Sign in with
Your question

Corsair TwinX1024-3200XLPro

Tags:
  • Memory
  • Corsair
Last response: in Memory
April 25, 2005 6:48:29 PM

Careful reading of the ICs showed the modules to be manufactured by Samsung, with K4H560838F-TCCD codes. What's suprising is that this is 4ns (DDR500) memory with default latency parameters of 3-4-4-8. Corsair's used a custom PCB to tweak the timings for ultra-low latencies at DDR400 speeds. It's not just a case of, as many see it, using faster memory at lower latencies. Try running general DDR500 memory at 2-2-2-5 (DDR400). The overwhelming number of modules will simply fail to boot. Aggressive latency tweaking, however, can also result in ICs not hitting their default specification, which is PC4000 here.
<A HREF="http://www.hexus.net/content/reviews/review_print.php?d..." target="_new"> Text above came from this Review </A>

So from what I understood this article, that Corsair XL Pro memory this memory is 4ns DDR-500 at 3-4-4-8, and not all DDR 500 memory will run at DDR-3200 with 2-2-2-5 timings.
So TwinX1024-3200XLPro would be more versitile with it's range of speeds better than DDR-500 would.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

More about : corsair twinx1024 3200xlpro

April 25, 2005 8:03:49 PM

Interesting article.

You've picked up on a finer point here, that even the PCB design can play a small role in performance.

There are literally dozens upon dozens of different PCB boards for DDR-400. It's rare for an article to go into detail about the PCB.

I've noticed two general specifications in PCB design.

One is the PCB board layers. The industry standard for DDR-266 and DDR-333 is 4 layer boards. For DDR-400 both 4-layer and 6-layer PCB boards are widely used. 6-layer boards of course are better as they provide more room for grounding wires.

All original major DDR-400 modules use 6-layer boards, whereas most value ram or OEM brand use 4-layer PCBs, because it's cheaper. This is only one reason why I always recommend major original brands; they have better compatibility. ...something to think about.

Secondly, many PCB designs have different profiles and network layouts. Some PCB boards use an embedded-resistor network, while others use non-embedded component networks. You can bet that some companies are very picky about the PCB layout design; you'd win that bet.

I cannot comment further on the PCB design in terms of performance.

<font color=green>*****
"Memory with lifetime warranty? So, whose lifetime is that?"
<A HREF="http://www.brentcrowley.com/" target="_new">homepage</A>
<font color=red>AIM BrentUnitedMem
April 25, 2005 10:57:09 PM

Most consider Brainpower to be #1 in PCB design.

Most manufacturers can get TCCD chips and build then to custom PCB boards. Which may not be a good thing.

It's best to buy original modules from reputable sources.

<font color=green>*****
"Memory with lifetime warranty? So, whose lifetime is that?"
<A HREF="http://www.brentcrowley.com/" target="_new">homepage</A>
<font color=red>AIM BrentUnitedMem
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
April 26, 2005 1:39:50 AM

Corsair's Twin XL series is pretty damn good. Are they using Brainpower PCB?

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>
a b } Memory
April 26, 2005 6:29:56 AM

Nothing new there, I've been saying the same stuff about Corsair XMS and Crucial Ballistix for how long? My Corsair XMS PC4000 Pro won't run lower timings at PC3200 speed, but my Crucial Ballistix PC4000 will run 2-2-2-5 at PC3200, 2-2-2-8 at PC3500, 2-3-2-8 at PC3700, and 2.5-3-3-8 at PC4000 speeds. That means it compares to the best Samsung RAM.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
a b } Memory
April 27, 2005 5:42:27 AM

Ah, but you've done more TESTING than me.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
!