Damn, Wizkids did it AGAIN...

Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer,rec.games.miniatures.misc (More info?)

Check this out:

WIZKIDS announced yesterday that they will introduce a new game,
MECHWARRIOR AGE OF DESTRUCTION in January. This is a collectable
miniature game of combat in the 4th millenium based on the BATTLETECH
universe. Figures come prepainted in starter sets and booster boxes,
and use a rotating base to keep track of combat damage. AGE OF
DESTRUCTION replaces their original game MECHWARRIOR DARK AGE. WIZKIDS
also announced that after the year 2006 none of the units from
MECHWARRIOR DARK AGE will be legal for use in WIZKIDS sponsored
MECHWARRIOR AGE OF DESTRUCTION tournaments, even though those older
units were compatible with the new game.

This should be a warning to miniature players who get involved in
collectable miniature games with an eye towards tournament play. They
will now have to buy an entire new collection to remain active in the
WIZKIDS tournament world.Wizkids has also announced that even the new
game set will be subject to retirement as early as 2008.

I would warn potential players seeing boxes of MECHWARRIOR DARK AGE
figures at stores like Barnes and Noble to be aware that many figures
that they buy from current sets will not be useable at sponsored
competitions beginning in 2005.

~~~~~~~

Woah.

I was shocked when Wizkids did this the first time with Mage Knight. I
picked up a ton of the stuff on an insane discount when the game was
super-popular since the store couldn't move it. I got home, ripped
open all the boosters, sorted the models by faction/army, and realized
I didn't have a single faction that could be played on its own. I'd
have been far better off buying Warhammer, or Magic: the Gathering,
something, anything else. I ended up selling off enough of the figs to
where I didn't get burned too badly. But it made me realize exactly
how much you'd need to spend to get an army/warband worth playing.

So it came as a complete shock to see Mage Knight 2.0. Granted, I
could see the point in some of the rules changes, like making flight a
permamnent ability instead of a dial ability, but permanently banning
all the previous models wholesale, that's something else. Not even GW
does that, and they're supposedly the evil empire...

Now they're doing it again with Mechwarrior. All part of the problem
of having integral stats on the models. I thought about getting into
that Pirates of the Spanish Main game since it's getting rave reviews,
but there's no way now...

--Chris

BlackHeart

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2004
Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer,rec.games.miniatures.misc (More info?)

On 10 Oct 2004 13:13:35 -0700, grimdarkness@hotmail.com (Chris Valera)
wrote:

>Woah.
>
>I was shocked when Wizkids did this the first time with Mage Knight. I
>picked up a ton of the stuff on an insane discount when the game was
>super-popular since the store couldn't move it. I got home, ripped
>open all the boosters, sorted the models by faction/army, and realized
>I didn't have a single faction that could be played on its own. I'd
>have been far better off buying Warhammer, or Magic: the Gathering,
>something, anything else. I ended up selling off enough of the figs to
>where I didn't get burned too badly. But it made me realize exactly
>how much you'd need to spend to get an army/warband worth playing.
>
>So it came as a complete shock to see Mage Knight 2.0. Granted, I
>could see the point in some of the rules changes, like making flight a
>permamnent ability instead of a dial ability, but permanently banning
>all the previous models wholesale, that's something else. Not even GW
>does that, and they're supposedly the evil empire...
>
>Now they're doing it again with Mechwarrior. All part of the problem
>of having integral stats on the models. I thought about getting into
>that Pirates of the Spanish Main game since it's getting rave reviews,
>but there's no way now...

hehe.... pwned by the man like the tool you are.

Blackheart <leech@leech.com> wrote in message news:<pvomm0de6uvnp5ou93kdkdpu4log1av310@4ax.com>...
> On 10 Oct 2004 13:13:35 -0700, grimdarkness@hotmail.com (Chris Valera)
> wrote:
>

> >Woah.
> >
> >I was shocked when Wizkids did this the first time with Mage Knight. I
> >picked up a ton of the stuff on an insane discount when the game was
> >super-popular since the store couldn't move it. I got home, ripped
> >open all the boosters, sorted the models by faction/army, and realized
> >I didn't have a single faction that could be played on its own. I'd
> >have been far better off buying Warhammer, or Magic: the Gathering,
> >something, anything else. I ended up selling off enough of the figs to
> >where I didn't get burned too badly. But it made me realize exactly
> >how much you'd need to spend to get an army/warband worth playing.
> >
> >So it came as a complete shock to see Mage Knight 2.0. Granted, I
> >could see the point in some of the rules changes, like making flight a
> >permamnent ability instead of a dial ability, but permanently banning
> >all the previous models wholesale, that's something else. Not even GW
> >does that, and they're supposedly the evil empire...
> >
> >Now they're doing it again with Mechwarrior. All part of the problem
> >of having integral stats on the models. I thought about getting into
> >that Pirates of the Spanish Main game since it's getting rave reviews,
> >but there's no way now...
> >

> hehe.... pwned by the man like the tool you are.

I'm crushed Hanson, but I like your pic;
http://gallery.kam-net.com/misc/domesticethug

--Chris

Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer,rec.games.miniatures.misc (More info?)

> People can say what they like about Games Workshop, but at least when you
> buy a blister of something, you know what you are getting, it is not
totally
> random like the clix based games. That way you don't end up with 15 of a
> useless figure, unless you want it.
>
> ALSO, in comparison to what I spent on Clix, 40K is relatively cheap to
get
> into, and you only get the models you want.
>
> LUKE

Huh yeah, try useing an old style GW miniature in a tournament game with GW
and see if it's allowed. GW and Wizkids are known for this practice. Get
into a real miniature game for crying out loud, not a dispossable one.

"Steven Roberts" <arhes@velocity.net> wrote in message

> > People can say what they like about Games Workshop, but at least when
you
> > buy a blister of something, you know what you are getting, it is not
> totally
> > random like the clix based games. That way you don't end up with 15 of a
> > useless figure, unless you want it.
> >
> > ALSO, in comparison to what I spent on Clix, 40K is relatively cheap to
> get
> > into, and you only get the models you want.
> >
> > LUKE
> >
> Huh yeah, try useing an old style GW miniature in a tournament game with
GW
> and see if it's allowed. GW and Wizkids are known for this practice. Get
> into a real miniature game for crying out loud, not a dispossable one.

Like????????? Polly Pocket or Strawberry Shortcake???

Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.misc (More info?)

How about Void 1.1 They don't do what you are talking about and have
some nice figures. If you heard about I-Kore selling off its business
well now its owned by Urban Mammoth and they are doing fine.

www.urbanmammoth.com