Windows Vista?

I hope the operating system is a lot better than the name!
74 answers Last reply
More about windows vista

    Preliminary features:

    Aero Glass, the higher-end user experience, will be a true superset of Aero
    and will come with higher hardware requirements. "Aero Glass will provide
    a beautiful [UI] experience with transition animations. Window frames will
    be a bit blurry and translucent, making text easier to read. Transparencies and
    animations will be hallmarks of the Aero Glass user experience, with more
    modern, high-quality visualizations than with [standard] Aero." Aero Glass
    will require a DirectX 9-compliant 3-D graphics processor with at least 64MB
    of RAM, although Microsoft will recommend 128MB to 256MB of RAM.

    Article

    Aero Glass experience
    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/display/graphics-reqs.mspx

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Leonard" wrote:

    | I hope the operating system is a lot better than the name!

    Wow....we've waited years all these years for a new OS only to get a new
    desktop theme? Can't wait! What's actually still going to be in
    Longhorn/Vista that warrants a new OS? I know they will be backporting some
    of the key items right into XP and some of the big improvements they've been
    promising have just been thrown on the back-burner, so what reasons are
    there for people to actually want to upgrade?

    > Preliminary features:
    >
    > Aero Glass, the higher-end user experience, will be a true superset of
    Aero
    > and will come with higher hardware requirements. "Aero Glass will provide
    > a beautiful [UI] experience with transition animations. Window frames will
    > be a bit blurry and translucent, making text easier to read.
    Transparencies and
    > animations will be hallmarks of the Aero Glass user experience, with more
    > modern, high-quality visualizations than with [standard] Aero." Aero Glass
    > will require a DirectX 9-compliant 3-D graphics processor with at least
    64MB
    > of RAM, although Microsoft will recommend 128MB to 256MB of RAM.
    >
    > Article
    > http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1130996/posts
    >
    > Aero Glass experience
    > http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/display/graphics-reqs.mspx
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    -----------------

    > "Leonard" wrote:
    >
    > | I hope the operating system is a lot better than the name!

    You cannot upgrade until its released next year.
    I'm sure the final version will be exciting with
    a host of new features.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "GO" wrote:

    | Wow....we've waited years all these years for a new OS only to get a new
    | desktop theme? Can't wait! What's actually still going to be in
    | Longhorn/Vista that warrants a new OS? I know they will be backporting some
    | of the key items right into XP and some of the big improvements they've been
    | promising have just been thrown on the back-burner, so what reasons are
    | there for people to actually want to upgrade?

    Wow! Vista, and Aero Glass too! Wow man, I don't think I can take
    all of that at once. :-(

    "GO" <aa533@remove.this.chebucto.ns.ca> wrote in message
    | Wow....we've waited years all these years for a new OS only to get a new
    | desktop theme? Can't wait! What's actually still going to be in
    | Longhorn/Vista that warrants a new OS? I know they will be backporting
    some
    | of the key items right into XP and some of the big improvements they've
    been
    | promising have just been thrown on the back-burner, so what reasons are
    | there for people to actually want to upgrade?
    |

    | "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message
    | > Preliminary features:
    | >
    | > Aero Glass, the higher-end user experience, will be a true superset of
    | Aero
    | > and will come with higher hardware requirements. "Aero Glass will
    provide
    | > a beautiful [UI] experience with transition animations. Window frames
    will
    | > be a bit blurry and translucent, making text easier to read.
    | Transparencies and
    | > animations will be hallmarks of the Aero Glass user experience, with
    more
    | > modern, high-quality visualizations than with [standard] Aero." Aero
    Glass
    | > will require a DirectX 9-compliant 3-D graphics processor with at least
    | 64MB
    | > of RAM, although Microsoft will recommend 128MB to 256MB of RAM.
    | >
    | > Article
    | > http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1130996/posts
    | >
    | > Aero Glass experience
    | > http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/display/graphics-reqs.mspx
    | >
    | > --
    | > Carey Frisch
    | > Microsoft MVP
    | > Windows XP - Shell/User
    | > Microsoft Newsgroups
    | >
    | > Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
    | > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

    | -----------------
    | >
    | > "Leonard" wrote:
    | >
    | > | I hope the operating system is a lot better than the name!

    Hi,
    Here is a link that should have more info by monday and a lot more info on
    Aug 3rd it still has longhorn info on it but it will be updated to Vista
    on monday
    www.winsupersite.com The name change was anounced today so microsoft
    hasnt linked out that munch deteals to the plubic. but save this site and
    check back monday afternoon ( thats when the site is ushualy updated, weekday
    afternoons) and the site should have more info on windows vista

    "Leonard" wrote:

    > Wow! Vista, and Aero Glass too! Wow man, I don't think I can take
    > all of that at once. :-(
    >

    > "GO" <aa533@remove.this.chebucto.ns.ca> wrote in message
    > | Wow....we've waited years all these years for a new OS only to get a new
    > | desktop theme? Can't wait! What's actually still going to be in
    > | Longhorn/Vista that warrants a new OS? I know they will be backporting
    > some
    > | of the key items right into XP and some of the big improvements they've
    > been
    > | promising have just been thrown on the back-burner, so what reasons are
    > | there for people to actually want to upgrade?
    > |

    > | "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message
    > | > Preliminary features:
    > | >
    > | > Aero Glass, the higher-end user experience, will be a true superset of
    > | Aero
    > | > and will come with higher hardware requirements. "Aero Glass will
    > provide
    > | > a beautiful [UI] experience with transition animations. Window frames
    > will
    > | > be a bit blurry and translucent, making text easier to read.
    > | Transparencies and
    > | > animations will be hallmarks of the Aero Glass user experience, with
    > more
    > | > modern, high-quality visualizations than with [standard] Aero." Aero
    > Glass
    > | > will require a DirectX 9-compliant 3-D graphics processor with at least
    > | 64MB
    > | > of RAM, although Microsoft will recommend 128MB to 256MB of RAM.
    > | >
    > | > Article
    > | > http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1130996/posts
    > | >
    > | > Aero Glass experience
    > | > http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/display/graphics-reqs.mspx
    > | >
    > | > --
    > | > Carey Frisch
    > | > Microsoft MVP
    > | > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > | > Microsoft Newsgroups
    > | >
    > | > Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
    > | > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

    > | -----------------

    hi here is the link again
    http://www.winsupersite.com/
    hope this one works

    "chrisg1990" wrote:

    > Hi,
    > Here is a link that should have more info by monday and a lot more info on
    > Aug 3rd it still has longhorn info on it but it will be updated to Vista
    > on monday
    > www.winsupersite.com The name change was anounced today so microsoft
    > hasnt linked out that munch deteals to the plubic. but save this site and
    > check back monday afternoon ( thats when the site is ushualy updated, weekday
    > afternoons) and the site should have more info on windows vista
    >
    > "Leonard" wrote:
    >
    > > Wow! Vista, and Aero Glass too! Wow man, I don't think I can take
    > > all of that at once. :-(
    > >

    > > "GO" <aa533@remove.this.chebucto.ns.ca> wrote in message
    > > | Wow....we've waited years all these years for a new OS only to get a new
    > > | desktop theme? Can't wait! What's actually still going to be in
    > > | Longhorn/Vista that warrants a new OS? I know they will be backporting
    > > some
    > > | of the key items right into XP and some of the big improvements they've
    > > been
    > > | promising have just been thrown on the back-burner, so what reasons are
    > > | there for people to actually want to upgrade?
    > > |

    > > | "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message

    > > | Aero
    > > provide
    > > will
    > > | Transparencies and
    > > more
    > > Glass
    > > | 64MB

    > > > --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > > | -----------------

    > You cannot upgrade until its released next year.

    Yes, I realize that. Especially considering it's not even in beta form yet.

    > I'm sure the final version will be exciting with
    > a host of new features.

    Like all of the exciting features offered in XP over Win2k? It about to be
    released for beta testing which means it's pretty much in it's final form
    right now, yet there's been no talk of anything exciting in it. I was being
    serious when I asked if there was going to be any compelling reason for
    people to upgrade. As near as I can tell there is none.

    > "GO" wrote:
    >
    > | Wow....we've waited years all these years for a new OS only to get a new
    > | desktop theme? Can't wait! What's actually still going to be in
    > | Longhorn/Vista that warrants a new OS? I know they will be backporting
    some
    > | of the key items right into XP and some of the big improvements they've
    been
    > | promising have just been thrown on the back-burner, so what reasons are
    > | there for people to actually want to upgrade?

    Don't expect anything new in the Vista OS.

    Marketers will attempt to make you think there is something beneficial, or
    value added, but nothing worth moving from XP.

    >> You cannot upgrade until its released next year.
    >
    > Yes, I realize that. Especially considering it's not even in beta form
    > yet.
    >
    >> I'm sure the final version will be exciting with
    >> a host of new features.
    >
    > Like all of the exciting features offered in XP over Win2k? It about to
    > be
    > released for beta testing which means it's pretty much in it's final form
    > right now, yet there's been no talk of anything exciting in it. I was
    > being
    > serious when I asked if there was going to be any compelling reason for
    > people to upgrade. As near as I can tell there is none.
    >

    >> "GO" wrote:
    >>
    >> | Wow....we've waited years all these years for a new OS only to get a
    >> new
    >> | desktop theme? Can't wait! What's actually still going to be in
    >> | Longhorn/Vista that warrants a new OS? I know they will be backporting
    > some
    >> | of the key items right into XP and some of the big improvements they've
    > been
    >> | promising have just been thrown on the back-burner, so what reasons are
    >> | there for people to actually want to upgrade?

    Hopefully the nonsense can be turned off. Better yet, we won't buy it in
    the first place.

    > Preliminary features:
    >
    > Aero Glass, the higher-end user experience, will be a true superset of
    > Aero
    > and will come with higher hardware requirements. "Aero Glass will provide
    > a beautiful [UI] experience with transition animations. Window frames will
    > be a bit blurry and translucent, making text easier to read.
    > Transparencies and
    > animations will be hallmarks of the Aero Glass user experience, with more
    > modern, high-quality visualizations than with [standard] Aero." Aero Glass
    > will require a DirectX 9-compliant 3-D graphics processor with at least
    > 64MB
    > of RAM, although Microsoft will recommend 128MB to 256MB of RAM.
    >
    > Article
    > http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1130996/posts
    >
    > Aero Glass experience
    > http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/display/graphics-reqs.mspx
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > "Leonard" wrote:
    >
    > | I hope the operating system is a lot better than the name!

    >> It about to be released for beta testing which means it's pretty much in it's final form right
    >> now

    Incorrect. Windows Vista (formerly known as Windows codename "Longhorn") is in a very preliminary
    stage and is set to enter beta on 3rd August. These is a long way to go and many new features would
    be added to Windows Vista. The expected RTM date of Windows Vista is late 2006 or even 2007.

    --

    Anando
    Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

    In memory of Alex Nichol

    Folder customizations
    http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

    Protect your PC!
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > >> It about to be released for beta testing which means it's pretty much
    in it's final form right
    > >> now
    >
    > Incorrect. Windows Vista (formerly known as Windows codename "Longhorn")
    is in a very preliminary
    > stage and is set to enter beta on 3rd August. These is a long way to go
    and many new features would
    > be added to Windows Vista. The expected RTM date of Windows Vista is late
    2006 or even 2007.

    Well, I believe you are incorrect and you don't know anything about software
    development. If MS continues to add features now it just goes to show at
    how incompetent they really are. When a product enters the beta stage that
    means it is more or less complete and it is typically issued to a target
    audience to find any remaining bugs. If they continue to add features now
    they are adding unknowns with potential bugs to what the developers consider
    a final/stable product.

    Oh, don't worry....I'm not expecting anything. But all of these lovely MVPs
    think it'll be the best thing since sliced bread, although no one can say
    why.

    "Bryce" <fukuzz---at---hotmail---dot---com> wrote in message
    > Don't expect anything new in the Vista OS.
    >
    > Marketers will attempt to make you think there is something beneficial, or
    > value added, but nothing worth moving from XP.
    >

    > "GO" <aa533@remove.this.chebucto.ns.ca> wrote in message
    > >> You cannot upgrade until its released next year.
    > >
    > > Yes, I realize that. Especially considering it's not even in beta form
    > > yet.
    > >
    > >> I'm sure the final version will be exciting with
    > >> a host of new features.
    > >
    > > Like all of the exciting features offered in XP over Win2k? It about
    > > be
    > > released for beta testing which means it's pretty much in it's final
    form
    > > right now, yet there's been no talk of anything exciting in it. I was
    > > being
    > > serious when I asked if there was going to be any compelling reason for
    > > people to upgrade. As near as I can tell there is none.

    > >> new
    > > some
    > > been

    Really?
    Can you support that statement?
    Or do you use the word "all" very loosely?

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    > Oh, don't worry....I'm not expecting anything. But all of these lovely
    > MVPs
    > think it'll be the best thing since sliced bread, although no one can say
    > why.

    Obviously not *all* mvp's as I don't know all of them. It was more of a
    general "all" but I guess targeted at the fanatical mvps in this group. But
    you missed the whole point of the reply....I just want to know what Vista is
    going to offer besides a cpu busting GUI and the introduction to draconian
    DRM (digital rights management).

    > Really?
    > Can you support that statement?
    > Or do you use the word "all" very loosely?
    >
    > --
    > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
    > http://www.dts-l.org
    >

    > "GO" <aa533@remove.this.chebucto.ns.ca> wrote in message
    > > Oh, don't worry....I'm not expecting anything. But all of these lovely
    > > MVPs
    > > think it'll be the best thing since sliced bread, although no one can
    say
    > > why.

    Please revisit this newsgroup in about a year.

    We shall all have to wait and see what all is included.
    As I understand it when a product enters Beta most is set, but there is
    still a lot of time and room for a change.
    For the most part there may be no reason for most to upgrade unless there is
    something specific needed in Vista.
    Many will just because it is new.
    Others will get Vista simply because it is time for a new computer and Vista
    will be included.
    No one will be forced to upgrade and those that do upgrade will do it
    because they will choose to.

    Ignore all propaganda both for and against Vista, make your decisions on
    your needs.

    --

    "Leonard" <lennykocksman@swplace.net> wrote in news:e#2#COwjFHA.2156
    @TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl:

    > I hope the operating system is a lot better than the name!

    Frankly, I would prefer more simplicity over "clarity" (whatever *that*
    means!) but I guess "Windows Simplista" sounds too much like an artifical
    sweetener.

    I predict mild initial excitement and then groans when we see that it's
    really just a new gloss (with new hardware requirements) on an otherwise
    overly complex, unintuitive old OS (WinXP).

    I agree. Everytime I load Win XP and read all the great things
    it says it does on the screen during setup...how great the new security
    features are (yeah, right!), etc., I have the feeling that "thou doth toot
    thy horn too mucheth". Then I spend a lot of time disabling this
    feature, and that one, getting rid of the dog, ad naseum... If Vista
    is proportionately larger than XP, as XP was to 98...whooeeee mon
    gotta have one of them new 850 GB hard drives.

    "listener" <listener@nospam.net> wrote in message
    | "Leonard" <lennykocksman@swplace.net> wrote in news:e#2#COwjFHA.2156
    | @TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl:
    |
    | > I hope the operating system is a lot better than the name!
    | >

    | Frankly, I would prefer more simplicity over "clarity" (whatever *that*
    | means!) but I guess "Windows Simplista" sounds too much like an artifical
    | sweetener.
    |
    | I predict mild initial excitement and then groans when we see that it's
    | really just a new gloss (with new hardware requirements) on an otherwise
    | overly complex, unintuitive old OS (WinXP).

    "listener" <listener@nospam.net> wrote in message
    > "Leonard" <lennykocksman@swplace.net> wrote in news:e#2#COwjFHA.2156
    > @TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl:
    >
    >> I hope the operating system is a lot better than the name!
    >>

    > Frankly, I would prefer more simplicity over "clarity" (whatever *that*
    > means!) but I guess "Windows Simplista" sounds too much like an artifical
    > sweetener.
    >
    > I predict mild initial excitement and then groans when we see that it's
    > really just a new gloss (with new hardware requirements) on an otherwise
    > overly complex, unintuitive old OS (WinXP).

    It will require rather significant hardware power, including 3-D graphics
    cards....nothing less.

    Leonard wrote:
    > I agree. Everytime I load Win XP and read all the great things
    > it says it does on the screen during setup...how great the new security
    > features are (yeah, right!), etc., I have the feeling that "thou doth toot
    > thy horn too mucheth". Then I spend a lot of time disabling this
    > feature, and that one, getting rid of the dog, ad naseum... If Vista
    > is proportionately larger than XP, as XP was to 98...whooeeee mon
    > gotta have one of them new 850 GB hard drives.
    >
    > "listener" <listener@nospam.net> wrote in message
    > | "Leonard" <lennykocksman@swplace.net> wrote in news:e#2#COwjFHA.2156
    > | @TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl:
    > |
    > | > I hope the operating system is a lot better than the name!
    > | >

    > | Frankly, I would prefer more simplicity over "clarity" (whatever *that*
    > | means!) but I guess "Windows Simplista" sounds too much like an artifical
    > | sweetener.
    > |
    > | I predict mild initial excitement and then groans when we see that it's
    > | really just a new gloss (with new hardware requirements) on an otherwise
    > | overly complex, unintuitive old OS (WinXP).

    Hey Pal

    If you're such a naysayer, don't buy it. Simple.. right? Why belly-ache
    and whine like a baby when you have no intentions of learning what the
    new system will include? Hey... there's Linux. Go download a copy of
    Linux and stop your whining. I've a feeling, though, that whining is
    your specialty. Right?
  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Plus The OS will eventuly go in to all 64 bit but when vista first comes
    out it probluly be in 32 bit and 64 bit and by 2007/08 it might go in all 64
    bit

    "Alpha" wrote:

    > "listener" <listener@nospam.net> wrote in message
    > > "Leonard" <lennykocksman@swplace.net> wrote in news:e#2#COwjFHA.2156
    > > @TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl:
    > >
    > >> I hope the operating system is a lot better than the name!
    > >>

    > > Frankly, I would prefer more simplicity over "clarity" (whatever *that*
    > > means!) but I guess "Windows Simplista" sounds too much like an artifical
    > > sweetener.
    > >
    > > I predict mild initial excitement and then groans when we see that it's
    > > really just a new gloss (with new hardware requirements) on an otherwise
    > > overly complex, unintuitive old OS (WinXP).
    >
    > It will require rather significant hardware power, including 3-D graphics
    > cards....nothing less.

  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    "Alpha" <logos1@trip.net> wrote in message

    > "listener" <listener@nospam.net> wrote in message
    >> "Leonard" <lennykocksman@swplace.net> wrote in news:e#2#COwjFHA.2156
    >> @TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl:
    >>
    >>> I hope the operating system is a lot better than the name!
    >>>

    >> Frankly, I would prefer more simplicity over "clarity" (whatever *that*
    >> means!)

    As I intimated, the UI will be very, very fancy with 3-D structure,
    apparently. I guess that creates a Vista.
  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    James
    Dont put down other peoples posts. Everyone is intitled to their opaion
    and so are you, but you need to be a little bit nicer when responding to
    others posts.

    "James" wrote:

    > Leonard wrote:
    > > I agree. Everytime I load Win XP and read all the great things
    > > it says it does on the screen during setup...how great the new security
    > > features are (yeah, right!), etc., I have the feeling that "thou doth toot
    > > thy horn too mucheth". Then I spend a lot of time disabling this
    > > feature, and that one, getting rid of the dog, ad naseum... If Vista
    > > is proportionately larger than XP, as XP was to 98...whooeeee mon
    > > gotta have one of them new 850 GB hard drives.
    > >
    > > "listener" <listener@nospam.net> wrote in message
    > > | "Leonard" <lennykocksman@swplace.net> wrote in news:e#2#COwjFHA.2156
    > > | @TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl:

    > > | Frankly, I would prefer more simplicity over "clarity" (whatever *that*
    > > | means!) but I guess "Windows Simplista" sounds too much like an artifical
    > > | sweetener.
    > > |
    > > | I predict mild initial excitement and then groans when we see that it's
    > > | really just a new gloss (with new hardware requirements) on an otherwise
    > > | overly complex, unintuitive old OS (WinXP).
    > >

    > Hey Pal
    >
    > If you're such a naysayer, don't buy it. Simple.. right? Why belly-ache
    > and whine like a baby when you have no intentions of learning what the
    > new system will include? Hey... there's Linux. Go download a copy of
    > Linux and stop your whining. I've a feeling, though, that whining is
    > your specialty. Right?

  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Oh contrare my friend. I have indeed experienced the "eXPerience"
    and have found that all the hype about being so secure, et al, actually
    came down to a system that required about a thousand patches and
    fixes to get where we are today...and where are we...waiting for
    another OS that's going to be more secure? We'll see.

    In my humble opinion, which you seem to think I should not express...
    while you blast away like yours is the only one worth venting, I think
    the creators could have and should have done a better job of building
    the product. Now you tell me not to buy it, after I've already spent
    my hard earned money...lots of help you are ol' pal. I hope BG
    doesn't stop too fast with you in that position or you'll suffocate.

    "James" <leushinonospam@gmail.com> wrote in message
    | Leonard wrote:
    | > I agree. Everytime I load Win XP and read all the great things
    | > it says it does on the screen during setup...how great the new security
    | > features are (yeah, right!), etc., I have the feeling that "thou doth
    toot
    | > thy horn too mucheth". Then I spend a lot of time disabling this
    | > feature, and that one, getting rid of the dog, ad naseum... If Vista
    | > is proportionately larger than XP, as XP was to 98...whooeeee mon
    | > gotta have one of them new 850 GB hard drives.
    | >
    | > "listener" <listener@nospam.net> wrote in message
    | > | "Leonard" <lennykocksman@swplace.net> wrote in news:e#2#COwjFHA.2156
    | > | @TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl:
    | > |

    | > |
    | > | Frankly, I would prefer more simplicity over "clarity" (whatever
    *that*
    | > | means!) but I guess "Windows Simplista" sounds too much like an
    artifical
    | > | sweetener.
    | > |
    | > | I predict mild initial excitement and then groans when we see that
    it's
    | > | really just a new gloss (with new hardware requirements) on an
    otherwise
    | > | overly complex, unintuitive old OS (WinXP).
    | >

    | Hey Pal
    |
    | If you're such a naysayer, don't buy it. Simple.. right? Why belly-ache
    | and whine like a baby when you have no intentions of learning what the
    | new system will include? Hey... there's Linux. Go download a copy of
    | Linux and stop your whining. I've a feeling, though, that whining is
    | your specialty. Right?
  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    In news:ejzWUXyjFHA.3288@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    GO <aa533@remove.this.chebucto.ns.ca> typed:

    > Oh, don't worry....I'm not expecting anything. But all of
    > these
    > lovely MVPs think it'll be the best thing since sliced bread,
    > although no one can say why.

    I'm an MVP and since I know very little about Windows Vista, I
    *don't* "think it'll be the best thing since sliced bread." I
    have no opinion, and I'll reserve judgment until I see it.

    Please reply to the newsgroup
  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    "Alpha" <logos1@trip.net> wrote in news:11e3oqnbch80v52
    @corp.supernews.com:

    > "Alpha" <logos1@trip.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "listener" <listener@nospam.net> wrote in message
    >>> "Leonard" <lennykocksman@swplace.net> wrote in news:e#2#COwjFHA.2156
    >>> @TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl:

    >>> Frankly, I would prefer more simplicity over "clarity" (whatever
    *that*
    >>> means!)
    >
    > As I intimated, the UI will be very, very fancy with 3-D structure,
    > apparently. I guess that creates a Vista.

    Yes, I understand. All the window dressing in the world can't turn a
    sow's ear into a silk purse. Is it too much to ask for an OS that is
    secure, intuitive to user needs and never crashes? After countless
    hundreds of millions of dollars of development and testing, we really
    deserve more for our money than what we have gotten. I want to believe
    differently, but the past record does not bode well for WinVista (sounds
    like an RV line).
  27. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    "GO" <aa533@remove.this.chebucto.ns.ca> wrote in message
    >> You cannot upgrade until its released next year.
    >
    > Yes, I realize that. Especially considering it's not even in beta
    > form yet.
    >
    >> I'm sure the final version will be exciting with
    >> a host of new features.
    >
    > Like all of the exciting features offered in XP over Win2k? It
    > about to be released for beta testing which means it's pretty much in
    > it's final form right now, yet there's been no talk of anything
    > exciting in it. I was being serious when I asked if there was going
    > to be any compelling reason for people to upgrade. As near as I can
    > tell there is none.

    Mainstream support for XP Home expires at the end of 2006!
  28. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    There could be "Windows Commando" for the new generation of DOS enthusiasts! The
    airports might buy that one for the control towers!

    >> I hope the operating system is a lot better than the name!
    >>

    > Frankly, I would prefer more simplicity over "clarity" (whatever
    > *that* means!) but I guess "Windows Simplista" sounds too much like
    > an artifical sweetener.
    >
    > I predict mild initial excitement and then groans when we see that
    > it's really just a new gloss (with new hardware requirements) on an
    > otherwise overly complex, unintuitive old OS (WinXP).
  29. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    "" wrote:
    > "listener" <listener@nospam.net> wrote in message
    > > "Leonard" <lennykocksman@swplace.net> wrote in news:e#2#COwjFHA.2156
    > > @TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl:
    > >
    > >> I hope the operating system is a lot better than the name!
    > >>

    > > Frankly, I would prefer more simplicity over "clarity"
    > (whatever *that*
    > > means!) but I guess "Windows Simplista" sounds too much like
    > an artifical
    > > sweetener.
    > >
    > > I predict mild initial excitement and then groans when we
    > see that it's
    > > really just a new gloss (with new hardware requirements) on
    > an otherwise
    > > overly complex, unintuitive old OS (WinXP).
    >
    > It will require rather significant hardware power, including
    > 3-D graphics
    > cards....nothing less.

    Can i point you folks back to the statement "If it works, why fix it?"
    and "If it works, why upgrade?" it will take several years befor xp
    becomes outmoded, just like windows 2000 is still in heavy use today
    in industry, as i have said befor (else where) windows 2000 in
    microsofts poit of view is now outmoded, so they probably want
    companys to upgrade to server 2003 and vista, but i dont think thats
    going to hapen any time soon.

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Windows-Vista-ftopict399365.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1319603
  30. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Kevin Brunt (Fat B@stard) wrote:
    > Hey Carey,
    >
    > Did you write this using your own gray matter or did you
    > just copy and paste somebody's work and claim to be your
    > own? Does the word plagiarism ring a bell?

    Carey is the "Copy and Paste MVP'. He has no life, he has no original
    thoughts, he just knows how to copy and paste.
  31. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    "Cymbal Man Freq." wrote

    > "GO" wrote

    >>> You cannot upgrade until its released next year.
    >>
    >> Yes, I realize that. Especially considering it's not even in beta
    >> form yet.
    >>
    >>> I'm sure the final version will be exciting with
    >>> a host of new features.
    >>
    >> Like all of the exciting features offered in XP over Win2k? It
    >> about to be released for beta testing which means it's pretty much in
    >> it's final form right now, yet there's been no talk of anything
    >> exciting in it. I was being serious when I asked if there was going
    >> to be any compelling reason for people to upgrade. As near as I can
    >> tell there is none.
    >>

    > Mainstream support for XP Home expires at the end of 2006!

    So?

    --
    Alias

  32. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Yes, copy and paste ideal when you have just one arm.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Curmudgeon" wrote:

    | Carey is the "Copy and Paste MVP'. He has no life, he has no original
    | thoughts, he just knows how to copy and paste.
  33. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    For what, Frisch? One year from not and even 2 more after that, this NG
    will still deal with Windows XP.

    > Please revisit this newsgroup in about a year.

  34. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    As usual, MS and its sycophants will make drivers and hardware compatibility
    a problem for XP when Vista is launched, forcing all of us to purchase that.

    "Leonard" <lennykocksman@swplace.net> wrote in message
    >I hope the operating system is a lot better than the name!

  35. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Well...that's not far from the truth. Especially if things like this come
    to play:
    http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000143050582/

    "SC" <a@bb.com> wrote in message
    > As usual, MS and its sycophants will make drivers and hardware
    compatibility
    > a problem for XP when Vista is launched, forcing all of us to purchase
    that.

    > "Leonard" <lennykocksman@swplace.net> wrote in message
    > >I hope the operating system is a lot better than the name!

  36. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    I am confident enough to make informed decisions on which OS to choose, but
    that's the problem....there are very few people out there (relative to the
    actual amount computer users) that realize what they are getting themselves
    into. And yes, in a sense people are being forced to upgrade. People
    buying new computers will not have a choice on what OS they have installed.
    And over time Vista will become the dominant Windows OS, which will in turn
    result in new applications being written that won't be backwards compatible
    and people that need to use these applications they will be forced to
    upgrade. The bottom line is that I am getting tired of MS's practices as of
    late and this new OS seems to be no exception. MS has been boasting about
    it for a long time now with all these new and exciting innovations, all of
    which have been removed/postponed now, so I am just wondering what's left to
    warrant a new OS release?

    > We shall all have to wait and see what all is included.
    > As I understand it when a product enters Beta most is set, but there is
    > still a lot of time and room for a change.
    > For the most part there may be no reason for most to upgrade unless there
    is
    > something specific needed in Vista.
    > Many will just because it is new.
    > Others will get Vista simply because it is time for a new computer and
    Vista
    > will be included.
    > No one will be forced to upgrade and those that do upgrade will do it
    > because they will choose to.
    >
    > Ignore all propaganda both for and against Vista, make your decisions on
    > your needs.
    >
    > --
    > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
    > http://www.dts-l.org
    >

    > "GO" <aa533@remove.this.chebucto.ns.ca> wrote in message
    > > Obviously not *all* mvp's as I don't know all of them. It was more of a
    > > general "all" but I guess targeted at the fanatical mvps in this group.
    > > But
    > > you missed the whole point of the reply....I just want to know what
    Vista
    > > is
    > > going to offer besides a cpu busting GUI and the introduction to
    draconian
    > > DRM (digital rights management).

  37. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Then the answer is simple, stay with the current hardware , build your own,
    buy from a local dealer.
    Those and other options allow people to continue to use the current OS or an
    OS of your choice.
    If someone is forced to buy Vista or any other OS, they are ignoring or
    unaware of their options of which there are many.

    --

    >I am confident enough to make informed decisions on which OS to choose, but
    > that's the problem....there are very few people out there (relative to the
    > actual amount computer users) that realize what they are getting
    > themselves
    > into. And yes, in a sense people are being forced to upgrade. People
    > buying new computers will not have a choice on what OS they have
    > installed.
    > And over time Vista will become the dominant Windows OS, which will in
    > turn
    > result in new applications being written that won't be backwards
    > compatible
    > and people that need to use these applications they will be forced to
    > upgrade. The bottom line is that I am getting tired of MS's practices as
    > of
    > late and this new OS seems to be no exception. MS has been boasting about
    > it for a long time now with all these new and exciting innovations, all of
    > which have been removed/postponed now, so I am just wondering what's left
    > warrant a new OS release?
  38. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Why are you forced to buy anything?
    Keep your current configuration.
    You as well as everyone else has a choice, use it.
    If you but Vista or any other OS for that matter, it is because you chose to
    buy it.

    --

    "SC" <a@bb.com> wrote in message
    > As usual, MS and its sycophants will make drivers and hardware
    > compatibility a problem for XP when Vista is launched, forcing all of us
    > to purchase that.
  39. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    I just finished stating that the average computer user (ie the vast majority
    of users out there) are unaware of their options. Your average user who
    goes out to buy a new PC really has no choice. They are not going to want
    to build their own PC and will end up buying a complete system and Windows
    (Vista) will come bundled with it, even from a local dealer. And asking to
    have Windows not included is useless as the price difference is so neglible
    most people will decide to take it. Also, once Vista hits the shelves the
    XP will become next to impossible to obtains, just as Win2k was when XP was
    released.

    I'm through debating this as there is no way in getting through to you
    clones and your pimping of MS. And besides, all I really wanted to know is
    what Vista has to offer.

    > Then the answer is simple, stay with the current hardware , build your
    own,
    > buy from a local dealer.
    > Those and other options allow people to continue to use the current OS or
    an
    > OS of your choice.
    > If someone is forced to buy Vista or any other OS, they are ignoring or
    > unaware of their options of which there are many.
    >
    > --
    > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
    > http://www.dts-l.org
    >

    > "GO" <aa533@remove.this.chebucto.ns.ca> wrote in message
    > >I am confident enough to make informed decisions on which OS to choose,
    but
    > > that's the problem....there are very few people out there (relative to
    the
    > > actual amount computer users) that realize what they are getting
    > > themselves
    > > into. And yes, in a sense people are being forced to upgrade. People
    > > buying new computers will not have a choice on what OS they have
    > > installed.
    > > And over time Vista will become the dominant Windows OS, which will in
    > > turn
    > > result in new applications being written that won't be backwards
    > > compatible
    > > and people that need to use these applications they will be forced to
    > > upgrade. The bottom line is that I am getting tired of MS's practices
    as
    > > of
    > > late and this new OS seems to be no exception. MS has been boasting
    about
    > > it for a long time now with all these new and exciting innovations, all
    of
    > > which have been removed/postponed now, so I am just wondering what's
    left
    > > warrant a new OS release?

  40. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    If people are unaware of their options, that does not mean there is no
    choice.
    People need to educate themselves before investing their money.
    If they choose not to, they live with the result of that choice.
    But the choice is there.
    Windows XP as well as other options will probably be available for several
    more years.
    Your denying the choice exists does not make it so.

    Calling others names as you have is a sure sign you lack the ability to
    discuss since you need to prop your point with an insult.
    There are others capable of discussing your point without the need to
    insult, leave the task to those more qualified.

    --

    >I just finished stating that the average computer user (ie the vast
    >majority
    > of users out there) are unaware of their options. Your average user who
    > goes out to buy a new PC really has no choice. They are not going to
    > want
    > to build their own PC and will end up buying a complete system and Windows
    > (Vista) will come bundled with it, even from a local dealer. And asking
    > have Windows not included is useless as the price difference is so
    > neglible
    > most people will decide to take it. Also, once Vista hits the shelves the
    > XP will become next to impossible to obtains, just as Win2k was when XP
    > was
    > released.
    >
    > I'm through debating this as there is no way in getting through to you
    > clones and your pimping of MS. And besides, all I really wanted to know
    > is
    > what Vista has to offer.
  41. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    > And over time Vista will become the dominant Windows OS, which will in
    > turn result in new applications being written that won't be backwards
    > compatible.

    Did you suffer the same within XP? If so, which are/were they?

    My main complaint, is that the systems bought off the shelf or online (97%
    of the time) are XP Home and the hard drive (80-200) is not partitioned.
    Makes it awfully difficult to aid others bringing their systems in here to
    my shop with OEM's, for many reasons.

    --

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

> [...]
    >> > into. And yes, in a sense people are being forced to upgrade. People
    >> > buying new computers will not have a choice on what OS they have
    >> > installed.
    >> > And over time Vista will become the dominant Windows OS, which will in
    >> > turn
    >> > result in new applications being written that won't be backwards
    >> > compatible
    >> > and people that need to use these applications they will be forced to
    >> > upgrade. The bottom line is that I am getting tired of MS's practices
    > as
    >> > of
    >> > late and this new OS seems to be no exception. MS has been boasting
    > about
    >> > it for a long time now with all these new and exciting innovations, all
    > of
    >> > which have been removed/postponed now, so I am just wondering what's

  42. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    > Did you suffer the same within XP? If so, which are/were they?

    Nothing specific as of yet. But there is one primary example just on the
    horizon. IE7 will not be able run on Win2k (or lower). And from as far as
    I know/understand there is absolutely no reason besides MS's decision not to
    make it happen. I could understand it possibly not running on Win9x but 2k
    and XP share the virtually identical code base.

    > > And over time Vista will become the dominant Windows OS, which will in
    > > turn result in new applications being written that won't be backwards
    > > compatible.
    >
    > Did you suffer the same within XP? If so, which are/were they?
    >
    > My main complaint, is that the systems bought off the shelf or online (97%
    > of the time) are XP Home and the hard drive (80-200) is not partitioned.
    > Makes it awfully difficult to aid others bringing their systems in here to
    > my shop with OEM's, for many reasons.
    >
    > --
    >
    > All the Best,
    > Kelly (MS-MVP)
    >
    > Troubleshooting Windows XP
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    >

    > "GO" <aa533@remove.this.chebucto.ns.ca> wrote in message
    > >I just finished stating that the average computer user (ie the vast
    > >majority
    > > of users out there) are unaware of their options. Your average user who
    > > goes out to buy a new PC really has no choice. They are not going to
    > > want
    > > to build their own PC and will end up buying a complete system and
    Windows
    > > (Vista) will come bundled with it, even from a local dealer. And asking
    > > have Windows not included is useless as the price difference is so
    > > neglible
    > > most people will decide to take it. Also, once Vista hits the shelves
    the
    > > XP will become next to impossible to obtains, just as Win2k was when XP
    > > was
    > > released.
    > >
    > > I'm through debating this as there is no way in getting through to you
    > > clones and your pimping of MS. And besides, all I really wanted to
    know
    > > is
    > > what Vista has to offer.
    > >

    > > "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
    > >> Then the answer is simple, stay with the current hardware , build your
    > > own,
    > >> buy from a local dealer.
    > >> Those and other options allow people to continue to use the current OS
    or
    > > an
    > >> OS of your choice.
    > >> If someone is forced to buy Vista or any other OS, they are ignoring or
    > >> unaware of their options of which there are many.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    > >> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
    > >> http://www.dts-l.org
    > >>

    > >> "GO" <aa533@remove.this.chebucto.ns.ca> wrote in message
    > > but
    > > the
    People
    > > as
    > > about
    > > of
    > > left

  43. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    I'm not calling anyone names, just stating how I perceive the MVPs in this
    group, again....not all MVPs :)
    Maybe I do lack the ability to discuss but perhaps it is because I am trying
    to discuss things with people that seem programmed to only see one side of
    things.

    Yes, in a perfect world it would be nice for people to educate themselves
    before making purchases. But is it going to happen? Not likely. And yes,
    ultimately it is their fault, but we cannot change human nature, yet we all
    have to suffer because of it, and MS is taking advantage of that fact. As
    you said XP will most likely be available for several more years but if
    someone wants it it would be at an additional price for someone that wants
    it with a new computer, as the Windows that comes bundled with computers (in
    this case it will be Vista) is virtually free.

    > If people are unaware of their options, that does not mean there is no
    > choice.
    > People need to educate themselves before investing their money.
    > If they choose not to, they live with the result of that choice.
    > But the choice is there.
    > Windows XP as well as other options will probably be available for several
    > more years.
    > Your denying the choice exists does not make it so.
    >
    > Calling others names as you have is a sure sign you lack the ability to
    > discuss since you need to prop your point with an insult.
    > There are others capable of discussing your point without the need to
    > insult, leave the task to those more qualified.
    >
    > --
    > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
    > http://www.dts-l.org
    >

    > "GO" <aa533@remove.this.chebucto.ns.ca> wrote in message
    > >I just finished stating that the average computer user (ie the vast
    > >majority
    > > of users out there) are unaware of their options. Your average user who
    > > goes out to buy a new PC really has no choice. They are not going to
    > > want
    > > to build their own PC and will end up buying a complete system and
    Windows
    > > (Vista) will come bundled with it, even from a local dealer. And asking
    > > have Windows not included is useless as the price difference is so
    > > neglible
    > > most people will decide to take it. Also, once Vista hits the shelves
    the
    > > XP will become next to impossible to obtains, just as Win2k was when XP
    > > was
    > > released.
    > >
    > > I'm through debating this as there is no way in getting through to you
    > > clones and your pimping of MS. And besides, all I really wanted to
    know
    > > is
    > > what Vista has to offer.

  44. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Windows 98 SE was available in stores as well as installed on new computers
    up to 3 years ago, possibly more recent where I lived at the time.
    Going by that alone Windows XP has at least 3 years from now and that is
    easily done even for average people if they do a little research.
    If they are a little more capable or do a little more research, Systems with
    almost any OS will be available for the foreseeable future since most if not
    all versions of Windows are still readily available.

    The degree that Microsoft takes advantage could be endlessly debated. But
    are the buyers talking to Microsoft and taking their buying suggestions?
    More likely there is a salesperson from another company.
    That person shares the blame if the buyer is not informed.
    What about knowledgeable friends and family of the buyer?
    Shouldn't they help those less informed?
    There is blame to go to many places, to place blame at one source and ignore
    others sets the buyer up for continued mistakes.

    Buyers MUST become educated or risk themselves becoming proof of what PT
    Barnum once said.

    --

    > I'm not calling anyone names, just stating how I perceive the MVPs in this
    > group, again....not all MVPs :)
    > Maybe I do lack the ability to discuss but perhaps it is because I am
    > trying
    > to discuss things with people that seem programmed to only see one side of
    > things.
    >
    > Yes, in a perfect world it would be nice for people to educate themselves
    > before making purchases. But is it going to happen? Not likely. And
    > yes,
    > ultimately it is their fault, but we cannot change human nature, yet we
    > all
    > have to suffer because of it, and MS is taking advantage of that fact.
    > As
    > you said XP will most likely be available for several more years but if
    > someone wants it it would be at an additional price for someone that wants
    > it with a new computer, as the Windows that comes bundled with computers
    > (in
    > this case it will be Vista) is virtually free.
  45. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Hey Carey,

    Did you write this using your own gray matter or did you just copy and paste somebody's work and claim to be your own? Does the word plagiarism ring a bell?

    Using bleach regularly can seriously damage your brain!!!

    Fat Kev!!!

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > Preliminary features:
    >
    > Aero Glass, the higher-end user experience, will be a true superset of Aero
    > and will come with higher hardware requirements. "Aero Glass will provide
    > a beautiful [UI] experience with transition animations. Window frames will
    > be a bit blurry and translucent, making text easier to read. Transparencies and
    > animations will be hallmarks of the Aero Glass user experience, with more
    > modern, high-quality visualizations than with [standard] Aero." Aero Glass
    > will require a DirectX 9-compliant 3-D graphics processor with at least 64MB
    > of RAM, although Microsoft will recommend 128MB to 256MB of RAM.
    >
    > Article
    > http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1130996/posts
    >
    > Aero Glass experience
    > http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/display/graphics-reqs.mspx
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > "Leonard" wrote:
    >
    > | I hope the operating system is a lot better than the name!
  46. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    If you had bothered to read and comprehend, you would see that
    the "copy and paste" info is referenced and credited to a supplied link.
    Please grow up!

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Kevin Brunt" wrote:

    | Hey Carey,
    |
    | Did you write this using your own gray matter or did you just copy and paste somebody's work and claim to be your own? Does the
    word plagiarism ring a bell?

    | Using bleach regularly can seriously damage your brain!!!
    |
    | Fat Kev!!!
  47. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    I think you're pretty armless carey.

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message news:ul%23MQo9jFHA.708@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    > Yes, copy and paste ideal when you have just one arm.
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > "Curmudgeon" wrote:
    >
    > | Carey is the "Copy and Paste MVP'. He has no life, he has no original
    > | thoughts, he just knows how to copy and paste.

  48. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote
    > Why are you forced to buy anything?
    > Keep your current configuration.
    > You as well as everyone else has a choice, use it.
    > If you but Vista or any other OS for that matter, it is because you chose
    > to buy it.
    >
    > --
    > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
    > http://www.dts-l.org

    I can tell you I am not going to buy it until it has been out for at least a
    year.

    --
    Alias

    > "SC" <a@bb.com> wrote in message
    >> As usual, MS and its sycophants will make drivers and hardware
    >> compatibility a problem for XP when Vista is launched, forcing all of us
    >> to purchase that.

  49. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    People will get used to "Vista", just like they have got used to
    "Windows"!

    Adam,
    http://www.vistaarticles.com

Windows Vista Microsoft Windows XP Product