How Much Longer?

Dear: Any one in this News Group.
How much longer can we People who have X.P. Home Edition, expected to
get support for this O.S. from Microsoft,? now that a new O.S. is coming out.
Every time & new O.S. come out you have to go out, & buy all new hardware to
support the newer faster O.S. Could be a problem for some people.
--
Omega2
4 answers Last reply

    "Omega2" <Omega2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Dear: Any one in this News Group.
    > How much longer can we People who have X.P. Home Edition, expected
    > get support for this O.S. from Microsoft,? now that a new O.S. is coming
    > out.
    > Every time & new O.S. come out you have to go out, & buy all new hardware
    > support the newer faster O.S. Could be a problem for some people.

    I think I read December 2008 somewhere (don't quote me on that). They
    certainly don't just drop support because they ship a new product.

    Windows Vista will probably run on today's average systems, if it does
    require more it'll probably be RAM which is pretty easy to upgrade - I've
    heard 512MB being chucked around a bit. But it's all speculation at the
    moment.

    --
    Paul Smith,
    Yeovil, UK.

    *Remove 'nospam.' to reply by e-mail*

    Paul Smith wrote:

    > "Omega2" <Omega2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Dear: Any one in this News Group.
    >> How much longer can we People who have X.P. Home Edition,
    >> expected
    >> get support for this O.S. from Microsoft,? now that a new O.S. is
    >> coming out.
    >> Every time & new O.S. come out you have to go out, & buy all new
    >> hardware to
    >> support the newer faster O.S. Could be a problem for some people.
    >
    > I think I read December 2008 somewhere (don't quote me on that). They
    > certainly don't just drop support because they ship a new product.
    >
    > Windows Vista will probably run on today's average systems, if it does
    > require more it'll probably be RAM which is pretty easy to upgrade -
    > I've
    > heard 512MB being chucked around a bit. But it's all speculation at
    > the moment.

    MS Product Life Cycles:
    http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/lifecycle/default.mspx

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers

    Omega2 <Omega2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Dear: Any one in this News Group.
    > How much longer can we People who have X.P. Home Edition, expected to
    >get support for this O.S. from Microsoft,? now that a new O.S. is coming out.
    >Every time & new O.S. come out you have to go out, & buy all new hardware to
    >support the newer faster O.S. Could be a problem for some people.

    Given that Windows XP Home and Windows XP Pro are both compiled from
    the same source code base it would be difficult for Microsoft to
    produce a fix for XP Pro that was not also usable for XP Home *unless*
    that fix was for one of the features and functions that are unique to
    XP Pro and which are not found in XP Pro.

    Difficult but not impossible. Still I suspect that support for XP
    Home will not really be dropped until they also drop the support for
    XP Pro.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifewin

    For regular consumers....

    Footnote #14: Mainstream support will end 2 years after the next version of this
    product is launched. (For Windows XP Pro)

    For both Win XP Home and Pro: Mainstream support ends December 31, 2006 (but Win
    XP Pro gets Footnote #14)

    http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifesupsps

    For Windows XP Home/Pro SP2:
    Support ends either 12 months after the next service pack releases or at the end
    of the product's support lifecycle, whichever comes first. Visit the Lifecycle
    page to find the support timelines for your particular product.

Support Microsoft Windows XP