Need A 5.1 Headset For My X-Fi

wrathloki

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006
So I'm buying an X-Fi Titanium this week and I'm going to get a 5.1 headset to go with it but I'm really confused with what I can and cannot get so that it pairs with the sound card. Looking on the web I find a lot of sets with their own modules or sound cards but nothing that uses the 5 analog connections or an optical connection. Can someone make some suggestions of headsets that would work with my x-fi card? I'm looking for something ~$100.

Grant1872x

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
Did you say 5.1 Headset?? Like headphones...? Does that mean 5 speakers on one output or something... Cause I thought that was sorround sound lol

Sorry... :(

wrathloki

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006

Ya they make 5.1 headphones, and 5.1 is surround sound...

orbach

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
"but I'm really confused with what I can and cannot get so that it pairs with the sound card"

Nothing to worry about. Any headset (any PC headset, that is. Audio headphones use a phono plug incompatible with PC sound inetrfaces) can interface with this adapter. A 5.1 Headset, like the Medusa I own, will have three plugs for Front, Rear, and Center/SubWoofer. You will set the sound adapter using its Audio management console to 5.1 Speakers. This will set the correct output in three of the jacks on the adapter. Simply plug the three plugs into the appropriate jacks. The other adapter jacks will be unused except for the microphone jack, where obviously you plug in the microphone plug.

The point is that the sound adapter jacks in use depend on which speaker mode you use. In Stereo (e.g. simple stereo speaker/headphone) you will use one jack, for example, while in 5.1 you use three jacks. In 7.1 speaker mode you will use all of the jacks there. Surround headsets come in 5.1 mode. I've never heard of a 6.1 or 7.1 headset. You set the speaker mode of the adapter via an Audio Management console of some sort that gets installed with the driver.

wrathloki

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006

So would you recommend the medusa set? Is it pretty good? Where can I find one?

orbach

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
I bought mine a little over 4 years ago and it is still going strong. I'm very happy with them although I've heard people having problems. It could be the cheaper models (without the dedicated amplifier) have some problems.

The one I have is not sold anymore but the current equivalent is their Home Edition version. You can find it at:

http://www.medusa-usa.com/medusa-51-home-edition-p-876.html

Actually only the amplifier has been redesigned. I believe the headset itself is the same. The headset is on the heavy side but I can wear mine comfortably for 3-4 hours.