Windows Vista?

July 22, 2005 6:22:47 PM

I hope the operating system is a lot better than the name!

More about : windows vista

Anonymous
July 22, 2005 8:41:01 PM

Preliminary features:

Aero Glass, the higher-end user experience, will be a true superset of Aero
and will come with higher hardware requirements. "Aero Glass will provide
a beautiful [UI] experience with transition animations. Window frames will
be a bit blurry and translucent, making text easier to read. Transparencies and
animations will be hallmarks of the Aero Glass user experience, with more
modern, high-quality visualizations than with [standard] Aero." Aero Glass
will require a DirectX 9-compliant 3-D graphics processor with at least 64MB
of RAM, although Microsoft will recommend 128MB to 256MB of RAM.

Article

Aero Glass experience
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/display/graphics-r...

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Leonard" wrote:

| I hope the operating system is a lot better than the name!
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 10:46:05 PM

Wow....we've waited years all these years for a new OS only to get a new
desktop theme? Can't wait! What's actually still going to be in
Longhorn/Vista that warrants a new OS? I know they will be backporting some
of the key items right into XP and some of the big improvements they've been
promising have just been thrown on the back-burner, so what reasons are
there for people to actually want to upgrade?

news:o u$xPYwjFHA.3436@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Preliminary features:
>
> Aero Glass, the higher-end user experience, will be a true superset of
Aero
> and will come with higher hardware requirements. "Aero Glass will provide
> a beautiful [UI] experience with transition animations. Window frames will
> be a bit blurry and translucent, making text easier to read.
Transparencies and
> animations will be hallmarks of the Aero Glass user experience, with more
> modern, high-quality visualizations than with [standard] Aero." Aero Glass
> will require a DirectX 9-compliant 3-D graphics processor with at least
64MB
> of RAM, although Microsoft will recommend 128MB to 256MB of RAM.
>
> Article
> http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1130996/posts
>
> Aero Glass experience
> http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/display/graphics-r...
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

-----------------

> "Leonard" wrote:
>
> | I hope the operating system is a lot better than the name!
July 22, 2005 10:46:06 PM

You cannot upgrade until its released next year.
I'm sure the final version will be exciting with
a host of new features.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"GO" wrote:

| Wow....we've waited years all these years for a new OS only to get a new
| desktop theme? Can't wait! What's actually still going to be in
| Longhorn/Vista that warrants a new OS? I know they will be backporting some
| of the key items right into XP and some of the big improvements they've been
| promising have just been thrown on the back-burner, so what reasons are
| there for people to actually want to upgrade?
July 22, 2005 10:46:06 PM

Wow! Vista, and Aero Glass too! Wow man, I don't think I can take
all of that at once. :-(

"GO" <aa533@remove.this.chebucto.ns.ca> wrote in message
| Wow....we've waited years all these years for a new OS only to get a new
| desktop theme? Can't wait! What's actually still going to be in
| Longhorn/Vista that warrants a new OS? I know they will be backporting
some
| of the key items right into XP and some of the big improvements they've
been
| promising have just been thrown on the back-burner, so what reasons are
| there for people to actually want to upgrade?
|

| "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message
| news:o u$xPYwjFHA.3436@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
| > Preliminary features:
| >
| > Aero Glass, the higher-end user experience, will be a true superset of
| Aero
| > and will come with higher hardware requirements. "Aero Glass will
provide
| > a beautiful [UI] experience with transition animations. Window frames
will
| > be a bit blurry and translucent, making text easier to read.
| Transparencies and
| > animations will be hallmarks of the Aero Glass user experience, with
more
| > modern, high-quality visualizations than with [standard] Aero." Aero
Glass
| > will require a DirectX 9-compliant 3-D graphics processor with at least
| 64MB
| > of RAM, although Microsoft will recommend 128MB to 256MB of RAM.
| >
| > Article
| > http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1130996/posts
| >
| > Aero Glass experience
| > http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/display/graphics-r...
| >
| > --
| > Carey Frisch
| > Microsoft MVP
| > Windows XP - Shell/User
| > Microsoft Newsgroups
| >
| > Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
| > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/window...

| -----------------
| >
| > "Leonard" wrote:
| >
| > | I hope the operating system is a lot better than the name!

Anonymous
July 22, 2005 10:46:07 PM

Hi,
Here is a link that should have more info by monday and a lot more info on
Aug 3rd it still has longhorn info on it but it will be updated to Vista
on monday
www.winsupersite.com The name change was anounced today so microsoft
hasnt linked out that munch deteals to the plubic. but save this site and
check back monday afternoon ( thats when the site is ushualy updated, weekday
afternoons) and the site should have more info on windows vista

"Leonard" wrote:

> Wow! Vista, and Aero Glass too! Wow man, I don't think I can take
> all of that at once. :-(
>

> "GO" <aa533@remove.this.chebucto.ns.ca> wrote in message
> | Wow....we've waited years all these years for a new OS only to get a new
> | desktop theme? Can't wait! What's actually still going to be in
> | Longhorn/Vista that warrants a new OS? I know they will be backporting
> some
> | of the key items right into XP and some of the big improvements they've
> been
> | promising have just been thrown on the back-burner, so what reasons are
> | there for people to actually want to upgrade?
> |

> | "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message
> | news:o u$xPYwjFHA.3436@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> | > Preliminary features:
> | >
> | > Aero Glass, the higher-end user experience, will be a true superset of
> | Aero
> | > and will come with higher hardware requirements. "Aero Glass will
> provide
> | > a beautiful [UI] experience with transition animations. Window frames
> will
> | > be a bit blurry and translucent, making text easier to read.
> | Transparencies and
> | > animations will be hallmarks of the Aero Glass user experience, with
> more
> | > modern, high-quality visualizations than with [standard] Aero." Aero
> Glass
> | > will require a DirectX 9-compliant 3-D graphics processor with at least
> | 64MB
> | > of RAM, although Microsoft will recommend 128MB to 256MB of RAM.
> | >
> | > Article
> | > http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1130996/posts
> | >
> | > Aero Glass experience
> | > http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/display/graphics-r...
> | >
> | > --
> | > Carey Frisch
> | > Microsoft MVP
> | > Windows XP - Shell/User
> | > Microsoft Newsgroups
> | >
> | > Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
> | > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/window...

> | -----------------

Anonymous
July 22, 2005 10:46:08 PM

hi here is the link again
http://www.winsupersite.com/
hope this one works

"chrisg1990" wrote:

> Hi,
> Here is a link that should have more info by monday and a lot more info on
> Aug 3rd it still has longhorn info on it but it will be updated to Vista
> on monday
> www.winsupersite.com The name change was anounced today so microsoft
> hasnt linked out that munch deteals to the plubic. but save this site and
> check back monday afternoon ( thats when the site is ushualy updated, weekday
> afternoons) and the site should have more info on windows vista
>
> "Leonard" wrote:
>
> > Wow! Vista, and Aero Glass too! Wow man, I don't think I can take
> > all of that at once. :-(
> >

> > "GO" <aa533@remove.this.chebucto.ns.ca> wrote in message
> > | Wow....we've waited years all these years for a new OS only to get a new
> > | desktop theme? Can't wait! What's actually still going to be in
> > | Longhorn/Vista that warrants a new OS? I know they will be backporting
> > some
> > | of the key items right into XP and some of the big improvements they've
> > been
> > | promising have just been thrown on the back-burner, so what reasons are
> > | there for people to actually want to upgrade?
> > |

> > | "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message
> > | news:o u$xPYwjFHA.3436@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...

> > | Aero
> > provide
> > will
> > | Transparencies and
> > more
> > Glass
> > | 64MB

> > > --------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > | -----------------

Anonymous
July 22, 2005 11:36:52 PM

> You cannot upgrade until its released next year.

Yes, I realize that. Especially considering it's not even in beta form yet.

> I'm sure the final version will be exciting with
> a host of new features.

Like all of the exciting features offered in XP over Win2k? It about to be
released for beta testing which means it's pretty much in it's final form
right now, yet there's been no talk of anything exciting in it. I was being
serious when I asked if there was going to be any compelling reason for
people to upgrade. As near as I can tell there is none.

> "GO" wrote:
>
> | Wow....we've waited years all these years for a new OS only to get a new
> | desktop theme? Can't wait! What's actually still going to be in
> | Longhorn/Vista that warrants a new OS? I know they will be backporting
some
> | of the key items right into XP and some of the big improvements they've
been
> | promising have just been thrown on the back-burner, so what reasons are
> | there for people to actually want to upgrade?

July 22, 2005 11:36:53 PM

Don't expect anything new in the Vista OS.

Marketers will attempt to make you think there is something beneficial, or
value added, but nothing worth moving from XP.

>> You cannot upgrade until its released next year.
>
> Yes, I realize that. Especially considering it's not even in beta form
> yet.
>
>> I'm sure the final version will be exciting with
>> a host of new features.
>
> Like all of the exciting features offered in XP over Win2k? It about to
> be
> released for beta testing which means it's pretty much in it's final form
> right now, yet there's been no talk of anything exciting in it. I was
> being
> serious when I asked if there was going to be any compelling reason for
> people to upgrade. As near as I can tell there is none.
>

>> "GO" wrote:
>>
>> | Wow....we've waited years all these years for a new OS only to get a
>> new
>> | desktop theme? Can't wait! What's actually still going to be in
>> | Longhorn/Vista that warrants a new OS? I know they will be backporting
> some
>> | of the key items right into XP and some of the big improvements they've
> been
>> | promising have just been thrown on the back-burner, so what reasons are
>> | there for people to actually want to upgrade?

Anonymous
July 22, 2005 11:45:13 PM

Hopefully the nonsense can be turned off. Better yet, we won't buy it in
the first place.

news:o u$xPYwjFHA.3436@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Preliminary features:
>
> Aero Glass, the higher-end user experience, will be a true superset of
> Aero
> and will come with higher hardware requirements. "Aero Glass will provide
> a beautiful [UI] experience with transition animations. Window frames will
> be a bit blurry and translucent, making text easier to read.
> Transparencies and
> animations will be hallmarks of the Aero Glass user experience, with more
> modern, high-quality visualizations than with [standard] Aero." Aero Glass
> will require a DirectX 9-compliant 3-D graphics processor with at least
> 64MB
> of RAM, although Microsoft will recommend 128MB to 256MB of RAM.
>
> Article
> http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1130996/posts
>
> Aero Glass experience
> http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/display/graphics-r...
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Leonard" wrote:
>
> | I hope the operating system is a lot better than the name!
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 1:00:24 AM

>> It about to be released for beta testing which means it's pretty much in it's final form right
>> now

Incorrect. Windows Vista (formerly known as Windows codename "Longhorn") is in a very preliminary
stage and is set to enter beta on 3rd August. These is a long way to go and many new features would
be added to Windows Vista. The expected RTM date of Windows Vista is late 2006 or even 2007.

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

In memory of Alex Nichol

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"GO" <aa533@remove.this.chebucto.ns.ca> wrote in message
>> You cannot upgrade until its released next year.
>
> Yes, I realize that. Especially considering it's not even in beta form yet.
>
>> I'm sure the final version will be exciting with
>> a host of new features.
>
> Like all of the exciting features offered in XP over Win2k? It about to be
> released for beta testing which means it's pretty much in it's final form
> right now, yet there's been no talk of anything exciting in it. I was being
> serious when I asked if there was going to be any compelling reason for
> people to upgrade. As near as I can tell there is none.
>

>> "GO" wrote:
>>
>> | Wow....we've waited years all these years for a new OS only to get a new
>> | desktop theme? Can't wait! What's actually still going to be in
>> | Longhorn/Vista that warrants a new OS? I know they will be backporting
> some
>> | of the key items right into XP and some of the big improvements they've
> been
>> | promising have just been thrown on the back-burner, so what reasons are
>> | there for people to actually want to upgrade?

Anonymous
July 23, 2005 1:27:11 AM

"Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> wrote in message
news:o kFR$lxjFHA.576@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> >> It about to be released for beta testing which means it's pretty much
in it's final form right
> >> now
>
> Incorrect. Windows Vista (formerly known as Windows codename "Longhorn")
is in a very preliminary
> stage and is set to enter beta on 3rd August. These is a long way to go
and many new features would
> be added to Windows Vista. The expected RTM date of Windows Vista is late
2006 or even 2007.

Well, I believe you are incorrect and you don't know anything about software
development. If MS continues to add features now it just goes to show at
how incompetent they really are. When a product enters the beta stage that
means it is more or less complete and it is typically issued to a target
audience to find any remaining bugs. If they continue to add features now
they are adding unknowns with potential bugs to what the developers consider
a final/stable product.
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 1:29:59 AM

Oh, don't worry....I'm not expecting anything. But all of these lovely MVPs
think it'll be the best thing since sliced bread, although no one can say
why.

"Bryce" <fukuzz---at---hotmail---dot---com> wrote in message
> Don't expect anything new in the Vista OS.
>
> Marketers will attempt to make you think there is something beneficial, or
> value added, but nothing worth moving from XP.
>

> "GO" <aa533@remove.this.chebucto.ns.ca> wrote in message
> >> You cannot upgrade until its released next year.
> >
> > Yes, I realize that. Especially considering it's not even in beta form
> > yet.
> >
> >> I'm sure the final version will be exciting with
> >> a host of new features.
> >
> > Like all of the exciting features offered in XP over Win2k? It about
> > be
> > released for beta testing which means it's pretty much in it's final
form
> > right now, yet there's been no talk of anything exciting in it. I was
> > being
> > serious when I asked if there was going to be any compelling reason for
> > people to upgrade. As near as I can tell there is none.

> >> new
> > some
> > been

Anonymous
July 23, 2005 1:30:00 AM

Really?
Can you support that statement?
Or do you use the word "all" very loosely?

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

> Oh, don't worry....I'm not expecting anything. But all of these lovely
> MVPs
> think it'll be the best thing since sliced bread, although no one can say
> why.
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 2:51:27 AM

Obviously not *all* mvp's as I don't know all of them. It was more of a
general "all" but I guess targeted at the fanatical mvps in this group. But
you missed the whole point of the reply....I just want to know what Vista is
going to offer besides a cpu busting GUI and the introduction to draconian
DRM (digital rights management).

news:o JDaLqyjFHA.1044@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Really?
> Can you support that statement?
> Or do you use the word "all" very loosely?
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> http://www.dts-l.org
>

> "GO" <aa533@remove.this.chebucto.ns.ca> wrote in message
> > Oh, don't worry....I'm not expecting anything. But all of these lovely
> > MVPs
> > think it'll be the best thing since sliced bread, although no one can
say
> > why.

Anonymous
July 23, 2005 3:19:31 AM

Please revisit this newsgroup in about a year.
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 3:25:59 AM

We shall all have to wait and see what all is included.
As I understand it when a product enters Beta most is set, but there is
still a lot of time and room for a change.
For the most part there may be no reason for most to upgrade unless there is
something specific needed in Vista.
Many will just because it is new.
Others will get Vista simply because it is time for a new computer and Vista
will be included.
No one will be forced to upgrade and those that do upgrade will do it
because they will choose to.

Ignore all propaganda both for and against Vista, make your decisions on
your needs.

--

> Obviously not *all* mvp's as I don't know all of them. It was more of a
> general "all" but I guess targeted at the fanatical mvps in this group.
> But
> you missed the whole point of the reply....I just want to know what Vista
> is
> going to offer besides a cpu busting GUI and the introduction to draconian
> DRM (digital rights management).
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 4:24:27 AM

"Leonard" <lennykocksman@swplace.net> wrote in news:e#2#COwjFHA.2156
@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl:

> I hope the operating system is a lot better than the name!

Frankly, I would prefer more simplicity over "clarity" (whatever *that*
means!) but I guess "Windows Simplista" sounds too much like an artifical
sweetener.

I predict mild initial excitement and then groans when we see that it's
really just a new gloss (with new hardware requirements) on an otherwise
overly complex, unintuitive old OS (WinXP).
July 23, 2005 4:24:28 AM

I agree. Everytime I load Win XP and read all the great things
it says it does on the screen during setup...how great the new security
features are (yeah, right!), etc., I have the feeling that "thou doth toot
thy horn too mucheth". Then I spend a lot of time disabling this
feature, and that one, getting rid of the dog, ad naseum... If Vista
is proportionately larger than XP, as XP was to 98...whooeeee mon
gotta have one of them new 850 GB hard drives.

"listener" <listener@nospam.net> wrote in message
| "Leonard" <lennykocksman@swplace.net> wrote in news:e#2#COwjFHA.2156
| @TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl:
|
| > I hope the operating system is a lot better than the name!
| >

| Frankly, I would prefer more simplicity over "clarity" (whatever *that*
| means!) but I guess "Windows Simplista" sounds too much like an artifical
| sweetener.
|
| I predict mild initial excitement and then groans when we see that it's
| really just a new gloss (with new hardware requirements) on an otherwise
| overly complex, unintuitive old OS (WinXP).
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 4:24:28 AM

"listener" <listener@nospam.net> wrote in message
> "Leonard" <lennykocksman@swplace.net> wrote in news:e#2#COwjFHA.2156
> @TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl:
>
>> I hope the operating system is a lot better than the name!
>>

> Frankly, I would prefer more simplicity over "clarity" (whatever *that*
> means!) but I guess "Windows Simplista" sounds too much like an artifical
> sweetener.
>
> I predict mild initial excitement and then groans when we see that it's
> really just a new gloss (with new hardware requirements) on an otherwise
> overly complex, unintuitive old OS (WinXP).

It will require rather significant hardware power, including 3-D graphics
cards....nothing less.
July 23, 2005 4:24:29 AM

Leonard wrote:
> I agree. Everytime I load Win XP and read all the great things
> it says it does on the screen during setup...how great the new security
> features are (yeah, right!), etc., I have the feeling that "thou doth toot
> thy horn too mucheth". Then I spend a lot of time disabling this
> feature, and that one, getting rid of the dog, ad naseum... If Vista
> is proportionately larger than XP, as XP was to 98...whooeeee mon
> gotta have one of them new 850 GB hard drives.
>
> "listener" <listener@nospam.net> wrote in message
> | "Leonard" <lennykocksman@swplace.net> wrote in news:e#2#COwjFHA.2156
> | @TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl:
> |
> | > I hope the operating system is a lot better than the name!
> | >

> | Frankly, I would prefer more simplicity over "clarity" (whatever *that*
> | means!) but I guess "Windows Simplista" sounds too much like an artifical
> | sweetener.
> |
> | I predict mild initial excitement and then groans when we see that it's
> | really just a new gloss (with new hardware requirements) on an otherwise
> | overly complex, unintuitive old OS (WinXP).

Hey Pal

If you're such a naysayer, don't buy it. Simple.. right? Why belly-ache
and whine like a baby when you have no intentions of learning what the
new system will include? Hey... there's Linux. Go download a copy of
Linux and stop your whining. I've a feeling, though, that whining is
your specialty. Right?
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 4:24:29 AM

Plus The OS will eventuly go in to all 64 bit but when vista first comes
out it probluly be in 32 bit and 64 bit and by 2007/08 it might go in all 64
bit

"Alpha" wrote:

> "listener" <listener@nospam.net> wrote in message
> > "Leonard" <lennykocksman@swplace.net> wrote in news:e#2#COwjFHA.2156
> > @TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl:
> >
> >> I hope the operating system is a lot better than the name!
> >>

> > Frankly, I would prefer more simplicity over "clarity" (whatever *that*
> > means!) but I guess "Windows Simplista" sounds too much like an artifical
> > sweetener.
> >
> > I predict mild initial excitement and then groans when we see that it's
> > really just a new gloss (with new hardware requirements) on an otherwise
> > overly complex, unintuitive old OS (WinXP).
>
> It will require rather significant hardware power, including 3-D graphics
> cards....nothing less.

Anonymous
July 23, 2005 4:24:29 AM

"Alpha" <logos1@trip.net> wrote in message

> "listener" <listener@nospam.net> wrote in message
>> "Leonard" <lennykocksman@swplace.net> wrote in news:e#2#COwjFHA.2156
>> @TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl:
>>
>>> I hope the operating system is a lot better than the name!
>>>

>> Frankly, I would prefer more simplicity over "clarity" (whatever *that*
>> means!)

As I intimated, the UI will be very, very fancy with 3-D structure,
apparently. I guess that creates a Vista.
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 4:24:30 AM

James
Dont put down other peoples posts. Everyone is intitled to their opaion
and so are you, but you need to be a little bit nicer when responding to
others posts.

"James" wrote:

> Leonard wrote:
> > I agree. Everytime I load Win XP and read all the great things
> > it says it does on the screen during setup...how great the new security
> > features are (yeah, right!), etc., I have the feeling that "thou doth toot
> > thy horn too mucheth". Then I spend a lot of time disabling this
> > feature, and that one, getting rid of the dog, ad naseum... If Vista
> > is proportionately larger than XP, as XP was to 98...whooeeee mon
> > gotta have one of them new 850 GB hard drives.
> >
> > "listener" <listener@nospam.net> wrote in message
> > | "Leonard" <lennykocksman@swplace.net> wrote in news:e#2#COwjFHA.2156
> > | @TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl:

> > | Frankly, I would prefer more simplicity over "clarity" (whatever *that*
> > | means!) but I guess "Windows Simplista" sounds too much like an artifical
> > | sweetener.
> > |
> > | I predict mild initial excitement and then groans when we see that it's
> > | really just a new gloss (with new hardware requirements) on an otherwise
> > | overly complex, unintuitive old OS (WinXP).
> >

> Hey Pal
>
> If you're such a naysayer, don't buy it. Simple.. right? Why belly-ache
> and whine like a baby when you have no intentions of learning what the
> new system will include? Hey... there's Linux. Go download a copy of
> Linux and stop your whining. I've a feeling, though, that whining is
> your specialty. Right?

July 23, 2005 4:24:30 AM

Oh contrare my friend. I have indeed experienced the "eXPerience"
and have found that all the hype about being so secure, et al, actually
came down to a system that required about a thousand patches and
fixes to get where we are today...and where are we...waiting for
another OS that's going to be more secure? We'll see.

In my humble opinion, which you seem to think I should not express...
while you blast away like yours is the only one worth venting, I think
the creators could have and should have done a better job of building
the product. Now you tell me not to buy it, after I've already spent
my hard earned money...lots of help you are ol' pal. I hope BG
doesn't stop too fast with you in that position or you'll suffocate.

"James" <leushinonospam@gmail.com> wrote in message
| Leonard wrote:
| > I agree. Everytime I load Win XP and read all the great things
| > it says it does on the screen during setup...how great the new security
| > features are (yeah, right!), etc., I have the feeling that "thou doth
toot
| > thy horn too mucheth". Then I spend a lot of time disabling this
| > feature, and that one, getting rid of the dog, ad naseum... If Vista
| > is proportionately larger than XP, as XP was to 98...whooeeee mon
| > gotta have one of them new 850 GB hard drives.
| >
| > "listener" <listener@nospam.net> wrote in message
| > | "Leonard" <lennykocksman@swplace.net> wrote in news:e#2#COwjFHA.2156
| > | @TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl:
| > |

| > |
| > | Frankly, I would prefer more simplicity over "clarity" (whatever
*that*
| > | means!) but I guess "Windows Simplista" sounds too much like an
artifical
| > | sweetener.
| > |
| > | I predict mild initial excitement and then groans when we see that
it's
| > | really just a new gloss (with new hardware requirements) on an
otherwise
| > | overly complex, unintuitive old OS (WinXP).
| >

| Hey Pal
|
| If you're such a naysayer, don't buy it. Simple.. right? Why belly-ache
| and whine like a baby when you have no intentions of learning what the
| new system will include? Hey... there's Linux. Go download a copy of
| Linux and stop your whining. I've a feeling, though, that whining is
| your specialty. Right?
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 4:20:24 PM

In news:ejzWUXyjFHA.3288@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
GO <aa533@remove.this.chebucto.ns.ca> typed:

> Oh, don't worry....I'm not expecting anything. But all of
> these
> lovely MVPs think it'll be the best thing since sliced bread,
> although no one can say why.

I'm an MVP and since I know very little about Windows Vista, I
*don't* "think it'll be the best thing since sliced bread." I
have no opinion, and I'll reserve judgment until I see it.

Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 4:29:02 PM

"Alpha" <logos1@trip.net> wrote in news:11e3oqnbch80v52
@corp.supernews.com:

> "Alpha" <logos1@trip.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "listener" <listener@nospam.net> wrote in message
>>> "Leonard" <lennykocksman@swplace.net> wrote in news:e#2#COwjFHA.2156
>>> @TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl:

>>> Frankly, I would prefer more simplicity over "clarity" (whatever
*that*
>>> means!)
>
> As I intimated, the UI will be very, very fancy with 3-D structure,
> apparently. I guess that creates a Vista.

Yes, I understand. All the window dressing in the world can't turn a
sow's ear into a silk purse. Is it too much to ask for an OS that is
secure, intuitive to user needs and never crashes? After countless
hundreds of millions of dollars of development and testing, we really
deserve more for our money than what we have gotten. I want to believe
differently, but the past record does not bode well for WinVista (sounds
like an RV line).
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 4:53:51 PM

"GO" <aa533@remove.this.chebucto.ns.ca> wrote in message
>> You cannot upgrade until its released next year.
>
> Yes, I realize that. Especially considering it's not even in beta
> form yet.
>
>> I'm sure the final version will be exciting with
>> a host of new features.
>
> Like all of the exciting features offered in XP over Win2k? It
> about to be released for beta testing which means it's pretty much in
> it's final form right now, yet there's been no talk of anything
> exciting in it. I was being serious when I asked if there was going
> to be any compelling reason for people to upgrade. As near as I can
> tell there is none.

Mainstream support for XP Home expires at the end of 2006!
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 4:59:11 PM

There could be "Windows Commando" for the new generation of DOS enthusiasts! The
airports might buy that one for the control towers!

>> I hope the operating system is a lot better than the name!
>>

> Frankly, I would prefer more simplicity over "clarity" (whatever
> *that* means!) but I guess "Windows Simplista" sounds too much like
> an artifical sweetener.
>
> I predict mild initial excitement and then groans when we see that
> it's really just a new gloss (with new hardware requirements) on an
> otherwise overly complex, unintuitive old OS (WinXP).
July 23, 2005 5:35:36 PM

"" wrote:
> "listener" <listener@nospam.net> wrote in message
> > "Leonard" <lennykocksman@swplace.net> wrote in news:e#2#COwjFHA.2156
> > @TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl:
> >
> >> I hope the operating system is a lot better than the name!
> >>

> > Frankly, I would prefer more simplicity over "clarity"
> (whatever *that*
> > means!) but I guess "Windows Simplista" sounds too much like
> an artifical
> > sweetener.
> >
> > I predict mild initial excitement and then groans when we
> see that it's
> > really just a new gloss (with new hardware requirements) on
> an otherwise
> > overly complex, unintuitive old OS (WinXP).
>
> It will require rather significant hardware power, including
> 3-D graphics
> cards....nothing less.

Can i point you folks back to the statement "If it works, why fix it?"
and "If it works, why upgrade?" it will take several years befor xp
becomes outmoded, just like windows 2000 is still in heavy use today
in industry, as i have said befor (else where) windows 2000 in
microsofts poit of view is now outmoded, so they probably want
companys to upgrade to server 2003 and vista, but i dont think thats
going to hapen any time soon.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Windows...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1319603
July 23, 2005 6:18:51 PM

Kevin Brunt (Fat B@stard) wrote:
> Hey Carey,
>
> Did you write this using your own gray matter or did you
> just copy and paste somebody's work and claim to be your
> own? Does the word plagiarism ring a bell?

Carey is the "Copy and Paste MVP'. He has no life, he has no original
thoughts, he just knows how to copy and paste.
July 23, 2005 7:10:43 PM

"Cymbal Man Freq." wrote

> "GO" wrote

>>> You cannot upgrade until its released next year.
>>
>> Yes, I realize that. Especially considering it's not even in beta
>> form yet.
>>
>>> I'm sure the final version will be exciting with
>>> a host of new features.
>>
>> Like all of the exciting features offered in XP over Win2k? It
>> about to be released for beta testing which means it's pretty much in
>> it's final form right now, yet there's been no talk of anything
>> exciting in it. I was being serious when I asked if there was going
>> to be any compelling reason for people to upgrade. As near as I can
>> tell there is none.
>>

> Mainstream support for XP Home expires at the end of 2006!

So?

--
Alias

July 23, 2005 9:58:35 PM

Yes, copy and paste ideal when you have just one arm.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Curmudgeon" wrote:

| Carey is the "Copy and Paste MVP'. He has no life, he has no original
| thoughts, he just knows how to copy and paste.
July 23, 2005 10:32:29 PM

For what, Frisch? One year from not and even 2 more after that, this NG
will still deal with Windows XP.

> Please revisit this newsgroup in about a year.

July 23, 2005 10:36:05 PM

As usual, MS and its sycophants will make drivers and hardware compatibility
a problem for XP when Vista is launched, forcing all of us to purchase that.

"Leonard" <lennykocksman@swplace.net> wrote in message
>I hope the operating system is a lot better than the name!

Anonymous
July 24, 2005 2:28:19 AM

Well...that's not far from the truth. Especially if things like this come
to play:
http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000143050582/

"SC" <a@bb.com> wrote in message
> As usual, MS and its sycophants will make drivers and hardware
compatibility
> a problem for XP when Vista is launched, forcing all of us to purchase
that.

> "Leonard" <lennykocksman@swplace.net> wrote in message
> >I hope the operating system is a lot better than the name!

Anonymous
July 24, 2005 2:47:21 AM

I am confident enough to make informed decisions on which OS to choose, but
that's the problem....there are very few people out there (relative to the
actual amount computer users) that realize what they are getting themselves
into. And yes, in a sense people are being forced to upgrade. People
buying new computers will not have a choice on what OS they have installed.
And over time Vista will become the dominant Windows OS, which will in turn
result in new applications being written that won't be backwards compatible
and people that need to use these applications they will be forced to
upgrade. The bottom line is that I am getting tired of MS's practices as of
late and this new OS seems to be no exception. MS has been boasting about
it for a long time now with all these new and exciting innovations, all of
which have been removed/postponed now, so I am just wondering what's left to
warrant a new OS release?

> We shall all have to wait and see what all is included.
> As I understand it when a product enters Beta most is set, but there is
> still a lot of time and room for a change.
> For the most part there may be no reason for most to upgrade unless there
is
> something specific needed in Vista.
> Many will just because it is new.
> Others will get Vista simply because it is time for a new computer and
Vista
> will be included.
> No one will be forced to upgrade and those that do upgrade will do it
> because they will choose to.
>
> Ignore all propaganda both for and against Vista, make your decisions on
> your needs.
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> http://www.dts-l.org
>

> "GO" <aa533@remove.this.chebucto.ns.ca> wrote in message
> > Obviously not *all* mvp's as I don't know all of them. It was more of a
> > general "all" but I guess targeted at the fanatical mvps in this group.
> > But
> > you missed the whole point of the reply....I just want to know what
Vista
> > is
> > going to offer besides a cpu busting GUI and the introduction to
draconian
> > DRM (digital rights management).

Anonymous
July 24, 2005 2:47:59 AM

Then the answer is simple, stay with the current hardware , build your own,
buy from a local dealer.
Those and other options allow people to continue to use the current OS or an
OS of your choice.
If someone is forced to buy Vista or any other OS, they are ignoring or
unaware of their options of which there are many.

--

>I am confident enough to make informed decisions on which OS to choose, but
> that's the problem....there are very few people out there (relative to the
> actual amount computer users) that realize what they are getting
> themselves
> into. And yes, in a sense people are being forced to upgrade. People
> buying new computers will not have a choice on what OS they have
> installed.
> And over time Vista will become the dominant Windows OS, which will in
> turn
> result in new applications being written that won't be backwards
> compatible
> and people that need to use these applications they will be forced to
> upgrade. The bottom line is that I am getting tired of MS's practices as
> of
> late and this new OS seems to be no exception. MS has been boasting about
> it for a long time now with all these new and exciting innovations, all of
> which have been removed/postponed now, so I am just wondering what's left
> warrant a new OS release?
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 2:52:11 AM

Why are you forced to buy anything?
Keep your current configuration.
You as well as everyone else has a choice, use it.
If you but Vista or any other OS for that matter, it is because you chose to
buy it.

--

"SC" <a@bb.com> wrote in message
> As usual, MS and its sycophants will make drivers and hardware
> compatibility a problem for XP when Vista is launched, forcing all of us
> to purchase that.
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 5:37:29 AM

I just finished stating that the average computer user (ie the vast majority
of users out there) are unaware of their options. Your average user who
goes out to buy a new PC really has no choice. They are not going to want
to build their own PC and will end up buying a complete system and Windows
(Vista) will come bundled with it, even from a local dealer. And asking to
have Windows not included is useless as the price difference is so neglible
most people will decide to take it. Also, once Vista hits the shelves the
XP will become next to impossible to obtains, just as Win2k was when XP was
released.

I'm through debating this as there is no way in getting through to you
clones and your pimping of MS. And besides, all I really wanted to know is
what Vista has to offer.

> Then the answer is simple, stay with the current hardware , build your
own,
> buy from a local dealer.
> Those and other options allow people to continue to use the current OS or
an
> OS of your choice.
> If someone is forced to buy Vista or any other OS, they are ignoring or
> unaware of their options of which there are many.
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> http://www.dts-l.org
>

> "GO" <aa533@remove.this.chebucto.ns.ca> wrote in message
> >I am confident enough to make informed decisions on which OS to choose,
but
> > that's the problem....there are very few people out there (relative to
the
> > actual amount computer users) that realize what they are getting
> > themselves
> > into. And yes, in a sense people are being forced to upgrade. People
> > buying new computers will not have a choice on what OS they have
> > installed.
> > And over time Vista will become the dominant Windows OS, which will in
> > turn
> > result in new applications being written that won't be backwards
> > compatible
> > and people that need to use these applications they will be forced to
> > upgrade. The bottom line is that I am getting tired of MS's practices
as
> > of
> > late and this new OS seems to be no exception. MS has been boasting
about
> > it for a long time now with all these new and exciting innovations, all
of
> > which have been removed/postponed now, so I am just wondering what's
left
> > warrant a new OS release?

Anonymous
July 24, 2005 5:37:30 AM

If people are unaware of their options, that does not mean there is no
choice.
People need to educate themselves before investing their money.
If they choose not to, they live with the result of that choice.
But the choice is there.
Windows XP as well as other options will probably be available for several
more years.
Your denying the choice exists does not make it so.

Calling others names as you have is a sure sign you lack the ability to
discuss since you need to prop your point with an insult.
There are others capable of discussing your point without the need to
insult, leave the task to those more qualified.

--

news:o $L1SGBkFHA.3448@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>I just finished stating that the average computer user (ie the vast
>majority
> of users out there) are unaware of their options. Your average user who
> goes out to buy a new PC really has no choice. They are not going to
> want
> to build their own PC and will end up buying a complete system and Windows
> (Vista) will come bundled with it, even from a local dealer. And asking
> have Windows not included is useless as the price difference is so
> neglible
> most people will decide to take it. Also, once Vista hits the shelves the
> XP will become next to impossible to obtains, just as Win2k was when XP
> was
> released.
>
> I'm through debating this as there is no way in getting through to you
> clones and your pimping of MS. And besides, all I really wanted to know
> is
> what Vista has to offer.
July 24, 2005 5:37:30 AM

> And over time Vista will become the dominant Windows OS, which will in
> turn result in new applications being written that won't be backwards
> compatible.

Did you suffer the same within XP? If so, which are/were they?

My main complaint, is that the systems bought off the shelf or online (97%
of the time) are XP Home and the hard drive (80-200) is not partitioned.
Makes it awfully difficult to aid others bringing their systems in here to
my shop with OEM's, for many reasons.

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

> [...]
>> > into. And yes, in a sense people are being forced to upgrade. People
>> > buying new computers will not have a choice on what OS they have
>> > installed.
>> > And over time Vista will become the dominant Windows OS, which will in
>> > turn
>> > result in new applications being written that won't be backwards
>> > compatible
>> > and people that need to use these applications they will be forced to
>> > upgrade. The bottom line is that I am getting tired of MS's practices
> as
>> > of
>> > late and this new OS seems to be no exception. MS has been boasting
> about
>> > it for a long time now with all these new and exciting innovations, all
> of
>> > which have been removed/postponed now, so I am just wondering what's

Anonymous
July 24, 2005 6:11:10 AM

> Did you suffer the same within XP? If so, which are/were they?

Nothing specific as of yet. But there is one primary example just on the
horizon. IE7 will not be able run on Win2k (or lower). And from as far as
I know/understand there is absolutely no reason besides MS's decision not to
make it happen. I could understand it possibly not running on Win9x but 2k
and XP share the virtually identical code base.

news:o PcDoSBkFHA.3784@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > And over time Vista will become the dominant Windows OS, which will in
> > turn result in new applications being written that won't be backwards
> > compatible.
>
> Did you suffer the same within XP? If so, which are/were they?
>
> My main complaint, is that the systems bought off the shelf or online (97%
> of the time) are XP Home and the hard drive (80-200) is not partitioned.
> Makes it awfully difficult to aid others bringing their systems in here to
> my shop with OEM's, for many reasons.
>
> --
>
> All the Best,
> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>

> "GO" <aa533@remove.this.chebucto.ns.ca> wrote in message
> news:o $L1SGBkFHA.3448@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> >I just finished stating that the average computer user (ie the vast
> >majority
> > of users out there) are unaware of their options. Your average user who
> > goes out to buy a new PC really has no choice. They are not going to
> > want
> > to build their own PC and will end up buying a complete system and
Windows
> > (Vista) will come bundled with it, even from a local dealer. And asking
> > have Windows not included is useless as the price difference is so
> > neglible
> > most people will decide to take it. Also, once Vista hits the shelves
the
> > XP will become next to impossible to obtains, just as Win2k was when XP
> > was
> > released.
> >
> > I'm through debating this as there is no way in getting through to you
> > clones and your pimping of MS. And besides, all I really wanted to
know
> > is
> > what Vista has to offer.
> >

> > "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
> >> Then the answer is simple, stay with the current hardware , build your
> > own,
> >> buy from a local dealer.
> >> Those and other options allow people to continue to use the current OS
or
> > an
> >> OS of your choice.
> >> If someone is forced to buy Vista or any other OS, they are ignoring or
> >> unaware of their options of which there are many.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> >> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> >> http://www.dts-l.org
> >>

> >> "GO" <aa533@remove.this.chebucto.ns.ca> wrote in message
> > but
> > the
People
> > as
> > about
> > of
> > left

Anonymous
July 24, 2005 6:22:44 AM

I'm not calling anyone names, just stating how I perceive the MVPs in this
group, again....not all MVPs :)
Maybe I do lack the ability to discuss but perhaps it is because I am trying
to discuss things with people that seem programmed to only see one side of
things.

Yes, in a perfect world it would be nice for people to educate themselves
before making purchases. But is it going to happen? Not likely. And yes,
ultimately it is their fault, but we cannot change human nature, yet we all
have to suffer because of it, and MS is taking advantage of that fact. As
you said XP will most likely be available for several more years but if
someone wants it it would be at an additional price for someone that wants
it with a new computer, as the Windows that comes bundled with computers (in
this case it will be Vista) is virtually free.

news:o u68EOBkFHA.1048@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> If people are unaware of their options, that does not mean there is no
> choice.
> People need to educate themselves before investing their money.
> If they choose not to, they live with the result of that choice.
> But the choice is there.
> Windows XP as well as other options will probably be available for several
> more years.
> Your denying the choice exists does not make it so.
>
> Calling others names as you have is a sure sign you lack the ability to
> discuss since you need to prop your point with an insult.
> There are others capable of discussing your point without the need to
> insult, leave the task to those more qualified.
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> http://www.dts-l.org
>

> "GO" <aa533@remove.this.chebucto.ns.ca> wrote in message
> news:o $L1SGBkFHA.3448@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> >I just finished stating that the average computer user (ie the vast
> >majority
> > of users out there) are unaware of their options. Your average user who
> > goes out to buy a new PC really has no choice. They are not going to
> > want
> > to build their own PC and will end up buying a complete system and
Windows
> > (Vista) will come bundled with it, even from a local dealer. And asking
> > have Windows not included is useless as the price difference is so
> > neglible
> > most people will decide to take it. Also, once Vista hits the shelves
the
> > XP will become next to impossible to obtains, just as Win2k was when XP
> > was
> > released.
> >
> > I'm through debating this as there is no way in getting through to you
> > clones and your pimping of MS. And besides, all I really wanted to
know
> > is
> > what Vista has to offer.

Anonymous
July 24, 2005 6:22:45 AM

Windows 98 SE was available in stores as well as installed on new computers
up to 3 years ago, possibly more recent where I lived at the time.
Going by that alone Windows XP has at least 3 years from now and that is
easily done even for average people if they do a little research.
If they are a little more capable or do a little more research, Systems with
almost any OS will be available for the foreseeable future since most if not
all versions of Windows are still readily available.

The degree that Microsoft takes advantage could be endlessly debated. But
are the buyers talking to Microsoft and taking their buying suggestions?
More likely there is a salesperson from another company.
That person shares the blame if the buyer is not informed.
What about knowledgeable friends and family of the buyer?
Shouldn't they help those less informed?
There is blame to go to many places, to place blame at one source and ignore
others sets the buyer up for continued mistakes.

Buyers MUST become educated or risk themselves becoming proof of what PT
Barnum once said.

--

> I'm not calling anyone names, just stating how I perceive the MVPs in this
> group, again....not all MVPs :)
> Maybe I do lack the ability to discuss but perhaps it is because I am
> trying
> to discuss things with people that seem programmed to only see one side of
> things.
>
> Yes, in a perfect world it would be nice for people to educate themselves
> before making purchases. But is it going to happen? Not likely. And
> yes,
> ultimately it is their fault, but we cannot change human nature, yet we
> all
> have to suffer because of it, and MS is taking advantage of that fact.
> As
> you said XP will most likely be available for several more years but if
> someone wants it it would be at an additional price for someone that wants
> it with a new computer, as the Windows that comes bundled with computers
> (in
> this case it will be Vista) is virtually free.
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 7:50:00 AM

Hey Carey,

Did you write this using your own gray matter or did you just copy and paste somebody's work and claim to be your own? Does the word plagiarism ring a bell?

Using bleach regularly can seriously damage your brain!!!

Fat Kev!!!

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Preliminary features:
>
> Aero Glass, the higher-end user experience, will be a true superset of Aero
> and will come with higher hardware requirements. "Aero Glass will provide
> a beautiful [UI] experience with transition animations. Window frames will
> be a bit blurry and translucent, making text easier to read. Transparencies and
> animations will be hallmarks of the Aero Glass user experience, with more
> modern, high-quality visualizations than with [standard] Aero." Aero Glass
> will require a DirectX 9-compliant 3-D graphics processor with at least 64MB
> of RAM, although Microsoft will recommend 128MB to 256MB of RAM.
>
> Article
> http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1130996/posts
>
> Aero Glass experience
> http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/display/graphics-r...
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Leonard" wrote:
>
> | I hope the operating system is a lot better than the name!
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 7:50:01 AM

If you had bothered to read and comprehend, you would see that
the "copy and paste" info is referenced and credited to a supplied link.
Please grow up!

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Kevin Brunt" wrote:

| Hey Carey,
|
| Did you write this using your own gray matter or did you just copy and paste somebody's work and claim to be your own? Does the
word plagiarism ring a bell?

| Using bleach regularly can seriously damage your brain!!!
|
| Fat Kev!!!
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 1:19:19 PM

I think you're pretty armless carey.

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message news:ul%23MQo9jFHA.708@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Yes, copy and paste ideal when you have just one arm.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Curmudgeon" wrote:
>
> | Carey is the "Copy and Paste MVP'. He has no life, he has no original
> | thoughts, he just knows how to copy and paste.

July 24, 2005 3:55:08 PM

"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote
> Why are you forced to buy anything?
> Keep your current configuration.
> You as well as everyone else has a choice, use it.
> If you but Vista or any other OS for that matter, it is because you chose
> to buy it.
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> http://www.dts-l.org

I can tell you I am not going to buy it until it has been out for at least a
year.

--
Alias

> "SC" <a@bb.com> wrote in message
>> As usual, MS and its sycophants will make drivers and hardware
>> compatibility a problem for XP when Vista is launched, forcing all of us
>> to purchase that.

Anonymous
July 24, 2005 4:53:05 PM

People will get used to "Vista", just like they have got used to
"Windows"!

Adam,
http://www.vistaarticles.com
!