Sign in with
Your question

BSOD once every day?

Tags:
  • Blue Screen
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
September 27, 2012 3:26:20 AM

Hello, I've been experiencing this very frustrating problem.
When I turn on my PC, a few minutes (can be up to 30 minutes) my PC either freezes or freezes for a few seconds then BSoD comes up for around 5 seconds, then my PC restarts.

This only happens ONCE a day, and it's only the first time I start my PC every day.

Any solutions?

thanks.

More about : bsod day

September 27, 2012 3:35:22 AM

It depends what kind of BSOD we're looking at. What is the stop code on it?
m
l
September 27, 2012 3:56:32 AM

I'll try see when I get BSOD again. The BSOD screen only appears for a few seconds, then automatically shuts down.
Where does this "code" appear?
m
l
Related resources
September 27, 2012 12:51:47 PM

or copy paste log from event viewer with all data. First check temperatures of PC as most common issue with blue screen
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 27, 2012 1:39:23 PM

Do what durhamf mentioned above to keep the PC from automatically restarting. Then note the error code/message that pops up when the system BSOD's. From that, we can help determine the cause.

You can also use bluescreenview, which should show the recent BSOD crashes.
m
l
September 28, 2012 3:29:13 AM

durhamf said:
from PCsupport.about.com:

Click on the Start button and then on Control Panel.

Click on the System and Security link.

Note: If you're viewing the Small icons or Large icons view of Control Panel, you won't see this link. Simply double-click on the System icon and proceed to Step 4.

Click on the System link.

In the task pane on the left, click the Advanced system settings link.

Locate the Startup and Recovery section near the bottom of the window and click on the Settings button.

In the Startup and Recovery window, locate and uncheck the check box next to Automatically restart.

Click OK in the Startup and Recovery window.

Now I wonder what would happen only once a day (or seemingly once per day)? Anti-virus update, system restore, clock sync.....

Ok, thanks. Now I'll wait for me to get BSOD. I seem to get bsod when I play games, or have too many tabs opened, but still only happens once a day. It's weird.

EDIT: Something else just happened. I was playing a Steam game, then my PC just randomly shut down and restarted. It didn't freeze, and bsod didn''t happen.

EDIT 2: Just got BSOD while playing Borderlands 2. I took a picture of the BSOD. http://imgur.com/91m2O
m
l
September 28, 2012 5:45:58 AM

durhamf said:
How long has this been going on?

I've seen this time again with faulty RAM. Perhaps you replaced it, or were inside your computer and a static shock touched the memory. Think back to anything significant that could have happened to your computer around the time these blue screens started.

I also suspect that the once a day symptom is not relevant, only a seeming coincidence. When RAM is faulty, all it takes is one address or bit to be bad and when something accesses it, it will make your computer cry like a baby and shut down. Since virtually everything accesses your RAM, anything could cause the shut down, even when you computer is idle.

DO THIS:
1. Get a blank CD
2. Go to Memtest86 http://www.memtest86.com/download.html#R40a
3. Download Ver 4.0a - Windows (zip) ISO image for creating bootable CD
4. Burn an image CD with this ISO file.
If you don't know how, a super quick and easy thing to do is go here: http://www.softsea.com/download/Free-ISO-Burner.html Wait a few seconds and download the program 802kb, and it's ready to use, no installing.
5. Run the tests, and let us know what happens.

This has been going on for about 2-3 weeks. I did not touch anything on my computer, because I was scared something like this will happen. And it did.

I'll that method soon.
thanks
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 28, 2012 12:03:04 PM

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL is typically caused by either a driver related problem, or bad RAM. Based on your description of the crashes, I'd bet RAM...

That being said, that wouldn't cause the entire PC to instantly reboot for no reason, so the PSU could be at fault as well.

In the short term, run memtest86.
m
l
September 28, 2012 10:11:58 PM

Can I use DAEMON Tools instead of burning it into a disk?

EDIT: Nvm, do I insert disk, burn disk, restart pc, then boot from CD?
m
l
October 5, 2012 5:18:22 AM

durhamf said:
Okay:
1. Insert new CD
2. burn CD
3. keep CD in disk drive and restart
4. Don't press anything, Memtest should automatically boot itself. In case it doesn't, reset again and press any button or whatever the screen says to boot from CD.
5. Follow the instructions on the Memtest screen. It's been a while, but they''re straight forward. If you have trouble let us know.

Let us know the results!

Sorry for the long reply;
I tried doing the Memtest, burning the iso file using many different applications, and also different CDs.
What would happen when I boot from CD, it would just be a black screen. And it would stay there for a long time. Then it'll start the computer normally. Nothing would happen.
Yesterday, I cleaned my computer, and today, I haven't got BSoD.
m
l
October 5, 2012 7:59:52 AM

durhamf said:
As long as it's working. But I would feel better knowing what happened.
How did you clean it? Reinstallation of windows?

As for memtest, did you burn the file as an Image, specifically as an Image? Maybe it's something in BIOS, but at this point I would open a new thread about memtest, if you have the patience and desire.

Cleaning, as in I opened up the case, and brushed out the dust and that.
As for memtest, yes I did burn the file as an Image.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 5, 2012 12:27:13 PM

Interesting...

Worst case, you can run the windows memory verifier. I don't have a high opinion of it, but if you can't get memtest to work...
m
l
!