Zire 21 Internet

October 1, 2004 12:11:03 PM

Can a Zire 21 connect to the Internet via its IrDA port? If
so, are there certain brands or models of GSM mobile phone
that work best with Palms? GPRS would be best, but I would
be interested in people's circuit-switched data experiences
too. Do I need to buy third-party hardware to make this
happen?

- Andy.

More about : zire internet

Anonymous
October 1, 2004 12:41:35 PM

"Andy Ball" <null@not.valid> wrote in message

> Can a Zire 21 connect to the Internet via its IrDA port? If
> so, are there certain brands or models of GSM mobile phone
> that work best with Palms? GPRS would be best, but I would
> be interested in people's circuit-switched data experiences
> too.

Yes, any PalmOS device with IrDA (as far as I know, all of them that run OS
3.5 or later) can connect to mobile phones. I use both a Handspring Visor
Platinum and a Sony Clie PEG-TJ37 with my Nokia 6590i (850/1900 MHz GSM/GPRS
phone) with good results. Any recent phone that supports IrDA and GPRS will
be fine. Circuit-switched data, if your carrier supports it still, will
work well too but the throughput rate will be slower. I get about 25-30kbps
with GPRS with my provider (Rogers Wireless), but the new EDGE data
transmission technology can provide rates up to 200kbps. I don't think any
US or European providers have EDGE yet, though.

The only problem phone I know about is the Motorola P280. It will not work
with a PalmOS machine via IrDA. It has buggy infrared code. It will work
via a serial cable, but not all PDAs allow this (e.g. Handspring Visors).

Jim
Anonymous
October 1, 2004 7:47:00 PM

Hello Jim,

JM> Yes, any PalmOS device with IrDA (as far as I know,
> all of them that run OS 3.5 or later) can connect to
> mobile phones. I use both a Handspring Visor Platinum
> and a Sony Clie PEG-TJ37 with my Nokia 6590i (850/1900
> MHz GSM/GPRS phone) with good results. Any recent
> phone that supports IrDA and GPRS will be fine.

That's good to hear. I would like a tri-band 6310i, but I
will have to see whether my provider will let me use that.
Perhaps if I go for one of their cheap/free phones and just
physically move the SIM to an unlocked 6310i it may "just
work".

JM> Circuit-switched data, if your carrier supports it
> still, will work well too but the throughput rate will
> be slower. I get about 25-30kbps with GPRS with my
> provider (Rogers Wireless), but the new EDGE data
> transmission technology can provide rates up to
> 200kbps. I don't think any US or European providers
> have EDGE yet, though.

I'm sure there are some applications where CSD is more
appropriate, so I hope that providers don't phase it out
just because GPRS exists. I've heard U.S. providers talking
about EDGE (but that's not necessarily the same thing as
rolling it out. ;-) You mention data rates "up to" 200 kbits
/second. Do you happen to know the native rate? (I'm
guessing that figure included compression, which is only
good for certain types of data). This is just out of
interest, I imagine 9,600 would be plenty for a Zire 21 :-)

JM> The only problem phone I know about is the Motorola
> P280. It will not work with a PalmOS machine via
> IrDA. It has buggy infrared code. It will work via a
> serial cable, but not all PDAs allow this (e.g.
> Handspring Visors).

I tend to avoid Motorola where possible, but it's good to be
aware of specific models to stear clear of too. I think it's
a shame that the Zire 21 doesn't have an ordinary serial
port, but I suppose it's one of the things sacrificed to
keep the cost down.

Thanks,
- Andy.
October 1, 2004 7:47:01 PM

> That's good to hear. I would like a tri-band 6310i, but I
> will have to see whether my provider will let me use that.
> Perhaps if I go for one of their cheap/free phones and just
> physically move the SIM to an unlocked 6310i it may "just
> work".

It should work fine. Bear in mind that unlocked phones don't automatically
allow you GPRS/CSD access. Unlocking a phone to accept a foreign SIM
doesn't automatically unlock the menus permitting you to reconfigure data
access. In fact, it seldom does. If the phone was unlocked from the
beginning (never locked ever), you should have full menus.

Where will you be using the phone? If you're in North America and using a
provider that has 850 MHz spectrum (i.e. Cingular/AT&T), you might prefer a
quad-band phone. Tri-band phones usually include 900, 1800 and 1900 MHz
bands but not 850. I use my Nokia in North America and keep my Motorola
P280 for overseas.

> I'm sure there are some applications where CSD is more
> appropriate, so I hope that providers don't phase it out
> just because GPRS exists. I've heard U.S. providers talking
> about EDGE (but that's not necessarily the same thing as
> rolling it out. ;-) You mention data rates "up to" 200 kbits
> /second. Do you happen to know the native rate?

I'm not sure. I know 200kbps is about the maximum. I know people who have
gotten in the high 180kbps range with Rogers in the Toronto area. I don't
have an EDGE device with which to test the network. In motion, you'll tend
to get 80 to 100kbps. That's still better than the 26kbps I get when I'm in
a fixed location with GPRS.

Jim
Anonymous
October 3, 2004 6:35:24 AM

Hello Jim,

JM> Where will you be using the phone? If you're in North
> America and using a provider that has 850 MHz spectrum
> (i.e. Cingular/AT&T), you might prefer a quad-band
> phone. Tri-band phones usually include 900, 1800 and
> 1900 MHz bands but not 850. I use my Nokia in North
> America and keep my Motorola P280 for overseas.

I'll mostly be using it in the U.S, with occasional visits
to Britain. Sounds like a quad-band phone is in order,
thanks for the tip.

JM> In motion, you'll tend to get 80 to 100kbps.

That's better than I get at home with an analog POTS modem.
:-)

- Andy Ball
Anonymous
October 4, 2004 12:59:47 PM

> JM> In motion, you'll tend to get 80 to 100kbps.
>
> That's better than I get at home with an analog POTS modem.
> :-)

:)  True - but that's only with EDGE. EDGE phones are rare, and not many
providers have EDGE data access. Rogers in Canada is the only one I know of
that has implemented it fully.

Jim
!