Sign in with
Your question

Is this Alienware Aurora good for gaming?

Last response: in Computer Brands
February 1, 2010 1:09:30 AM

Hello every one again. I've decided to purchase a Alienware Aurora for gaming and I wanted know if this configeration is good. The price seems good. I don't have time to build my own, because since this recession I've been working 60-70 hours overtime a week. I really need a good computer for networking because I'm self-employed as a internet/telephone psychic at: www.keen.com/clairvoyant+christopher and www.psychicpowernetwork.com I also want to future proof the computer so that I don't have to worry about upgrading for at least 5 years. And of course I want to use this computer for gaming.

The computer will have 850 watts overclocked i7920 and the price is $2,279.

Here are the specs:o PERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English edit
CHASSIS COLOR Lunar Shadow, Alienware Aurora Chassis edit
PROCESSOR Overclocked Intel® Core™ i7 920 (3.2GHz, 8MB Cache) edit
WARRANTY AND SERVICE 1 Year Basic Service Plan edit

Dell Recommends
Keep your investment protected for as long as you'll own it with a 3 year Basic Service Plan
Upgrade to 3 Year Basic Service Plan [add $249 or $7/month1]
In-Home Service after Remote Diagnosis: for issues covered by Limited Hardware Warranty, technician and/or part will be dispatched, if necessary, usually in 1 or 2 business days following Remote Diagnosis. During Remote Diagnosis, you may be asked to access the inside of your system (where safe to do so) or to participate in troubleshooting until a cause can be isolated.
VIDEO CARD Single 2GB GDDR5 ATI Radeon™ HD 5970 edit
MEMORY 9GB Triple Channel 1333Mhz DDR3 edit
MONITOR No Monitor edit
HARD DRIVE 750GB - SATA-II, 3Gb/s, 7,200RPM, 16MB Cache HDD edit
MOUSE Alienware Optical Mouse, MG100 edit
KEYBOARD Alienware Multi-Media Keyboard edit
OPTICAL DRIVE Single Drive: 24X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability edit
My Accessories
AUTOMATIC UPDATES Automatic Updates: Enabled edit
My Software & Accessories
ALIENFX AlienFX Color, Mars Red edit
WALLPAPER Alienhead Chrome Red edit
PRE-INSTALLED GAMES AND CLIENTS Steam and Portal™ Factory Installed edit
ALSO INCLUDED WITH YOUR SYSTEM
Alienware Aurora Alienware Aurora Desktop
COOLING OPTION Alienware™ High-Performance Liquid Cooling
Adobe Software Adobe Acrobat Reader

Please let me know what you think about this computer, but please don't tell me to build my own, because like I said earlier I don't have the time to do it and I can afford to pay $2,279. Thank you.
February 2, 2010 1:12:45 PM

That should run anything you want it to run.

What do I think about that computer?

I think for $2,279 they should be bundling an x25 ssd w\ the computer, at least. A 750gb sata drive is a $50 hard drive basically... In such a high end system, it shouldn't have a cheap hard drive too. It's like, they go all out for most components, but then just say " oh well " w\ the hard drive.

m
l
February 2, 2010 1:25:13 PM

itadakimasu said:
That should run anything you want it to run.

What do I think about that computer?

I think for $2,279 they should be bundling an x25 ssd w\ the computer, at least. A 750gb sata drive is a $50 hard drive basically... In such a high end system, it shouldn't have a cheap hard drive too. It's like, they go all out for most components, but then just say " oh well " w\ the hard drive.

Is a Raid hard drive better in speed than a 750BG sata drive?
m
l
Related resources
February 2, 2010 8:30:40 PM

you talking about a single hard drive like a raid edition, or having 2 or more drives in raid?

I just think they should have a dedicated boot drive of some sort to fit w\ the other high end components. Either a velociraptor or an SSD.
m
l
February 14, 2010 1:17:59 PM

clairvoyant christopher said:
Hello every one again. I've decided to purchase a Alienware Aurora for gaming and I wanted know if this configeration is good. The price seems good. I don't have time to build my own, because since this recession I've been working 60-70 hours overtime a week. I really need a good computer for networking because I'm self-employed as a internet/telephone psychic at: www.keen.com/clairvoyant+christopher and www.psychicpowernetwork.com I also want to future proof the computer so that I don't have to worry about upgrading for at least 5 years. And of course I want to use this computer for gaming.

The computer will have 850 watts overclocked i7920 and the price is $2,279.

Here are the specs:o PERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English edit
CHASSIS COLOR Lunar Shadow, Alienware Aurora Chassis edit
PROCESSOR Overclocked Intel® Core™ i7 920 (3.2GHz, 8MB Cache) edit
WARRANTY AND SERVICE 1 Year Basic Service Plan edit

Dell Recommends
Keep your investment protected for as long as you'll own it with a 3 year Basic Service Plan
Upgrade to 3 Year Basic Service Plan [add $249 or $7/month1]
In-Home Service after Remote Diagnosis: for issues covered by Limited Hardware Warranty, technician and/or part will be dispatched, if necessary, usually in 1 or 2 business days following Remote Diagnosis. During Remote Diagnosis, you may be asked to access the inside of your system (where safe to do so) or to participate in troubleshooting until a cause can be isolated.
VIDEO CARD Single 2GB GDDR5 ATI Radeon™ HD 5970 edit
MEMORY 9GB Triple Channel 1333Mhz DDR3 edit
MONITOR No Monitor edit
HARD DRIVE 750GB - SATA-II, 3Gb/s, 7,200RPM, 16MB Cache HDD edit
MOUSE Alienware Optical Mouse, MG100 edit
KEYBOARD Alienware Multi-Media Keyboard edit
OPTICAL DRIVE Single Drive: 24X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability edit
My Accessories
AUTOMATIC UPDATES Automatic Updates: Enabled edit
My Software & Accessories
ALIENFX AlienFX Color, Mars Red edit
WALLPAPER Alienhead Chrome Red edit
PRE-INSTALLED GAMES AND CLIENTS Steam and Portal™ Factory Installed edit
ALSO INCLUDED WITH YOUR SYSTEM
Alienware Aurora Alienware Aurora Desktop
COOLING OPTION Alienware™ High-Performance Liquid Cooling
Adobe Software Adobe Acrobat Reader

Please let me know what you think about this computer, but please don't tell me to build my own, because like I said earlier I don't have the time to do it and I can afford to pay $2,279. Thank you.

i just bought an Aurora with the 875 psu, twin 5870's, raid 0 256 SSD's, liquid cooling 12 G 1333 RAM.
great machine, but expensive ($4500 beacuse the raid SSD;s were 1600 dollars.)

it sounds like you should buy one of there packaged deals, maybe do a little better.
m
l
February 18, 2010 12:50:24 PM

I think it should be able to run any game on the market, but i would change the ati 5970 to a dual 5870, you would get better performance because the 5970 is not worth it unless you play at a very high 1200x1900 resolution. I know it would cost more but you will save money ($80) because you can spec the lower watt PSU or if thats too expsesive a single 5870. last i thing you should go for a 1tb raid 0 HDD setup
m
l
!