New version of BBNW Software Firmware

Cs

Just ran the updated "msbndownload.exe" for my MN 700 and MN 720 in order to
update firmware and drivers. According to the notes, a driver update for
the MN 720 was to be included with this update.
(mn720-50.sys version 3.60.7.0) However, it appears it was not included.

The update log clearly notes the presence of the MN 720 but the new driver
is no where to be found. The firmware for the base station was updated OK
along with the runtime software.

I wonder if the drivers could be included on the CD update software? I
downloaded both. Anyone know what's going on?

Thanks.

Try updating your drivers manually.

Point it toward the install directory of your MS BNU software (there are a
bunch of inf files there, one of which corresponds to the MN720).

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Find out about the MS MVP Program -

"CS" <CS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Just ran the updated "msbndownload.exe" for my MN 700 and MN 720 in order
> update firmware and drivers. According to the notes, a driver update for
> the MN 720 was to be included with this update.
> (mn720-50.sys version 3.60.7.0) However, it appears it was not
included.

> The update log clearly notes the presence of the MN 720 but the new driver
> is no where to be found. The firmware for the base station was updated OK
> along with the runtime software.
>
> I wonder if the drivers could be included on the CD update software? I
> downloaded both. Anyone know what's going on?
>
> Thanks.

Cs

As far as I can determine, there are no *.inf files in the folder that is
created by the
"msbndownload.exe" file when run. The only named files I see there are
*.bin. The bin files are for
various hardware: MN 100, MN 700, MN 500, MN 740, etc. There is nothing
that corresponds to
the MN 720. If there were any *.inf files, I could open them with notepad
and see which one was
for the MN 720. Again, no *.inf files included with the download that I
could see.

The logfile (created after the update) shows that the MN 720 was detected
along with the
MN 700. It also indicates that updates (runtime and firmware) were applied
for the MN 700.
Nothing was done with respect to the MN 720. The readme.htm file clearly
shows an updated
driver available for the MN 720 but it sure looks like they forgot to
include it. Unless of course
I'm doing something wrong running the update.

I also ran the updated CD software to see if the drivers were by chance
included there. They were not.

Has anyone else noticed this or is it just me?

Thanks.

"Jason Tsang" <jason-onlineDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in message
> Try updating your drivers manually.
>
> Point it toward the install directory of your MS BNU software (there are a
> bunch of inf files there, one of which corresponds to the MN720).
>
> --
> Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP
>
> Find out about the MS MVP Program -
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx
>
> "CS" <CS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Just ran the updated "msbndownload.exe" for my MN 700 and MN 720 in
order
> > update firmware and drivers. According to the notes, a driver update
for
> > the MN 720 was to be included with this update.
> > (mn720-50.sys version 3.60.7.0) However, it appears it was not
> included.
> >
> > The update log clearly notes the presence of the MN 720 but the new
driver
> > is no where to be found. The firmware for the base station was updated
OK
> > along with the runtime software.
> >
> > I wonder if the drivers could be included on the CD update software? I
> > downloaded both. Anyone know what's going on?
> >
> > Thanks.

You are correct. The drivers are in the MSI file and when the Broadband
Networking software is updated, it updates all the drivers. You can use
Help-->About from the Broadband Network Utility to see the version number of
all the drivers that are in use.

--
Neel Malik
Program Manager

CS wrote:
> As far as I can determine, there are no *.inf files in the folder
> that is created by the
> "msbndownload.exe" file when run. The only named files I see there
> are *.bin. The bin files are for
> various hardware: MN 100, MN 700, MN 500, MN 740, etc. There is
> nothing that corresponds to
> the MN 720. If there were any *.inf files, I could open them with
> notepad and see which one was
> for the MN 720. Again, no *.inf files included with the download
> that I could see

When I got through with the update, there were .cat and .inf files in the
\Program Files\Microsoft Broadband Networking directory for the
MN 110, 120, 130, 710, and 720. There were driver files for
the same devices in the drivers directory under the main one.
The 720 files are dated 6/17/2004, 6/25/2004, and 6/17/2004.
When I got through with the install, the MN-720 driver page in the device
manager said 3.60.70(close enough, I think).

I think you have a bad install. You might try uninstalling and reinstalling.
Then again, if the card still works...

Dick Kistler

Cs

OK. Thanks to everyone who responded. Problem resolved. Since I had never
installed the
MS Broadband Networking Software on either my desktop or notebook (both
running XP Home)
the folder containing the MSBN software was not available. The executable
update apparently needs
that folder to apply all updates.

After installing the MSBN software on the notebook, the MN 720 driver was
updated to the latest
version. That's the GOOD news; the BAD news is that the new driver degraded
my signal from very
good\excellent to poor. Consequently I rolled back the driver to the
previous version in order to restore
the signal quality.

Should that have occurred with the updated driver? Did I need to go back
into the base
station configuration and re-do everything? I really don't understand why
a newer driver
would degrade the signal?

Thanks.

"Neel Malik [MSFT]" <neelm@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> You are correct. The drivers are in the MSI file and when the Broadband
> Networking software is updated, it updates all the drivers. You can use
> Help-->About from the Broadband Network Utility to see the version number
of
> all the drivers that are in use.
>

> --
> Neel Malik
> Program Manager
> Microsoft Corporation

rights.

> "CS" <CS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > As far as I can determine, there are no *.inf files in the folder that
is
> > created by the
> > "msbndownload.exe" file when run. The only named files I see there are
> > *.bin. The bin files are for
> > various hardware: MN 100, MN 700, MN 500, MN 740, etc. There is
nothing
> > that corresponds to
> > the MN 720. If there were any *.inf files, I could open them with
notepad
> > and see which one was
> > for the MN 720. Again, no *.inf files included with the download that I
> > could see.
> >
> > The logfile (created after the update) shows that the MN 720 was
detected
> > along with the
> > MN 700. It also indicates that updates (runtime and firmware) were
> applied
> > for the MN 700.
> > Nothing was done with respect to the MN 720. The readme.htm file
clearly
> > shows an updated
> > driver available for the MN 720 but it sure looks like they forgot to
> > include it. Unless of course
> > I'm doing something wrong running the update.
> >
> > I also ran the updated CD software to see if the drivers were by chance
> > included there. They were not.
> >
> > Has anyone else noticed this or is it just me?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > "Jason Tsang" <jason-onlineDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in message
> > > Try updating your drivers manually.
> > >
> > > Point it toward the install directory of your MS BNU software (there
are
> > > bunch of inf files there, one of which corresponds to the MN720).
> > >
> > > --
> > > Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP
> > >
> > > Find out about the MS MVP Program -
> > > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx
> > >
> > > "CS" <CS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > order
> > for
> > > included.

> > driver
> updated
> > OK

The drivers are only updated if the software is installed.

The new driver should not have any effect on the signal strength. Please try
using the newer driver again and see if the problem occurs and that there
are no changes in the environment that might be responsible for the change.

--
Neel Malik
Program Manager

> [...]
> > > for the MN 720. Again, no *.inf files included with the download that
> > > could see.
> > >
> > > The logfile (created after the update) shows that the MN 720 was
> detected
> > > along with the
> > > MN 700. It also indicates that updates (runtime and firmware) were
> > applied
> > > for the MN 700.
> > > Nothing was done with respect to the MN 720. The readme.htm file
> clearly
> > > shows an updated
> > > driver available for the MN 720 but it sure looks like they forgot to
> > > include it. Unless of course
> > > I'm doing something wrong running the update.
> > >
> > > I also ran the updated CD software to see if the drivers were by
chance
> > > included there. They were not.
> > >
> > > Has anyone else noticed this or is it just me?

Cs

Hi:

Tried the new driver twice with the same result. Signal degrades from very
good\excellent to poor. There have been
no environment changes whatsoever made to the notebook PC (Toshiba
Satellite), nor have I moved it to a different location.

Base station and desktop PC also - no changes. However, as soon as the
driver is updated the signal degrades to where
it is unusable. Roll back the driver, and the signal returns to very good
and excellent.

Any ideas appreciated. Thanks.