internet gateway

I have a mn-500 wireless basestation. When I turn the
computer on I have 2 sets of little tv's in the lower
right protion of my screen. One says Workgroup:Mshome
Connected to the internet (This one always stays on) The
other one says Broadband connection Microsoft Wireless
Base Station. (this one will dissapear at some point in
the day)
When it is gone the internet gateway icon in the network
connections says disabled. If I click the enable it does
nothing. I can't access the network when this happens. I
need it on because this allows desktop and laptop both to
have internet and network .But when it is off I just have
internet with no network Why am I having problems with
the internet gateway?
PS. Some times by an act of God it might come back on
when I am not looking. And other times it will stay on
for days after I turn on the computer just to tick me
off. However I never know when it will stop working.

I would remove the MBNU from the startup group in the
Start/Programs menu. It should get rid of one of the "tv"
sets (actually 2 computer screens, standing for 2 networked
PC's) -- I have shutdown my MBNU quite a while, since it is
not necessary.

Also check if you are running software firewalls or Windows
ICF on any of the computers. Disable them or add the
network subnet to the trusted zone of the firewall.

On each computer, under TCP/IP, on the WINS tab, make sure
that Default or Enable NetBIOS is selected.

Finally, if one of the computers (or both) is wireless,
make sure that the problem is not due to interference with
the wireless network (if you can still go to the Internet
from that computer, than it is not).

So you say I don't need mbnu. My computer works fine when
both sets of icons are there. I do have a wireless laptop
as well. They both always get internet but when the
internet gateway icon is off I can't use the network. I
will try what you said and see what happens. I checked
the wins and it does have the Enable NetBIOS selected.

I'd say the BNU isn't too useful if you are using Windows XP.

It's only really necessary for those with older systems who need to setup
Wireless NICs on Win2k and Win9x.

You don't need it at all for a router..

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Find out about the MS MVP Program -

"C Healey" <s0lis@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> So you say I don't need mbnu. My computer works fine when
> both sets of icons are there. I do have a wireless laptop
> as well. They both always get internet but when the
> internet gateway icon is off I can't use the network. I
> will try what you said and see what happens. I checked
> the wins and it does have the Enable NetBIOS selected.

It's not even necessary to run the network on Win9x boxes
with wireless NICs (or reconfigure them) ^.^

Thank you very much for your help I will try this.
Thanx again