Unable to open web links

Hi Guys,
I have windows Xp svc Pk2, Zone Alarm,I am unable to open any weblinks (or
Shortcuts) from outlook ok express or from posted ones in newsgroups, I
disabled my firewall but still couldn't open them. The trouble seemed to
happen after I installed Svc Pack 2. The only way I can open them is to
copy and paste into my browser. Would appreciated any advice/help and
thanks guys
Regards
Bob H
3 answers Last reply
More about unable open links

    From:
    http://www.fjsmjs.com/OE/nolinks.htm

    If nothing happens when you click a link:
    Open Windows Explorer.
    Go to Tools | Folder Options | File Types.
    Scroll down to URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol and select it.
    Click Edit or Advanced, depending on your Windows version.
    Select 'open'.
    Click Edit.

    "Application used to perform this action" should read:

    "C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\iexplore.exe" -nohome
    (Check the path to iexplore.exe to make sure that is correct and use the
    double quotes.)

    DDE should be checked and in the boxes below it you should have:

    #1:
    "%1",,-1,0,,,,
    IExplore
    #3 (blank)

    WWW_OpenURL

    URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol with Privacy should be the same.

    Sometimes it is necessary to uncheck Use DDE.

    If you get a blank page:

    1. Click Start, and then click Run.

    2. In the Open box, type:

    regsvr32 urlmon.dll

    3. Click OK, and then click OK again when you receive the following message:

    DllRegisterServer in urlmon.dll succeeded.

    4. If that doesn't fix it, see this article:

    http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/answers.htm#new_window

    5. If you are using WinXP try this:
    http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/reg/IE_Default_Browser.reg

    You can also try this:

    Go to Start/run, and type SFC (msconfig for WinXP).
    Choose 'Extract One File From Installation Disk' ("Expand File" for WinXP).
    Type oleaut32.dll, not worrying about its location. Then, click Start.

    Next to 'Restore From', type in or browse for the file's location, which is
    probably in the Win98 (i386 for WinXP) folder of your installation CD-ROM
    (typically D:\Win98), or in your Windows\Options\Cabs (Windows\i386 for
    WinXP) folder, as the case may be.

    Then, next to 'Save File In', enter C:\Windows\System (C:\Windows\System32
    for WinXP), and click OK. System File Checker (or msconfig) looks for the
    file, saves it as you requested, and then tells you that 'the file has been
    successfully extracted'.

    You may need to reboot.

    Bruce Hagen
    MS-MVP - (IE/OE)
    ~IB-CA~

    "BH2" <furness850@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Guys,
    > I have windows Xp svc Pk2, Zone Alarm,I am unable to open any weblinks (or
    > Shortcuts) from outlook ok express or from posted ones in newsgroups, I
    > disabled my firewall but still couldn't open them. The trouble seemed to
    > happen after I installed Svc Pack 2. The only way I can open them is to
    > copy and paste into my browser. Would appreciated any advice/help and
    > thanks guys
    > Regards
    > Bob H

    "BH2" <furness850@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Guys,
    > I have windows Xp svc Pk2, Zone Alarm,I am unable to open any weblinks (or
    > Shortcuts) from outlook ok express or from posted ones in newsgroups, I
    > disabled my firewall but still couldn't open them. The trouble seemed to
    > happen after I installed Svc Pack 2. The only way I can open them is to
    > copy and paste into my browser. Would appreciated any advice/help and
    > thanks guys
    > Regards
    > Bob H

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];281679
    You Cannot Open New Internet Explorer Window or Nothing Happens After You Click a
    Link

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;823301
    Hyperlinks Do Not Work in Outlook Express or in Word

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;841793
    Some links in Outlook Express messages may not work on Win2000 or on WinXP

    "BH2" <furness850@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Guys,
    > I have windows Xp svc Pk2, Zone Alarm,I am unable to open any weblinks (or
    > Shortcuts) from outlook ok express or from posted ones in newsgroups, I disabled my
    > firewall but still couldn't open them. The trouble seemed to happen after I
    > installed Svc Pack 2. The only way I can open them is to copy and paste into my
    > browser. Would appreciated any advice/help and thanks guys
    > Regards
    > Bob H

Svc Windows XP