Dell dimension 2400 internal hard drive

greg649

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
I have a Dell Dimension 2400 which I recently added 1gb of ram which now gives me a total of 1 .25gb. This was a noticeable difference in speed and thus performance. Would adding another 1gb of ram make a big difference ?(I realize that the max ram for my computer is 2gb and that I would have to replace the .25gb with the 1gb.)
Also I was thinking about changing the 40gb HDD to something larger without addinjg anything to support it (if possible) but I don't know the limits of my computer . I don't even know if it's worthwhile as I am not a power user. I still have about 27gb of the 40gb free. Any comments are appreciated.

Open the task manager and click on the performance tab. Keep an eye on the memory useage as you do your routine tasks. If you are getting into the %80 - %100 area, then adding the memory will help. If not, it's not worth it.

If you're looking to replace the 40GB drive with a new one, that wouldn't be a problem. If you've got SATA ports on the motherboard, you could really upgrade there (I'm assuming the 40GB hard drive is IDE).