Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Samsung LCD TV with no video and high pitched sound

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
January 7, 2010 11:18:39 AM

Hi,

I have a Samsung LN40A550 LCD TV which I have had for just over a year. Warranty is one year LOL. Well heres my problem. I was watching TV yesterday and all of a sudden the picture went all crazy, it was multiple colours with vertical or horizontal lines and the sound went to a loud high pitched noise. After about 30 seconds the picture and sound went back to normal. I used my TV without any problems 3 or 4 times since then, but when I go to turn it on this morning the TV powers on correctly and has the power on sound, but immediately after that their is no video and a high pitched sound. I tried disconnecting all devices from the TV, tried alternative power source. The TV is normally connected to a surge protector.

Any leads as to what may be wrong? I have scoured google for any similar problems but came up with only one similar instance saying its a blown capacitor.

Thanks,

Morgan


EDIT: I was not very clear on the audio. It is LOUD and high pitched almost sounds like its screaming lol
October 20, 2011 3:12:12 AM

morganj said:
Hi,

I have a Samsung LN40A550 LCD TV which I have had for just over a year. Warranty is one year LOL. Well heres my problem. I was watching TV yesterday and all of a sudden the picture went all crazy, it was multiple colours with vertical or horizontal lines and the sound went to a loud high pitched noise. After about 30 seconds the picture and sound went back to normal. I used my TV without any problems 3 or 4 times since then, but when I go to turn it on this morning the TV powers on correctly and has the power on sound, but immediately after that their is no video and a high pitched sound. I tried disconnecting all devices from the TV, tried alternative power source. The TV is normally connected to a surge protector.

Any leads as to what may be wrong? I have scoured google for any similar problems but came up with only one similar instance saying its a blown capacitor.

Thanks,

Morgan


Hi morgan - I have just experienced the same thing that you described happend to your samsung LN40A550. Our is the same model and has started making a very high pitched buzzing sound with no picuture coming on. We did have a bunch of green vertical lines, but now just a black screen. Can't even leave it plugged in because of the high pitched noise for too long. Wondering if you ever found out what was wrong with your LCD and if this high pitched noise was due to bad capicator. We have a repairman coming to look at our tv this monday that Samsung has set up the appointment but if this problem is not connected with bad capacitors we are responsible for the bill. Was hoping to get any information I can before they arrive. Any info would be so appreciated. Thank you so much. Not very technically literate!! Ellen

EDIT: I was not very clear on the audio. It is LOUD and high pitched almost sounds like its screaming lol

m
0
l
October 20, 2011 2:29:45 PM

I was getting the green vertical lines too before the problem became too serious. The problem was intermittent too for some time and just unplugging it and plugging it back in would get the TV to load up properly.

I managed to fix this problem myself although I have no idea what fixed it. I did a firmware upgrade when I was able to get the TV to load up on the TV and it seemed to work for awhile. The problem then returned a few weeks later. I took apart the TV disconnected all the connections on the boards and could not find any problem with the capacitors. I put it all back together, confused and worried my TV was a giant paperweight. I plugged it back in and still had the problem. I left it unplugged for about 2 weeks then I plugged it back in just to see if I could get it to work and the TV turned on no problem. It has been working since then without any hiccups. This TV has seen some heavy use since then.
m
0
l
Related resources
October 21, 2011 1:26:00 AM

Thanks for the reply. Just wondering if you were you getting a high pitched buzzing sound that is so loud you have to turn it off immediately? We had vertical green lines and now we have nothing but a a black screen with a very very loud high pitched almost alarm/buzzing sound. The t.v. takes a few minutes to acutally turn on and then when it does, the screen is still black and we immediately get that extremely loud high pitched buzzing sound. You have to turn it off immediately, its so oud. I'll try and do exactly what you have done too. Would love to get some heavy use from our t.v. Its not even 3 years old yet, but just curious if you experienced the black screen and noise too. Hoping it will be fixable. Thanks for the info and reply again. Ellen
m
0
l
October 21, 2011 11:05:19 PM

double post....
m
0
l
October 21, 2011 11:06:14 PM

symptoms are similar but not the same. Mine wouldn't take a few minutes to turn on. It would just start doing the high pitched very loud noise about 3 seconds after turning the power on. It would make the usual samsung power on sound then immediately start screeching loud with nothing on the screen. Other than that, your symptoms sound similar. I have read a lot on bad capacitors and the TV taking a long time to turn on is usually a sign of bad capacitors.
m
0
l
December 8, 2012 8:28:25 PM

Any resolution on this? I just had the caps replaced and still get this. They said possibly tcon?
m
0
l
December 9, 2012 3:01:20 AM

My TV is still working. Haven't had any problems since those problems almost 2 years ago now. I guess letting the capacitors drain for those few weeks and reseating all the connections fixed it for me. I did not replace any capacitors in my TV, just took the boards apart and all connections apart and put it back together. I also removed and remounted the boards.
m
0
l
December 28, 2012 2:22:49 AM

Samsung replaced my caps 2 weeks ago. i then got the symptoms described in this forum again (green lines, can see picture behind, loud screeching, 2-5 times to power cycle before acting normal and then working fine for hours). i got a t-con board on shopjimmy.com for $34 and got the symptoms again. hopefully it's not the lcd panel itself. i guess the only things left are the main board or inverter board. pndering on switching out inverter board.
m
0
l
February 17, 2013 4:51:16 PM

jemp75 said:
Samsung replaced my caps 2 weeks ago. i then got the symptoms described in this forum again (green lines, can see picture behind, loud screeching, 2-5 times to power cycle before acting normal and then working fine for hours). i got a t-con board on shopjimmy.com for $34 and got the symptoms again. hopefully it's not the lcd panel itself. i guess the only things left are the main board or inverter board. pndering on switching out inverter board.


Did you ever find out whether it was the inverter or the main board? I have the same issue and and wondering which to purchase. Thanks
m
0
l
February 19, 2013 1:18:07 AM

BranK said:
Did you ever find out whether it was the inverter or the main board? I have the same issue and and wondering which to purchase. Thanks


i suspect the main board, but have not gone any further. really, when we want to watch tv, we turn on the tv about 5 minutes prior and then when we come back, it's fine (after a few power cycles and colorful screens, but not the screeching so often). also, make sure no inputs are active - they (apple tv or xfinity hd box) seem to raise the probability of the screeching if they are on and the tv is 'warming up.' nobody has main boards in stock for less than $200 up front (minus $50 for core deposit when you return the old board) for my version.
m
0
l
March 13, 2013 6:04:16 AM

jemp75 said:
BranK said:
Did you ever find out whether it was the inverter or the main board? I have the same issue and and wondering which to purchase. Thanks


i suspect the main board, but have not gone any further. really, when we want to watch tv, we turn on the tv about 5 minutes prior and then when we come back, it's fine (after a few power cycles and colorful screens, but not the screeching so often). also, make sure no inputs are active - they (apple tv or xfinity hd box) seem to raise the probability of the screeching if they are on and the tv is 'warming up.' nobody has main boards in stock for less than $200 up front (minus $50 for core deposit when you return the old board) for my version.


I am having the same problem... It mostly does it when the HDMI from the Ps3 is on.. I can turn the TV on for 10 minutes let warm up then turn on the PS3 and most of the time its fine..

I would like to fix it though... Has anyone found out if its the mainboard?
m
0
l
March 13, 2013 6:04:17 AM

duplicate
m
0
l
March 13, 2013 6:31:15 AM

tpeter said:
jemp75 said:
BranK said:
Did you ever find out whether it was the inverter or the main board? I have the same issue and and wondering which to purchase. Thanks


i suspect the main board, but have not gone any further. really, when we want to watch tv, we turn on the tv about 5 minutes prior and then when we come back, it's fine (after a few power cycles and colorful screens, but not the screeching so often). also, make sure no inputs are active - they (apple tv or xfinity hd box) seem to raise the probability of the screeching if they are on and the tv is 'warming up.' nobody has main boards in stock for less than $200 up front (minus $50 for core deposit when you return the old board) for my version.


I am having the same problem... It mostly does it when the HDMI from the Ps3 is on.. I can turn the TV on for 10 minutes let warm up then turn on the PS3 and most of the time its fine..

I would like to fix it though... Has anyone found out if its the mainboard?


m
0
l
March 13, 2013 6:35:44 AM

MAIN BOARD! it works, just not getting the full 16:9 screen, which i am now trouble shooting. it is nice to not have to wait. got it on shopjimmy.com for $89 which was about a 2 month wait. make sure you buy the board for your version (mine was SQ01) hence the long wait for the only replacement specified.
m
0
l
April 25, 2014 3:36:18 PM

It's a main board issue and a repair service is available on ebay if you search the main board part # off the white sticker (BN94-XXXXXX)
m
0
l
!