Can't hear right channel

Loomy

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2005
Hi all!
I've got a problem with my sound card and/or speakers. I have an nForce 3 250Gb motherboard with integrated sound, and it seems that only the left channel is "active", the strange thing is that all speakers in my 2.1-system plays the left channel, while the right channel is simply gone.

I've tried connecting the speakers to all five minijacks, but without any improvements. I've also done the speaker wizard-thingie in NvMixer (came with the audio drivers), that confirms the fact that any sound going through the right channel ends up nowhere.

Anyone have any good ideas on how to make this work properly?

Relevant specs:
Abit NF8 (nForce3 250Gb) mobo
Altec Lansing ATP3 speakers
Windows XP SP2
Nvidia Audio Driver v4.57

umheint0

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
There might be some advanced mixing settings. Make sure the fader is set to the middle (if there is one), and make sure everything is setup for stereo sound, not mono. That's as good a place to start as any, without being familiar with the NvMixer.

umheint0's phat setup --> <A HREF="http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~umheint0/system.html" target="_new">http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~umheint0/system.html</A><--

marshahu

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2003
Have you tried connecting another set of headphones to the sound card to see whether its the soundcard or a faulty set of speakers?

PC Spec: AMD Athlon XP 2000+, ECS K7S5A Motherboard, 768MB SDRAM PC133, Sparkle nVidia Riva TNT2 M64 32MB AGP Graphics Card, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 6.1, Windows XP

RichPLS

Champion
I think you have just lost hearing in right ear!

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

Loomy

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2005
Aha! That explains it :p
No seriously, it turned out to be only a bad connection on one of the plugs. Looks like the speakers automaticly compensates by putting left-sound in both speakers..

marshahu

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2003
LOL - what the hell is a Q-Tip? Do excuse my ignorance for I am an Englishman who is unaware of your american terms. I have heard homer use the term in a Simpson episode but I have never understood what it is!

Anyway, as I thought, it was a simple case of a shoddy connection - glad you solved it :) Next time, get a set of Creative speakers! :p

PC Spec: AMD Athlon XP 2000+, ECS K7S5A Motherboard, 768MB SDRAM PC133, Sparkle nVidia Riva TNT2 M64 32MB AGP Graphics Card, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 6.1, Windows XP

RichPLS

Champion
LOL a Q-Tip is for cleaning out your ears. It is is cardboard or plastic stick with both ends having a small cotton ball on them.

So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

RichPLS

Champion
Do Englishmen not use them? Ehh, what you say?

marshahu

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2003
Oh yer we use cotton buds lol!

RichPLS

Champion
LOL, Q-Tip is the leading brand manufacturer, so the name is synonomous with Q-Tip.