Internet settings greyed out

im15

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011
Hello. I recently went into my security settings in Google Chrome (The same is in IE8) and had seen that the slider that adjusts the settings for restricted sites is greyed out and i cannot change it. I've seen on many forums that this can be fixed with a simple registry edit. The closest i've come is by going into regedit and accessing;

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones

From there i'm confused. There are four sub-folders labeled 1 - 4 excluding a fifth folder called 0.
Which folder do i access and edit or am i in a completely wrong spot?

I am the Administrator. I have run multiple security scans. And also, my laptop is up to date with updates.

Running Windows 7 Enterprise.
32-bit
i3 CPU

Solution
It would be greyed out as an option because of the security settings being managed by the Active Directory system. Your Network/Domain administrators are managing this for all systems and it is separate from giving you local admin rights on the system.

You need to talk to whoever is managing the overall network to address your question properly.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Since you are running Enterprise, is this computer part of a domain managed by a company/organization? If so, you need to talk to your IT folks. These settings are likely being set by the domain's AD server based on organizational security settings.

If this system is not part of a domain, why are you using the Enterprise version?

im15

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011

It is actually a school laptop but they are not strict whatsoever with the security as we have them at our own risk. I'm the administrator of it and am allowed to change nearly all of the settings. No blocked websites, no needing admin privileges to install something, so i was just curious as to why this would be greyed out.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
It would be greyed out as an option because of the security settings being managed by the Active Directory system. Your Network/Domain administrators are managing this for all systems and it is separate from giving you local admin rights on the system.

You need to talk to whoever is managing the overall network to address your question properly.

Solution

im15

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011

Well thankyou for your feedback. Was quite helpful actually.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
You are most welcome. BTW, I have the same sort of settings on the network I use at my office and I am admin on my system. Just as an aside, even if you changed the settings successfully, the next time you logged into the network the original settings would be restored.

TRENDING THREADS