XP won't boot, keyboard dead and stripey screen

Hi,

I can't get XP to boot and I can't sort it out in start-up as the keyboard
doesn't work either. There is power coming throgh as the mouse's light is on
(mouse is atttached to keyboard). DVD/CD drivers spin and all fans are
running. The Windows image comes up (where the green light normally does its
Knight Rider thing), but instead the green/blue light goes straight accross
the screen. After it has done this it takes me to a screeen with stripes.
Initially they were blue and yellow.On the most recent attempt to boot they
were black and khaki green.

All help most gratefully appreciated!

Andy
5 answers Last reply
More about boot keyboard dead stripey screen

    Andy wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I can't get XP to boot and I can't sort it out in start-up as the
    > keyboard doesn't work either. There is power coming throgh as the
    > mouse's light is on (mouse is atttached to keyboard). DVD/CD drivers
    > spin and all fans are running. The Windows image comes up (where the
    > green light normally does its Knight Rider thing), but instead the
    > green/blue light goes straight accross the screen. After it has done
    > this it takes me to a screeen with stripes. Initially they were blue
    > and yellow.On the most recent attempt to boot they were black and
    > khaki green.

    It sounds as though you have hardware failure. I'll give you general
    hardware troubleshooting steps, but if you don't have the skill and/or
    extra tools and components with which to do the testing you should take
    your computer to a professional computer repair shop (not your local
    equivalent of BigStoreUSA).

    1) Open the computer and run it open, cleaning out all dust bunnies and
    observing all fans (overheating will cause system freezing). Obviously
    you can't do this with a laptop, but you can hear if the fan is running
    and feel if the laptop is getting too hot.

    2) Test the RAM - I like Memtest86+ from www.memtest.org. Obviously, you
    have to get the program from a working machine. You will either
    download the precompiled Windows binary to make a bootable floppy or
    the .iso to make a bootable cd. If you want to use the latter, you'll
    need to have third-party burning software on the machine where you
    download the file - XP's built-in burning capability won't do the job.
    In either case, boot with the media you made. The test will run
    immediately. Let the test run for an extended period of time - unless
    errors are seen immediately. If you get any errors, replace the RAM.

    3) Test the hard drive with a diagnostic utility from the mftr. Usually
    you will download the file and make a bootable floppy with it. Boot
    with the media and do a thorough test. If the drive has physical
    errors, replace it.

    4) The power supply may be going bad or be inadequate for the devices
    you have in the system. The adequacy issue doesn't really apply to a
    laptop, although of course the power
    supply can be faulty.

    5) Test the motherboard with something like TuffTest from
    www.tufftest.com. Sometimes this is useful, and sometimes it isn't.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers

    Malke,

    Let me decree sainthood on you right now. After running the memtest floppy
    things are as they should be. Even if things go pear shaped hereafter I can
    still get my valuable data off this machine (i.e. my PhD data!). You've
    saved me a lot of work and quite a few quid (I'm from the UK).

    All the best and I'll be sure to pass on the karmic favour to the next
    person in need.

    Andy

    P.S. Just in case you are a Microsoft employee (donn't worry your sainthood
    still stands), I would like to add that I own a couple of Apple's. I have
    never had such good service from them. As we say in the UK, I owe you a
    couple of pints.

    Andy wrote:

    > Malke,
    >
    > Let me decree sainthood on you right now. After running the memtest
    > floppy things are as they should be. Even if things go pear shaped
    > hereafter I can
    > still get my valuable data off this machine (i.e. my PhD data!).
    > You've saved me a lot of work and quite a few quid (I'm from the UK).
    >
    > All the best and I'll be sure to pass on the karmic favour to the next
    > person in need.
    >
    > Andy
    >
    > P.S. Just in case you are a Microsoft employee (donn't worry your
    > sainthood still stands), I would like to add that I own a couple of
    > Apple's. I have never had such good service from them. As we say in
    > the UK, I owe you a couple of pints.

    Bless you ;-). Seriously, I think sainthood is Right Out. I'm not a
    Microsoft employee. Here is a link explaining what an MVP is. Apples
    are nice, but I prefer Linux (SuSE 9.3). XP is nice, too.

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?

    Back up your data and go have a drink. Since I'm in California, USA I
    won't be able to join you, but I appreciate the offer.

    Malke
    --

    Malke wrote:
    > Andy wrote:
    >

    >>Malke,
    >>
    >>Let me decree sainthood on you right now. After running the memtest
    >>floppy things are as they should be. Even if things go pear shaped
    >>hereafter I can
    >>still get my valuable data off this machine (i.e. my PhD data!).
    >>You've saved me a lot of work and quite a few quid (I'm from the UK).
    >>
    >>All the best and I'll be sure to pass on the karmic favour to the next
    >>person in need.
    >>
    >>Andy
    >>
    >>P.S. Just in case you are a Microsoft employee (donn't worry your
    >>sainthood still stands), I would like to add that I own a couple of
    >>Apple's. I have never had such good service from them. As we say in
    >>the UK, I owe you a couple of pints.
    >

    > Bless you ;-). Seriously, I think sainthood is Right Out. I'm not a
    > Microsoft employee. Here is a link explaining what an MVP is. Apples
    > are nice, but I prefer Linux (SuSE 9.3). XP is nice, too.
    >
    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?
    >
    > Back up your data and go have a drink. Since I'm in California, USA I
    > won't be able to join you, but I appreciate the offer.
    >
    > Malke

    Hi Guys,

    I'm now a Mac user although previously I've used OS/2, Unix, Linux and
    Novell for a vafriety of purposes. I found myself headed for the Mac
    after so many frustrations with Windows although in fairness XP has been
    better than before and Windows 2K wasn't too bad.
    What really surprised me here was finding two guys having a sensible and
    pleasant conversation. I'm in the U.K. too and have actually limited my
    use and input into some of these newsgroups because of the types of
    individual you find there.
    Breath of fresh air you guys.

    Claire

    Hi Claire,

    I find these groups a god-send. As you can obviously tell I'm no whiz on the
    hardware (or software for that matter) side of things. Prior to Malke's
    comments I was beginning to wonder whether I'd fried my motherboard. It is
    nice to still see some egalitarianism online rather than being given a dose
    of spyware or something nastier.

    I've never tried Linux as it's always looked too complicated, at least in
    terms of support for printers, scanners, etc. As someone who is scared of
    Dos, Unix is certainly a no go area. Funnily enough though when I was a kid I
    really enjoyed playing around with programming...OK, to the extent that I
    could send swear words around my screen on a Dragon 32.

    Somewhat paradoxically I've always bought into the Microsoft anti-hegemony
    stance but at present I don't see Apple doing anything different (I also
    cannot stand that ad line "Think Different", who are they trying to kid?).
    They've carved themselves a market share and are enjoying their own market
    dominance within the iPod market. Given the opportunity for dominance within
    the home PC market would they toss it out the windown in the name of
    creativity and exclusivity? I think not, hence the Mac mini.

    Although I must add, Apple do known how to spot a good idea idea when the
    see one, e.g. the GUI ala Xerox Parc and cool interfaces since. Shame they
    got rid of Jeff Raskin, how cool could things be now?

    However, I'd also be interested to know more about Monsieur Jobs
    philanthropic activities as Mr Gates is pumping a lot of money into well
    deserved activities. Shame he doesn't have Sir Bob's zeal though as he could
    truly change the world for all and not just for us people with water coolers
    and PC terminals.

    Regarding the Mac vs Pc debate: I love my Mac (especially my un-Tigered G3
    ibook). However for the work that I do which varies form Word to heavy duty
    video stuff my PC (believe it or not home built!) is eminantly more powerful.
    G5's are way too expensive and more expensive to upgrade.

    And then there's the Intel conversion.....!

    Hopefully more sun on the way soon,

    Andy

    "Claire McIvor" wrote:

    > Malke wrote:
    > > Andy wrote:
    > >

    > >>Malke,
    > >>
    > >>Let me decree sainthood on you right now. After running the memtest
    > >>floppy things are as they should be. Even if things go pear shaped
    > >>hereafter I can
    > >>still get my valuable data off this machine (i.e. my PhD data!).
    > >>You've saved me a lot of work and quite a few quid (I'm from the UK).
    > >>
    > >>All the best and I'll be sure to pass on the karmic favour to the next
    > >>person in need.
    > >>
    > >>Andy
    > >>
    > >>P.S. Just in case you are a Microsoft employee (donn't worry your
    > >>sainthood still stands), I would like to add that I own a couple of
    > >>Apple's. I have never had such good service from them. As we say in
    > >>the UK, I owe you a couple of pints.
    > >

    > > Bless you ;-). Seriously, I think sainthood is Right Out. I'm not a
    > > Microsoft employee. Here is a link explaining what an MVP is. Apples
    > > are nice, but I prefer Linux (SuSE 9.3). XP is nice, too.
    > >
    > > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?
    > >
    > > Back up your data and go have a drink. Since I'm in California, USA I
    > > won't be able to join you, but I appreciate the offer.
    > >
    > > Malke
    >
    > Hi Guys,
    >
    > I'm now a Mac user although previously I've used OS/2, Unix, Linux and
    > Novell for a vafriety of purposes. I found myself headed for the Mac
    > after so many frustrations with Windows although in fairness XP has been
    > better than before and Windows 2K wasn't too bad.
    > What really surprised me here was finding two guys having a sensible and
    > pleasant conversation. I'm in the U.K. too and have actually limited my
    > use and input into some of these newsgroups because of the types of
    > individual you find there.
    > Breath of fresh air you guys.
    >
    > Claire

Light Keyboards Boot Windows XP