Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution

You asked, and I will tell. The sunlight that falls on the USA for five minutes could power the entire USA for 60 years. And just so you realize, during commercial power generation, between the power plant and the home which uses electricity, over 60% of the electrical power is lost due to the resistance of the electric power lines. *source: California energy commission
Therefore, ANY electrical generation source located at the home is more efficient than commercial power, located some miles away.
Speaking of solar energy, you are doing the earth an immense favor by reducing CO2 gasses released from commercial...

You asked, and I will tell. The sunlight that falls on the USA for five minutes could power the entire USA for 60 years. And just so you realize, during commercial power generation, between the power plant and the home which uses electricity, over 60% of the electrical power is lost due to the resistance of the electric power lines. *source: California energy commission
Therefore, ANY electrical generation source located at the home is more efficient than commercial power, located some miles away.
Speaking of solar energy, you are doing the earth an immense favor by reducing CO2 gasses released from commercial power generation plants. ALL energy can easily be produced by solar, wind, geothermal and hydroelectric sources, without burning ANY fuels.
The technology to do this exists right now.
In some communities, a special electric meter is fitted to the home. This meter runs backwards when solar energy is fed back into the electric grid. This will reduce your electric bill, and can reduce it to zero, depending on how many solar panels you are willing to install.
The answer to the question is YES.

Solution
The gadget you linked to is basically an emergency source of power.

"Solar panel-28W full tempered glass plate
Maintenance-free lead-acid battery - 12V12AH"

And 12 volt at 12 amp-hours is almost a trivial amount of power.

No, it doesn't. Solar and wind are not bad, part time supplements (and I am willing to admit that every little bit helps). But current photovoltaic cells have a limited life - about 20 - 30 years. And they need to be kept clean or their efficiency drops.

Geothermal has its own problems, primarily it's useful on only very limited areas.

Of the four alternatives that you mentioned, only hydroelectric has the capability of providing the high energy density needed to run a modern industrial society. And about everywhere that we can build hydroelectric plants, we have.

dextercath96

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010

Thanks for the information about solar power . You give me a great information!

And just one more thing: Solar panels used on spacecraft right now, are 10 times more efficient than the consumer type solar panels. The technology which exists today is being kept out of the market place deliberately. Obviously, consumers using this technology would threaten the profits of commercial power companies in a big way.

Status
Not open for further replies.