Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi NG,

I have deleted a user profile, but unfortunately the wrong one. So I
have lost a lot of files (Email directory from Thunderbird). After that
I have directly switched off the computer and put the harddisk to
another system.

I have then tried to recover the files with the trial version of Ontrack
Easy recovery professional and R-Studio from R-Tools technology. But
none of the programs found that directory.

So I used a hex editor to scan for a known text string (from an email)
and found the string at a specific sector. So the information is still
there.

Now my question: Is there a program, which I can tell the number of the
sector and the program gives me the complete file or maybe the complete
directory back?

Thanks for your answers,

Bernd.

P.S.: Please dont tell me, that I have to restore the backup 8-(

What kind of backup do you have? There are tools for extracting this stuff
from backup files.

As for the file recovery, have you tried GetDataBack from
http://www.runtime.org/gdb.htm While not free, it will tell you if you can
recover the data before asking you to pay.

Also, here's a freeware alternative:
http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/uk/welcome.htm I have not used this
utility, but it has been recommended to me by others whose opinions I trust.

"Bernd Driesen" wrote:

> Hi NG,
>
> I have deleted a user profile, but unfortunately the wrong one. So I
> have lost a lot of files (Email directory from Thunderbird). After that
> I have directly switched off the computer and put the harddisk to
> another system.
>
> I have then tried to recover the files with the trial version of Ontrack
> Easy recovery professional and R-Studio from R-Tools technology. But
> none of the programs found that directory.
>
> So I used a hex editor to scan for a known text string (from an email)
> and found the string at a specific sector. So the information is still
> there.
>
> Now my question: Is there a program, which I can tell the number of the
> sector and the program gives me the complete file or maybe the complete
> directory back?
>
> Thanks for your answers,
>
> Bernd.
>
> P.S.: Please dont tell me, that I have to restore the backup 8-(

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 16:31:56 +0200, Bernd Driesen
<bernd_driesen@t-online.de> wrote:

>Hi NG,
>
>I have deleted a user profile, but unfortunately the wrong one. So I
>have lost a lot of files (Email directory from Thunderbird). After that
>I have directly switched off the computer and put the harddisk to
>another system.
>
>I have then tried to recover the files with the trial version of Ontrack
>Easy recovery professional and R-Studio from R-Tools technology. But
>none of the programs found that directory.
>
>So I used a hex editor to scan for a known text string (from an email)
>and found the string at a specific sector. So the information is still
>there.
>
>Now my question: Is there a program, which I can tell the number of the
>sector and the program gives me the complete file or maybe the complete
>directory back?
>
>Thanks for your answers,
>
>Bernd.
>
>P.S.: Please dont tell me, that I have to restore the backup 8-(

Hi
Try Executive Software Undelete, it can be run from CD to recover data
without writing on HD. After installed, leave it there, it will help
you the next time you make a mistake, as it keeps all the files you
delete under original directories and fully recoverable. It may slow
down a little bit your computer, but it saves you in those occasions.
Maurizio