FTP servers and Microsoft .NET

After I wasn't able to access FTP servers, I used an application to check my
ports, and port 21 showed blocked. I tried all kinds of tricks to unblock
it, to no avail (I am not computer savvy).

I then removed from my system "Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1". And now I can
access FTP servers and port 21 shows open (I use "port detective"). As is
known, .NET installs without asking a new User Account.

Is it possible that .NET was blocking my port 21, or was it something else?

Thank you for your attention,
Juan
1 answer Last reply
More about servers microsoft

    "Juan Moreira" <Juan@salta.ar> wrote in message
    > After I wasn't able to access FTP servers, I used an application to check
    > my ports, and port 21 showed blocked. I tried all kinds of tricks to
    > unblock it, to no avail (I am not computer savvy).
    >
    > I then removed from my system "Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1". And now I
    > can access FTP servers and port 21 shows open (I use "port detective"). As
    > is known, .NET installs without asking a new User Account.
    >
    > Is it possible that .NET was blocking my port 21, or was it something
    > else?
    >
    > Thank you for your attention,
    > Juan

    The .NET Framework is an Optional install from the Windows Update site, but
    it can also be installed along with another application that uses the .NET
    Framework. I can't see any way the .NET Framework could have been
    preventing you from using FTP. I have the .NET Framework installed and use
    FTP all the time, daily in fact.

    However, I don't have port 21 open and neither should you.

    The .NET Framework is just like the JAVA Runtime Environment. Programs
    written to use those platforms will not run without them installed on your
    system. If you had the .NET Framework installed as part of another
    application, then that application will no longer work.

    Regards,

    Carl

FTP Microsoft Servers Windows XP