Bad Media or Bad DVD writer???

sparks219

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
I have a Benq 1610 from Christmas, and I bought a 200 pack Benq DVD+R at the same time. I start to notice most of the DVDs I write have cycle redundancy errors. I wrote another DVD with my laptop's DVD writer and it was a coaster as well.

So I'm suspecious that my media is faulty. Is there a way to identify the problem for sure???

THanks

Ming

I want to

sobelizard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002
Does your burning software have data consistency checker?

<b><i>Powered by <font color=blue>V</font color=blue><font color=purple>E</font color=purple><font color=red>R</font color=red><font color=purple>T</font color=purple><font color=blue>O</font color=blue></b>
Fueled by <b><font color=blue>CL-</font color=blue><font color=red>ONE</font color=red></b>

sparks219

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
I use Nero 6, and never used data verification feature before I noticed the coasters.

Tried 2 discs today and the data verification caught many errors. I'm trying to burn with Verbtaim DVD+Rs instead of Benq DVD+R. SO if these discs are ok, I think I might bought a lot of defective DVDs...

_WW_

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
Wow...not a good idea to buy 200 disks before you get a chance to test 'em out by getting a five pack or something....Maybe they will let you return them, except Christmas was a long time ago......

....WW (5.1)

sparks219

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
I'm not too concerned...Paid $27 CAD for 200 discs with Futureshop's Employee discount. Regular price was $159 or $179 CAD.

I'll just go back and ask my manager to warranty the discs for me :D

It was very annoying because my MP3 DVD backups all did not work :mad: and my HD lost a parition when I merged them in Parition Magic....

The Verbtaim worked perfectly and I'm going to trying with a Sony now....If both of these discs burn perfectly, then I think I can safely say the Benqs are defective media...

Ming

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
There's lots of junk DVD media on the market. In fact, the market is flooded with it.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I only have a few Taiyo Yuden disks I got a while back. I've heard the problems with several products, but I'm going to assume that if you get brand name media, it's probably decent. Taiyo Yuden is great, BTW, and used to make media for other brands too.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
Verbatim has been good for me and it burns at 8X like it advertises. I've heard that some media says it is 8X but only gives you 4X. BTW I bought them at Sam's

sobelizard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002
For DVD media, I use both Philips, Maxell, and Fuji. My personal favorite is Philips as it's batting 100%.

<b><i>Powered by <font color=blue>V</font color=blue><font color=purple>E</font color=purple><font color=red>R</font color=red><font color=purple>T</font color=purple><font color=blue>O</font color=blue></b>
Fueled by <b><font color=blue>CL-</font color=blue><font color=red>ONE</font color=red></b>