Is DVD +RW type disc compatable with my Dell PC?

Hi
I am having trouble using a DVD + RW for the first time, I'm using a Dell
Dimension 47000 with a Samsung DVD unit in it.

Could anybody tell me what I need in order to write data to this?

Many Thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about type disc compatable dell

    > I am having trouble using a DVD + RW for the first time, I'm using a Dell
    > Dimension 47000 with a Samsung DVD unit in it.

    If you look in the device manager (Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device
    Manager). it should identify the type of DVD Burner (+ or -). However, on
    my Dell system, the Samsung drive is NOT a burner, but rather a DVD player
    drive. The DVD Burner is a NEC drive.

    > Could anybody tell me what I need in order to write data to this?

    That depends on HOW you want to write data to the drive. If you want a DVD
    Data disk (read only files), the RecordNow! software that came with the Dell
    will do. If you want to be able to read/write (like a HD), then you must
    format a DVD + R/W to UDF standards.

    --
    ..__
    (__

    "Jen" <jen@private.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > I am having trouble using a DVD + RW for the first time, I'm using a Dell
    > Dimension 47000

    Dimension 47000? Wow, what's it like in 2025? :-)

    "Steve Shattuck" <steve@shattuck.net> wrote in message
    >> I am having trouble using a DVD + RW for the first time, I'm using a Dell
    >> Dimension 47000 with a Samsung DVD unit in it.
    >
    > If you look in the device manager (Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device
    > Manager). it should identify the type of DVD Burner (+ or -). However, on
    > my Dell system, the Samsung drive is NOT a burner, but rather a DVD player
    > drive. The DVD Burner is a NEC drive.
    >
    >> Could anybody tell me what I need in order to write data to this?
    >
    > That depends on HOW you want to write data to the drive. If you want a
    > DVD Data disk (read only files), the RecordNow! software that came with
    > the Dell will do. If you want to be able to read/write (like a HD), then
    > you must format a DVD + R/W to UDF standards.

    Hi Steve

    Thanks for your tip, this is highly confusing, do you know anyway that I can
    find out if my SAMSUNG CDRW/DVD SM-352F is actually capable of recording
    data from my hard drive to my DVD + RW or have I mistakenly gone and just
    wasted $20 on 10 DVD +RW? :(. As it said DVD on the front of my DVD drive I
    assumed automatically that if it could play DVD's it would also record
    to/write to DVD.

    This is a brand new DVD, so is their perhaps some software I need to install
    to enable the machine to record to it perhaps? I've installed Deep Burn the
    freeware version.

    Thanks for your help Steve its very much appreciated. I have googled, I've
    looked on Dells forum, and have fired of an email to their tech support, but
    still I can't yet resolve the issue.

    > --
    > .__
    > (__
    > __ )teve www.steve.shattuck.net steve@shattuck.net

    "Steve Shattuck" <steve@shattuck.net> wrote in message
    >> I am having trouble using a DVD + RW for the first time, I'm using a Dell
    >> Dimension 47000 with a Samsung DVD unit in it.
    >
    > If you look in the device manager (Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device
    > Manager). it should identify the type of DVD Burner (+ or -). However, on
    > my Dell system, the Samsung drive is NOT a burner, but rather a DVD player
    > drive. The DVD Burner is a NEC drive.
    >
    >> Could anybody tell me what I need in order to write data to this?
    >
    > That depends on HOW you want to write data to the drive. If you want a
    > DVD Data disk (read only files), the RecordNow! software that came with
    > the Dell will do. If you want to be able to read/write (like a HD), then
    > you must format a DVD + R/W to UDF standards.
    >
    > --
    > .__
    > (__
    > __ )teve www.steve.shattuck.net steve@shattuck.net

    Hi Steve
    Problem is now solved! You were correct, it is a DVD ROM only. I did further
    searching on the Dell forums. :( I guess I maybe can sell my pack of DVD's
    on ebay :)
    Thanks again for your support
    Jen

DVD Dell Microsoft Windows XP