
> and whine like a baby when you have no intentions of learning what the
> new system will include? Hey... there's Linux. Go download a copy of
> Linux and stop your whining. I've a feeling, though, that whining is
> your specialty. Right?

Leonard

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2002

Oh contrare my friend. I have indeed experienced the "eXPerience"
and have found that all the hype about being so secure, et al, actually
came down to a system that required about a thousand patches and
fixes to get where we are today...and where are we...waiting for
another OS that's going to be more secure? We'll see.

In my humble opinion, which you seem to think I should not express...
while you blast away like yours is the only one worth venting, I think
the creators could have and should have done a better job of building
the product. Now you tell me not to buy it, after I've already spent
my hard earned money...lots of help you are ol' pal. I hope BG
doesn't stop too fast with you in that position or you'll suffocate.

"James" <leushinonospam@gmail.com> wrote in message
| Leonard wrote:
| > I agree. Everytime I load Win XP and read all the great things
| > it says it does on the screen during setup...how great the new security
| > features are (yeah, right!), etc., I have the feeling that "thou doth
toot
| > thy horn too mucheth". Then I spend a lot of time disabling this
| > feature, and that one, getting rid of the dog, ad naseum... If Vista
| > is proportionately larger than XP, as XP was to 98...whooeeee mon
| > gotta have one of them new 850 GB hard drives.
| >
| > "listener" <listener@nospam.net> wrote in message
| > | "Leonard" <lennykocksman@swplace.net> wrote in news:e#2#COwjFHA.2156
| > | @TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl:
| > |

| > |
| > | Frankly, I would prefer more simplicity over "clarity" (whatever
*that*
| > | means!) but I guess "Windows Simplista" sounds too much like an
artifical
| > | sweetener.
| > |