Possible virus infection???

July 23, 2005 12:21:56 AM

I was using my computer and Norton Firewall popped up and said "Medium
Risk - Windows subsystem is attempting to access the internet- Block
Once, Block Always, Allow" and so I clicked on Block once, and it
popped up with the same message again, so I clicked on "Block always"
and then my computer froze completely.
I restarted it and now the message (in DOS) says:

NTLDR is missing...
Press any key to restart.

What happened and why can't I boot back into Windows?

Paul

More about : virus infection

Anonymous
July 23, 2005 1:55:59 AM

Thanks. :)

Paul

Will Denny wrote:
> Hi Paul
>
> Try this:
>
> Boot with your XP CD in the cd drive. Select 'To repair..' by pressing 'R'.
> When in the Recovery Console type the following:
>
> "copy X:\i386\ntldr C:\" - without the quotes.
>
> Where X is the letter of your CD drive and C is the letter of your system
> drive. Take the XP CD out of the cd drive and reboot into XP normally.
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> <dunric@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >I was using my computer and Norton Firewall popped up and said "Medium
> > Risk - Windows subsystem is attempting to access the internet- Block
> > Once, Block Always, Allow" and so I clicked on Block once, and it
> > popped up with the same message again, so I clicked on "Block always"
> > and then my computer froze completely.
> > I restarted it and now the message (in DOS) says:
> >
> > NTLDR is missing...
> > Press any key to restart.
> >
> > What happened and why can't I boot back into Windows?
> >
> > Paul
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 9:26:07 AM

Hi Paul

Try this:

Boot with your XP CD in the cd drive. Select 'To repair..' by pressing 'R'.
When in the Recovery Console type the following:

"copy X:\i386\ntldr C:\" - without the quotes.

Where X is the letter of your CD drive and C is the letter of your system
drive. Take the XP CD out of the cd drive and reboot into XP normally.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups

<dunric@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I was using my computer and Norton Firewall popped up and said "Medium
> Risk - Windows subsystem is attempting to access the internet- Block
> Once, Block Always, Allow" and so I clicked on Block once, and it
> popped up with the same message again, so I clicked on "Block always"
> and then my computer froze completely.
> I restarted it and now the message (in DOS) says:
>
> NTLDR is missing...
> Press any key to restart.
>
> What happened and why can't I boot back into Windows?
>
> Paul
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 9:53:02 AM

Hey Paul,

If you are worried about that medium risk pop-up from Norton , you should
allow it as it could be your ISP who is trying to check for the connection. I
did block all for that pop-up once and I lost my internet connection. The
only way I couls connect would be by disabling Norton.
!!

Thanks,
Claudino Antao

!