All programs stopped working in XP SP2 after receiving Mca..

July 22, 2005 10:41:01 PM

I have Windows XP SP2 on a Sony Viao laptop. I have Mcafee running and
received updates to the software (not dat updates). After rebooting I
received warnings about a PUP (Potentially unwanted progam). I chose not to
allow it to run. Immediately after that all my programs stopped working. If
I click on Start, Program....I have nothing in the list. If I click on the
executeable for anything, such as Word, I get an error saying that Windows
cannot open this file.

I'm thinking I may need to reinstall the OS. The problem is that I cannot
back up my personal files because even a simple copy program does not work.

Any thoughts on how what happened or how to resolve?
July 22, 2005 11:50:03 PM

LB2210 wrote:

> I have Windows XP SP2 on a Sony Viao laptop. I have Mcafee running
> and
> received updates to the software (not dat updates). After rebooting I
> received warnings about a PUP (Potentially unwanted progam). I chose
> not to
> allow it to run. Immediately after that all my programs stopped
> working. If
> I click on Start, Program....I have nothing in the list. If I click
> on the executeable for anything, such as Word, I get an error saying
> that Windows cannot open this file.
>
> I'm thinking I may need to reinstall the OS. The problem is that I
> cannot back up my personal files because even a simple copy program
> does not work.
>
> Any thoughts on how what happened or how to resolve?

If your McAfee .dat files were not updated, that means that your
antivirus was not current. From your description, it sounds like your
computer was infected with something. I can't be more specific with the
little information you provided.

It is possible to retrieve data from a computer from outside of Windows.
I would suggest using Knoppix since it would not be a good idea to deal
with a badly infected hard drive from within Windows. Here is
information on Knoppix:

Knoppix is a Linux distro on a live cd. You will need a computer with
two cd drives, one of which is a cd/dvd-rw OR a usb thumb drive with
enough capacity to hold your data. To get Knoppix, you need a computer
with a fast Internet connection and third-party burning software.
Download the Knoppix .iso from www.knoppix.net and create your bootable
cd. Then boot with it and it will be able to see the Windows files. If
you are using the usb thumb drive, right-click on its icon (on the
Desktop) to get its properties and uncheck the box that says "Read
Only". Then click on it to open it. Note that the default mouse action
in the window manager used by Knoppix (KDE) is a single click to open
instead of the traditional MS Windows' double-click. Otherwise, use the
K3b burning program to burn the files to cd/dvd-r's.

You can try cleaning up your computer instead of doing a clean install.
Run Doug Knox's .exe file fix:

and then following the malware removal steps here:

http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Removing...

You should start your scanning with TrendMicro's Sysclean. There are
instructions for that at the same website.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

I had the same problems with many programs who would either not start or,
crash the computer. As soon as I removed Service Pack II and restored the
system back to Service Pack I, everything works the way it was designed. I
really think that Service Pack II is a malicious virus.
July 24, 2005 5:27:57 PM

Have you tried last known good configuration or running system restore from
safe mode?
"LB2210" <LB2210@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have Windows XP SP2 on a Sony Viao laptop. I have Mcafee running and
> received updates to the software (not dat updates). After rebooting I
> received warnings about a PUP (Potentially unwanted progam). I chose not
> allow it to run. Immediately after that all my programs stopped working.
> If
> I click on Start, Program....I have nothing in the list. If I click on
> the
> executeable for anything, such as Word, I get an error saying that Windows
> cannot open this file.
>
> I'm thinking I may need to reinstall the OS. The problem is that I cannot
> back up my personal files because even a simple copy program does not
> work.
>
> Any thoughts on how what happened or how to resolve?

Anonymous
July 24, 2005 10:19:53 PM

You need to go to the "Managed Quarantined Files" list in Mcafee and restore
the PUP.

"LB2210" <LB2210@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I have Windows XP SP2 on a Sony Viao laptop. I have Mcafee running and
>> received updates to the software (not dat updates). After rebooting I
>> received warnings about a PUP (Potentially unwanted progam). I chose not
>> allow it to run. Immediately after that all my programs stopped working.
>> If
>> I click on Start, Program....I have nothing in the list. If I click on
>> the
>> executeable for anything, such as Word, I get an error saying that
>> Windows
>> cannot open this file.
>>
>> I'm thinking I may need to reinstall the OS. The problem is that I cannot
>> back up my personal files because even a simple copy program does not
>> work.
>>
>> Any thoughts on how what happened or how to resolve?

Anonymous
July 25, 2005 7:41:08 PM

http://www.pcbutts1.com/shanebeatson.jpg

"Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message

> --
> http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?sourceid=navclient...

July 25, 2005 8:54:11 PM

http://website.lineone.net/~shanebeatson/images/Bonnie_...

--
http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=pcbutthead

"pcbutts1" <pcbutts1@seedsv.com> wrote in message
news:o K7Fe.319$kk6.112@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com...
> http://www.pcbutts1.com/shanebeatson.jpg

> "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>

>> --
>> http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?sourceid=navclient...

Anonymous
July 26, 2005 6:34:51 AM

Your child looks like it's standing on broken car glass. Your wife deserves a medal; for delivering that one.

"Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message news:o N88kETkFHA.1416@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> http://website.lineone.net/~shanebeatson/images/Bonnie_...
>
> --
> http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=pcbutthead
>

> "pcbutts1" <pcbutts1@seedsv.com> wrote in message
> news:o K7Fe.319$kk6.112@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com...
>> http://www.pcbutts1.com/shanebeatson.jpg
>>
>> --

>> "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>>

>>> --
>>> http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?sourceid=navclient...

July 26, 2005 6:34:52 AM

Can't help thinking you have them back-to-front, David. But she probably
still deserves a medal.

I guess you could say that day was a typical English midsummer; glorious
sunshine, then pissing down, then glorious sunshine again. Not too long
after that was taken we had floods and the town (Crediton) was cut off from
Exeter with all the rivers going over the roads (and the railway line washed
away). I rode the bike through one and got a bow wave up to my armpits, but
momentum got me through it. I had aquatic plant hanging off the handlebars.
I wonder what the guys at the computer store thought when I came in sodden
and stinking of river.

--

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
Your child looks like it's standing on broken car glass. Your wife deserves
a medal; for delivering that one.

"Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:o N88kETkFHA.1416@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> http://website.lineone.net/~shanebeatson/images/Bonnie_...
>
> --
> http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=pcbutthead
>

> "pcbutts1" <pcbutts1@seedsv.com> wrote in message
> news:o K7Fe.319$kk6.112@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com...
>> http://www.pcbutts1.com/shanebeatson.jpg
>>
>> --

>> "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>>

>>> --
>>> http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?sourceid=navclient...

Anonymous
July 26, 2005 8:08:11 AM

I was just expecting to see a pic of a kid called Bonnie so you could prove your offspring look normal (and by implication her father).

See what ass/u/me ing does.

But I should have realised no english person would name a child after the northern heathens.
"Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message news:ew11x$TkFHA.2904@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Can't help thinking you have them back-to-front, David. But she probably
> still deserves a medal.
>
> I guess you could say that day was a typical English midsummer; glorious
> sunshine, then pissing down, then glorious sunshine again. Not too long
> after that was taken we had floods and the town (Crediton) was cut off from
> Exeter with all the rivers going over the roads (and the railway line washed
> away). I rode the bike through one and got a bow wave up to my armpits, but
> momentum got me through it. I had aquatic plant hanging off the handlebars.
> I wonder what the guys at the computer store thought when I came in sodden
> and stinking of river.
>
> --
> http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=pcbutthead
>

> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
> Your child looks like it's standing on broken car glass. Your wife deserves
> a medal; for delivering that one.

> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
> "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:o N88kETkFHA.1416@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> http://website.lineone.net/~shanebeatson/images/Bonnie_...
>>
>> --
>> http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=pcbutthead
>>

>> "pcbutts1" <pcbutts1@seedsv.com> wrote in message
>> news:o K7Fe.319$kk6.112@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com...
>>> http://www.pcbutts1.com/shanebeatson.jpg
>>>
>>> --
>>>

>>> The best live web video on the internet http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm
>>> NEW Embedded system W/Linux. We now sell DVR cards.
>>> See it all at http://www.seedsv.com/products.htm
>>> Sharpvision simply the best http://www.seedsv.com
>>>

>>> "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message

July 26, 2005 8:08:12 AM

Heh!

Actually there's a fair bit of Northern heathen blood in me (but I don't
brag about it. I might if their football team ever won anything).

--

!