Zone Alarm Free (60.631.002) Available

**FYI: Not an Advertisement

Looks like Zone Alarm has jumped the scheduled release date
(July 25th) for their new version 6.0 product line, as their site
now has changed the banner to "Available Now".

The 6.0 version of ZAlarm free is available at:
http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/company/products/znalm/freeDownload.jsp

No info on installation/upgrade or performance - so an Image
before installing might be in order.
17 answers Last reply
More about zone alarm free available

    Thank you friend (-:

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

    Quote from: George Ankner

    R. McCarty skrev:

    > The 6.0 version of ZAlarm free is available at:
    > http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/company/products/znalm/freeDownload.jsp
    >
    > No info on installation/upgrade or performance - so an Image
    > before installing might be in order.

    Isn't it quite safe to assume it will take MORE CPU% and RAM?
    All previous update have (should have stayed at 4.5 I think)

    --
    Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ 7297605
    WinXP, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!

    People expect more, and more, from their security applications so the
    companies oblige them. Microsoft has it's eyes on this also but it will take
    quite a bit to knock ZA from the top of "MY" hill.

    I certainly am waiting for the day when I can have one "competent"
    antivirus, anti-spyware, anti-adware, anti-cookie ware and anti-everything
    ware, instead of having to run 4-5 different programs every 3-4 days. That
    day may be close.

    Remembering back to the early 90's, all you needed was either McAfee
    antivirus or Norton AntiVirus. With either, you were protected.

    --

    Richard Urban [MVP] skrev:

    > People expect more, and more, from their security applications so the
    > companies oblige them. Microsoft has it's eyes on this also but it will take
    > quite a bit to knock ZA from the top of "MY" hill.

    I have another AV, use WebWasher and other anti-spyware.

    I only need the Firewall. And I don't like products that
    try to be all-in-one. You never get the best of all then.

    So keep it simple and small - so we can combine the programs
    we want ourselves (and don't need to install several programs that
    hvae the same functionality - using up resources all of them).

    --
    Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ 7297605
    WinXP, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!

    So just get their firewall. What's the problem? No one is forcing you to get
    the ZA Security Suite.

    --

    > Richard Urban [MVP] skrev:
    >
    >> People expect more, and more, from their security applications so the
    >> companies oblige them. Microsoft has it's eyes on this also but it will
    >> take
    >> quite a bit to knock ZA from the top of "MY" hill.
    >
    > I have another AV, use WebWasher and other anti-spyware.
    >
    > I only need the Firewall. And I don't like products that
    > try to be all-in-one. You never get the best of all then.
    >
    > So keep it simple and small - so we can combine the programs
    > we want ourselves (and don't need to install several programs that
    > hvae the same functionality - using up resources all of them).
    >
    > --
    > Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ 7297605
    > WinXP, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!

    "Lars-Erik Østerud" <.@.> wrote in message
    > Richard Urban [MVP] skrev:
    >
    >> People expect more, and more, from their security applications so the
    >> companies oblige them. Microsoft has it's eyes on this also but it will
    >> take
    >> quite a bit to knock ZA from the top of "MY" hill.
    >
    > I have another AV, use WebWasher and other anti-spyware.
    >
    > I only need the Firewall. And I don't like products that
    > try to be all-in-one. You never get the best of all then.
    >
    > So keep it simple and small - so we can combine the programs
    > we want ourselves (and don't need to install several programs that
    > hvae the same functionality - using up resources all of them).
    >
    > --
    > Lars-Erik -

    You don't have to buy the suite, just use the free version.
    And if you are not happy with how much cpu time it uses you are free to
    choose a different product. You could even consider buying one rather than
    using one of the free ones.

    R. McCarty wrote:

    > The 6.0 version of ZAlarm free is available at:
    > http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/company/products/znalm/freeDownload.jsp

    It causes my machine to BSOD when I try to run the .exe to install it.
    Anyone else have this problem, or any clues as to what to do about it?

    If it makes any difference, my current ZA version is 5.0.590.015, and
    I'm running it on XP Pro SP2.

    Actually, the last version 5 was 5.5.094, so you're a little below the
    last 5 iteration. It shouldn't prevent you from upgrading. You may
    have a corrupted installer package and might need to download it
    again. Since yesterday, I've installed it maybe 7-8 times and haven't
    experienced any BSOD's or any other install issues.

    "None" <none@any.where> wrote in message
    > R. McCarty wrote:
    >
    >> The 6.0 version of ZAlarm free is available at:
    >> http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/company/products/znalm/freeDownload.jsp
    >
    > It causes my machine to BSOD when I try to run the .exe to install it.
    > Anyone else have this problem, or any clues as to what to do about it?
    >
    > If it makes any difference, my current ZA version is 5.0.590.015, and I'm
    > running it on XP Pro SP2.

    Same here. I have upgraded my 4 computers and my 2 sons have upgraded
    theirs. No problems encountered, other than a learning curve.

    --

    Richard Urban [MVP] skrev:

    > So just get their firewall. What's the problem? No one is forcing you to get
    > the ZA Security Suite.

    Problem is it's more usual to include ALL code, and only activate by
    license key. So even if you use only some features, it takes up the
    same space (or at least more that needed). Programs get HUGE :-/

    This is not only a ZA issue...

    --

    R. McCarty wrote:

    > "None" <none@any.where> wrote in message
    >
    >>It causes my machine to BSOD when I try to run the .exe to install it.
    >>Anyone else have this problem, or any clues as to what to do about it?
    >>
    >>If it makes any difference, my current ZA version is 5.0.590.015, and I'm
    >>running it on XP Pro SP2.

    > Actually, the last version 5 was 5.5.094, so you're a little below the
    > last 5 iteration. It shouldn't prevent you from upgrading

    That's the version that ZA wanted to upgrade itself to when I tried an
    automatic update. It bluescreened too.

    > You may have a corrupted installer package and might need to download it
    > again.

    Wouldn't think I'd have gotten two of them, would you?

    > Since yesterday, I've installed it maybe 7-8 times and haven't
    > experienced any BSOD's or any other install issues.

    From what I've been able to glean from the forums on ZA's site, you and
    the other successful installers are lucky. There was a thread dating
    from May about this and other issues (apparently some people who *are*
    able to install it are also having problems with BSODs while it's
    running as well). At least someone's working on it, so it's just a
    matter of waiting until they're done. You get what you pay for with a
    free product, don't you? Anyway, I've still got a working version even
    if it is a bit long in the tooth, and that's better than nothing.
    Thanks for trying to help.

    A forum topic from May has no bearing on a program that was released at the
    end of July.

    --

    Richard Urban [MVP] wrote:
    > A forum topic from May has no bearing on a program that was released at the
    > end of July.

    You'd think it wouldn't, but when I went back to it and looked at
    another thread describing the same problem with the last update before
    this one, I found the solution-uninstall the previous version and *then*
    run the installer for the new one.

    Anyway, it's installed, up and running. That's what counts. Thanks
    again to everyone.

    They still haven't fixed an error from the 5.5 version:

    In 5.x the "Overview -> Preferences -> General -> Options -> Display
    Settings -> Remember last tab visited" stopped working. The "overview"
    pane is always displayed when you double-click the tray icon. Even if
    another pane was the last one visited (I always use "Alerts & Logs"
    last).

    Tried to report it as a support case, but as I us the free version,
    they just replied that I got no support (so obviously they don't wnat
    bug reports from "free" users - even if the bug is in "pro" as well)

    --
    Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ 7297605
    WinXP, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!

    Not unless you reboot.

    I think it is working just the way they want it to work. The first time each
    session that you open ZA you get an overview of what has been happening on
    your system. It tells you that all modules are go, without you having to go
    to each page to find out so.

    I like it that way.

    --

    Richard Urban [MVP] skrev:

    > Not unless you reboot.
    >
    > I think it is working just the way they want it to work. The first time each
    > session that you open ZA you get an overview of what has been happening on
    > your system. It tells you that all modules are go, without you having to go
    > to each page to find out so.

    Version 4.5 and older remembered it from boot to boot as well.

    --
    Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ 7297605
    WinXP, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!

    Yes, I know it did and I found it inconvenient. It was never on the page I
    wanted anyway. (-:

    --

    > Richard Urban [MVP] skrev:
    >
    >> Not unless you reboot.
    >>
    >> I think it is working just the way they want it to work. The first time
    >> each
    >> session that you open ZA you get an overview of what has been happening
    >> on
    >> your system. It tells you that all modules are go, without you having to
    >> go
    >> to each page to find out so.
    >
    > Version 4.5 and older remembered it from boot to boot as well.
    >
    > --
    > Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ 7297605
    > WinXP, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!

Performance Microsoft Windows XP