Corrupt Registry

I can not start windows. It says: winxp/system32/config/system is missing a
file or is corrupt. My question is: what can be the cause of this corruption
on a fresh install with all updatesand required drivers in place. Is it
hardware or software related? I use True Image so I was up and running in no
time, but I'm truely concerned as to why it happened in the first place.

Your comments will be greatly appreciated...
5 answers Last reply
More about corrupt registry

    SeaOtter wrote:

    > I can not start windows. It says: winxp/system32/config/system is missing a
    > file or is corrupt. My question is: what can be the cause of this corruption
    > on a fresh install with all updatesand required drivers in place. Is it
    > hardware or software related? I use True Image so I was up and running in no
    > time, but I'm truely concerned as to why it happened in the first place.
    >
    > Your comments will be greatly appreciated...

    How to Troubleshoot Registry Corruption Issues
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=822705

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Thanks for the responses, but I've already been to these sites. I was hoping
    for a first hand reply from someone who has "been there". :)

    SeaOtter wrote:
    > I can not start windows. It says: winxp/system32/config/system is missing a
    > file or is corrupt. My question is: what can be the cause of this corruption
    > on a fresh install with all updatesand required drivers in place. Is it
    > hardware or software related? I use True Image so I was up and running in no
    > time, but I'm truely concerned as to why it happened in the first place.
    >
    > Your comments will be greatly appreciated...

    I've found such corruption to be most often caused by hardware issues,
    with defective or even over-heated RAM being a leading cause.

    How to Troubleshoot Registry Corruption Issues
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822705

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from
    starting
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307545

    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP

    SeaOtter wrote:
    > I can not start windows. It says: winxp/system32/config/system is missing a
    > file or is corrupt. My question is: what can be the cause of this corruption
    > on a fresh install with all updatesand required drivers in place. Is it
    > hardware or software related? I use True Image so I was up and running in no
    > time, but I'm truely concerned as to why it happened in the first place.
    >
    > Your comments will be greatly appreciated...

    Thanks Bruce,

    I will look into the memory possibility....

    Pat Child

    AKA: Seaotter

Registry Windows XP