DVD RW Not Recognized when a blank is insterted

I have a new computer, which I built, and which works fine except for one
thing: The Memorex DVD RW 16x16 [dual layer] is not recognized by windows xp
personal as a dvd burner. It will burn CDs.

The odd thing is that if I have my computer open with the drives and their
labels showing, it is listed as a DVD burner--until I put in a blank DVD+R.
Then the drive description changes from DVDRW to CD. As a result I cannot get
my software to burn to the drive.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am running a Sempron 3100+ on an Asus K8N Motherboard, with 1 gig of ram
and have tried several software packages including Adobe Premiere Elements
and the Nero Burner that came with the drive. I also have a memorex DVD
Reader, which works fine. The Memorex tech support people said it's a windows
problem.
If it is I need a work around. Thanks again.

David

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 01:29:02 -0700, "Actmeister"
<Actmeister@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have a new computer, which I built, and which works fine except for one
>thing: The Memorex DVD RW 16x16 [dual layer] is not recognized by windows xp
>personal as a dvd burner. It will burn CDs.
>

>Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Did this happen after installing SP2? I got these symptoms and others
after upgrading, have been having a long-distance affair with MS
support for weeks! They've just sent a new XP/SP2 CD to re-install
everything. So far I've got rid of all the problems but haven't yet
got around to burning anything. If you're interested I'll let you
know.

David

David,

When I bought the compnents I got XP, which included SP2 on the CD. I don't
know if SP2 is the problem, but the drive has never been recognized with a
blank inserted and I do not have the option of doing without SP2. It's built
in on my version of XP.

I would love to know the outcome of your situation, thank you.

Actmeister

"David" wrote:

> On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 01:29:02 -0700, "Actmeister"
> <Actmeister@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I have a new computer, which I built, and which works fine except for one
> >thing: The Memorex DVD RW 16x16 [dual layer] is not recognized by windows xp
> >personal as a dvd burner. It will burn CDs.
> >

> >Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> >

> Did this happen after installing SP2? I got these symptoms and others
> after upgrading, have been having a long-distance affair with MS
> support for weeks! They've just sent a new XP/SP2 CD to re-install
> everything. So far I've got rid of all the problems but haven't yet
> got around to burning anything. If you're interested I'll let you
> know.
>
> David

peter

You need software to use DVD's in XP-anything, such as WinDVD. Windows
native drivers will allow you to burn stuff because it's recognizing it as a
CD burner, but to read a DVD you need external software.
See this article:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/moviemaker/expert/jones_02november25.mspx

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada
"Actmeister" <Actmeister@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> David,
>
> When I bought the compnents I got XP, which included SP2 on the CD. I
> don't
> know if SP2 is the problem, but the drive has never been recognized with a
> blank inserted and I do not have the option of doing without SP2. It's
> built
> in on my version of XP.
>
> I would love to know the outcome of your situation, thank you.
>
> Actmeister
>
> "David" wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 01:29:02 -0700, "Actmeister"
>> <Actmeister@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I have a new computer, which I built, and which works fine except for
>> >one
>> >thing: The Memorex DVD RW 16x16 [dual layer] is not recognized by
>> >windows xp
>> >personal as a dvd burner. It will burn CDs.
>> >

>> >Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>> >

>> Did this happen after installing SP2? I got these symptoms and others
>> after upgrading, have been having a long-distance affair with MS
>> support for weeks! They've just sent a new XP/SP2 CD to re-install
>> everything. So far I've got rid of all the problems but haven't yet
>> got around to burning anything. If you're interested I'll let you
>> know.
>>
>> David

peter

P.S. DVD Burners usually come with the necessary software included in the
driver disk.

--
"Peter" <ex-brit AT rogers DOT com> wrote in message
> You need software to use DVD's in XP-anything, such as WinDVD. Windows
> native drivers will allow you to burn stuff because it's recognizing it as
> a CD burner, but to read a DVD you need external software.
> See this article:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/moviemaker/expert/jones_02november25.mspx
>

> --
> Peter
> Toronto, Canada
> XP Home SP2
> P4 dual HT @ 3ghz, 360gb HD, 1gb DDR.
> "Actmeister" <Actmeister@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> David,
>>
>> When I bought the compnents I got XP, which included SP2 on the CD. I
>> don't
>> know if SP2 is the problem, but the drive has never been recognized with
>> blank inserted and I do not have the option of doing without SP2. It's
>> built
>> in on my version of XP.
>>
>> I would love to know the outcome of your situation, thank you.
>>
>> Actmeister
>>
>> "David" wrote:

>>> Did this happen after installing SP2? I got these symptoms and others
>>> after upgrading, have been having a long-distance affair with MS
>>> support for weeks! They've just sent a new XP/SP2 CD to re-install
>>> everything. So far I've got rid of all the problems but haven't yet
>>> got around to burning anything. If you're interested I'll let you
>>> know.
>>>
>>> David

Peter,

As I said in my original post, I have Nero, Adobe Premiere Elements, and a
couple of others, including Win DVD. NONE of them will burn to the drive, as
windows mis-identifies the drive when a blank disk is inserted. The software
will recognize the drive UNTIL a blank is inserted. But since I can't burn
without a blank disk in the drive, that isn't much help. If you have any
other thoughts please share them. I'm getting desperate! Thanks.

"Peter" wrote:

> You need software to use DVD's in XP-anything, such as WinDVD. Windows
> native drivers will allow you to burn stuff because it's recognizing it as a
> CD burner, but to read a DVD you need external software.
> See this article:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/moviemaker/expert/jones_02november25.mspx
>

> --
> Peter
> Toronto, Canada
> XP Home SP2
> P4 dual HT @ 3ghz, 360gb HD, 1gb DDR.
> "Actmeister" <Actmeister@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > David,
> >
> > When I bought the compnents I got XP, which included SP2 on the CD. I
> > don't
> > know if SP2 is the problem, but the drive has never been recognized with a
> > blank inserted and I do not have the option of doing without SP2. It's
> > built
> > in on my version of XP.
> >
> > I would love to know the outcome of your situation, thank you.
> >
> > Actmeister
> >
> > "David" wrote:

> >> Did this happen after installing SP2? I got these symptoms and others
> >> after upgrading, have been having a long-distance affair with MS
> >> support for weeks! They've just sent a new XP/SP2 CD to re-install
> >> everything. So far I've got rid of all the problems but haven't yet
> >> got around to burning anything. If you're interested I'll let you
> >> know.
> >>
> >> David

Unless the burner was in the OEM catagory. Sometimes, you do not receive a
driver CD in OEM kits.

> P.S. DVD Burners usually come with the necessary software included in the
> driver disk.
>
> --
> Peter
> Toronto, Canada
> XP Home SP2
> P4 dual HT @ 3ghz, 360gb HD, 1gb DDR.
> "Peter" <ex-brit AT rogers DOT com> wrote in message
>> You need software to use DVD's in XP-anything, such as WinDVD. Windows
>> native drivers will allow you to burn stuff because it's recognizing it
>> as a CD burner, but to read a DVD you need external software.
>> See this article:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/moviemaker/expert/jones_02november25.mspx
>>

>> --
>> Peter
>> Toronto, Canada
>> XP Home SP2
>> P4 dual HT @ 3ghz, 360gb HD, 1gb DDR.
>> "Actmeister" <Actmeister@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> David,
>>>
>>> When I bought the compnents I got XP, which included SP2 on the CD. I
>>> don't
>>> know if SP2 is the problem, but the drive has never been recognized with
>>> blank inserted and I do not have the option of doing without SP2. It's
>>> built
>>> in on my version of XP.
>>>
>>> I would love to know the outcome of your situation, thank you.
>>>
>>> Actmeister

Good thought, but it's a retail drive and came with the Nero suite. I also
have win dvd 5, premiere elements and a couple of others, but none will
recognize the drive as a burner when a blank is inserted.

Let me know if you think of anything else, thanks!

"Yves Leclerc" wrote:

> Unless the burner was in the OEM catagory. Sometimes, you do not receive a
> driver CD in OEM kits.
>

> "Peter" <ex-brit AT rogers DOT com> wrote in message
> > P.S. DVD Burners usually come with the necessary software included in the
> > driver disk.
> >
> > --
> > Peter
> > Toronto, Canada
> > XP Home SP2
> > P4 dual HT @ 3ghz, 360gb HD, 1gb DDR.
> > "Peter" <ex-brit AT rogers DOT com> wrote in message
> >> You need software to use DVD's in XP-anything, such as WinDVD. Windows
> >> native drivers will allow you to burn stuff because it's recognizing it
> >> as a CD burner, but to read a DVD you need external software.
> >> See this article:
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/moviemaker/expert/jones_02november25.mspx
> >>

> >> --
> >> Peter
> >> Toronto, Canada
> >> XP Home SP2
> >> P4 dual HT @ 3ghz, 360gb HD, 1gb DDR.
> >> "Actmeister" <Actmeister@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

peter

That's true, thanks for pointing that out. My first DVDROM which I've since
replaced with a burner, was OEM but they gave a WinDVD4 CD also. I guess
some people aren't that lucky.

--
> Unless the burner was in the OEM catagory. Sometimes, you do not receive
> a driver CD in OEM kits.
>

> "Peter" <ex-brit AT rogers DOT com> wrote in message
>> P.S. DVD Burners usually come with the necessary software included in
>> the driver disk.
>>
>> --
>> Peter
>> Toronto, Canada
>> XP Home SP2
>> P4 dual HT @ 3ghz, 360gb HD, 1gb DDR.
>> "Peter" <ex-brit AT rogers DOT com> wrote in message
>>> You need software to use DVD's in XP-anything, such as WinDVD. Windows
>>> native drivers will allow you to burn stuff because it's recognizing it
>>> as a CD burner, but to read a DVD you need external software.
>>> See this article:
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/moviemaker/expert/jones_02november25.mspx
>>>

>>> --
>>> Peter
>>> Toronto, Canada
>>> XP Home SP2
>>> P4 dual HT @ 3ghz, 360gb HD, 1gb DDR.
>>> "Actmeister" <Actmeister@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

peter

I didn't see your original post because I empty OE Newsgroups every night,
sorry about that. Maybe you need a firmware update from the manufacturer's
site? I'll scout around in the meanwhile for info.
I know a good group of CD/DVD geeks where there's lots of advice..
http://club.cdfreaks.com/
All I know is that it certainly isn't SP2 that's causing it.

--
> Peter,
>
> As I said in my original post, I have Nero, Adobe Premiere Elements, and
> couple of others, including Win DVD. NONE of them will burn to the drive,
> as
> windows mis-identifies the drive when a blank disk is inserted. The
> software
> will recognize the drive UNTIL a blank is inserted. But since I can't burn
> without a blank disk in the drive, that isn't much help. If you have any
> other thoughts please share them. I'm getting desperate! Thanks.
>
> "Peter" wrote:
>
>> You need software to use DVD's in XP-anything, such as WinDVD. Windows
>> native drivers will allow you to burn stuff because it's recognizing it
>> as a
>> CD burner, but to read a DVD you need external software.
>> See this article:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/moviemaker/expert/jones_02november25.mspx
>>

>> --
>> Peter
>> Toronto, Canada
>> XP Home SP2
>> P4 dual HT @ 3ghz, 360gb HD, 1gb DDR.
>> "Actmeister" <Actmeister@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > David,
>> >
>> > When I bought the compnents I got XP, which included SP2 on the CD. I
>> > don't
>> > know if SP2 is the problem, but the drive has never been recognized
>> > with a
>> > blank inserted and I do not have the option of doing without SP2. It's
>> > built
>> > in on my version of XP.
>> >
>> > I would love to know the outcome of your situation, thank you.
>> >
>> > Actmeister

peter

There may be something useful here:

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm under D as in DVD.

http://www.informit.com/articles/article.asp?p=30592&seqNum=6&rl=1

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada
XP Home SP2
P4 dual HT @ 3ghz, 360gb HD, 1gb DDR.
"Actmeister" <Actmeister@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Peter,
>
> As I said in my original post, I have Nero, Adobe Premiere Elements, and
> couple of others, including Win DVD. NONE of them will burn to the drive,
> as
> windows mis-identifies the drive when a blank disk is inserted. The
> software
> will recognize the drive UNTIL a blank is inserted. But since I can't burn
> without a blank disk in the drive, that isn't much help. If you have any
> other thoughts please share them. I'm getting desperate! Thanks.
>
> "Peter" wrote:
>
>> You need software to use DVD's in XP-anything, such as WinDVD. Windows
>> native drivers will allow you to burn stuff because it's recognizing it
>> as a
>> CD burner, but to read a DVD you need external software.
>> See this article:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/moviemaker/expert/jones_02november25.mspx
>>

>> --
>> Peter
>> Toronto, Canada
>> XP Home SP2
>> P4 dual HT @ 3ghz, 360gb HD, 1gb DDR.
>> "Actmeister" <Actmeister@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > David,
>> >
>> > When I bought the compnents I got XP, which included SP2 on the CD. I
>> > don't
>> > know if SP2 is the problem, but the drive has never been recognized
>> > with a
>> > blank inserted and I do not have the option of doing without SP2. It's
>> > built
>> > in on my version of XP.
>> >
>> > I would love to know the outcome of your situation, thank you.
>> >
>> > Actmeister

Ed

On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 08:45:01 -0700, "Actmeister"
<Actmeister@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>As I said in my original post, I have Nero

Please forgive me if this was mentioned before but I am coming in late
on this one and don't have the first messages in this thread....

If you have Nero, did you install InCD? I have Nero Ultra Edition and
InCD had to be installed separately because it did not install
automatically with the burning rom and other applications. I could do
nothing with RW's until InCD was installed.

Just a friendly thought....
Ed

peter

I also wondered if you've checked that the plugs/cable etc inside the PC are
OK.

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada
XP Home SP2
P4 dual HT @ 3ghz, 360gb HD, 1gb DDR.
"Actmeister" <Actmeister@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Peter,
>
> As I said in my original post, I have Nero, Adobe Premiere Elements, and
> couple of others, including Win DVD. NONE of them will burn to the drive,
> as
> windows mis-identifies the drive when a blank disk is inserted. The
> software
> will recognize the drive UNTIL a blank is inserted. But since I can't burn
> without a blank disk in the drive, that isn't much help. If you have any
> other thoughts please share them. I'm getting desperate! Thanks.
>
> "Peter" wrote:
>
>> You need software to use DVD's in XP-anything, such as WinDVD. Windows
>> native drivers will allow you to burn stuff because it's recognizing it
>> as a
>> CD burner, but to read a DVD you need external software.
>> See this article:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/moviemaker/expert/jones_02november25.mspx
>>

>> --
>> Peter
>> Toronto, Canada
>> XP Home SP2
>> P4 dual HT @ 3ghz, 360gb HD, 1gb DDR.
>> "Actmeister" <Actmeister@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > David,
>> >
>> > When I bought the compnents I got XP, which included SP2 on the CD. I
>> > don't
>> > know if SP2 is the problem, but the drive has never been recognized
>> > with a
>> > blank inserted and I do not have the option of doing without SP2. It's
>> > built
>> > in on my version of XP.
>> >
>> > I would love to know the outcome of your situation, thank you.
>> >
>> > Actmeister

You can only have one (1) UDF (packet) writing program installed or there will be conflicts, each UDF program is fighting for the drive.

--
Just my 2¢ worth,
Jeff

"Actmeister" <Actmeister@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B2C47CC4-14CD-4796-AEAB-CBDB380CA7BC@microsoft.com...
| Peter,
|
| As I said in my original post, I have Nero, Adobe Premiere Elements, and a
| couple of others, including Win DVD. NONE of them will burn to the drive, as
| windows mis-identifies the drive when a blank disk is inserted. The software
| will recognize the drive UNTIL a blank is inserted. But since I can't burn
| without a blank disk in the drive, that isn't much help. If you have any
| other thoughts please share them. I'm getting desperate! Thanks.
|
| "Peter" wrote:
|
| > You need software to use DVD's in XP-anything, such as WinDVD. Windows
| > native drivers will allow you to burn stuff because it's recognizing it as a
| > CD burner, but to read a DVD you need external software.
| > See this article:
| > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/moviemaker/expert/jones_02november25.mspx
| >

| > --
| > Peter
| > Toronto, Canada
| > XP Home SP2
| > P4 dual HT @ 3ghz, 360gb HD, 1gb DDR.
| > "Actmeister" <Actmeister@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > > David,
| > >
| > > When I bought the compnents I got XP, which included SP2 on the CD. I
| > > don't
| > > know if SP2 is the problem, but the drive has never been recognized with a
| > > blank inserted and I do not have the option of doing without SP2. It's
| > > built
| > > in on my version of XP.
| > >
| > > I would love to know the outcome of your situation, thank you.
| > >
| > > Actmeister

Peter,
Nothing to be sorry about! I appreciate your taking the time. I just didn't
want you think I was coming into this without supplying all the information.
I talked to memorex tech support and they claim the problem is windows. The
latest firmware download on their site predates my drive by a year. I am
going to call them back tomorrow. The more I look into this the more I think
the problem is theirs, and very likely firmware. I am going to try the other
suggestion and uninstall all my dvd authoring software except premiere
elements. Also someone asked about InCD. I do have it installed. I was
actually wondering if that might be the problem.

Thanks so much everyone for all your help. I'll report back after I call
Memorex and try the suggestions.

Actmeister

"Peter" wrote:

> I didn't see your original post because I empty OE Newsgroups every night,
> sorry about that. Maybe you need a firmware update from the manufacturer's
> site? I'll scout around in the meanwhile for info.
> I know a good group of CD/DVD geeks where there's lots of advice..
> http://club.cdfreaks.com/
> All I know is that it certainly isn't SP2 that's causing it.
>
> --
> Peter
> Toronto, Canada
> XP Home SP2
> P4 dual HT @ 3ghz, 360gb HD, 1gb DDR.
> "Actmeister" <Actmeister@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Peter,
> >
> > As I said in my original post, I have Nero, Adobe Premiere Elements, and
> > couple of others, including Win DVD. NONE of them will burn to the drive,
> > as
> > windows mis-identifies the drive when a blank disk is inserted. The
> > software
> > will recognize the drive UNTIL a blank is inserted. But since I can't burn
> > without a blank disk in the drive, that isn't much help. If you have any
> > other thoughts please share them. I'm getting desperate! Thanks.
> >
> > "Peter" wrote:
> >
> >> You need software to use DVD's in XP-anything, such as WinDVD. Windows
> >> native drivers will allow you to burn stuff because it's recognizing it
> >> as a
> >> CD burner, but to read a DVD you need external software.
> >> See this article:
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/moviemaker/expert/jones_02november25.mspx
> >>

> >> --
> >> Peter
> >> Toronto, Canada
> >> XP Home SP2
> >> P4 dual HT @ 3ghz, 360gb HD, 1gb DDR.
> >> "Actmeister" <Actmeister@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Actmeister, have you tried leaving the blank media out until the writing/burn
application that you use needs to access it or do the actual burn? I ask this
because of another forum that I was browsing mentioned this as a way round XP
getting it wrong for some DVD copying situations. They suggested letting the
write/burn application control the reading and insertion of the media.
I do not know if this is useful information or not to you, but it is free
and easy to try.

Stoneman.

I've tried that too. What I found recently, and should have posted is that
most sofware seems to be written to work around the problem. I was able to
get Nero to burn, but it didn't want to recognize a dual layer disk. I had
another program for compressing a dual layer disk onto a single layer disk,
called DVD Copy. This program was unable to recognize the burner at all and
their tech support NEVER responded to my requests for help. I've dumped that
program and am now using Nero Recode 2 for that purpose, and everything is
hunky dunky. I've also found how to make premiere recognize the drive and
burn, so all is well in Actmeister land. Thank you so much for your time and
trouble everyone!

Best Regards,

Actmeister

"stoneman" wrote:

> Actmeister, have you tried leaving the blank media out until the writing/burn
> application that you use needs to access it or do the actual burn? I ask this
> because of another forum that I was browsing mentioned this as a way round XP
> getting it wrong for some DVD copying situations. They suggested letting the
> write/burn application control the reading and insertion of the media.
> I do not know if this is useful information or not to you, but it is free
> and easy to try.
>
> Stoneman.

Please can you tell me how you got premiere to recognise it.... I have
exactly same issue (no SP's installed).
--
tvrmark

"Actmeister" wrote:

> I've tried that too. What I found recently, and should have posted is that
> most sofware seems to be written to work around the problem. I was able to
> get Nero to burn, but it didn't want to recognize a dual layer disk. I had
> another program for compressing a dual layer disk onto a single layer disk,
> called DVD Copy. This program was unable to recognize the burner at all and
> their tech support NEVER responded to my requests for help. I've dumped that
> program and am now using Nero Recode 2 for that purpose, and everything is
> hunky dunky. I've also found how to make premiere recognize the drive and
> burn, so all is well in Actmeister land. Thank you so much for your time and
> trouble everyone!
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Actmeister
>
> "stoneman" wrote:
>
> > Actmeister, have you tried leaving the blank media out until the writing/burn
> > application that you use needs to access it or do the actual burn? I ask this
> > because of another forum that I was browsing mentioned this as a way round XP
> > getting it wrong for some DVD copying situations. They suggested letting the
> > write/burn application control the reading and insertion of the media.
> > I do not know if this is useful information or not to you, but it is free
> > and easy to try.
> >
> > Stoneman.

Yo TVMark,

You should have the disk in the drive before you hit the burn button. If the
burn button on the dialogue is greyed out, click the more button at the top
right corner of the burn template. This should give you the burn options. You
should be fine from there. Let me know how it works out for you.

Actmeister

"tvrmark" wrote:

> Please can you tell me how you got premiere to recognise it.... I have
> exactly same issue (no SP's installed).
> --
> tvrmark
>

> "Actmeister" wrote:
>
> > I've tried that too. What I found recently, and should have posted is that
> > most sofware seems to be written to work around the problem. I was able to
> > get Nero to burn, but it didn't want to recognize a dual layer disk. I had
> > another program for compressing a dual layer disk onto a single layer disk,
> > called DVD Copy. This program was unable to recognize the burner at all and
> > their tech support NEVER responded to my requests for help. I've dumped that
> > program and am now using Nero Recode 2 for that purpose, and everything is
> > hunky dunky. I've also found how to make premiere recognize the drive and
> > burn, so all is well in Actmeister land. Thank you so much for your time and
> > trouble everyone!
> >
> > Best Regards,
> >
> > Actmeister
> >
> > "stoneman" wrote:
> >
> > > Actmeister, have you tried leaving the blank media out until the writing/burn
> > > application that you use needs to access it or do the actual burn? I ask this
> > > because of another forum that I was browsing mentioned this as a way round XP
> > > getting it wrong for some DVD copying situations. They suggested letting the
> > > write/burn application control the reading and insertion of the media.
> > > I do not know if this is useful information or not to you, but it is free
> > > and easy to try.
> > >
> > > Stoneman.

Stixoffire

If your DVD turns to a Cd-Rom when you install blank media, or you get cannot write to drive error : It is most likely software. Specifically NERO 8

1:Cables do not automagically switch - so checking them is not intelligent.
2:If it happens on more than one CD/DVD Burner the chance of both DVDs going at the same time while not impossible is very unlikely.
3: Most of the time software issues are windows - but in this Case - NERO 8 .. Unload it - Toss it and get a real burning software from Open source - those guys that write the code for it - actually want it to work hassle free and are not concerned with how to lock you out of burning this or that in order to charge for the optional features etc. They actaully ensure that it works and works well. GIZMO is one of them that works for regular burning of data. There are others for Audio and DVD. Search the net for Open Source DVD Burning Software.