Taking a degree in IT engineering remotely with a US university?

deeplodokus

Honorable
Apr 1, 2012
Hi, I'm 27, I'm from Europe, I've worked as a data center technician for about a year.

I graduated from university with completely different majors than IT (social sciences, 2 BA degrees and 1 Master's). I want to take a degree in IT engineering (likely in software engineering, maybe in networks), I'd prefer to take it with an American university that offers online courses. It has to be online because I'd continue with my current job at the same time.

I've been told about these: MIT (could be tough I guess!), Georgia tech/gatech, Colorado tech/CTU, California tech/caltech. Are these good? Do you have any other to recommend?
Do you think that since I work in IT and can prove that I've got some skills already, would I have to do the full curriculum (4 years I guess?) or could I get skill equivalences and graduate in less time?

Any advice is much appreciated! Thanks a lot!

kellywilliams0448

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012
In as much as you have gotten some IT experience, I think that will pave your road into getting an admission in any of the require school. But the fact is, since you do not take any of the IT courses at your undergraduate level, I am afraid, you may have to do the entire 4 years program to get a solid background on IT. More still, the above mentioned schools are real good and the fact that English is your native language, I think your admission is guaranteed. Go for it while working, it's a good investment.

deeplodokus

Honorable
Apr 1, 2012
Thanks for your reply.

and the fact that English is your native language, I think your admission is guaranteed

It's not :) I'm French (it's not my fault :D)

I'll give a call to some of the schools in the coming days to try and talk to someone who could give me more practical info. Thanks for the encouraging words!