FTP servers and Microsoft .NET

July 23, 2005 10:08:31 AM

After I wasn't able to access FTP servers, I used an application to check my
ports, and port 21 showed blocked. I tried all kinds of tricks to unblock
it, to no avail (I am not computer savvy).

I then removed from my system "Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1". And now I can
access FTP servers and port 21 shows open (I use "port detective"). As is
known, .NET installs without asking a new User Account.

Is it possible that .NET was blocking my port 21, or was it something else?

Thank you for your attention,
Juan
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 10:08:32 AM

"Juan Moreira" <Juan@salta.ar> wrote in message
news:o hWcPPzjFHA.3012@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> After I wasn't able to access FTP servers, I used an application to check
> my ports, and port 21 showed blocked. I tried all kinds of tricks to
> unblock it, to no avail (I am not computer savvy).
>
> I then removed from my system "Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1". And now I
> can access FTP servers and port 21 shows open (I use "port detective"). As
> is known, .NET installs without asking a new User Account.
>
> Is it possible that .NET was blocking my port 21, or was it something
> else?
>
> Thank you for your attention,
> Juan

The .NET Framework is an Optional install from the Windows Update site, but
it can also be installed along with another application that uses the .NET
Framework. I can't see any way the .NET Framework could have been
preventing you from using FTP. I have the .NET Framework installed and use
FTP all the time, daily in fact.

However, I don't have port 21 open and neither should you.

The .NET Framework is just like the JAVA Runtime Environment. Programs
written to use those platforms will not run without them installed on your
system. If you had the .NET Framework installed as part of another
application, then that application will no longer work.

Regards,

Carl
!