media center edition

I have just bought a new computer and it came to me with xp media center
edtion. I was not aware that this version of xp was on the comptuer when i
bought it . i thought it would be the home edition as it usually is., I have
no interest in this edition and i was going to change the computer for one
with xp home on it. Can anybody tell me if there are any huge differences
between this version and the home version, Is it worthwhile changing it. I
also have an xp pro upgrade and i hear that the media editon cannot be
upgraded to pro. is this true? Please let me have as much information as you
have. thank you .

"James The First" <JamesTheFirst@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
|I have just bought a new computer and it came to me with xp media center
| edtion. I was not aware that this version of xp was on the comptuer when i
| bought it . i thought it would be the home edition as it usually is., I
have
| no interest in this edition and i was going to change the computer for
one
| with xp home on it. Can anybody tell me if there are any huge differences
| between this version and the home version, Is it worthwhile changing it. I
| also have an xp pro upgrade and i hear that the media editon cannot be
| upgraded to pro. is this true? Please let me have as much information as
you
| have. thank you .

Windows Media Center Editions is essentially Windows XP Professional with
the Media Center components added. There is a difference between the two
(MCE and Pro) in the area of domain capabilities but, if your other choice
is XP Home these likely won't come into play for you.

Unless you actually start Media Center the computer will look and act like a
Windows XP Professional computer. IMO buying and installing Windows XP Home
would be a downgrade and not worth the expense/effort.

--
Doug

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details. :)

Remove shoes to E-mail.

Hi

Is MCE giving you any problems? If you need to install either XP Home or XP
Pro, you will have to reformat the hard disk/partition first. There are
some links to info. about MCE here:

http://search.microsoft.com/search/results.aspx?st=b&na=88&View=en-us&qu=media+center

MCE is a superset of XP.

--