Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have been unable to stop the Windows logon screen from appearing, I have
checked my settings, they have it disabled, yet I still get the Welcome
screen and have to click my user name to logon to Windows. Is there some kind
of other way I can disable this, a registry edit or any thing? It didn't used
to be this way and I have no idea why it changed. This started after
installing XP SP2. I checked and did have to change the setting to stop the
Welcome screen, but it doesn't work. My system used to boot with no need for
clicking or logging on.

In news:5C0F8E64-4AC9-4E76-BED2-C8FB8004F7D8@microsoft.com,
Tom <Tom@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> I have been unable to stop the Windows logon screen from
> appearing, I
> have checked my settings, they have it disabled, yet I still
> get the
> Welcome screen and have to click my user name to logon to
> Windows. Is
> there some kind of other way I can disable this, a registry
> edit or
> any thing? It didn't used to be this way and I have no idea why
> it
> changed. This started after installing XP SP2. I checked and
> did have
> to change the setting to stop the Welcome screen, but it
> doesn't
> work. My system used to boot with no need for clicking or
> logging on.

Start | Run, type "control userpasswords2" Select the account you
want to logon to automatically. Then uncheck the box "Users must
enter a user name and password to use this computer."

Or do the same thing with TweakUI.

Please reply to the newsgroup

anopther even better method is to download TweakUI....in the start up options
they have an setting for the welcome screen to automatically log you on to
your account.......

In news:7040ED60-297B-42A4-B69B-09CDAF9C99E8@microsoft.com,
Master Jedi <MasterJedi@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> anopther even better method is to download TweakUI....i

Did you read my message that you quoted? I said that.

Please reply to the newsgroup

> n the start up
> options they have an setting for the welcome screen to
> automatically
> log you on to your account.......
>
> "Ken Blake" wrote:
>
>> In news:5C0F8E64-4AC9-4E76-BED2-C8FB8004F7D8@microsoft.com,
>> Tom <Tom@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
>>
>>> I have been unable to stop the Windows logon screen from
>>> appearing, I
>>> have checked my settings, they have it disabled, yet I still
>>> get the
>>> Welcome screen and have to click my user name to logon to
>>> Windows. Is
>>> there some kind of other way I can disable this, a registry
>>> edit or
>>> any thing? It didn't used to be this way and I have no idea
>>> why
>>> it
>>> changed. This started after installing XP SP2. I checked and
>>> did have
>>> to change the setting to stop the Welcome screen, but it
>>> doesn't
>>> work. My system used to boot with no need for clicking or
>>> logging on.
>>

>> Start | Run, type "control userpasswords2" Select the account
>> you
>> want to logon to automatically. Then uncheck the box "Users
>> must
>> enter a user name and password to use this computer."
>>
>> Or do the same thing with TweakUI.
>>

>> --
>> Please reply to the newsgroup

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Not only did the first suggestion you made not work, it made it impossible to
get to Windows. It would not log on at all, it would come to the Windows
startup screen and just sit there. I just spent 2 hours fixing the thing. I
would rather stay with my Welcome screen for now, until I eventually
reinstall Windows and redo my whole system again soon. Thanks for the ideas
though.

"Ken Blake" wrote:

> In news:5C0F8E64-4AC9-4E76-BED2-C8FB8004F7D8@microsoft.com,
> Tom <Tom@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
>
> > I have been unable to stop the Windows logon screen from
> > appearing, I
> > have checked my settings, they have it disabled, yet I still
> > get the
> > Welcome screen and have to click my user name to logon to
> > Windows. Is
> > there some kind of other way I can disable this, a registry
> > edit or
> > any thing? It didn't used to be this way and I have no idea why
> > it
> > changed. This started after installing XP SP2. I checked and
> > did have
> > to change the setting to stop the Welcome screen, but it
> > doesn't
> > work. My system used to boot with no need for clicking or
> > logging on.
>

> Start | Run, type "control userpasswords2" Select the account you
> want to logon to automatically. Then uncheck the box "Users must
> enter a user name and password to use this computer."
>
> Or do the same thing with TweakUI.

> Please reply to the newsgroup

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I did get TweakUI, it works fine now. Thank you for the info.

In news:F19F4998-B218-49EB-9AC9-B6F252304980@microsoft.com,
Tom <Tom@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> I did get TweakUI, it works fine now. Thank you for the info.

Glad to hear it, and you're welcome.