Palm VS Ipaq

Tags:
October 1, 2004 1:54:44 PM

Hi,

As i cant find anyone that knows how to reinstall the OS on my
formatted Vx, im now down to buying a new one. I'm uncertain on any
advantages/disadvantages between IPAQ/pocketPC/WinCE PDA's and Palm's...

as of now im not going to buy a smartphone, and i do want my new pda to
be able to receive "unlimited" externsion cards for RAM (something
around the 512mb++), it has to have a good sound system as i want to
dump my MiniDisc, and i prefer that i wouldnt have to convert every
file i want to transfer to my PDA if its possible, although thats no
biggy as long as i dont have to convert the mp3's and avi's...

can anyone refer me to a site that has detailed comparison between
palmOS and microsoft's OS's?
also - what models should i stay away from if i want all what i said
above ?

thanks
LT

More about : palm ipaq

Anonymous
October 3, 2004 2:38:57 AM

Greetings,

See my comments below...

"Lior T" <none@none.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> As i cant find anyone that knows how to reinstall the OS on my
> formatted Vx, im now down to buying a new one. I'm uncertain on any
> advantages/disadvantages between IPAQ/pocketPC/WinCE PDA's and Palm's...

This is somewhat subjective. Many people like Pocket PCs and many people
like Palms. My personal preference is a Palm device, although the PPC units
do have some nice features. I find the Palm to be excellent at the basic
tasks of managing my calendar and contact information. It syncs with Outlook
which is what I use in my job and that makes it easy for me to keep my
schedule handy when I am away from the office.

> as of now im not going to buy a smartphone, and i do want my new pda to
> be able to receive "unlimited" externsion cards for RAM (something
> around the 512mb++), it has to have a good sound system as i want to
> dump my MiniDisc, and i prefer that i wouldnt have to convert every
> file i want to transfer to my PDA if its possible, although thats no
> biggy as long as i dont have to convert the mp3's and avi's...

My Palm T3 plays MP3s just fine. You can also get a player that can handle
Ogg formatted audio as well which many people say has equal or better
quality at the same or smaller file sizes. I am not sure about AVIs so
someone else will have to answer that one. Not sure what other files you
want to carry around but with Docs to Go I have no problems with Word, Excel
or PowerPoint documents created on my PC.

> can anyone refer me to a site that has detailed comparison between
> palmOS and microsoft's OS's?
> also - what models should i stay away from if i want all what i said
> above ?

The big issue with Palm, in my opinion, is battery life. If you go for
something like a T3 you'll want to consider getting the Power to Go sled or
one of the chargers that can use standard alkaline batteries for a quick
recharge. If you wait a couple of weeks there should be new Palms out and
the older models should go on sale.

If you go for a PPC device you might look at the new Dell or one of the HP
units.

If all you want to do is play MP3s and transport files you might consider
getting a USB Flash drive and an Apple iPod. :)

Cheers
TC

> thanks
> LT
Anonymous
October 3, 2004 11:25:49 AM

thanks for the reply.

i do want a pda, not just an mp3 player :)  but having the option not to
carry my minidisc everywhere is nice...

anyway, i'l keep on reading and decide later on
thanks

LT

Tony Clark wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> See my comments below...
>
> "Lior T" <none@none.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > As i cant find anyone that knows how to reinstall the OS on my
> > formatted Vx, im now down to buying a new one. I'm uncertain on any
> > advantages/disadvantages between IPAQ/pocketPC/WinCE PDA's and
> > Palm's...
> >

> This is somewhat subjective. Many people like Pocket PCs and many
> people like Palms. My personal preference is a Palm device, although
> the PPC units do have some nice features. I find the Palm to be
> excellent at the basic tasks of managing my calendar and contact
> information. It syncs with Outlook which is what I use in my job and
> that makes it easy for me to keep my schedule handy when I am away
> from the office.
>
> > as of now im not going to buy a smartphone, and i do want my new
> > pda to be able to receive "unlimited" externsion cards for RAM
> > (something around the 512mb++), it has to have a good sound system
> > as i want to dump my MiniDisc, and i prefer that i wouldnt have to
> > convert every file i want to transfer to my PDA if its possible,
> > although thats no biggy as long as i dont have to convert the mp3's
> > and avi's...
> >

> My Palm T3 plays MP3s just fine. You can also get a player that can
> handle Ogg formatted audio as well which many people say has equal or
> better quality at the same or smaller file sizes. I am not sure about
> AVIs so someone else will have to answer that one. Not sure what
> other files you want to carry around but with Docs to Go I have no
> problems with Word, Excel or PowerPoint documents created on my PC.
>
> > can anyone refer me to a site that has detailed comparison between
> > palmOS and microsoft's OS's?
> > also - what models should i stay away from if i want all what i said
> > above ?
> >

> The big issue with Palm, in my opinion, is battery life. If you go
> for something like a T3 you'll want to consider getting the Power to
> Go sled or one of the chargers that can use standard alkaline
> batteries for a quick recharge. If you wait a couple of weeks there
> should be new Palms out and the older models should go on sale.
>
> If you go for a PPC device you might look at the new Dell or one of
> the HP units.
>
> If all you want to do is play MP3s and transport files you might
> consider getting a USB Flash drive and an Apple iPod. :)
>
> Cheers
> TC
>
> > thanks
> > LT
October 3, 2004 11:29:33 AM

BTW - you said - "I find the Palm to be excellent at the basic tasks
of managing my calendar and contact information. It syncs with
Outlook..."

it might be understood that the MS systems (ipaq/dell) dont sync with
outlook ? is that true or am i reading this wrong ? (my english is abit
poor).

btw - im using palm-desktop now so i'l have to transfer all records
anyway...

thanks
LT

Tony Clark wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> See my comments below...
>
> "Lior T" <none@none.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > As i cant find anyone that knows how to reinstall the OS on my
> > formatted Vx, im now down to buying a new one. I'm uncertain on any
> > advantages/disadvantages between IPAQ/pocketPC/WinCE PDA's and
> > Palm's...
> >

> This is somewhat subjective. Many people like Pocket PCs and many
> people like Palms. My personal preference is a Palm device, although
> the PPC units do have some nice features. I find the Palm to be
> excellent at the basic tasks of managing my calendar and contact
> information. It syncs with Outlook which is what I use in my job and
> that makes it easy for me to keep my schedule handy when I am away
> from the office.
>
> > as of now im not going to buy a smartphone, and i do want my new
> > pda to be able to receive "unlimited" externsion cards for RAM
> > (something around the 512mb++), it has to have a good sound system
> > as i want to dump my MiniDisc, and i prefer that i wouldnt have to
> > convert every file i want to transfer to my PDA if its possible,
> > although thats no biggy as long as i dont have to convert the mp3's
> > and avi's...
> >

> My Palm T3 plays MP3s just fine. You can also get a player that can
> handle Ogg formatted audio as well which many people say has equal or
> better quality at the same or smaller file sizes. I am not sure about
> AVIs so someone else will have to answer that one. Not sure what
> other files you want to carry around but with Docs to Go I have no
> problems with Word, Excel or PowerPoint documents created on my PC.
>
> > can anyone refer me to a site that has detailed comparison between
> > palmOS and microsoft's OS's?
> > also - what models should i stay away from if i want all what i said
> > above ?
> >

> The big issue with Palm, in my opinion, is battery life. If you go
> for something like a T3 you'll want to consider getting the Power to
> Go sled or one of the chargers that can use standard alkaline
> batteries for a quick recharge. If you wait a couple of weeks there
> should be new Palms out and the older models should go on sale.
>
> If you go for a PPC device you might look at the new Dell or one of
> the HP units.
>
> If all you want to do is play MP3s and transport files you might
> consider getting a USB Flash drive and an Apple iPod. :)
>
> Cheers
> TC
>
> > thanks
> > LT
Anonymous
October 3, 2004 2:22:06 PM

> BTW - you said - "I find the Palm to be excellent at the basic tasks
> of managing my calendar and contact information. It syncs with
> Outlook..."
>
> it might be understood that the MS systems (ipaq/dell) dont sync with
> outlook ? is that true or am i reading this wrong ? (my english is abit
> poor).

You are reading it wrong, its just stating that it does sync with outlook
(after all it isnt microsoft so maybe some would assume it doesnt), and
outlook sync is something that is needed by the OP.

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com
October 3, 2004 6:19:11 PM

Reply to message from "Lior T" <none@none.com> (Sun, 03 Oct 2004 03:25:49)
about "Re: Palm VS Ipaq":

I use my iPAQ 4355 as to watch recorded TV shows using the MS media player
that comes preloaded ... nd this will also play mp3's although I use a
different that plays the other formats mentioned in this thread. A scled
down version of Word and Excel are standard apps also which I frequently
use. The units synch great with Outlook using Activesync which is also
included as one of the bundled tools.

For me the noticble differences that led me to go with iPAQ instead of Palm
was similar navigation to Windows, WIFI and BT onboard, knowing it would
work out of the box with other MS products like terminal server.

Bye
Ann <nospam@netzero.com> Sun, 03 Oct 2004 14:02:43 -0400

Tony Clark wrote:

> Greetings,

> See my comments below...

> "Lior T" <none@none.com> wrote in message news:xn0dnzxfe730d2000@news.
> actcom.co.il...
>> Hi,

>> As i cant find anyone that knows how to reinstall the OS on my
>> formatted Vx, im now down to buying a new one. I'm uncertain on any
>> advantages/disadvantages between IPAQ/pocketPC/WinCE PDA's and
>> Palm's...

> This is somewhat subjective. Many people like Pocket PCs and many people
> like Palms. My personal preference is a Palm device, although the PPC
> units do have some nice features. I find the Palm to be excellent at the
> basic tasks of managing my calendar and contact information. It syncs
> with Outlook which is what I use in my job and that makes it easy for me
> to keep my schedule handy when I am away from the office.

>> as of now im not going to buy a smartphone, and i do want my new pda to
>> be able to receive "unlimited" externsion cards for RAM (something
>> around the 512mb++), it has to have a good sound system as i want to
>> dump my MiniDisc, and i prefer that i wouldnt have to convert every
>> file i want to transfer to my PDA if its possible, although thats no
>> biggy as long as i dont have to convert the mp3's and avi's...

> My Palm T3 plays MP3s just fine. You can also get a player that can
> handle Ogg formatted audio as well which many people say has equal or
> better quality at the same or smaller file sizes. I am not sure about
> AVIs so someone else will have to answer that one. Not sure what other
> files you want to carry around but with Docs to Go I have no problems
> with Word, Excel or PowerPoint documents created on my PC.

>> can anyone refer me to a site that has detailed comparison between
>> palmOS and microsoft's OS's? also - what models should i stay away from
>> if i want all what i said above ?

> The big issue with Palm, in my opinion, is battery life. If you go for
> something like a T3 you'll want to consider getting the Power to Go sled
> or one of the chargers that can use standard alkaline batteries for a
> quick recharge. If you wait a couple of weeks there should be new Palms
> out and the older models should go on sale.

> If you go for a PPC device you might look at the new Dell or one of the
> HP units.

> If all you want to do is play MP3s and transport files you might
> consider getting a USB Flash drive and an Apple iPod. :)

> Cheers
> TC

>> thanks
>> LT