How Much Longer?

omega2

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2005

Dear: Any one in this News Group.
How much longer can we People who have X.P. Home Edition, expected to
get support for this O.S. from Microsoft,? now that a new O.S. is coming out.
Every time & new O.S. come out you have to go out, & buy all new hardware to
support the newer faster O.S. Could be a problem for some people.
--
Omega2

"Omega2" <Omega2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Dear: Any one in this News Group.
> How much longer can we People who have X.P. Home Edition, expected
> get support for this O.S. from Microsoft,? now that a new O.S. is coming
> out.
> Every time & new O.S. come out you have to go out, & buy all new hardware
> support the newer faster O.S. Could be a problem for some people.

I think I read December 2008 somewhere (don't quote me on that). They
certainly don't just drop support because they ship a new product.

Windows Vista will probably run on today's average systems, if it does
require more it'll probably be RAM which is pretty easy to upgrade - I've
heard 512MB being chucked around a bit. But it's all speculation at the
moment.

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.

*Remove 'nospam.' to reply by e-mail*

Malke

Paul Smith wrote:

> "Omega2" <Omega2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Dear: Any one in this News Group.
>> How much longer can we People who have X.P. Home Edition,
>> expected
>> get support for this O.S. from Microsoft,? now that a new O.S. is
>> coming out.
>> Every time & new O.S. come out you have to go out, & buy all new
>> hardware to
>> support the newer faster O.S. Could be a problem for some people.
>
> I think I read December 2008 somewhere (don't quote me on that). They
> certainly don't just drop support because they ship a new product.
>
> Windows Vista will probably run on today's average systems, if it does
> require more it'll probably be RAM which is pretty easy to upgrade -
> I've
> heard 512MB being chucked around a bit. But it's all speculation at
> the moment.

MS Product Life Cycles:
http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/lifecycle/default.mspx

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

Omega2 <Omega2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Dear: Any one in this News Group.
> How much longer can we People who have X.P. Home Edition, expected to
>get support for this O.S. from Microsoft,? now that a new O.S. is coming out.
>Every time & new O.S. come out you have to go out, & buy all new hardware to
>support the newer faster O.S. Could be a problem for some people.

Given that Windows XP Home and Windows XP Pro are both compiled from
the same source code base it would be difficult for Microsoft to
produce a fix for XP Pro that was not also usable for XP Home *unless*
that fix was for one of the features and functions that are unique to
XP Pro and which are not found in XP Pro.

Difficult but not impossible. Still I suspect that support for XP
Home will not really be dropped until they also drop the support for
XP Pro.

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifewin

For regular consumers....

Footnote #14: Mainstream support will end 2 years after the next version of this
product is launched. (For Windows XP Pro)

For both Win XP Home and Pro: Mainstream support ends December 31, 2006 (but Win
XP Pro gets Footnote #14)

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifesupsps

For Windows XP Home/Pro SP2:
Support ends either 12 months after the next service pack releases or at the end
of the product's support lifecycle, whichever comes first. Visit the Lifecycle
page to find the support timelines for your particular product.