Hi Speed USB2

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi

I have USB2 on my PC, on my Asus P5GDC MoBo with P4 3.2ghz/1.5gb ddr RAM, Xp
SP2 etc etc.

When I plug my iPod into it it states it will run at a reduced speed because
I don't have the latest controllers for my USB.

Microsoft Knowledge base tells me to update to latest Service pack, which I
already have (not separate install, it was a fresh XP SP2 install).

Any ideas how to activate the USB2 capabilities on this?

Many Thanks.

Nik.
8 answers Last reply
More about speed usb2
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    According to Asus's product specifications, that Motherboard
    has up to 8 USB ports and all are 2.0 compliant. Aside from a
    Service Pack you might need the Intel Chipset Driver package.
    This installs system/core component drivers. Also, BIOS will
    have configuration options for USB. You should probably go
    through the setup and ensure that USB is configured for High
    Speed (USB2.0) operation.
    The latest version is 7.2.1.1003, that you can get from the Intel
    Downloads page:
    http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df-external/Filter_Results.aspx?strOSs=44&strTypes=DRV,ARC&ProductID=816&OSFullName=Windows*%20XP%20Professional

    "Nik" <nik.walmsleySPAMKILL@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I have USB2 on my PC, on my Asus P5GDC MoBo with P4 3.2ghz/1.5gb ddr RAM,
    > Xp
    > SP2 etc etc.
    >
    > When I plug my iPod into it it states it will run at a reduced speed
    > because
    > I don't have the latest controllers for my USB.
    >
    > Microsoft Knowledge base tells me to update to latest Service pack, which
    > already have (not separate install, it was a fresh XP SP2 install).
    >
    > Any ideas how to activate the USB2 capabilities on this?
    >
    > Many Thanks.
    >
    > Nik.

  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Thanks for such a great (and quick) reply!

    Nik.

    "R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    > According to Asus's product specifications, that Motherboard
    > has up to 8 USB ports and all are 2.0 compliant. Aside from a
    > Service Pack you might need the Intel Chipset Driver package.
    > This installs system/core component drivers. Also, BIOS will
    > have configuration options for USB. You should probably go
    > through the setup and ensure that USB is configured for High
    > Speed (USB2.0) operation.
    > The latest version is 7.2.1.1003, that you can get from the Intel
    > Downloads page:
    > http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df-external/Filter_Results.aspx?strOSs=44&strTypes=DRV,ARC&ProductID=816&OSFullName=Windows*%20XP%20Professional
    >

    > "Nik" <nik.walmsleySPAMKILL@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I have USB2 on my PC, on my Asus P5GDC MoBo with P4 3.2ghz/1.5gb ddr RAM,
    >> Xp
    >> SP2 etc etc.
    >>
    >> When I plug my iPod into it it states it will run at a reduced speed
    >> because
    >> I don't have the latest controllers for my USB.
    >>
    >> Microsoft Knowledge base tells me to update to latest Service pack, which
    >> already have (not separate install, it was a fresh XP SP2 install).
    >>
    >> Any ideas how to activate the USB2 capabilities on this?
    >>
    >> Many Thanks.
    >>
    >> Nik.

  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    The problem I have is that I don't understand why SiSandra reports that the
    speed is "FULL"? :-

    SiSoftware Sandra

    General Information
    Controller : Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM USB Universal Host Controller - 265B

    Root Hub
    Compound Device : No
    Hub Is Bus Powered : No
    Power Switching : None
    Over-current Protection : Individual
    Number of Ports : 2

    Root Hub: USB Port 1

    Root Hub: USB Port 2
    Device Connected to Port : USB Mass Storage Device
    OEM Device Name : Apple Computer, Inc. ??? (1205)
    Device Version : 0.01
    Device ID : VEN_05AC, DEV_1205, PRT_00
    USB Version : 2.00
    Speed : Full (12Mbps)
    Configuration Settings : 1
    Open Pipes : 2
    Transfer Type : Bulk
    Data Packet Size : 64 byte(s)

    The device is connected to the front ports on my PC, and I'm wondering if it
    needs to be a direct connection (I.e. it sees the front ports as a hub?)
    could this be the problem?

    Thanks again.

    Nik.

    "R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    > According to Asus's product specifications, that Motherboard
    > has up to 8 USB ports and all are 2.0 compliant. Aside from a
    > Service Pack you might need the Intel Chipset Driver package.
    > This installs system/core component drivers. Also, BIOS will
    > have configuration options for USB. You should probably go
    > through the setup and ensure that USB is configured for High
    > Speed (USB2.0) operation.
    > The latest version is 7.2.1.1003, that you can get from the Intel
    > Downloads page:
    > http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df-external/Filter_Results.aspx?strOSs=44&strTypes=DRV,ARC&ProductID=816&OSFullName=Windows*%20XP%20Professional
    >

    > "Nik" <nik.walmsleySPAMKILL@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I have USB2 on my PC, on my Asus P5GDC MoBo with P4 3.2ghz/1.5gb ddr RAM,
    >> Xp
    >> SP2 etc etc.
    >>
    >> When I plug my iPod into it it states it will run at a reduced speed
    >> because
    >> I don't have the latest controllers for my USB.
    >>
    >> Microsoft Knowledge base tells me to update to latest Service pack, which
    >> already have (not separate install, it was a fresh XP SP2 install).
    >>
    >> Any ideas how to activate the USB2 capabilities on this?
    >>
    >> Many Thanks.
    >>
    >> Nik.

  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Full is the nomenclature for the original USB 1.0 standard.
    High Speed is the description for USB 2.0. I can't speak to the
    Intel 915 based chipset. On my 865 chipset the BIOS setup will
    allow you to configure USB for either operating mode. In effect
    you can turn off USB2.0 and force USB1 level performance.
    As far as Device Manager is concerned, you'll have a number
    of Host controllers that serve a Root Hub that provides the USB
    slots or channels. From your Sandra data it appears that the
    Controllers are set to Full Speed operation. I would still check
    BIOS and confirm the settings for USB.

    > The problem I have is that I don't understand why SiSandra reports that
    > the speed is "FULL"? :-
    >
    > SiSoftware Sandra
    >
    > General Information
    > Controller : Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM USB Universal Host Controller - 265B
    >
    > Root Hub
    > Compound Device : No
    > Hub Is Bus Powered : No
    > Power Switching : None
    > Over-current Protection : Individual
    > Number of Ports : 2
    >
    > Root Hub: USB Port 1
    >
    > Root Hub: USB Port 2
    > Device Connected to Port : USB Mass Storage Device
    > OEM Device Name : Apple Computer, Inc. ??? (1205)
    > Device Version : 0.01
    > Device ID : VEN_05AC, DEV_1205, PRT_00
    > USB Version : 2.00
    > Speed : Full (12Mbps)
    > Configuration Settings : 1
    > Open Pipes : 2
    > Transfer Type : Bulk
    > Data Packet Size : 64 byte(s)
    >
    > The device is connected to the front ports on my PC, and I'm wondering if
    > it needs to be a direct connection (I.e. it sees the front ports as a
    > hub?) could this be the problem?
    >
    > Thanks again.
    >
    > Nik.
    >
    > "R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    >> According to Asus's product specifications, that Motherboard
    >> has up to 8 USB ports and all are 2.0 compliant. Aside from a
    >> Service Pack you might need the Intel Chipset Driver package.
    >> This installs system/core component drivers. Also, BIOS will
    >> have configuration options for USB. You should probably go
    >> through the setup and ensure that USB is configured for High
    >> Speed (USB2.0) operation.
    >> The latest version is 7.2.1.1003, that you can get from the Intel
    >> Downloads page:
    >> http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df-external/Filter_Results.aspx?strOSs=44&strTypes=DRV,ARC&ProductID=816&OSFullName=Windows*%20XP%20Professional
    >>

    >> "Nik" <nik.walmsleySPAMKILL@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hi
    >>>
    >>> I have USB2 on my PC, on my Asus P5GDC MoBo with P4 3.2ghz/1.5gb ddr
    >>> RAM, Xp
    >>> SP2 etc etc.
    >>>
    >>> When I plug my iPod into it it states it will run at a reduced speed
    >>> because
    >>> I don't have the latest controllers for my USB.
    >>>
    >>> Microsoft Knowledge base tells me to update to latest Service pack,
    >>> which I
    >>> already have (not separate install, it was a fresh XP SP2 install).
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas how to activate the USB2 capabilities on this?
    >>>
    >>> Many Thanks.
    >>>
    >>> Nik.

  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Cool, will do. Thanks again for the advice.

    > Full is the nomenclature for the original USB 1.0 standard.
    > High Speed is the description for USB 2.0. I can't speak to the
    > Intel 915 based chipset. On my 865 chipset the BIOS setup will
    > allow you to configure USB for either operating mode. In effect
    > you can turn off USB2.0 and force USB1 level performance.
    > As far as Device Manager is concerned, you'll have a number
    > of Host controllers that serve a Root Hub that provides the USB
    > slots or channels. From your Sandra data it appears that the
    > Controllers are set to Full Speed operation. I would still check
    > BIOS and confirm the settings for USB.
    >
    > "Nik" <nik.walmsleySPAMKILL@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    >> The problem I have is that I don't understand why SiSandra reports that
    >> the speed is "FULL"? :-
    >>
    >> SiSoftware Sandra
    >>
    >> General Information
    >> Controller : Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM USB Universal Host Controller - 265B
    >>
    >> Root Hub
    >> Compound Device : No
    >> Hub Is Bus Powered : No
    >> Power Switching : None
    >> Over-current Protection : Individual
    >> Number of Ports : 2
    >>
    >> Root Hub: USB Port 1
    >>
    >> Root Hub: USB Port 2
    >> Device Connected to Port : USB Mass Storage Device
    >> OEM Device Name : Apple Computer, Inc. ??? (1205)
    >> Device Version : 0.01
    >> Device ID : VEN_05AC, DEV_1205, PRT_00
    >> USB Version : 2.00
    >> Speed : Full (12Mbps)
    >> Configuration Settings : 1
    >> Open Pipes : 2
    >> Transfer Type : Bulk
    >> Data Packet Size : 64 byte(s)
    >>
    >> The device is connected to the front ports on my PC, and I'm wondering if
    >> it needs to be a direct connection (I.e. it sees the front ports as a
    >> hub?) could this be the problem?
    >>
    >> Thanks again.
    >>
    >> Nik.
    >>
    >> "R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    >>> According to Asus's product specifications, that Motherboard
    >>> has up to 8 USB ports and all are 2.0 compliant. Aside from a
    >>> Service Pack you might need the Intel Chipset Driver package.
    >>> This installs system/core component drivers. Also, BIOS will
    >>> have configuration options for USB. You should probably go
    >>> through the setup and ensure that USB is configured for High
    >>> Speed (USB2.0) operation.
    >>> The latest version is 7.2.1.1003, that you can get from the Intel
    >>> Downloads page:
    >>> http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df-external/Filter_Results.aspx?strOSs=44&strTypes=DRV,ARC&ProductID=816&OSFullName=Windows*%20XP%20Professional
    >>>

    >>> "Nik" <nik.walmsleySPAMKILL@btinternet.com> wrote in message

  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    I had this problem recently with my ASUS P533-VM board. Actually, the
    problem may have been there for years since we did not use the USB ports for
    anything until now. This is what I found out. Others have had similar
    problem with ASUS and some other brand also and in the case of ASUS the
    solution is to increase or decrease the BIOS setting for the power supplied
    to the USB. Setting it too high (there are four settings on my ASUS - Low,
    Normal, High and Very High, actually the wording may be different, I just do
    not remember at the moment). Setting this to too high makes the USB port
    turn on and off every few seconds. Too low and only USB 1 available.
    Regardless on the setting that makes it work, it does not work too well and
    I gave up on it after while. Since the warning comes on every time you plug
    in a USB 2 device in one of the ports, there is a setting in the driver to
    turn off this warning.

    --
    Pavel

    "Nik" <nik.walmsleySPAMKILL@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I have USB2 on my PC, on my Asus P5GDC MoBo with P4 3.2ghz/1.5gb ddr RAM,
    > Xp
    > SP2 etc etc.
    >
    > When I plug my iPod into it it states it will run at a reduced speed
    > because
    > I don't have the latest controllers for my USB.
    >
    > Microsoft Knowledge base tells me to update to latest Service pack, which
    > already have (not separate install, it was a fresh XP SP2 install).
    >
    > Any ideas how to activate the USB2 capabilities on this?
    >
    > Many Thanks.
    >
    > Nik.

  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    http://www.u3.com/
    interesting facts.

    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP

    Nik wrote:

    > Cool, will do. Thanks again for the advice.
    >
    > Nik.
    >
    > "R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Full is the nomenclature for the original USB 1.0 standard.
    >>High Speed is the description for USB 2.0. I can't speak to the
    >>Intel 915 based chipset. On my 865 chipset the BIOS setup will
    >>allow you to configure USB for either operating mode. In effect
    >>you can turn off USB2.0 and force USB1 level performance.
    >>As far as Device Manager is concerned, you'll have a number
    >>of Host controllers that serve a Root Hub that provides the USB
    >>slots or channels. From your Sandra data it appears that the
    >>Controllers are set to Full Speed operation. I would still check
    >>BIOS and confirm the settings for USB.
    >>
    >>"Nik" <nik.walmsleySPAMKILL@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>The problem I have is that I don't understand why SiSandra reports that
    >>>the speed is "FULL"? :-
    >>>
    >>>SiSoftware Sandra
    >>>
    >>>General Information
    >>>Controller : Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM USB Universal Host Controller - 265B
    >>>
    >>>Root Hub
    >>>Compound Device : No
    >>>Hub Is Bus Powered : No
    >>>Power Switching : None
    >>>Over-current Protection : Individual
    >>>Number of Ports : 2
    >>>
    >>>Root Hub: USB Port 1
    >>>
    >>>Root Hub: USB Port 2
    >>>Device Connected to Port : USB Mass Storage Device
    >>>OEM Device Name : Apple Computer, Inc. ??? (1205)
    >>>Device Version : 0.01
    >>>Device ID : VEN_05AC, DEV_1205, PRT_00
    >>>USB Version : 2.00
    >>>Speed : Full (12Mbps)
    >>>Configuration Settings : 1
    >>>Open Pipes : 2
    >>>Transfer Type : Bulk
    >>>Data Packet Size : 64 byte(s)
    >>>
    >>>The device is connected to the front ports on my PC, and I'm wondering if
    >>>it needs to be a direct connection (I.e. it sees the front ports as a
    >>>hub?) could this be the problem?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks again.
    >>>
    >>>Nik.
    >>>
    >>>"R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote in message

  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 17:50:21 -0700, "Pavel" <Atin90@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >"Nik" <nik.walmsleySPAMKILL@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I have USB2 on my PC, on my Asus P5GDC MoBo with P4 3.2ghz/1.5gb ddr RAM,
    >> Xp
    >> SP2 etc etc.
    >>
    >> When I plug my iPod into it it states it will run at a reduced speed
    >> because
    >> I don't have the latest controllers for my USB.
    >>
    >> Microsoft Knowledge base tells me to update to latest Service pack, which
    >> already have (not separate install, it was a fresh XP SP2 install).
    >>
    >> Any ideas how to activate the USB2 capabilities on this?
    >>
    >> Many Thanks.
    >>
    >> Nik.

    Nik
    I had the same problem with a Asus MB A7V333 it wouldn't let my ipod
    use USB2, I went to the Via website and downloaded the USB2 driver and
    installed and now no probs with ipod. I don't know if your MB uses the
    via chipset for usb.
    James
    --
    Take the FUN out of my email address to reply.
    They think it's all over... it is now.

Microsoft Windows XP