Error Checking Question

oldad

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2005

Dell Dimension XPS Gen4, win XP Pro.

I just ran Error checking with the two boxes checked

The five steps completed then a pause and a full listing appeared on the
screen, however it was only there momentarily, just abaout one second then
the puter restarted., which leaves me wondering what the heck was listed.

Call to Dell tech Service of no use.

Is this normal , the momentary results flash, or might the list be
available somewhere on the hd?

Seems to me that if I run the thing ( roughly a 45 minute deal to complete
the 5 steps, I should be able to at least see the results.

Thanks in advance for any advice or comments,
oldad

Hi,

Start/run eventvwr.msc, look for the latest winlogon action.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"oldad" <ppswan@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Dell Dimension XPS Gen4, win XP Pro.
>
> I just ran Error checking with the two boxes checked
>
> The five steps completed then a pause and a full listing appeared on the
> screen, however it was only there momentarily, just abaout one second then
> the puter restarted., which leaves me wondering what the heck was listed.
>
> Call to Dell tech Service of no use.
>
> Is this normal , the momentary results flash, or might the list be
> available somewhere on the hd?
>
> Seems to me that if I run the thing ( roughly a 45 minute deal to complete
> the 5 steps, I should be able to at least see the results.
>
> Thanks in advance for any advice or comments,
> oldad

oldad

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2005

For Rick and ssg

Thanks much for that welcome info.

So much for Dell Ellite Dimension XPS Tech service... who advised me that
there was nothing that could be done to see the results .

Last Question: Since seeing what I wanted, is there anything wrong or
harmful in deleting the contents of the Event Viewer?

Thanks again,

oldad

"oldad" <ppswan@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Dell Dimension XPS Gen4, win XP Pro.
>
> I just ran Error checking with the two boxes checked
>
> The five steps completed then a pause and a full listing appeared on the
> screen, however it was only there momentarily, just abaout one second then
> the puter restarted., which leaves me wondering what the heck was listed.
>
> Call to Dell tech Service of no use.
>
> Is this normal , the momentary results flash, or might the list be
> available somewhere on the hd?
>
> Seems to me that if I run the thing ( roughly a 45 minute deal to complete
> the 5 steps, I should be able to at least see the results.
>
> Thanks in advance for any advice or comments,
> oldad

Start|Control Panel|Administrative Tools|Event Viewer|Application|Winlogon

regards,
ssg MS-MVP

oldad wrote:

> Dell Dimension XPS Gen4, win XP Pro.
>
> I just ran Error checking with the two boxes checked
>
> The five steps completed then a pause and a full listing appeared on the
> screen, however it was only there momentarily, just abaout one second then
> the puter restarted., which leaves me wondering what the heck was listed.
>
> Call to Dell tech Service of no use.
>
> Is this normal , the momentary results flash, or might the list be
> available somewhere on the hd?
>
> Seems to me that if I run the thing ( roughly a 45 minute deal to complete
> the 5 steps, I should be able to at least see the results.
>
> Thanks in advance for any advice or comments,
> oldad

Hi,

No problem. And there is no harm in deleting the event logs.

--

> For Rick and ssg
>
> Thanks much for that welcome info.
>
> So much for Dell Ellite Dimension XPS Tech service... who advised me that
> there was nothing that could be done to see the results .
>
> Last Question: Since seeing what I wanted, is there anything wrong or
> harmful in deleting the contents of the Event Viewer?
>
> Thanks again,
>
> oldad
>

> "oldad" <ppswan@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> Dell Dimension XPS Gen4, win XP Pro.
>>
>> I just ran Error checking with the two boxes checked
>>
>> The five steps completed then a pause and a full listing appeared on the
>> screen, however it was only there momentarily, just abaout one second
>> then the puter restarted., which leaves me wondering what the heck was
>> listed.
>>
>> Call to Dell tech Service of no use.
>>
>> Is this normal , the momentary results flash, or might the list be
>> available somewhere on the hd?
>>
>> Seems to me that if I run the thing ( roughly a 45 minute deal to
>> complete the 5 steps, I should be able to at least see the results.
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any advice or comments,
>> oldad

oldad

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2005