Help ASAP - will this work?

dannyaa

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2001
I have the ABIT AI7 mobo, which has four 184-pin DIMM sockets. Currently I am using 2, running dual channel 2x512mb Corsair XMS-PRO DDR Pc3200 RAM.

I saw on outpost.com that they have an amazing deal... maybe they accidently mismarked price or something... cause I checked model numbers and its the right one...

2x512mb Kit Kingston HyperX Pc3200 DDR RAM

http://shop2.outpost.com/product/3746176?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

for $119.99, w/$20 mail in rebate, for $99.99!! I checked pricewatch and can't find this same RAM for less than $180.00! The rebate expires 4/26/05 so I'm going to order tonight if this will work...

Can I pair this RAM with Corsair XMS-PRO ram for a total of 2GB and fill up all four of my DIMM slots? Will it downclock my memory from DDR400 to DDR333?

Will it be compatible? Do they need to be the same CL/CAS specs, or same brand? I don't see that info on the website, and I would need to dig up my old Corsair memory box or find info to see the exact specs on my RAM again if so...

Anyway plz help, gotta do this tonight for that rebate...

P4c 3.2Ghz @ 800MHz Northwood / ABIT AI7 / 1GB Corsair XMS-Pro CL2 Pc3200 / 160GB Seagate SATA 7200rpm 8mb cache / BFG-Tech Nvidia GeForce 6800GT 256mb / Antec Sonata case w/Antec TruePower 380W PSU

BrentUnitedMem

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
For compatibility reasons, it is ideal to match memory in pairs, but it is not necessary.

Adding the extra 1GB will lower your system's performance as 1GB is optimal under WINXP.

If you run 4 modules together, your motherboard chipset will run them all at the same speed; at the speed of the slowest module.

Ususually, 4 ddr-400 modules together will run at DDR-333 speed.

What are you using your computer for that would require 2GB?

<font color=green>*****
"Memory with lifetime warranty? So, whose lifetime is that?"
<A HREF="http://www.brentcrowley.com/" target="_new">homepage</A>
<font color=red>AIM BrentUnitedMem

dannyaa

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2001
Well the memory would be matched in pairs, but one pair would be Corsair XMS-PRO, and the other Kingston HyperX.

So would you recommend this or not? When you say slower in XP... what do you mean? like 1% or?

I do a lot of video editing, encoding, etc. I use AVID and After Effects.

Why will 4 DDR400's run at DDR333 if it lowers it to the speed of the slowest module, when the slowest module is DDR400?

P4c 3.2Ghz @ 800MHz Northwood / ABIT AI7 / 1GB Corsair XMS-Pro CL2 Pc3200 / 160GB Seagate SATA 7200rpm 8mb cache / BFG-Tech Nvidia GeForce 6800GT 256mb / Antec Sonata case w/Antec TruePower 380W PSU

BrentUnitedMem

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
ah.. magic word "AVID"

You'll be okay with 2GB.

=)

<font color=green>*****

BrentUnitedMem

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
You chipset will follow the latency of the slowest module, and then clock everything down to DDR-333 for stability issues associated with the mobo chipset.

Because 2 DIMMS is more stable than 4 DIMMS in most cases, your mobo chipset will need to relax the timings to account for the trouble caused by using so many modules.

Just like it is harder to juggle more balls at once, the same is true for your computer system in handling the memory modules.

<font color=green>*****

When I was talking about the the downclock to 333Mhz in the other thread i was referring specifically to the A64 CPUs with the Winchester core. From AMD: there are inherent limitations on the memory controller that cause AMD to recommed 333Mhz FSB when using more than 4 ranks of memory (read the recent ranks and organization thread for more details). I don't know if it applies to the memory controller for your system, but Brent (The Man) says that type of downclock is a good general rule. Easiest way to verify is to get the memory and see if your system downclocks the FSB when you install the modules.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
I think that same deal is running at Newegg and ZipZoomFly

Intel P4 550(3.4)<font color=red>Benchmarked 5Ghz</font color=red>
X800XL 474/609 <font color=red>#5 in 3DMark05 #3 in PCMark04
3DMark05-<font color=red>5965</font color=red>
3DMark03-<font color=red>13496</font color=red>
PCMark04-<font color=red>6170</font color=red>

dannyaa

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2001
hmm... link? I checked, I don't think this deal is running ANYWHERE else... I think this has to be an error. And I guess its a $25 mail in rebate. That's $95 for 1GB of Kingston HyperX RAM (2x512mb) - the quality stuff... at a valueselect price, or the cost of one hyperX 512mb stick.

It's CL2 and the timings are CAS 2-3-2-6-1 - not sure what that means.. but is it good or what?

Anyway I think I'm gonna buy that tonight, any more comments/info on that before I do?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'd do it for video editing. Your board should run all 4 stable at PC3200 speed, you might need to kick it up to PC3200 speed manually (it might drop down automatically), and you might need to raise vDIMM slightly for stability at that speed.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>