SATA INSTALL PROB ALSO!!

wizoforb

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2005
I'm a noob when it comes to sata. I have XP PRO SP2. I'm trying to just install XP on a single RAPTOR. All I get is a blure screen error. I have a via chipset. I've tried with F6, and without. Will a RTC clear, and start fresh help. It hasn't worked from the get go. Even when I found out you sometimes need a third party program driver for Windows to see the sata drive. The only luck I've got was the system seen it only on RAID CHANNEL 0. When it's on a regualr sata channel it doesn't see it at all. I have the option in the bios to set the RAID function to ide master or something. (it says to do this If your using a single drive). I'm really lost, and would like to know what I'm doing wrong, or if theres a problem with my system. I have latest bios drivers. The HD works for sure. I have formatted it. Ummm.....I used sandra to check for some stuff, and it shows that the drivers are their. So I assume when I boot the system from the INSTALL CD, and having only the SATA drive hooked up it would see it, but it doesn't. When is starts to say (WINDOWS IS NOW STARTING) it cuts to a blue screen. What's the deal!!??

ASUS A8V DELUXE K8T800 PRO
AMD ATHLON 64 +3200 (939)
(2)1 GB CORSAIR RAM PC3200 400 MHZ
BFG 6800 GEFORCE ULTRA OC (AGP)
(2) WD 74GB RAPTORS (SATA)
(1) WD 120GB (IDE)

pat

Expert
1-Do you know what BIOS is, how to get in and the purpose of it?

2- Do you have some knowledge about you board , like what kind of controller it has and what connector is connected to what controller?

3- Did you read your manual, to see where the connector that come from the chipset controller are and those, if available, coming from the third party controller are?

4- Do you know the difference between native controller and onboard controller?

I still cannot believe that SATA is so complicated... This is only an interface between the drive and the controller!!! A SATA drive is the same IDE drive as the ATA one.. except the INTERFACE is serial!

So, go in BIOS, make sure that the chipset SATA is enabled, disable RAID for chipset controller, disable any third party controller, be it Promise or VIA that you wont use.

Set your boot device to CDROM,HDD, FLOPPY.

Put the windows CD in, start the install and that all you need to do. No drivers if native and non RAID. Drivers if RAID and native, drivers if onboard and SATA, drivers if onboard and RAID.

If you still cannot figure it, then bring that machine to a shop and have them do it for you.

<font color=red>Sig space for rent. make your offer.</font color=red>

pat

Expert
I just downloaded the manual. From what I can see, there is 2 controller for SATA. The first one is the VIA one. Then there is the Promise one.

In page 2-24, it show you the connector for sata1 and sata2. Use sata1

At page 4-24, you have a BIOS screen. Onchip SATAboot rom should be enabled and onboard Promise should be disabled. you dont need it

Plug just one RAPTOR for now and start the installation. Windows should detect the HDD. If not, then this controller is not well emulated and need drivers. The VIA drivers. NOT the promise one. Reboot, start the install, press F6 and then use the floppy with the VIA drivers on it when asked. Load all that apply.

Then it should work.

<font color=red>Sig space for rent. make your offer.</font color=red>

wizoforb

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2005
Thanks for the tip. I've messed with computers since 89', but when I tried using sata I've been having probs. I've tried setting up exactly the way your talking, both ways, and nothing. I'll try again as soon as I get a chance.

ASUS A8V DELUXE K8T800 PRO
AMD ATHLON 64 +3200 (939)
(2)1 GB CORSAIR RAM PC3200 400 MHZ
BFG 6800 GEFORCE ULTRA OC (AGP)
(2) WD 74GB RAPTORS (SATA)
(1) WD 120GB (IDE)