Sign in with
Your question

HDMI Hookups

Last response: in Home Theatre
January 13, 2010 10:45:46 PM

1st...I am an electronics idiot! I have an 31" Samsung LCD TV and a Onkyo 7.1 surround system. I recieve digital/HD from Time/Warner cable. I have a HDMI cable running from cable box to surround reciever and another HDMI cable running from surround reciever to TV. I am getting no sound from the TV only thru the surround speakers. Am I hooked up wrong? This is all new equipment and the manuals are making no sense to me. HELP!!

More about : hdmi hookups

a b x TV
January 14, 2010 2:09:12 AM

I guess the question is why are you worried about audio from the TV when you have a 7.1 surround sound system? If, for some reason, you're only looking for TV audio, then probably the easiest way would be to use a secondary output from your TWC set top box (preferably component or other HDMI) straight to your TV.

Sorry, but I'm a little confused by your situation.

-Wolf sends
m
l
January 14, 2010 6:21:55 PM

@Wolf
Maybe he is like me. I only use the surround sound when watching HDTV shows that warrant the sound system like movies and sports. Otherwise just the TV speakers for stuff like watching the news.

@manglingmantis - If that is the case then I would follow Wolfshadw's advice depending on what your STB has for outputs.
m
l
January 18, 2010 5:59:05 PM

your tv speakers may be turned off. so you could look for that in the tv menu. or you could just use the hdmi straight into the tv and then use some audio rca cables coming out of the monitor out on the tv, back into the surround sound receiver. thats what i do, then i dont have to switch imputs on the surround sound to. so whatever the tv hears the surround hears as well.

sincerely, cable tech
m
l
!