All programs stopped working in XP SP2 after receiving Mca..

I have Windows XP SP2 on a Sony Viao laptop. I have Mcafee running and
received updates to the software (not dat updates). After rebooting I
received warnings about a PUP (Potentially unwanted progam). I chose not to
allow it to run. Immediately after that all my programs stopped working. If
I click on Start, Program....I have nothing in the list. If I click on the
executeable for anything, such as Word, I get an error saying that Windows
cannot open this file.

I'm thinking I may need to reinstall the OS. The problem is that I cannot
back up my personal files because even a simple copy program does not work.

Any thoughts on how what happened or how to resolve?
11 answers Last reply
More about programs stopped working receiving

    LB2210 wrote:

    > I have Windows XP SP2 on a Sony Viao laptop. I have Mcafee running
    > and
    > received updates to the software (not dat updates). After rebooting I
    > received warnings about a PUP (Potentially unwanted progam). I chose
    > not to
    > allow it to run. Immediately after that all my programs stopped
    > working. If
    > I click on Start, Program....I have nothing in the list. If I click
    > on the executeable for anything, such as Word, I get an error saying
    > that Windows cannot open this file.
    >
    > I'm thinking I may need to reinstall the OS. The problem is that I
    > cannot back up my personal files because even a simple copy program
    > does not work.
    >
    > Any thoughts on how what happened or how to resolve?

    If your McAfee .dat files were not updated, that means that your
    antivirus was not current. From your description, it sounds like your
    computer was infected with something. I can't be more specific with the
    little information you provided.

    It is possible to retrieve data from a computer from outside of Windows.
    I would suggest using Knoppix since it would not be a good idea to deal
    with a badly infected hard drive from within Windows. Here is
    information on Knoppix:

    Knoppix is a Linux distro on a live cd. You will need a computer with
    two cd drives, one of which is a cd/dvd-rw OR a usb thumb drive with
    enough capacity to hold your data. To get Knoppix, you need a computer
    with a fast Internet connection and third-party burning software.
    Download the Knoppix .iso from www.knoppix.net and create your bootable
    cd. Then boot with it and it will be able to see the Windows files. If
    you are using the usb thumb drive, right-click on its icon (on the
    Desktop) to get its properties and uncheck the box that says "Read
    Only". Then click on it to open it. Note that the default mouse action
    in the window manager used by Knoppix (KDE) is a single click to open
    instead of the traditional MS Windows' double-click. Otherwise, use the
    K3b burning program to burn the files to cd/dvd-r's.

    You can try cleaning up your computer instead of doing a clean install.
    Run Doug Knox's .exe file fix:

    and then following the malware removal steps here:

    You should start your scanning with TrendMicro's Sysclean. There are
    instructions for that at the same website.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers

    I had the same problems with many programs who would either not start or,
    crash the computer. As soon as I removed Service Pack II and restored the
    system back to Service Pack I, everything works the way it was designed. I
    really think that Service Pack II is a malicious virus.

    Have you tried last known good configuration or running system restore from
    safe mode?
    "LB2210" <LB2210@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have Windows XP SP2 on a Sony Viao laptop. I have Mcafee running and
    > received updates to the software (not dat updates). After rebooting I
    > received warnings about a PUP (Potentially unwanted progam). I chose not
    > allow it to run. Immediately after that all my programs stopped working.
    > If
    > I click on Start, Program....I have nothing in the list. If I click on
    > the
    > executeable for anything, such as Word, I get an error saying that Windows
    > cannot open this file.
    >
    > I'm thinking I may need to reinstall the OS. The problem is that I cannot
    > back up my personal files because even a simple copy program does not
    > work.
    >
    > Any thoughts on how what happened or how to resolve?

    You need to go to the "Managed Quarantined Files" list in Mcafee and restore
    the PUP.

    http://www.pcbutts1.com/shanebeatson.jpg

    http://website.lineone.net/~shanebeatson/images/Bonnie_3.jpg

    --
    http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=pcbutthead

    "pcbutts1" <pcbutts1@seedsv.com> wrote in message
    > http://www.pcbutts1.com/shanebeatson.jpg

    > "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >>

    >> --
    >> http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLG,GGLG:2005-22,GGLG:en&q=pcbutthead

    Your child looks like it's standing on broken car glass. Your wife deserves a medal; for delivering that one.

    "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message news:ON88kETkFHA.1416@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    > http://website.lineone.net/~shanebeatson/images/Bonnie_3.jpg
    >
    > --
    > http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=pcbutthead
    >

    > "pcbutts1" <pcbutts1@seedsv.com> wrote in message
    >> http://www.pcbutts1.com/shanebeatson.jpg
    >>
    >> --

    >> "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >>>

    >>> --
    >>> http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLG,GGLG:2005-22,GGLG:en&q=pcbutthead

    Can't help thinking you have them back-to-front, David. But she probably
    still deserves a medal.

    I guess you could say that day was a typical English midsummer; glorious
    sunshine, then pissing down, then glorious sunshine again. Not too long
    after that was taken we had floods and the town (Crediton) was cut off from
    Exeter with all the rivers going over the roads (and the railway line washed
    away). I rode the bike through one and got a bow wave up to my armpits, but
    momentum got me through it. I had aquatic plant hanging off the handlebars.
    I wonder what the guys at the computer store thought when I came in sodden
    and stinking of river.

    --

    "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    Your child looks like it's standing on broken car glass. Your wife deserves
    a medal; for delivering that one.

    "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > http://website.lineone.net/~shanebeatson/images/Bonnie_3.jpg
    >
    > --
    > http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=pcbutthead
    >

    > "pcbutts1" <pcbutts1@seedsv.com> wrote in message
    >> http://www.pcbutts1.com/shanebeatson.jpg
    >>
    >> --

    >> "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >>>

    >>> --
    >>> http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLG,GGLG:2005-22,GGLG:en&q=pcbutthead

    I was just expecting to see a pic of a kid called Bonnie so you could prove your offspring look normal (and by implication her father).

    See what ass/u/me ing does.

    But I should have realised no english person would name a child after the northern heathens.
    "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message news:ew11x$TkFHA.2904@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    > Can't help thinking you have them back-to-front, David. But she probably
    > still deserves a medal.
    >
    > I guess you could say that day was a typical English midsummer; glorious
    > sunshine, then pissing down, then glorious sunshine again. Not too long
    > after that was taken we had floods and the town (Crediton) was cut off from
    > Exeter with all the rivers going over the roads (and the railway line washed
    > away). I rode the bike through one and got a bow wave up to my armpits, but
    > momentum got me through it. I had aquatic plant hanging off the handlebars.
    > I wonder what the guys at the computer store thought when I came in sodden
    > and stinking of river.
    >
    > --
    > http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=pcbutthead
    >

    > "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    > Your child looks like it's standing on broken car glass. Your wife deserves
    > a medal; for delivering that one.

    > "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> http://website.lineone.net/~shanebeatson/images/Bonnie_3.jpg
    >>
    >> --
    >> http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=pcbutthead
    >>

    >> "pcbutts1" <pcbutts1@seedsv.com> wrote in message
    >>> http://www.pcbutts1.com/shanebeatson.jpg
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>>

    >>> The best live web video on the internet http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm
    >>> NEW Embedded system W/Linux. We now sell DVR cards.
    >>> See it all at http://www.seedsv.com/products.htm
    >>> Sharpvision simply the best http://www.seedsv.com
    >>>

    >>> "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message

    Heh!

    Actually there's a fair bit of Northern heathen blood in me (but I don't
    brag about it. I might if their football team ever won anything).

    --

    I was just expecting to see a pic of a kid called Bonnie so you could prove
    your offspring look normal (and by implication her father).

    See what ass/u/me ing does.

    But I should have realised no english person would name a child after the
    northern heathens.
    "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Can't help thinking you have them back-to-front, David. But she probably
    > still deserves a medal.
    >
    > I guess you could say that day was a typical English midsummer; glorious
    > sunshine, then pissing down, then glorious sunshine again. Not too long
    > after that was taken we had floods and the town (Crediton) was cut off
    > from
    > Exeter with all the rivers going over the roads (and the railway line
    > washed
    > away). I rode the bike through one and got a bow wave up to my armpits,
    > but
    > momentum got me through it. I had aquatic plant hanging off the
    > handlebars.
    > I wonder what the guys at the computer store thought when I came in sodden
    > and stinking of river.
    >
    > --
    > http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=pcbutthead
    >

    > "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    > Your child looks like it's standing on broken car glass. Your wife
    > deserves
    > a medal; for delivering that one.

    > "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> http://website.lineone.net/~shanebeatson/images/Bonnie_3.jpg
    >>
    >> --
    >> http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=pcbutthead
    >>

    >> "pcbutts1" <pcbutts1@seedsv.com> wrote in message
    >>> http://www.pcbutts1.com/shanebeatson.jpg
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>>

    >>> The best live web video on the internet
    >>> http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm
    >>> NEW Embedded system W/Linux. We now sell DVR cards.
    >>> See it all at http://www.seedsv.com/products.htm
    >>> Sharpvision simply the best http://www.seedsv.com
    >>>

    >>> "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message

Microsoft Windows XP